HALF DAY AT DISNEY
Five itineraries to help you enjoy the magic on your arrival or departure day
You've arrived at Disney World! Woohoo!
…now what? You probably only have part of a day on your arrival (and departure) days, but you're still going to want to enjoy every possible moment of the magic. There's no flopping on the bed watching television in your hotel room for you!
But what if you don't want to use a full park day ticket? No worries. This is Disney, after all, the entertainment Mecca. We've pulled together some sample itineraries to give you some ideas on how to spend those vacation "bookend" days:
The perfect way to start (or wrap up) your Disney shopping is to head to Downtown Disney. Check off everyone on your souvenir list—or pick up that special something for yourself. Catch all the fun at the LEGO shop, or get lost in The World of Disney.
Once you've worked up an appetite, grab a sandwich at the Earl of Sandwich, or sit down and enjoy a full meal at the Rainforest Café, amid the vines, sights, and sounds of the rainforest.
If you're still up for some adventure, go to Cap'n Jack's Marina to rent a canopy or pontoon boat to cruise around for a while, enjoying the view from the water.
Goofy's Candy Company—like the mix-and-match, design-your-own treat. Pair a krispy treat with dark chocolate, crushed Butterfingers, and white chocolate drizzle, marshmallows with white chocolate and crushed Oreo crumbs, or whatever you can dream up. Yum!
If you're lucky enough to be camping at Fort Wilderness already, you probably know how you're going to spend your half-days—staying right where you are and enjoying the fun!
But if you're staying at another resort or off-site, you're still welcome to come to Disney's fabulous campground. Park in the front lot and hop a bus into the campground to enjoy some of the amenities.
Rent a bike or canoe to explore the resort. (Watch out for the armadillos!) Or, rent a boat or sign up for the horseback trail rides. When you're good and hungry, head to Trail's End for some down-home grub (or grab a Giddy Up & Go, a take-out meal that's rumored to be the best in the World).
If you're visiting in the evening, the must-see event is Chip 'n Dale's Campfire Sing-a-long. First, grab some sticks and make yourself s'mores until you can't squeeze in another. Or, buy some popcorn, pizza, hot dogs, or other snacks at the Chuckwagon. Then, belt out some familiar tunes with the rest of the gang, and wait for Chip and Dale to come out and say howdy. After that, settle in for the movie on the outdoor screen.
Electric Water Pageantfloats right past the Fort Wilderness beach every night, so be sure to catch this sparkly, lighted parade of floats before you head out.
Head over toward Epcot to explore the Boardwalk, Yacht Club, and Beach Club resorts. If you're visiting in the evening, your first stop should be Beaches & Cream Soda Shop. Got a good-sized crowd with you (or maybe you're just feeling extra-hungry)? Ask for the Kitchen Sink—and plenty of spoons to share.
After you've had your ice cream fix, stroll around the grounds of the Yacht and Beach Club. Check out Stormalong Bay—although you can only swim if you're a guest, it's worth taking a peek!
Then, cross over the bridge to the Boardwalk. Rent a surrey bike and pedal your way around the Crescent Lake, stopping to watch the live entertainment.
The adults in your party can dance the night away or enjoy the lively music scene at Jellyroll and the Atlantic Dance Hall, or pop in to the ESPN bar to catch a game on one of the many televisions.
And if you're visiting in the morning? Don't miss the Boardwalk Bakery. Pick out a pastry fresh from their oven, and enjoy it at the tables out by the lake.
Disney's West Side is a great half day, evening hot spot. Even if you thought you were tired from traveling, you might find you're having so much fun you play well into the night.
If you've got avid gamers on your hands, DisneyQuest is a must. Five floors of high-tech fun await you. Paddle a raft through a jungle, build (and then ride!) a roller coaster, enjoy old pinball favorites, record your own music…it's a video-lover's dream.
After you've gotten your fill of beeping and joysticks, catch the Cirque du Soleil. You'll be dazzled by the feats and sights of the live performances.
Feel like just relaxing? AMC Pleasure Island 24 Theaters offers all the latest releases in comfy stadium seating.
For part of your day, grab a towel and just head to your resort pool. No matter which resort you're staying at, Disney's fantastic theming makes every pool something special.
Afterward, dry off and do a little resort hopping. If you park at a monorail resort, you can climb aboard the monorail and take a tour through the Grand Floridian, Polynesian, and Contemporary resorts. Hop off whenever you like and explore the theming, or grab a bite to eat at the resort restaurants.
If you're visiting in the evening, you can catch the fireworks over at the Magic Kingdom right from the beach at the Polynesian and Grand Floridian. Then, wait for the Electric Water Pageant to float on by.
