- Driving distances between major cities and Orlando These are the distances between what we feel are Major Cities that are with-in a realistic driving distance to Orlando.
- Disney property driving distances - Find the driving distances between Walt Disney World locations.
- Disney Property driving directions - Find Directions on Disney Property.
- Walt Disney World Gas Stations
- Orlando Airport Transportation
A vacation that involves driving the family to Florida requires more than getting a map and piling the kids in the car. Taking time to attend to a few things before you pack can insure that you get to your destination safely.
The most important thing is to have your car checked and have any necessary repairs made before you venture on your trip.
Be sure you have an emergency kit with you. It should include:
- Emergency flares
- Car jack
- Tool kit with the basic tools
- Jumper cables
- Work gloves
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Paper towels
The thought of the price of gas keeping you awake at nights? Check on www.gasbuddy.com for the best spots to fill the tank along the way.
A cell phone is a necessity. Keep it properly charged. If you don't have a car adaptor for your phone, now is the time to invest in one as well as a hands free headset. Make yourself familiar with the laws of each state that you're traveling through regarding its use. The same holds true of radar detectors. Some states prohibit them.
If you can splurge a bit, consider investing in a mobile GPS system. This is especially helpful if you run into traffic and want to find the best way around it. it can also help you to locate area restaurants, gas stations and hotels. You can also get a GPS app for most smartphones.
Consider joining an Auto Club. They can provide roadside assistance as well as help with planning your route.
It's smart to bring spare keys that are kept separate from the ones you are using. Important documents to bring includes your driver's license, insurance cards (auto and medical), emergency phone numbers, travel itinerary (including your hotel confirmation numbers), maps, and trip directions.
If you purchased tires at a chain store, bring the paperwork. We bought ours from Sam's Club and we had a tire go flat while spending the night at a hotel. It saved us from having to purchase a new tire at full price. The same holds true for any repairs that come with guarantees. Bring the proof with you.
Summer driving in Florida offers some unique challenges. Many breakdowns are caused by the intense heat. The sudden rainstorms create road hazards that can cause an accident.
Keeping one eye on the weather as you drive is very important to safe travel. Thunderstorms come up suddenly and while often brief, can be intense. I'll never forget the time we drove to Orlando and saw a bolt of lightning set the ground around a tree on fire. If you lose visibility, slow down, head for the nearest exit ramp and find a place to park and wait out the storm.
If you are considering bringing a pet with you, think twice. Leaving your pet at home with a pet sitter or boarding it in a kennel is the kindest thing you can do. Florida heat can be deadly, and a pet left in a car for only a few minutes could suffer. If you can't leave the pooch behind, bring its inoculation records and a current photo.
Are we there yet?? The words that every parent dreads. With a little planning you can help make the drive as enjoyable as possible. The secret is to get the kids involved in planning what to do during the trip, plus you can plan a few extra surprises to spring on them.
Whoever invented the portable DVD player must have driven with a little one. These units are godsends and well worth purchasing. Naturally, you'll want to bring your collection of Disney DVDs.
There's no end to handheld electronic games you can bring. Just be sure to have adaptors and/or spare batteries. You can get a car cigarette lighter adaptor that can accommodate two plug-ins.
If you want to involve the family in a game, there's always the fun of looking for out of state license plates or the "Disney Guessing Game." You think of something associated with Disney World and the others each take a turn asking one question until they correctly guess what it is.
A few other ideas:
1. You should pack a goody bag for each child. Include small surprises, easy to eat snacks, stickers, etc.
2. Bring lots of water
3. Lock the doors of the car at all times when traveling
4. Bring pillows for the kids and their favorite stuffed toy
5. Keep an umbrella in the car
6. Carry a notebook and jot down where a favorite roadside restaurant was located or where you found a restroom when those immortal words were uttered "I'VE GOTTA GO NOW!!"
7. Keep a trash bag in the car
8. Get a container of wet wipes and keep it handy
9. Take breaks. Sure, you want to get to Mickey, but everyone needs a chance to stop and stretch their legs
10. Reserve hotel rooms in advance for stops along the route
Planning ahead is the most important element of a fun and stress free auto trip.
