Creating Disney Magic at Home
If there's one word tightly intertwined with Disney, it's "magic." You feel it the minute you cross over from the outside world onto park property. It's there when you see the castle rising up in front of you, and when you push the key into the lock at your resort. It's intangible, undeniable…and you feel it calling you "home" when you've been away too long.
But what happens when you (sniff!) leave the parks behind or when you don't have another trip planned for a while? When you return to your everyday life and realize the most magical thing in it is hitting all green lights on the way to work? Some days, it can feel like you're living in a grainy black-and-white flick, knowing there's a Technicolor feature film somewhere out there.
Good news: Walt and his battalion of Imagineers aren't the only ones who can create a little magic in your life (but you knew that, right?). You can add a burst of that Disney pixie dust right at home. Here's how to bring the Disney-esque sparkle into your everyday life.
Many families have game night. Couples have romantic "home date" nights. And folks living solo have special pampering-at-home evenings. Add the Disney touch to your home events by creating magical "Disney nights."
Over on the DIS discussion boards, members have dreamed up some fantastic "Disney theme nights" to keep the magic alive at home with their families. From lavish, all out events complete with games, prizes, and themes galore to low-key dinner-and-a-movie, it's all good. In a nutshell, you choose a Disney theme—usually based around a movie—and expand from there. Here's how:
Choose a theme. Are your kids Toy Story crazy, or your sweetie can't get enough Tron? Plan your theme around those elements. That's the good thing about Disney—you'll probably never run out of themes. You could do a specific movie (Tangled, Pirates of the Caribbean), a general theme (classic movies, Adventureland, World Showcase countries), or character-based (Kim Possible, Donald Duck).
Plan the chow. Admittedly, this can be easy (Finding Nemo: fish sticks, goldfish crackers, and hot dog "octopi") or a bit tougher (Pollyanna: uh…smiling potato fries?). Make it easy on yourself by starting with the obvious: Were there certain foods that played a major role in your theme? Snow White's apple could be transformed to apple pie or candy-coated apples, for instance.
Expand on ideas with plays on words ("motor oil" pudding for Cars) or creative foods (Honey, I Shrunk the Kids: miniature hamburgers, drinks served in shot glasses, tiny corn). Try Oriental food for Mulan, or a tea party for Alice in Wonderland.
Deck the halls. Immerse yourself in an undersea world by hanging strips of blue crepe paper from the ceiling to enjoy an underwater theme, create a tropical paradise with inflatable dollar store palm trees, or travel to Mexico by dangling a piñata and hanging that old sombrero from college on the wall. Serve food in clever containers (why stick to boring bowls?) and anchor your table with a dozen balloons to kick off your Up night. You can find Disney-themed table cloths easily, or head to the party store for themed cups and plates.
Get hands-on. Take your themed night a step further with some themed activities. Over on the DIS, the Queen of Disney Theme Nights, PrincessTigerLily, can get your creative juices flowing with activity ideas. For a Brother Bear night, she suggests carving totem poles from soap (to accompany the meal of Salmon Run Dinner and Canadian Maple Rice Pudding); and for Morocco night, learning to belly dance!
Whether you're on the dining plan or not, Disney is no doubt an edible experience. It's not just about hamburgers and hot dogs (although you can certainly find those, too). You can sample foods from far away places, stuff yourself with pastries and fancy desserts, or try whimsical edible creations. And guess what? That's right. You can certainly "Disney up" your cuisine at home, too.
Mickey everywhere. Mickey waffles, Mickey-shaped sprinkles on your ice cream, the ubiquitous Mickey ice cream bar…it's all about the mouse in every edible variation. You can find Mickey-shaped waffle makers, cake pans, chocolate molds, pancake makers…you name it. Not into gadgets? The iconic three circle Mickey ear logo can easily be replicated in pancakes, cookies, sliced cheese, and stuffed pizzas.
Food from the parks. So, you're not a top chef, and you're not sure about whipping up sweet potato hash with poached eggs topped with arugula. That's okay—the good folks over on the DISboards have you covered. Scroll around and find that creamy lobster soup from Coral Reef, or Banana Bread Pudding from Boma. Mmm-mmmm.
"Eat your Splash Mountain, dear." And if you're just itchin' to go a step further? (You know Walt would!) Why not create Disney images and attractions from food? Crazy, sure, but also a lot of fun. Whip up the Jungle Cruise for dessert, carve a Doombuggy from an apple (and put Mickey crackers inside as riders), or go California Screamin' with pretzels .
Part of the magic at Disney is wrapped up in the details. If you're not caught up in the rushing crowd to get in line for Dumbo, you can stop and marvel at the neatly trimmed topiaries or enjoy the dancing fountains. You don't need to have a Ph.D. in Imagineering to make some magic come to life in your own home.
Garden fun. Even if you're not van Gogh, you can still create a decent topiary. Start with a simple shape (save the scene from Lion King for later), follow basic directions , and have patience! If your green thumb is looking a bit purple, try making a faux topiary—attach three foam balls together and use hot glue to cover them with artificial greenery.