Don't forget—morning and evening are perfect photo-taking times, before the sun climbs too high and gives you harsh lighting conditions. Take advantage of the timing to snap some lasting memories of your Disney vacation.
Kathleen M. Reilly is the author of WALT DISNEY WORLD EXTREME VACATION GUIDE FOR KIDS and is polkadotsuitcase on the DISboards.
I liked your article is an interesting technology thanks to google I found you
Last trip we got there in the middle of the day and had reservations for dinner at O'hana that night. We took our time exploring the other resorts on the monorail and boat. At the Polynesian we got to enjoy the Magic Kingdom fireworks in the restaurant with music piped in. Dinner was awesome! This was a great way to start our vacation.
That?s really sherwd! Good to see the logic set out so well.
All the suggestions are wonderful. I would only say. RELAX. Take it all in and go slow. That way all the wonder that is Disney is absorbed and enjoyed and a vacation really is taken instead of a frantic trip
| Sheila Moran
I wish we could stay long enough to do all these things but I have one more idea get a in park bus to the french quarter.then ride the free boat to downtown disney.This will start your vacation with happy children,and adults!
Since its more than likely you paid for a day anyway and go to the parks and stay until the last possible moment. Or if you happen to go during the christmas season hop to different hotels. the decorations are awesome or go to Fort Wilderness Campground, people decorate their campers, quite a sight to see.
Don't forget to check your resort's itinerary for the day. They often have lots of fun activities planned throughout the day, including movies & craft projects for the kids!
| Ron G.
Love the article, but did everyone forget if you have a four day ticket or more adding an extra only costs $3-4, so it's not like your wasting bunches of money to spend a few hours in one of the parks. I do love finding fun thing to do outside the parks, but I go to WDW for the parks.
Dont forget about the "goofy golf"! There are 2 locations on property and it makes for a fun couple of hours!
Start your own traditions! For example, we like to start our vacation by visiting Magic Kingdom and having the photo pass photographers take our pictures in front of the Castle. We eat dinner once during our vacation at Cinderella's Royal Table, usually in the middle of our trip. Then on our last morning there, we enjoy a hearty buffet breakfast at the Crystal Palace and go on our favorite ride one last time before flying home to NJ.
Great suggestions! We usually grab dinner at Epcot and see Illuminations our first night. We stay long enough at WDW that an extra day on our passes is just a few dollars - well worth the price to grab some extra park time!
While you're at Fort Wilderness, visit the Tri-Circle-D Ranch where they stable the horses used to pull the trolleys on Main Street. One stall has been converted to a Horse Museum, with photos of many of the horses that were featured in Disney movies. You can also see the white ponies that pull Cinderella's Carriage.
| Loreen C. Gorzelany
How about hotel hopping using the monorail. Good way to see more of Disney on the monorail and the hotels are beautiful.
These are all great ideas! A common half-day itinerary for us on our last day is having breakfast at Chef Mickey's in the Contemporary Resort, and then doing some shopping at Downtown Disney.
| Dawn B
Excellent suggestions. The last time we went (2006) we went to Downtown. We're planning on doing that again in December but may do one of the others instead.
| Ronald Barnard
Great set of half day suggestions. Some of my party will arrive before me and those suggestions will help a lot. I wish that Disney did have an after 5pm discount so we could enjoy an evening in one of the parks, like Epcot. It is such a great place to stroll around the countries as the sun goes down. We will try most of your suggestions at the end of this month. Thanks
Great suggestions. I would add another... Tour the Animal Kingdom Lodge to view (for free) the animals on the Savanna. There are several viewing areas, some good places to grab food, and a nice gift shop.
| Dawn Smith
Great article. Being an avid Disney traveler, I have tried all of your suggestions and highly recommend them to others. Thanks for bringing me the Disney spirit while I wait for my next trip!
| Abby Balque
Ride the monorails and the boats when you get their. Before you leave, relax and remember your trip. A time to say goodbye. A.
Hi! Although we've done many of the things listed here, it still gave us many things to think about for our next trip down! Thx!
- Pricing structure changed for Valet Parking at Downtown Disney - Pricing is based on length of stay - time starts when you reach the valet podium and stops when you return to the podium to pick up your car.
- Blog - Top 5 Must Do's at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party
- Pangani Research Center closes for refurb - Pangani Research Center- Aviary and Hippo viewing area will be closed 9/2 - 11/14/2014.
- Blog - Villains Soiree - Wickedly Disappointing
- Blog - Dole Whips are back at the Polynesian Village Resort at the new and disappointing Pineapple Lanai
- Shortened monorail operating hours now in place - The monorail will have a different operating schedule than normal as an automation upgrade takes place.