- Blog - Preview: “Saving Mr. Banks”
- Beaches and Cream will begin accepting reservations December 18 - This small soda fountain restaurant serves burgers, sandwiches and their signature ice cream desserts.
- Limited Time Magic: Secret Santa Week - Visit the Town Square Christmas Tree on Main Street and see Duffy in his Christmas outfit. Other Disney characters will be located around the park. Get a special decorated keepsake card from each one as a souvenir.
- Limited Time Magic: Tour the Magic Kingdom with Phil Holmes - 25 lucky guests will get to tour the park with current Vice President Phil Holmes.
- Blog - Best Places to View EPCOT’s Illuminations: Reflections of Earth
- VIDEO: Holiday Storytellers - The Canadian Holiday Voyageurs - New to Holidays Around The World 2013 at Epcot in 2013 are the Canadian Holiday Voyageurs. The Canadian Holiday Voyageurs play multiple sets each day filled with Christmas songs done the Canadian way on the Mill Stage.
- Blog - EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW with Jonathan Groff from FROZEN
- Guests at All Star Resorts will no longer receive Key to the World cards - As of 12/2/13, guests at All Star Sports Resort will no longer receive a Key to the World card. All information for the resort and parks will be on the Magic Band you receive when you check in. This will begin at All Star Music on 12/4/13 and at All Star Movies on 12/6/13. This system is already in place at Pop Century.
- VIDEO: it's a small world Holiday Full POV Ride-Through - The happiest cruise that ever sailed gets even merrier for the holidays. it's a small world, the 1964 World's Fair attraction that came to Disneyland in 1966, gets a full overlay for the holiday season including decorations and a new soundtrack!
- Atlanta Braves spring training tickets now on sale - The Atlanta Braves return to ESPN Wide World of Sports for their annual spring training. Tickets are first come/first served and the games take place at Champion Stadium.
- Blog - Give Kids the World Village and Giving Tuesday December 3, 2013
- VIDEO: Gran Fiesta Tour POV Ride-Through - Donald Duck disappears on his way to a Three Caballeros performance in Mexico City and his friends, José Carioca and Panchito Pistoles, set out to search for him.
- Blog - Brewing Now: Joffrey’s Disney Parks Collection of Coffees
- Blog - A Brit’s Perspective – Visiting the UK in Orlando
- Specialty food and drink offered for holidays at Epcot - New this holiday season, each country will be serving a specialty food and drink.
- New bus loop at Magic Kingdom open - In addition to regular single stops, there are several double stops that will accommodate two regular buses or one of the new articulated buses.
- Limited Time Magic: Donate a Duffy the Disney Bear to Toys for Tots - Visit the Once Upon a Toy store or the World of Disney store at Downtown Disney and with every $5 purchase, Disney will donate a Duffy the Disney Bear toy to Toys for Tots.
- Limited Time Magic: Jolly Year of the Ear - Celebrate the season in style with Santa Mickey and Minnie Santa ear hats - only available for a short time at the Emporium at Magic Kingdom.
- Times and dates for Epcot holiday storytellers - Each country has its own special theme that highlights its culture. Storytellers will delight you with tales of their heritage and how the holidays are celebrated in their homeland.
- VIDEO: "Let It Go" from Disney's Frozen in Celebrate the Magic - This holiday season, "Let It Go" from Disney's Frozen is featured in Celebrate the Magic, the nighttime projection show on Cinderella Castle.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Main Street Plaza - Cinderella Castle - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Main Street Plaza - Cinderella Castle November 11, 2013 - Night
- Blog - Happy Thanksgiving from the Magic Kingdom!
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Main Street U.S.A. Bridge - Main Street U.S.A. - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Main Street U.S.A. Bridge - Main Street U.S.A., November 11, 2013 - Night
- Blog - Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom: Turnstile-Free!
- New holiday entertainment for the Canada pavilion at Epcot - Follow the Canadian Holiday Voyageurs on a musical tour to discover the country's holiday customs.
- Blog - Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights 101
- Royal Caribbean is offering a $200 Onboard Credit and 50% Reduced Deposit! - The offer is only available for booking on December 2, 3 and 4, 2013.
