Walt Disney World Gas Stations
The three stations generally are averaging 5-10 cents per gallon below prices outside the tourist areas. The Hess Stations are located: On World Drive near the exit to the Magic Kingdom Parking Lot, on Buena Vista Drive near Boardwalk, and on Buena Vista Drive across from Pleasure Island.
PRICE GOUGE WARNING!!
Keep an eye out for any gas station in Orlando that does not advertise their prices,
including the Lake Buena Vista area and around the Orlando International Airport.
We've seen reports of them charging a 100% markup!!
You are better off using the HESS stations on Disney Property
HESS - Magic Kingdom - World Drive
This is a car care center where repairs can be made. You can also pick up a car rental from either Alamo or National here. Shuttle service is provided from the Disney resorts.
Hours: Open 24 hours with 24 pumps including diesel
Self-service gas islands and a 4,000 sq. ft. Convenience store. Made to order pizza, subs and other food items are available. This site features a travelogue reminiscent of roadside stations of the 1950's - '60's. There's a map that highlights favorite U.S. driving destinations.
Hours: Open 24 hours
Self-serve gas, convenience store, gift shop.
HESS - Disney's Hollywood Studios/Boardwalk
Hours: Open 24 hours
Self-serve gas, car wash, convenience store, gift shop.
A lot of people find it cheaper to drive to their Disney vacations each year, whether they're headed to Walt Disney World or to Disneyland. Even though it may be cheaper than flying, gas prices are still high and they can definitely influence the decision on when to travel, or even if traveling is feasible this year. Here are some tips so that your family vacation budget isn't eaten up by the high gas prices.
Ways to Get Better Gas Mileage:
- Aggressive driving can hurt your car's mileage. To optimize mileage, follow posted speed limits and avoid "start and stop" traffic when possible.
- Utilize your cruise control when on the highway. Every car reaches its optimal fuel efficiency at a different speed, but it's generally around 60 miles per hour. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, for every 5 miles an hour you drive over 60 mph, it's like you are spending an extra twenty cents per gallon of gas. That may not seem like a lot, but when you factor in how far you are driving, it can really add up!
- Mechanical problems can lower gas mileage. Make sure tires are inflated to proper pressure (check your owner's manual to make sure you know the right level for your vehicle). Regular oil changes, tune ups and maintenance will keep your car running for its best performance and gas mileage.
- Fact or fiction? "Nitrogen filled tires will improve gas mileage." There's no real scientific proof or studies to prove this, so you'll have to decide for yourself. Compressed air (what you're normally filling your tires with) contains about 21% oxygen and 78% nitrogen (the rest is a mix of other gasses and water vapor). In theory, because of its larger molecules nitrogen will exit your tires slower than air so your tire pressure will remain consistent longer. In addition, the water vapor in compressed air can corrode tires from the inside out faster than pure nitrogen but would be negligible compared to outer wear from road friction. The claim that nitrogen is lighter than compressed air and will make your car lighter and get better gas mileage is not true (the weight difference is inconsequential). Basically, if you can find this service for free, go for it but do not pay for it.
- Pack light - the more weight you have in your car, the more gas you need to move it. Clean out the trunk of anything that is unneeded or unnecessary for the trip. Make sure to keep your emergency supplies in there though - don't take out that spare tire or jack!
- Use the air conditioning effectively - A/C takes about 8 horsepower to run and that eats gas. On short trips, it's better on your gas to leave the A/C off (if you can stand it!). On a long trip on the open highway, it's better to use the A/C than to drive with the windows open, because the extra drag of open windows on a vehicle will eat up more fuel than running the A/C will.
- Carpool! More people per car means fewer cars on the road.
- Buy the correct fuel for your car. Read your owner's manual to find out the appropriate octane or fuel type. Many people buy a higher octane than the car requires and that costs more.
Saving Money on Gas:
- This sounds obvious, but buy gas at the lowest prices available. It's often cheapest from "big box" stores (like Costco, BJs, Sam's Club), but you have to purchase a club membership. Are you saving enough to make that membership worth it?
- Don't drive 5 miles out of your way just to save 2 cents a gallon. It's not that big of a savings!
- There are several apps for your mobile devices that can help you find the gas stations with the cheapest gas.
We have a few listed here, but there are several other free apps available, just pick the best for you.
- Gasbuddy (free): This uses GPS to show gas prices near your current location. It works great and is very accurate.
- Cheap Gas (free): Sort by price and distance to find the cheapest gas. This does bring up a map, which is helpful, but we found the prices to be a little off.
- AAA Trip Tik Mobile (free): This is a really cool app! Its graphic interface shows the locations of food, fuel, attractions, hotels, etc. on your route. Click on the icons for details, including current gas prices. You can even get point to point directions.