- Blog - The Good and Bad of "Toy Story of TERROR!" on Blu-ray
- American Idol Experience is now closed at Disney's Hollywood Studios - This attraction closed August 30, 2014. No definitive plans have been announced for this space.
- VIDEO: Oogie Boogie's Freaky Funhouse Show at Villains Unleashed - Oogie Boogie's Freaky Funhouse Show at Villains Unleashed brings Vegas to Walt Disney World. Villains Unleashed took over Disney's Hollywood Studios on August 23, 2014 and part of the hard ticket event was Oogie Boogie's Freak Funhouse Show. Oogie Boogie hosts the show that features a sword-swallowing act, daredevil archery and a finale full of fire!
- Refurb closures planned for Walt Disney World water parks - Typhoon Lagoon will be closed 10/26/14-1/3/15 and Blizzard Beach will be closed 1/4/15-3/14/15.
- Top 5 Signature Dining Experiences at the Walt Disney World Resorts - 1,600 listeners and viewers of our DIS Unplugged web-cast voted on their favorite signature restaurants at the Walt Disney World resort hotels.
- Blog - The Top 5 Underutilized Spaces at Walt Disney World
- Starbucks will open at Hollywood Studios in February 2015 - The Trolley Car Cafe will be located along Hollywood Boulevard and be themed like a trolley car station. Disney baked goods and Starbucks La Boulange pastry items will be available. An exact location hasn't been announced.
- VIDEO - Frozen Fireworks Multi-Angle Full Show - “Frozen” Fireworks Spectacular – Everything wraps up at 9:45 p.m. when Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, and Olaf come together at the Sorcerer’s Hat Icon Stage for a grand finale to the day’s festivities, kicking off an awe-inspiring fireworks display set to the glorious music of “Frozen!”
- VIDEO: Star-Lord & Gamora from 'Guardians of the Galaxy' at Villains Unleashed - Peter Quill, aka Star-Lord, and Gamora made their first appearance ever at the Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix Tape Vol. 1 Dance Party during the Villains Unleashed event at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
- Mikala Canoe Club Marina at Polynesian to be closed for refurb - The marina will be closed 9/15 - 9/19/2014. Sail boat/motorized boats and fishing excursions will not be available.
- Entrance 4 to Downtown Disney's parking lot now closed - Entrance 4 (between Cirque du Soleil and DisneyQuest) is now closed permanently. The only entrances are Entrance 2 (across from the Hess Station) and Entrance 5 (across from Typhoon Lagoon).
- VIDEO: Villains Unleashed Opening Ceremony - Villains Unleashed kicked off at Disney's Hollywood Studios with an opening ceremony hosted by Hades, Pain, Panic and Megara from Hercules. Once the stars of the night took the stage they introduced some of the 50 Disney Villains guests could meet at the special hard ticket event.
- VIDEO: Villains Unleashed Event Overview - Over 50 Disney villains took over Disney's Hollywood Studios for the Villains Unleashed Event.
- Times updated for events at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - The Party is a specially ticketed event at the Magic Kingdom that begins September 1.
- Villains' Sinister Soiree add-on available for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - This special add-on will give guests preferred viewing for Mickey's Boo to You Halloween Parade (8:15pm) and the Happy HalloWishes fireworks show. Lady Tremaine will host a dessert soiree at Cinderella's Royal Table Restaurant for you and some of her friends.
- 5 Elements from the Disney Parks that You'll Find on a Disney Cruise Ship - You have been to the Disney Parks, and you love them. You keep going back for that pixie-dust rush. You can’t imagine a vacation apart from Disney Parks, yet somehow the “old and familiar” is getting a bit old and familiar. This is where the Disney Cruise Line enters. It’s a Disney vacation of a different variety. The dissimilarities are a bit obvious. You’re on a ship in the ocean, visiting foreign places. This is nothing like being landlocked in a park, surrounded by coasters and kiosks. So what can you expect from the Disney Parks to carry over to your cruise?
- Blog - "Villains Unleashed" needs leashing up - Disney's overcrowded hard ticket event leaves guests in long lines most of the night
- Mickey's PhilharMagic refurb extended - The end date has been moved from September 19 to the 28th. The attraction will go down September 8.
- Enchanted Tiki Room going down for refurb in late September - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed from 9/27 - 10/3/2014.
- Two Epcot New Year's Eve dining events released - More New Year's Eve events are yet to be released.
- Blog - Beyond Aulani
- Updated operating schedule for monorails - The monorail will have a different operating schedule than normal as an automation upgrade takes place.
