Animal Kingdom - Maharajah Jungle Trek
|Animal Kingdom Attractions||Rafiki's Planet Watch|
Maharajah Jungle Trek Overview
The Indian custom of turning palaces and temples back over
to nature for the good of Earth’s creatures is symbolized
in the Maharajah Jungle Trek. In this walking tour, the hunting lodge and palace
ruins serve as homes to the majestic tigers that have become
the royal family of this habitat now. The rainforest-like surroundings are reminiscent
of those found in Nepal, India, Thailand and Indonesia,
and are home to other fascinating creatures.
As your journey through the Royal Forest begins, be sure to stop at one of the stands near the entrance and pick up a brochure that describes the wildlife found here and some viewing tips as well. Amidst the rocky pit area with a rushing waterfall, you can spot the world’s largest lizard, the Komodo Dragon.
Three separate areas are provided for your viewing pleasure. Further along the path, the large black and white creature you’ll see that is a relative to both the horse and rhinoceros, is the Malayan Tapir. The brightly painted hut that resembles an Indonesian community hall serves as the viewing and educational resource hut of the Bat Cliffs. Here, you’ll find 32 bats of the Rodrigues Fruit and Malayan Flying Fox species. Guests may be surprised to find that some of the viewing areas are without glass panes or wire coverings. There is nothing to fear however, as some of these bats have a 6-foot wingspan and would not be able to enter the 14-inch window frame. Magnificent Asian Tigers can be seen from three separate viewing areas.
TIP: The Tigers are most active early in the mornings
TIP: Don’t just stop at the first viewing platform.If it is crowded, move onto the second or third areas, the view may be better.
Visitors will marvel at the quiet strength of these stealthy creatures.Their playful nature can be seen as they play with the large ball in the water.
In the grazing area behind the tigers, you’ll find
Blackbuck and Elds Deer. The inner walls of the viewing areas serve
as murals that pay homage to the animals within. As you saunter further down the path, you’ll
pass through a domed Mughal-style mausoleum known
as the “Red Pavilion”. Amidst the great hall ruins on the other
side, you’ll find exotic birds of Asian descent,
some of who are tree dwellers, while others may
be ground or mud dwellers. Relax on the marble benches and see Palawan
peacock pheasants, white-rumped shamas, fruit doves,
Indian rollers, masked plovers and large King Parrots,
a few of the 50 species found here.
The wildlife may be the main attraction here, but be sure to take the time to appreciate the wondrous surroundings. As you stroll the paths through the crumbling ruins, enjoy the magnificent murals that grace the walls. These murals, some trimmed in gold, depict the legends of past royal hunts. While these are made to look old, look closely at the hunter with the turban. His earring is actually a Hidden Mickey! There are several Hidden Mickey's in the murals along the trail. Pass through the formal herb garden, where the warm scents of jasmine and honeysuckle assail your senses. See the bright flashes of cloth as the hanging pennants flap in the breeze. These represent the religious cultures of northern Asia and each is symbolic of prayers to the gods. There is also a tree hung with bells that represent the prayers that have been answered. The half-mile long path is lined with costumed Cast Members at the wildlife viewing areas to answer any questions you may have.
Handicapped Accessibility:The Maharajah Jungle Trek pathways are wheelchair accessible.
Click Here for a No-Obligation Disney Vacation Quote
from Dreams Unlimited Travel
- Happy 15th Birthday to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith! - The attraction originally opened its doors at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 29, 1999.
- Victoria & Albert's will no longer accept Tables in Wonderland - This begins August 1, 2014.
- Summertime Pals Ink & Paint Cel release - This limited release will be available at the event, or pre-order by September 25 at 5:00pm EST.
- Haunted Mansion merchandise shop coming to Magic Kingdom - The former Yankee Trader shop will become a Haunted Mansion merchandise location in the near future. The decor will be inspired by Madame Leota and will carry items from the Haunted Mansion Authentic program, such as apparel, home goods, souvenirs and more.
- Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings for August - List of authors and artists coming to the theme parks for signings and merchandise releases.
- List of characters updated for Villains Unleashed! event - Over 50 Disney villains will be taking over the park until the 13th hour!
- Beginning today, PhotoPass print packages are no longer offered table-side at character meals - This includes Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Tusker House Restaurant.
- Disney Visa cardholders can book Food & Wine Festival events early - Disney Visa cardholders can book special events two days earlier than the general public - on July 29 and July 30 from 7:00am-11:00pm EST.
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
- High-speed train will link Shanghai Disneyland to city
- "Clyde and Seamore Take Pirate Island" show cancelled at SeaWorld
- PBS plans Walt Disney biopic
- Release date set for 5th Pirates of the Caribbean film
- Man arrested at Typhoon Lagoon for molesting 4 teenage girls
- Standby line to be cut off in Anna and Elsa meet and greet
- Disney's second quarter injury report: 12-year-old boy cuts fingers on Pirates ride
- 30 years in prison for man who molested girl at SeaWorld
- Possible agreement reached between Disney and unions
- Disney's CEO Bob Iger honored as CEO of the Year by Chief Executive magazine
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 11:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 10:00
9:00 - 7:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 8:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Epcot FW