Mary Poppins on Broadway
A Practically Perfect Evening
While I'm eternally envious of my Orlando colleagues, there's one advantage I have over them. I can hop on the train and in a bit over an hour, I'm in New York's Grand Central Station.
Months ago we ordered tickets to see Mary Poppins at Disney's New Amsterdam Theater. Finally, October 28 arrived and the four of us were on our way.
Its been years since we've been to a show at the New Amsterdam. If you guess "Lion King" you're wrong. When Disney first restored this theater and was preparing for Lion King, they had special showings of "Hercules" that included a stage show. This is when we first saw this theater's restoration results.
Picture a time when theaters were part of the event. This was the New Amsterdam back in 1903. This ornate venue became the home of the equally elaborate Zeigfield Follies. Over the years, it fell into disrepair until Disney stepped in. Now it has all of the fantastic paintings, carvings, woodwork and tapestry that it was first known for. "Lion King" has recently been moved to the Minskoff theater to make way for this production of "Mary Poppins."
We step into the lobby and when we saw the ticket takers, my husband joked "they look like they're from the Tower of Terror." I've got to admit, the costumes are very similar. Fortunately, no elevators were needed to get to our seats.
Here's a Disney shocker. Before they let you into the main theater, you wait in a vestibule where there's a (get ready for the surprise) souvenir stand! Earlier in the week I read how the Mary Poppins Parrot handled umbrellas are just flying off the shelf. You know where this is going, I had to have one. Why? I make it my personal mission to make sure that Mickey keeps smiling.
In we go. We had fantastic Orchestra seats in the 4th row from the stage. My husband heads to the lounge and returns with the "Perfectly Pomegranate Perfectly Peach Prim and Proper Punch." Here's the deal at this theater. You can't bring drinks inside but if it happens to be in the Mary Poppins souvenir cup it's okay. And, with the show drink, if you pre-order a refill for pick up during Intermission, its half price. The first drink is $13 (in the cup of course) and the refill is $6.50 (in yet another cup) so for $19.50 you get two, count 'em, two souvenir cups plus the two drinks.
(There's also a non-alcoholic special "Sip and Sweep" drink.)
There's something so magical about Broadway. There we are in a legendary theater, the lights dim, the orchestra starts and I literally get chills from being in that moment.
Gavin Lee portrays Bert the Chimney Sweep. He's the award nominated actor from the London Mary Poppins production. In the play, he's not only the Sweep, he's also the show's narrator.
Mary Poppins is played by Ashley Brown. She was one of the 746 Belle's from Broadway's Beauty and the Beast. She had that "practically perfect" air about her and a smile that lit up the theater.
We expected to see the movie on stage, but the play's storyline is different. We weren't disappointed at all as that made it a new and unexpected experience. (The songs from the movie are all there, plus a few new ones.)
The staging is amazing. Most of the action centers around the Banks house on 17 Cherry Tree Lane. This three story edifice fills the stage. When it retracts, the attic (where the Banks children's bedroom is located) descends to stage level.
The actors portraying the Banks family and their staff are outstanding. There's always the fear that the "precocious" level will be a bit too high when it comes to child actors, but "Michael and Jane" were wonderful.
It's hard to say which one number was a show-stopper. "Jolly Holiday", Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" and "Spoonful of Sugar" come to mind, but if I had to pick, "Step in Time" is the one that stood out from the rest. Tap-dancing chimney sweeps fill the stage in this rousing number. The standout is Bert who (thanks to Disney magic) walks up a wall, dances across the ceiling, and walks down the other side. WOW!!
On the other end of the spectrum, the beautiful "Feed the Birds" is the same quiet, heart tugging number as in the screen version of Mary Poppins. (Bring the Kleenex.)
There's kite flying and "nanny" flying as well. Suffice it to say, the finale will leave you wide eyed in amazement, but I don't want to spoil it for those of you who plan on going. (I probably said too much already.)
The play ended with a well deserved standing ovation. I couldn't believe it when I looked at my watch and almost 3 hours had gone by! (I also wondered how the heck we were going to catch the 11:10pm train.)
With the Parrot head umbrella, T-shirt and two souvenir cups in tow, we sprinted to Grand Central. So ended our "
practically perfect" evening at Disney's "Mary Poppins, the new Musical."
This play is still in previews but will be officially opening in November. If you're thinking of going, get those tickets now as this is definitely going to be a smash hit.
- Full list of celebrities attending Star Wars Weekends 2014 - New on the list this year are Mark Hamill and John Ratzenberger.