- Some web sites to check out before you leave home:
- AAA's Daily Fuel Gauge Report: This web site tracks the daily national average price of unleaded gasoline so you can plan your budget accordingly.
- GasBuddy.com: Search for the cheapest unleaded gas prices in your area.
- One of the best tips to save money on gas while AT Disney? Use the free resort transportation! Why pay for gas when Disney is willing to do the driving for you?!
- Shortened monorail operating hours now in place - The monorail will have a different operating schedule than normal as an automation upgrade takes place.
- Blog - The Good and Bad of “Toy Story of TERROR!” on Blu-ray
- American Idol Experience is now closed at Disney's Hollywood Studios - This attraction closed August 30, 2014. No definitive plans have been announced for this space.
- VIDEO: Oogie Boogie's Freaky Funhouse Show at Villains Unleashed - Oogie Boogie's Freaky Funhouse Show at Villains Unleashed brings Vegas to Walt Disney World. Villains Unleashed took over Disney's Hollywood Studios on August 23, 2014 and part of the hard ticket event was Oogie Boogie's Freak Funhouse Show. Oogie Boogie hosts the show that features a sword-swallowing act, daredevil archery and a finale full of fire!
- Refurb closures planned for Walt Disney World water parks - Typhoon Lagoon will be closed 10/26/14-1/3/15 and Blizzard Beach will be closed 1/4/15-3/14/15.
- Top 5 Signature Dining Experiences at the Walt Disney World Resorts - 1,600 listeners and viewers of our DIS Unplugged web-cast voted on their favorite signature restaurants at the Walt Disney World resort hotels.
- Blog - The Top 5 Underutilized Spaces at Walt Disney World
- Starbucks will open at Hollywood Studios in February 2015 - The Trolley Car Cafe will be located along Hollywood Boulevard and be themed like a trolley car station. Disney baked goods and Starbucks La Boulange pastry items will be available. An exact location hasn't been announced.
- VIDEO - Frozen Fireworks Multi-Angle Full Show - “Frozen” Fireworks Spectacular – Everything wraps up at 9:45 p.m. when Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, and Olaf come together at the Sorcerer’s Hat Icon Stage for a grand finale to the day’s festivities, kicking off an awe-inspiring fireworks display set to the glorious music of “Frozen!”
- VIDEO: Star-Lord & Gamora from 'Guardians of the Galaxy' at Villains Unleashed - Peter Quill, aka Star-Lord, and Gamora made their first appearance ever at the Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix Tape Vol. 1 Dance Party during the Villains Unleashed event at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
- Mikala Canoe Club Marina at Polynesian to be closed for refurb - The marina will be closed 9/15 - 9/19/2014. Sail boat/motorized boats and fishing excursions will not be available.
- Entrance 4 to Downtown Disney's parking lot now closed - Entrance 4 (between Cirque du Soleil and DisneyQuest) is now closed permanently. The only entrances are Entrance 2 (across from the Hess Station) and Entrance 5 (across from Typhoon Lagoon).
- VIDEO: Villains Unleashed Opening Ceremony - Villains Unleashed kicked off at Disney's Hollywood Studios with an opening ceremony hosted by Hades, Pain, Panic and Megara from Hercules. Once the stars of the night took the stage they introduced some of the 50 Disney Villains guests could meet at the special hard ticket event.
- VIDEO: Villains Unleashed Event Overview - Over 50 Disney villains took over Disney's Hollywood Studios for the Villains Unleashed Event.
- Times updated for events at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - The Party is a specially ticketed event at the Magic Kingdom that begins September 1.
- Villains' Sinister Soiree add-on available for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - This special add-on will give guests preferred viewing for Mickey's Boo to You Halloween Parade (8:15pm) and the Happy HalloWishes fireworks show. Lady Tremaine will host a dessert soiree at Cinderella's Royal Table Restaurant for you and some of her friends.
- 5 Elements from the Disney Parks that You'll Find on a Disney Cruise Ship - You have been to the Disney Parks, and you love them. You keep going back for that pixie-dust rush. You can’t imagine a vacation apart from Disney Parks, yet somehow the “old and familiar” is getting a bit old and familiar. This is where the Disney Cruise Line enters. It’s a Disney vacation of a different variety. The dissimilarities are a bit obvious. You’re on a ship in the ocean, visiting foreign places. This is nothing like being landlocked in a park, surrounded by coasters and kiosks. So what can you expect from the Disney Parks to carry over to your cruise?
- Blog - "Villains Unleashed" needs leashing up - Disney's overcrowded hard ticket event leaves guests in long lines most of the night
- Mickey's PhilharMagic refurb extended - The end date has been moved from September 19 to the 28th. The attraction will go down September 8.
- Enchanted Tiki Room going down for refurb in late September - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed from 9/27 - 10/3/2014.
