- Driving distances between major cities and Orlando These are the distances between what we feel are Major Cities that are with-in a realistic driving distance to Orlando.
- Disney property driving distances - Find the driving distances between Walt Disney World locations.
- Disney Property driving directions - Find Directions on Disney Property.
- Walt Disney World Gas Stations
- Orlando Airport Transportation
A vacation that involves driving the family to Florida requires more than getting a map and piling the kids in the car. Taking time to attend to a few things before you pack can insure that you get to your destination safely.
The most important thing is to have your car checked and have any necessary repairs made before you venture on your trip.
Be sure you have an emergency kit with you. It should include:
- Emergency flares
- Car jack
- Tool kit with the basic tools
- Jumper cables
- Work gloves
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Paper towels
The thought of the price of gas keeping you awake at nights? Check on www.gasbuddy.com for the best spots to fill the tank along the way.
A cell phone is a necessity. Keep it properly charged. If you don't have a car adaptor for your phone, now is the time to invest in one as well as a hands free headset. Make yourself familiar with the laws of each state that you're traveling through regarding its use. The same holds true of radar detectors. Some states prohibit them.
If you can splurge a bit, consider investing in a mobile GPS system. This is especially helpful if you run into traffic and want to find the best way around it. it can also help you to locate area restaurants, gas stations and hotels. You can also get a GPS app for most smartphones.
Consider joining an Auto Club. They can provide roadside assistance as well as help with planning your route.
It's smart to bring spare keys that are kept separate from the ones you are using. Important documents to bring includes your driver's license, insurance cards (auto and medical), emergency phone numbers, travel itinerary (including your hotel confirmation numbers), maps, and trip directions.
If you purchased tires at a chain store, bring the paperwork. We bought ours from Sam's Club and we had a tire go flat while spending the night at a hotel. It saved us from having to purchase a new tire at full price. The same holds true for any repairs that come with guarantees. Bring the proof with you.
Summer driving in Florida offers some unique challenges. Many breakdowns are caused by the intense heat. The sudden rainstorms create road hazards that can cause an accident.
Keeping one eye on the weather as you drive is very important to safe travel. Thunderstorms come up suddenly and while often brief, can be intense. I'll never forget the time we drove to Orlando and saw a bolt of lightning set the ground around a tree on fire. If you lose visibility, slow down, head for the nearest exit ramp and find a place to park and wait out the storm.
If you are considering bringing a pet with you, think twice. Leaving your pet at home with a pet sitter or boarding it in a kennel is the kindest thing you can do. Florida heat can be deadly, and a pet left in a car for only a few minutes could suffer. If you can't leave the pooch behind, bring its inoculation records and a current photo.
Are we there yet?? The words that every parent dreads. With a little planning you can help make the drive as enjoyable as possible. The secret is to get the kids involved in planning what to do during the trip, plus you can plan a few extra surprises to spring on them.
Whoever invented the portable DVD player must have driven with a little one. These units are godsends and well worth purchasing. Naturally, you'll want to bring your collection of Disney DVDs.
There's no end to handheld electronic games you can bring. Just be sure to have adaptors and/or spare batteries. You can get a car cigarette lighter adaptor that can accommodate two plug-ins.
If you want to involve the family in a game, there's always the fun of looking for out of state license plates or the "Disney Guessing Game." You think of something associated with Disney World and the others each take a turn asking one question until they correctly guess what it is.
A few other ideas:
1. You should pack a goody bag for each child. Include small surprises, easy to eat snacks, stickers, etc.
2. Bring lots of water
3. Lock the doors of the car at all times when traveling
4. Bring pillows for the kids and their favorite stuffed toy
5. Keep an umbrella in the car
6. Carry a notebook and jot down where a favorite roadside restaurant was located or where you found a restroom when those immortal words were uttered "I'VE GOTTA GO NOW!!"
7. Keep a trash bag in the car
8. Get a container of wet wipes and keep it handy
9. Take breaks. Sure, you want to get to Mickey, but everyone needs a chance to stop and stretch their legs
10. Reserve hotel rooms in advance for stops along the route
Planning ahead is the most important element of a fun and stress free auto trip.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
- Man arrested at Typhoon Lagoon for molesting 4 teenage girls
- Standby line to be cut off in Anna and Elsa meet and greet
- Disney's second quarter injury report: 12-year-old boy cuts fingers on Pirates ride
- 30 years in prison for man who molested girl at SeaWorld
- Possible agreement reached between Disney and unions
- Disney's CEO Bob Iger honored as CEO of the Year by Chief Executive magazine
- Trattoria al Forno to replace Cat Cora's Kouzzina at Disney World
- Technical glitch causes Universal's Transformers ride to stall
- Report: Monorail evacuated after lightning strike
- Military resource support group launches for Disney cast members