- Race dates for Disney's Marathon Weekend and Princess Half Marathon - List of all the individual race dates for both weekends.
- Happy 50th anniversary to it's a small world! - it's a small world opened at the New York World's Fair on April 22, 1964.
- Blog - Review: Epcot After Hours Wind Down
- Registration opens for the 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon - Registration spots for the races fill up quickly. If you know for sure you want to participate in one of the events, we recommend you register as soon as possible.
- Happy 16th anniversary to Disney's Animal Kingdom - Disney's Animal Kingdom opened on April 22, 1998 - Earth Day.
- Thinking about booking your trip with a travel agent? - Why it's important to book with a travel agent that specializes in Disney vacations.
- Anna and Elsa meet and greet moves to Magic Kingdom today - These popular princesses will no longer be seen in Epcot's Norway pavilion.
- Planning to be at Disney World on Easter? - List of church services, dinners and special activities taking place at Walt Disney World on Easter.
- Blog - Ranking our 5 Senses in Disney's Theme Parks
- Spots still available at Tables in Wonderland event on April 19 - This buffet will bring Tables in Wonderland members together during the Festival for dinner and drinks, then you will head to the Flower Power Concert series to hear the sounds of The Grass Roots.
- Menu items for Epcot After Hours Wind Down - Tickets, which can be reserved in advance, include one beverage and a selection of light snacks.
- Rehabs planned for two of Disney's golf courses - Disney's Magnolia Golf Course and Disney's Oak Trail Golf Course will be closed 5/21 - 6/4/2014.
- Guests at the Swan and Dolphin can now book their FastPass+ 60 days in advance - Onsite resort guests and guests at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin can make FastPass+ reservations up to 60 days in advance. Annual Passholders and offsite guests can make their reservations up to 30 days in advance.
- Blog - Actors Fund Gala Tickets Honoring Disney Theatricals on Sale Now
- Changes to Earl of Sandwich menu - Prices have increased by about 50 cents per sandwich. New sandwiches have been added and others have been removed.
- Epcot After Hours Wind Down lounges to be available - Stick around after IllumiNations for an evening at one of 4 exclusive lounges featuring food and beverages from award-winning Epcot chefs and sommeliers.
- Annual passholders can save up to 35% on WDW hotels, plus get free Memory Maker photos! - Guests will save up to 35% on their room, plus get free Memory Maker digital photos. Discount is valid for travel between 6/16/14 - 8/2/14.
- Blog - VIDEO: Disney reveals first look at animatronics and scenes inside Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- Meet the Easter Bunny at the Magic Kingdom April 13-20 - The Easter Bunny will also have a special pre-parade appearance on 4/19 and 4/20/14. He will be joined by other springtime characters, dancers and the Azalea Trail Maids.
- Carbon-Freeze Me experience at Star Wars Weekends to offer X-Wing Pilots and more - In addition to the carbonite figure, last year's Stormtrooper will be available, as well as two new figurines - an Alderaan Princess and X-Wing Pilot.
- Blog - Third Annual Easter Egg Display at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- Easter activities and special dining menus at Walt Disney World resorts - List of events planned at Walt Disney World resorts.
- Blog - Disney Infinity Teases Marvel & Confirms Version 2.0
- October 2014 Walt Disney World park hours released - List of times for parades, fireworks, and park hours.
- Blog - What To Expect When You're...Cruising with Disney and a Baby: Part 2
- Big Thunder Mountain closed for 2 days for rehab - The attraction will be closed 4/7-4/9/14.
- Surprising your family with a trip to Disney? Check out our tips! - Surprising the kids with a Disney vacation is part of the thrill for some parents. Others would love to do it, but aren’t sure how to pull it off. Here are some different approaches to creating that special surprise for your family!
- Blog - New Lawsuit Attacks Disney’s New Disability Access Service
- VIDEO: Illuminations Sparkling Dessert Party at Epcot - Enjoy a special fireworks viewing area and desserts from around World Showcase paired with sparkling wines.
- Tables in Wonderland event at Golden Oak's Markham's restaurant - For this special evening, guests will dine at the exclusive Markham's restaurant at Disney's Golden Oak Club, Walt Disney World's private residential community.
- Blog - Review: Epcot's new IllumiNations Sparkling Dessert Party
- Blog - Review: Epcot Gardens of the World Tour
- Dates announced for Sounds Like Summer Concert series - The Sounds Like Summer Concert Series features some of the greatest tribute bands rockin' to U2, The Bee Gees, the Eagles and many more during select nights from June to July.