- Charging stations for electric vehicles added to Epcot parking lot - Disney has added four Level 2 ChargePoint charging stations to the Journey parking lot at Epcot. Electric vehicles will be charged $.35 per kw/h, with a minimum charge of $1.50.
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party tickets sold out on 10/31/14 - Tickets are still available for all other dates.
- New Move it! Shake it! Dance and Play it! Street Party to debut at Magic Kingdom this fall - Stitch and Phineas & Ferb will join the party and Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Goofy will ride on top of giant gift boxes. The soundtrack will feature remixed classic party songs and guests will vote for one of three current hits to be played.
- VIDEO: What's New at Aulani - Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa has many new offerings. Quick service at Ulu Cafe, kids splash zone at Keiki Cove, two new pools, and much more.
- MagicBands can now be purchased without ticket media - The bands are now available for purchase across property.
- Changes to boat schedules at Downtown Disney - Schedules have been changing recently due to construction.
- Blog - The Good and Bad of the "Muppets Most Wanted" Blu-ray
- Ultimate Day VIP Tour available at Epcot Food & Wine Festival - This daylong tour begins at the Festival Center's VIP Lounge and includes champagne, a beverage tasting, six-course tapas-style lunch, wine, private backstage tours, time on Epcot attractions, food and beverage pairings with Disney chefs, VIP seating at the Eat to the Beat Concert Series, and reserved seating for IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth fireworks spectacular.
- Blog - New Golden Oak Outpost Menu is Waffle Fry Heaven
- Sunrise Safari at Animal Kingdom ending 12/28/14 - This tour is exclusive to Animal Kingdom Lodge Kilimanjaro Club Level guests.
- American Idol Experience to close August 30 - No plans have been announced for the space.
- Florida residents save $40 on Cirque du Soleil tickets - Through September and October, Florida residents will save $40 on adult Cirque du Soleil tickets purchased at the box office.
- VIDEO: The Refurbished Capt. Cook's at Polynesian Resort - After a long refurbishment, Capt. Cook's has reopened at the Polynesian Village Resort. Major changes include artwork in the seating area, a new menu, no more ordering off of touch screens and the tragic loss of the Dole Whip self-serve machine.
- American Film Institute at the end of Backlot Tour to close - As of August 17, the American Film Institute Showcase exhibit at the end of the ride will be closed. This exhibit features props and costumes from various films. The gift shop will also close.
- D23 Expo 2015 tickets are now on sale - Tickets for next year's D23 Expo are now on sale. The D23 Expo will be held August 14-16, 2015 at the Anaheim Convention Center.
- Blog - Polynesian Resort's Capt. Cook's quick service restaurant reopens after refurbishment
- Golden Oak Outpost now serving specialty waffle fries - This walk-up stand is located on the backside of Frontierland on the walkway to Adventureland.
- Tower of Terror On-ride videos available with Memory Maker - After riding The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, a video of the guest's ride will be added to their My Disney Experience account. This video is only available to guests who have purchased Memory Maker.
- Win a 2 Night / 3 Day stay at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin! - Answer 3 questions about the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin on our contest page for a chance to WIN!
- Great Irish Hooley Festival to be held at Downtown Disney - "Hooley" is Irish slang for party or celebration. Celebrate with food, drink and dancing.
- Update coming to My Disney Experience - make dining reservations 20 minutes in advance - A new update will allow guests to make same day dining reservations only 20 minutes in advance.
- Performance times updated for Night of Joy - Disney’s Night of Joy is a hard-ticket event at the Magic Kingdom that features contemporary Christian performers.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Polynesian Resort Lobby - Lobby Waterfall - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at the Polynesian Resort.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Continues to Materialize
- Refurb scheduled this winter for the Haunted Mansion - The attraction will be closed from 12/1 - 12/19/14.
- It's Tough to be a Bug refurb extended until 9/27 - This attraction was originally scheduled to reopen August 11, but will instead stay closed through September 27.
- Yankee Trader shop refurb extended through December - The shop is becoming a Haunted Mansion gift shop.
- Disney and unions argue about extra shift distribution policy
- Polynesian Resort opens new Dole Whip location
- Popular EPCOT acts to depart this Fall
- Wet 'n Wild employee trapped in pool; now in critical condition
- Star Wars mobile game app released by Disney
- Disney contract approved by part-time employees
- Citation banning whale trainers from water will not be appealed by SeaWorld
- Disney cancels 2014 Festival of the Masters art show
- Radio Disney to shut down stations and lay off employees
- Disney proposes new contract for part-time employees
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 10:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 5:00
10:00 - 5:00 PM
10:00 - 5:00 PM
Extra Magic Hour Evening: Epcot FW