- Disney Vacation Club members offered event at Splitsville Luxury Lanes - On December 2 and 9 from 5-6:45pm, the experience will include bowling, shoe rental, a shared appetizer, an entree (or kids' meal), a signature beverage and a special DVC gift.
- Several rehabs added for early 2014 - The Magic Carpets of Aladdin, Festival of the Lion King, Kali River Rapids, and the Studio Backlot Tour have all been added to the rehab list.
- Aulani named Best for Families by Fodor's Travel - Aulani was recently named "Best for Families" by Fodor's Travel in their "Top 10 Hawaiian Resorts for 2013" list.
- Blog - Review: “Frozen”
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Main Street Train Station - Main Street U.S.A. - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Main Street Train Station - Main Street U.S.A., November 11, 2013 - Night
- Limited Time Magic: Thanksgiving Treats Available - Special treats will be available at various locations in the theme parks.
- New Year's Eve dining info for Swan and Dolphin Hotels - The restaurants of the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin will be offering special New Year's Eve menus.
- Walt Disney World Annual Passholders can save up to 37% at select hotels - Discount is valid for travel between 1/4/14-3/18/14, 3/14/14-3/29/14, 1/19/14-3/13/14 and 3/30/14-4/12/14.
- Blog - Why I’m excited to take my baby on a Disney Cruise!
- Limited Time Magic: Jingle Cruise poster giveaway - Celebrate the Jingle Cruise at Magic Kingdom and Disneyland Park with a complimentary mini poster while supplies last.
- Several rehabs scheduled for the Magic Kingdom - Among the closings are The Plaza Restaurant, Pinocchio Village Haus, Tomorrowland Transit Authority People Mover, Barnstormer, and the Liberty Square Riverboat.
- Blog - Disney’s Newest Animated Feature “Frozen” Flurries Into Theme Parks On Both Coasts
- The Comedy Warehouse Holiday Special to return? - Rumors are that the popular holiday version of The Comedy Warehouse will be returning to Hollywood Studios this year.
- Blog - EXCLUSIVE: Nikon becomes the Official Camera of Walt Disney World and Disneyland
- VIDEO: Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2013 - What happens when you combine one 30,000 pound, 65 foot tree, one 40 foot star, 5500 twinkling lights, 430 feet of garland, 325 ornaments, 275 feet of strung popcorn, 400 flickering candles, 135 candy canes, 100 gingerbread cookies and the Disney Characters? Why, you have the perfect recipe for Christmas at the Magic Kingdom!
- Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party Photography - Creative photos from Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party
- Christmas dining options for Walt Disney World - All restaurants on property will be open as normal, but some are serving special Christmas menus.
- Thanksgiving dining options at Walt Disney World - All restaurants on property will be open as normal, but some are serving special Thanksgiving menus.
- New looks available for the holidays at Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique - Now through 1/3/14, little girls can choose from a Frozen Package or a Holiday Minnie Package.
- Santa Claus comes to Downtown Disney - At the Marketplace, you'll find Santa Claus waiting to greet you at his chalet in front of the World of Disney store.
- VIDEO: Josh Gad - Voice of Olaf in "Frozen" - Interview - Josh Gad, the voice of Olaf in "Frozen" and "World of Color - Winter Dreams" and Tony Award nominee for "The Book of Mormon", takes a few minutes to talk about how important it was to work on a Disney film that led to a theme park experience and the music behind it all.
- All guests at Pop Century will now use MagicBands - As of 11/14/13, guests at Pop Century will no longer receive a Key to the World card. All information for the resort and parks will be on the Magic Band you receive when you check in.
- Cheap Trick and Trisha Yearwood cancel SeaWorld performances
- Joan Jett tells SeaWorld to stop using her song
- Disney produces animated "it's a small world" web series
- Heart is the third musical group to cancel SeaWorld performance
- Willie Nelson backs out of SeaWorld Orlando's Bands, Brew & BBQ event
- Disney obtains distrbution rights to future Indiana Jones films
- Family sues Disney when woman dies from complications after a fall
- Disney's PhotoPass+ changing to Memory Maker
- WestJet debuts Sorcerer Mickey plane
- Seaworld Orlando's Shamu show closes for 3 months