It's in the details. As Mousekeepers know, sometimes all you need to create magic and whimsy is a clean towel.
Dream on. Whether you go big or small, "magic" is all about imagination. Walt himself believed if you dream it, you can do it. So whether it's that backyard monorail, a small pond shaped like a Mickey head, or serving Mickey head hamburgers…you can capture that magic at home. Tap into your inner Imagineer, go forth, and spread pixie dust!
Kathleen M. Reilly is the author of WALT DISNEY WORLD EXTREME VACATION GUIDE FOR KIDS and is polkadotsuitcase on the DISboards.
Great article! Just previewed your book and ordered it - looks to be a MUST HAVE for any Disney-loving family! Cannot wait for it to arrive :) PrincessTigerLily
What a great article! Thanks so much for sharing. We're always looking for ways to create that Disney magic between trips and your ideas are wonderfully creative.
| Linda Reilly
Your sons are so lucky to have such a fun, creative mom!
Great article, Kathleen! Thanks for sharing.
Love it - ESPECIALLY the boat on the jello river :)
- Full list of celebrities attending Star Wars Weekends 2014 - New on the list this year are Mark Hamill and John Ratzenberger.
- Race dates for Disney's Marathon Weekend and Princess Half Marathon - List of all the individual race dates for both weekends.
- Happy 50th anniversary to it's a small world! - it's a small world opened at the New York World's Fair on April 22, 1964.
- Blog - Review: Epcot After Hours Wind Down
- Registration opens for the 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon - Registration spots for the races fill up quickly. If you know for sure you want to participate in one of the events, we recommend you register as soon as possible.
- Happy 16th anniversary to Disney's Animal Kingdom - Disney's Animal Kingdom opened on April 22, 1998 - Earth Day.
- Thinking about booking your trip with a travel agent? - Why it's important to book with a travel agent that specializes in Disney vacations.
- Anna and Elsa meet and greet moves to Magic Kingdom today - These popular princesses will no longer be seen in Epcot's Norway pavilion.
- Planning to be at Disney World on Easter? - List of church services, dinners and special activities taking place at Walt Disney World on Easter.
- Blog - Ranking our 5 Senses in Disney's Theme Parks
- Spots still available at Tables in Wonderland event on April 19 - This buffet will bring Tables in Wonderland members together during the Festival for dinner and drinks, then you will head to the Flower Power Concert series to hear the sounds of The Grass Roots.
- Menu items for Epcot After Hours Wind Down - Tickets, which can be reserved in advance, include one beverage and a selection of light snacks.
- Rehabs planned for two of Disney's golf courses - Disney's Magnolia Golf Course and Disney's Oak Trail Golf Course will be closed 5/21 - 6/4/2014.
- Guests at the Swan and Dolphin can now book their FastPass+ 60 days in advance - Onsite resort guests and guests at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin can make FastPass+ reservations up to 60 days in advance. Annual Passholders and offsite guests can make their reservations up to 30 days in advance.
- Blog - Actors Fund Gala Tickets Honoring Disney Theatricals on Sale Now
- Changes to Earl of Sandwich menu - Prices have increased by about 50 cents per sandwich. New sandwiches have been added and others have been removed.
- Epcot After Hours Wind Down lounges to be available - Stick around after IllumiNations for an evening at one of 4 exclusive lounges featuring food and beverages from award-winning Epcot chefs and sommeliers.
- Annual passholders can save up to 35% on WDW hotels, plus get free Memory Maker photos! - Guests will save up to 35% on their room, plus get free Memory Maker digital photos. Discount is valid for travel between 6/16/14 - 8/2/14.
- Blog - VIDEO: Disney reveals first look at animatronics and scenes inside Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- Meet the Easter Bunny at the Magic Kingdom April 13-20 - The Easter Bunny will also have a special pre-parade appearance on 4/19 and 4/20/14. He will be joined by other springtime characters, dancers and the Azalea Trail Maids.
- Carbon-Freeze Me experience at Star Wars Weekends to offer X-Wing Pilots and more - In addition to the carbonite figure, last year's Stormtrooper will be available, as well as two new figurines - an Alderaan Princess and X-Wing Pilot.
- Blog - Third Annual Easter Egg Display at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- Easter activities and special dining menus at Walt Disney World resorts - List of events planned at Walt Disney World resorts.
- Blog - Disney Infinity Teases Marvel & Confirms Version 2.0
- October 2014 Walt Disney World park hours released - List of times for parades, fireworks, and park hours.
- Blog - What To Expect When You're...Cruising with Disney and a Baby: Part 2
- Big Thunder Mountain closed for 2 days for rehab - The attraction will be closed 4/7-4/9/14.
- Surprising your family with a trip to Disney? Check out our tips! - Surprising the kids with a Disney vacation is part of the thrill for some parents. Others would love to do it, but aren’t sure how to pull it off. Here are some different approaches to creating that special surprise for your family!
- Blog - New Lawsuit Attacks Disney’s New Disability Access Service
- VIDEO: Illuminations Sparkling Dessert Party at Epcot - Enjoy a special fireworks viewing area and desserts from around World Showcase paired with sparkling wines.
