Walt Disney World Gas Stations
The three stations generally are averaging 5-10 cents per gallon below prices outside the tourist areas. The Hess Stations are located: On World Drive near the exit to the Magic Kingdom Parking Lot, on Buena Vista Drive near Boardwalk, and on Buena Vista Drive across from Pleasure Island.
PRICE GOUGE WARNING!!
Keep an eye out for any gas station in Orlando that does not advertise their prices,
including the Lake Buena Vista area and around the Orlando International Airport.
We've seen reports of them charging a 100% markup!!
You are better off using the HESS stations on Disney Property
HESS - Magic Kingdom - World Drive
This is a car care center where repairs can be made. You can also pick up a car rental from either Alamo or National here. Shuttle service is provided from the Disney resorts.
Hours: Open 24 hours with 24 pumps including diesel
Self-service gas islands and a 4,000 sq. ft. Convenience store. Made to order pizza, subs and other food items are available. This site features a travelogue reminiscent of roadside stations of the 1950's - '60's. There's a map that highlights favorite U.S. driving destinations.
Hours: Open 24 hours
Self-serve gas, convenience store, gift shop.
HESS - Disney's Hollywood Studios/Boardwalk
Hours: Open 24 hours
Self-serve gas, car wash, convenience store, gift shop.
A lot of people find it cheaper to drive to their Disney vacations each year, whether they're headed to Walt Disney World or to Disneyland. Even though it may be cheaper than flying, gas prices are still high and they can definitely influence the decision on when to travel, or even if traveling is feasible this year. Here are some tips so that your family vacation budget isn't eaten up by the high gas prices.
Ways to Get Better Gas Mileage:
- Aggressive driving can hurt your car's mileage. To optimize mileage, follow posted speed limits and avoid "start and stop" traffic when possible.
- Utilize your cruise control when on the highway. Every car reaches its optimal fuel efficiency at a different speed, but it's generally around 60 miles per hour. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, for every 5 miles an hour you drive over 60 mph, it's like you are spending an extra twenty cents per gallon of gas. That may not seem like a lot, but when you factor in how far you are driving, it can really add up!
- Mechanical problems can lower gas mileage. Make sure tires are inflated to proper pressure (check your owner's manual to make sure you know the right level for your vehicle). Regular oil changes, tune ups and maintenance will keep your car running for its best performance and gas mileage.
- Fact or fiction? "Nitrogen filled tires will improve gas mileage." There's no real scientific proof or studies to prove this, so you'll have to decide for yourself. Compressed air (what you're normally filling your tires with) contains about 21% oxygen and 78% nitrogen (the rest is a mix of other gasses and water vapor). In theory, because of its larger molecules nitrogen will exit your tires slower than air so your tire pressure will remain consistent longer. In addition, the water vapor in compressed air can corrode tires from the inside out faster than pure nitrogen but would be negligible compared to outer wear from road friction. The claim that nitrogen is lighter than compressed air and will make your car lighter and get better gas mileage is not true (the weight difference is inconsequential). Basically, if you can find this service for free, go for it but do not pay for it.
- Pack light - the more weight you have in your car, the more gas you need to move it. Clean out the trunk of anything that is unneeded or unnecessary for the trip. Make sure to keep your emergency supplies in there though - don't take out that spare tire or jack!
- Use the air conditioning effectively - A/C takes about 8 horsepower to run and that eats gas. On short trips, it's better on your gas to leave the A/C off (if you can stand it!). On a long trip on the open highway, it's better to use the A/C than to drive with the windows open, because the extra drag of open windows on a vehicle will eat up more fuel than running the A/C will.
- Carpool! More people per car means fewer cars on the road.
- Buy the correct fuel for your car. Read your owner's manual to find out the appropriate octane or fuel type. Many people buy a higher octane than the car requires and that costs more.
Saving Money on Gas:
- This sounds obvious, but buy gas at the lowest prices available. It's often cheapest from "big box" stores (like Costco, BJs, Sam's Club), but you have to purchase a club membership. Are you saving enough to make that membership worth it?
- Don't drive 5 miles out of your way just to save 2 cents a gallon. It's not that big of a savings!
- There are several apps for your mobile devices that can help you find the gas stations with the cheapest gas.
We have a few listed here, but there are several other free apps available, just pick the best for you.
- Gasbuddy (free): This uses GPS to show gas prices near your current location. It works great and is very accurate.
- Cheap Gas (free): Sort by price and distance to find the cheapest gas. This does bring up a map, which is helpful, but we found the prices to be a little off.