- Two Epcot New Year's Eve dining events released - More New Year's Eve events are yet to be released.
- Blog - Beyond Aulani
- Updated operating schedule for monorails - The monorail will have a different operating schedule than normal as an automation upgrade takes place.
- Charging stations for electric vehicles added to Epcot parking lot - Disney has added four Level 2 ChargePoint charging stations to the Journey parking lot at Epcot. Electric vehicles will be charged $.35 per kw/h, with a minimum charge of $1.50.
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party tickets sold out on 10/31/14 - Tickets are still available for all other dates.
- New Move it! Shake it! Dance and Play it! Street Party to debut at Magic Kingdom this fall - Stitch and Phineas & Ferb will join the party and Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Goofy will ride on top of giant gift boxes. The soundtrack will feature remixed classic party songs and guests will vote for one of three current hits to be played.
- VIDEO: What's New at Aulani - Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa has many new offerings. Quick service at Ulu Cafe, kids splash zone at Keiki Cove, two new pools, and much more.
- MagicBands can now be purchased without ticket media - The bands are now available for purchase across property.
- Changes to boat schedules at Downtown Disney - Schedules have been changing recently due to construction.
- Blog - The Good and Bad of the "Muppets Most Wanted" Blu-ray
- Ultimate Day VIP Tour available at Epcot Food & Wine Festival - This daylong tour begins at the Festival Center's VIP Lounge and includes champagne, a beverage tasting, six-course tapas-style lunch, wine, private backstage tours, time on Epcot attractions, food and beverage pairings with Disney chefs, VIP seating at the Eat to the Beat Concert Series, and reserved seating for IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth fireworks spectacular.
- Blog - New Golden Oak Outpost Menu is Waffle Fry Heaven
- Sunrise Safari at Animal Kingdom ending 12/28/14 - This tour is exclusive to Animal Kingdom Lodge Kilimanjaro Club Level guests.
- American Idol Experience to close August 30 - No plans have been announced for the space.
- Florida residents save $40 on Cirque du Soleil tickets - Through September and October, Florida residents will save $40 on adult Cirque du Soleil tickets purchased at the box office.
- VIDEO: The Refurbished Capt. Cook's at Polynesian Resort - After a long refurbishment, Capt. Cook's has reopened at the Polynesian Village Resort. Major changes include artwork in the seating area, a new menu, no more ordering off of touch screens and the tragic loss of the Dole Whip self-serve machine.
- American Film Institute at the end of Backlot Tour to close - As of August 17, the American Film Institute Showcase exhibit at the end of the ride will be closed. This exhibit features props and costumes from various films. The gift shop will also close.
- D23 Expo 2015 tickets are now on sale - Tickets for next year's D23 Expo are now on sale. The D23 Expo will be held August 14-16, 2015 at the Anaheim Convention Center.
- Blog - Polynesian Resort's Capt. Cook's quick service restaurant reopens after refurbishment
- Golden Oak Outpost now serving specialty waffle fries - This walk-up stand is located on the backside of Frontierland on the walkway to Adventureland.
- Tower of Terror On-ride videos available with Memory Maker - After riding The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, a video of the guest's ride will be added to their My Disney Experience account. This video is only available to guests who have purchased Memory Maker.
- Win a 2 Night / 3 Day stay at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin! - Answer 3 questions about the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin on our contest page for a chance to WIN!
- Great Irish Hooley Festival to be held at Downtown Disney - "Hooley" is Irish slang for party or celebration. Celebrate with food, drink and dancing.
- Update coming to My Disney Experience - make dining reservations 20 minutes in advance - A new update will allow guests to make same day dining reservations only 20 minutes in advance.
- Performance times updated for Night of Joy - Disney’s Night of Joy is a hard-ticket event at the Magic Kingdom that features contemporary Christian performers.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Polynesian Resort Lobby - Lobby Waterfall - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at the Polynesian Resort.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Continues to Materialize
- Refurb scheduled this winter for the Haunted Mansion - The attraction will be closed from 12/1 - 12/19/14.
- It's Tough to be a Bug refurb extended until 9/27 - This attraction was originally scheduled to reopen August 11, but will instead stay closed through September 27.
- Yankee Trader shop refurb extended through December - The shop is becoming a Haunted Mansion gift shop.
- Polynesian Resort opens new Dole Whip location
- Popular EPCOT acts to depart this Fall
- Wet 'n Wild employee trapped in pool; now in critical condition
- Star Wars mobile game app released by Disney
- Disney contract approved by part-time employees
- Citation banning whale trainers from water will not be appealed by SeaWorld
- Disney cancels 2014 Festival of the Masters art show
- Radio Disney to shut down stations and lay off employees
- Disney proposes new contract for part-time employees
- SeaWorld announces new habitats for killer whales