- Tables in Wonderland event at Golden Oak's Markham's restaurant - For this special evening, guests will dine at the exclusive Markham's restaurant at Disney's Golden Oak Club, Walt Disney World's private residential community.
- Blog - Review: Epcot's new IllumiNations Sparkling Dessert Party
- Blog - Review: Epcot Gardens of the World Tour
- Dates announced for Sounds Like Summer Concert series - The Sounds Like Summer Concert Series features some of the greatest tribute bands rockin' to U2, The Bee Gees, the Eagles and many more during select nights from June to July.
- Night of Joy tickets now on sale - Disney's Night of Joy features contemporary Christian performers. The star-studded lineup is always outstanding and features a host of Dove Award and Grammy Award winning artists.
- Blog - DVC Owner To File Class Action Demanding More FastPass+ Experiences
- Blog - Walt Disney World is now selling MagicBands to Offsite Day Guests
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - World Showcase - The American Adventure - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at World Showcase - The American Adventure, February 12, 2014 - Afternoon.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - World Showcase - Italy - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at World Showcase - Italy, February 12, 2014 - Afternoon
- Parking prices increase at Walt Disney World - Prices have increased $2 for each category.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Echo Lake - Academy Hall of Fame - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Echo Lake - Academy Hall of Fame, February 12, 2014 - Morning
- Cirque du Soleil discount offered for Tables in Wonderland members - Discounted tickets are available for performances April 1-May 10 and May 27-June 28, 2014.
- Tables in Wonderland Flower and Garden Festival Special Dining Event - This buffet will bring Tables in Wonderland members together during the Festival for dinner and drinks, then you will head to the Flower Power Concert series to hear the sounds of The Grass Roots.
- Fittipaldi Cup racing event planned for Walt Disney World Speedway - The Exotic Driving Experience and 2014 Rolex 24 winner Christian Fittipaldi are putting on a half-day racing event at the Walt Disney World Speedway.
- Grand Floridian hosts Edible Easter Egg Display - This is the third year the resort has hosted the display of hand-painted edible Easter eggs; the eggs are 16 to 20 inches tall.
- Star Wars-themed character meals at Hollywood Studios! - For a limited time, guests will have the opportunity to dine with Star Wars characters or Disney characters dressed up in their Star Wars costumes.
- New 2015 Disney Crusie Line Destinations - Disney Cruise Line has added new destinations for 2015! For the first time, the Disney Magic will set sail for Northern Europe, visiting the Norwegian fjords, Iceland and the Faroe Islands. Seven- and nine-night sailings will depart from Copenhagen, Denmark and will immerse guests in the Viking history of this mystical land, which served as the backdrop for Disney's blockbuster film Frozen. Sail past mountains, glaciers, geysers and fjords and stop in port cities reminiscent of storybook villages.
- Kouzzina by Cat Cora to close September 30 - A new restaurant will open in its place this fall.
- Blog - Saying Farewell to Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade at Animal Kingdom
- Blog - The Dream of Retiring to Central Florida
- Egg-stravaganza Easter egg hunt planned for Epcot - Search for special hidden Disney character "eggs" at Epcot.
- Blog - Review: “Muppets Most Wanted” Now Touring Worldwide and in Theaters!
- Blog - Five Reasons You Should Go See 'Muppets Most Wanted' This Weekend
- Mark Hamill - Luke Skywalker - will be attending Star Wars Weekends! - This will be the actor's first appearance at Star Wars Weekends.
- PEEPS-themed Easter events planned for the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin - The resort will be celebrating a PEEPtastic week 4/16 - 4/20/14.
- Brunch planned to debut new Disney Collection by Vera Bradley design - "Mickey's Perfect Petals" will be showcased at the brunch and will be available for purchase.
- Blog - New Frozen Merchandise at Disney Parks
- Extended preview of Maleficent film at Disney's Hollywood Studios - The upcoming Maleficent film, starring Angelina Jolie, opens in theaters May 30. Theme park guests can see an extended preview of the film beginning April 18 and running through mid-June.
- Food Truck Park to open at Downtown Disney - The Food Truck Park is currently under construction and should open this summer between Bongos and Starbucks.
- Blog - Review: Disney's 'Saving Mr. Banks' Now Available On Blu-ray, DVD, & Digital Download
- Blog - Review: "Frozen" Blu-ray Hits Shelves
- Blog - Top 10 Reasons Why March 18th Is The Best Day Ever For Disney Fans
- First quarter earnings for Universal Orlando
- Cell phone charging stations added to Magic Kingdom
- Today Show to film at Universal Orlando on Friday
- James Cameron pleased with Disney's Avatar Land design
- Disney one of the world's most disappointing destinations?
- Universal Orlando painters sent to hospital
- Kickstarter campaign hopes to raise money for "Dark Side of Disney" film
- Disney plans four Star Wars children's books
- SeaWorld Orlando offers summer camps for kids
- Walt Disney World offers new contract to unions
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 11:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 9:30
9:00 - 8:00
10:00 - 6:00
10:00 - 6:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Magic Kingdom
Extra Magic Hour Evening: Hollywood Studios