- AAA Trip Tik Mobile (free): This is a really cool app! Its graphic interface shows the locations of food, fuel, attractions, hotels, etc. on your route. Click on the icons for details, including current gas prices. You can even get point to point directions.
- Some web sites to check out before you leave home:
- AAA's Daily Fuel Gauge Report: This web site tracks the daily national average price of unleaded gasoline so you can plan your budget accordingly.
- GasBuddy.com: Search for the cheapest unleaded gas prices in your area.
- One of the best tips to save money on gas while AT Disney? Use the free resort transportation! Why pay for gas when Disney is willing to do the driving for you?!
- New menu items added at Raglan Road - These have been released just in time for St. Patrick's Day.
- Dates announced for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party - Tickets will go on sale in April.
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party dates announced; tickets on sale in April - Dates are available in September-November.
- Magic Kingdom resorts test direct bus to Typhoon Lagoon - As part of a test through March 28, Wilderness Lodge and the Contemporary will share a direct bus to Typhoon Lagoon. The Polynesian and the Grand Floridian will do the same.
- Disney World's Pirates of the Caribbean to be closed for the summer - The ride will be closed from 5/11 - 9/25/2015.
- Why taking kids would never ruin a Disney Vacation - In response to the article Why I Wouldn’t Ruin My Disney Vacation By Taking Kids.
- Raglan Road's Mighty Festival: St Patrick's Week to be held March 13-17 - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, classic Irish food and drinks, face painting and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- WonderGround Gallery expands at Marketplace Co-Op - In early March, the WonderGround Gallery will expand into the area occupied by Beautifully Disney makeup.
- New menu items available at Downtown Disney's Fantasy Fare food truck - The food trucks are all located in Exposition Park, between Bongo's Cuban Cafe and Starbucks.
- ESPN's Mike and Mike show celebrates 15th anniversary with live broadcast - The live show will take place March 6, 2015 at the Waterside Stage, Downtown Disney Marketplace from 6:00-10:00am.
- Easy ways to stay healthy at Disney
- The Other Hawaii (Part 1): How to See the Best of the Islands from a Cruise Ship
- Blog - Have you ever wondered? A peek into the Disney details
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increased - As expected, a Magic Kingdom ticket is now $105 per day.
- Seven Resorts In Seven Days Part 7: Disney's Old Key West Resort
- Seven Resorts In Seven Days Part 6: Disney's Boardwalk Inn Resort
- List of several new drinks planned for Epcot Flower & Garden Festival - This year's Festival will be held March 4-May 17, 2015.
- Seven Resorts In Seven Days Part 5: Disney's Yacht Club Resort
- Save up to 30% on a stay at Aulani - booking date extended! - Savings Include: 3-night stays: 10% off, 4-night stays: 20% off, or 5-or more night stays: 30% off
- Blog - Federal Court Dismisses Lawsuit Alleging "Frozen" is "My Life Story"
- Rumor: Walt Disney World ticket prices will increase February 22 - The no-expiration option may be discontinued and a Water Park-Hopper add-on may be introduced. Rumors are also that one-day Magic Kingdom tickets will increase to $105 and one-day tickets to the other theme parks will be priced at $99.
- Spirit of Aloha dinner show cancelled on 2/19/15 - Both the 5:15 and 8:15pm shows have been cancelled.
- Seven Resorts In Seven Days Part 4: Disney's Beach Club Resort
- List of sample menu items from this year's upcoming Flower and Garden Festival - This year's Festival will be held March 4-May 17, 2015.
- 2015 Star Wars Weekends info and artwork released - More info still to come.
- Typhoon Lagoon will be closed 2/18 and 2/19 - This is due to low temperatures in the area.
- Seven Disney Resorts In Seven Days Part 3: Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa
- Seven Disney Resorts In Seven Days Part 2: Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
- Pose with an Oscar statuette at Disney's Hollywood Studios - During regular park hours in the Magic of Disney Animation building, guests can walk the red carpet and pose in front of the Oscars backdrop.
- Big Thunder Mountain refurb moves to April - This was originally scheduled to take place March 4-7, but is now scheduled for April 27-30.
- Seven Disney Resorts In Seven Days Part 1: Disney's Wilderness Lodge Resort
- Blog - Charlotte Olympia Launches Disney's Cinderella Collection
- Blog - Why I Wouldn't Ruin My Disney Vacation By Taking Kids
- Blog - Downtown Disney Construction Update
- Typhoon Lagoon closed through 2/15/15 - This is due to projected low temperatures in the Orlando area.
- 8:15pm Spirit of Aloha dinner show cancelled on 2/13 and 2/14 - The show is being cancelled due to the expected low temperatures.