- Night of Joy tickets now on sale - Disney's Night of Joy features contemporary Christian performers. The star-studded lineup is always outstanding and features a host of Dove Award and Grammy Award winning artists.
- Blog - DVC Owner To File Class Action Demanding More FastPass+ Experiences
- Blog - Walt Disney World is now selling MagicBands to Offsite Day Guests
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - World Showcase - The American Adventure - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at World Showcase - The American Adventure, February 12, 2014 - Afternoon.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - World Showcase - Italy - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at World Showcase - Italy, February 12, 2014 - Afternoon
- Parking prices increase at Walt Disney World - Prices have increased $2 for each category.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Echo Lake - Academy Hall of Fame - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Echo Lake - Academy Hall of Fame, February 12, 2014 - Morning
- Cirque du Soleil discount offered for Tables in Wonderland members - Discounted tickets are available for performances April 1-May 10 and May 27-June 28, 2014.
- Tables in Wonderland Flower and Garden Festival Special Dining Event - This buffet will bring Tables in Wonderland members together during the Festival for dinner and drinks, then you will head to the Flower Power Concert series to hear the sounds of The Grass Roots.
- Fittipaldi Cup racing event planned for Walt Disney World Speedway - The Exotic Driving Experience and 2014 Rolex 24 winner Christian Fittipaldi are putting on a half-day racing event at the Walt Disney World Speedway.
- Grand Floridian hosts Edible Easter Egg Display - This is the third year the resort has hosted the display of hand-painted edible Easter eggs; the eggs are 16 to 20 inches tall.
- Star Wars-themed character meals at Hollywood Studios! - For a limited time, guests will have the opportunity to dine with Star Wars characters or Disney characters dressed up in their Star Wars costumes.
- New 2015 Disney Crusie Line Destinations - Disney Cruise Line has added new destinations for 2015! For the first time, the Disney Magic will set sail for Northern Europe, visiting the Norwegian fjords, Iceland and the Faroe Islands. Seven- and nine-night sailings will depart from Copenhagen, Denmark and will immerse guests in the Viking history of this mystical land, which served as the backdrop for Disney's blockbuster film Frozen. Sail past mountains, glaciers, geysers and fjords and stop in port cities reminiscent of storybook villages.
- Kouzzina by Cat Cora to close September 30 - A new restaurant will open in its place this fall.
- Blog - Saying Farewell to Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade at Animal Kingdom
- Blog - The Dream of Retiring to Central Florida
- Egg-stravaganza Easter egg hunt planned for Epcot - Search for special hidden Disney character "eggs" at Epcot.
- Blog - Review: “Muppets Most Wanted” Now Touring Worldwide and in Theaters!
- Blog - Five Reasons You Should Go See 'Muppets Most Wanted' This Weekend
- Mark Hamill - Luke Skywalker - will be attending Star Wars Weekends! - This will be the actor's first appearance at Star Wars Weekends.
- PEEPS-themed Easter events planned for the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin - The resort will be celebrating a PEEPtastic week 4/16 - 4/20/14.
- Brunch planned to debut new Disney Collection by Vera Bradley design - "Mickey's Perfect Petals" will be showcased at the brunch and will be available for purchase.
- Blog - New Frozen Merchandise at Disney Parks
- Extended preview of Maleficent film at Disney's Hollywood Studios - The upcoming Maleficent film, starring Angelina Jolie, opens in theaters May 30. Theme park guests can see an extended preview of the film beginning April 18 and running through mid-June.
- Food Truck Park to open at Downtown Disney - The Food Truck Park is currently under construction and should open this summer between Bongos and Starbucks.
- Blog - Review: Disney's 'Saving Mr. Banks' Now Available On Blu-ray, DVD, & Digital Download
- Blog - Review: "Frozen" Blu-ray Hits Shelves
- Blog - Top 10 Reasons Why March 18th Is The Best Day Ever For Disney Fans
- First quarter earnings for Universal Orlando
- Cell phone charging stations added to Magic Kingdom
- Today Show to film at Universal Orlando on Friday
- James Cameron pleased with Disney's Avatar Land design
- Disney one of the world's most disappointing destinations?
- Universal Orlando painters sent to hospital
- Kickstarter campaign hopes to raise money for "Dark Side of Disney" film
- Disney plans four Star Wars children's books
- SeaWorld Orlando offers summer camps for kids
- Walt Disney World offers new contract to unions
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 11:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 9:30
9:00 - 8:00
10:00 - 6:00
10:00 - 6:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Magic Kingdom
Extra Magic Hour Evening: Hollywood Studios