- Blog - Upcoming Dooney & Bourke Releases at Walt Disney World
- New operating hours for Typhoon Lagoon's Shark Reef - This area opens 2 hours after park opening and closes one hour before park closing or 5:00pm, whichever is first.
- Reservations to be accepted at Be Our Guest beginning Feb. 25 - Reservations will be available for lunch beginning February 25, both by phone and on MyDisneyExperience. If using MyDisneyExperience, you will have the option to pre-order your food and drinks.
- Typhoon Lagoon closed 2/5-2/6 for cold temps - Blizzard Beach is currently closed for its annual scheduled maintenance.
- Blog - Disney's Hollywood Studios Construction Update Part II
- What to Do When You Can't Get into Beaches and Cream
- The Business of Magic: 2015 Food Prices
- Trolley Car Cafe, Hollywood Studios' new Starbucks, to open February 3 - The Cafe is located on Hollywood Blvd in a space previously used as a retail store.
- July 2015 Walt Disney World Park Hours
- Blog - Discovering "The Bare Necessities" of Disney Life Between Disney Vacations
- February Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings - Disney artists regularly make appearances around the Walt Disney World Resort.
- Whispering Canyon Cafe breakfast moves to Artist Point for 2 days - The Whispering Canyon Cafe's breakfast will be served in Artist Point on 2/5/15 and 2/12/15 due to work in the hotel's lobby. The full breakfast menu, except for pancakes, will be available.
- Modified routes for the monorail in February and early March - Modified routes will take place February 3-5, 9-12, 23-26 and March 2-5 from 11am-7pm.
- 2015 Night of Joy entertainers announced - Night of Joy will be held at the Magic Kingdom on September 11 - 12, 2015.
- Blog - Do You Own the Space Above You in a Theme Park?
- Rumor: Walt Disney World ticket prices to increase in February - Rumors are that ticket prices will go up in mid-February. The no-expiration option may be discontinued and a Water Park-Hopper add-on may be introduced.
- Blog - INTERVIEW – Billy Magnussen: The 'Other Prince' in Into The Wood
- Running the Parks Part 3 - Disney Running Resources - In this post I discuss some of the resources I have found to be most useful when doing research for a Disney running vacation.
- Take a baby to a Disney theme park? Are you nuts?
- List of restaurants and retailers coming to The Landing at Disney Springs - The first phase of Disney Springs will open in Spring 2015.
- Annual Passholder mini golf discount drops to 15% - Previously the discount had been 50% off of miniature golf.
- Blog - Disney's Hollywood Studios Construction Update
- Splitsville to feature live bands on Saturday nights - Every Saturday, 9:00pm-12:30am, a live band will take the stage in the Bullet Bar for a free concert.
- Kali River Rapids begins 2-week rehab - The Animal Kingdom attraction will be closed through February 2.
- Blog - Disney & Starbucks Bring New Mug Collection to Stores
- Polynesian DVC Resort can soon be booked by general public - Beginning February 11, these can be booked by the general public when they are not in use by DVC members. The bungalows will have limited availability.
- Downtown Disney internal boats will not stop at Pleasure Island - They will only run between the Marketplace and West Side.
- Blog - Disney asks Court to Dismiss "Absurd" Frozen Copyright Lawsuit
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Backlot Express - Star Tours - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Backlot Express - Star Tours
- Dates announced for 2015 Epcot Food and Wine Festival - The Festival will be held September 25-November 16, 2015.
- Epcot Flower Power Concerts renamed "Garden Rocks Concert Series" - The Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival will be held March 4-May 17.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Stormalong Bay - Crescent Lake - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Stormalong Bay - Crescent Lake January 5, 2014 - Afternoon
- Happy 40th birthday to Space Mountain! - Along with Carousel of Progress, this Magic Kingdom attraction opened on January 15, 1975.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Hollywood Boulevard - Sorcerer Mickey Hat - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Hollywood Boulevard - Sorcerer Mickey Hat
- Blog - 1/14/15: Magic Kingdom Hub Construction Update
- SeaWorld lays off Clyde & Seamore mimes, among others
- Man sentenced to 5 years for Disney ticket scam
- Club 33 members upset about more changes to benefits
- Iger says future Star Wars attractions to be based on new films
- SeaWorld's CEO steps down
- Man sues SeaWorld for automatically renewing his annual pass
- Retirement date set for Disney's Meg Crofton
- Woman sues Disney, claiming disability after falling from carousel horse
- Hotel leadership changes at Walt Disney World
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer released