Disney Transportation Discounts
First, ask yourself if you need a rental car while at Walt Disney World. There are shuttles, taxis and car services that can get you to and from the airport to the resort. Magical Express provides complimentary transportation for Walt Disney World Resort guests from the Orlando airport to the resort and back.
If you plan on visiting destinations outside of Walt Disney World, then a rental car is the smart choice, but that doesn’t mean that you need to rent a car for your entire stay. You can pick up/drop off cars at convenient locations at Walt Disney World if you rent with Alamo or National.
As you can see, when staying onsite at Walt Disney World, getting a rental car is a personal choice, not a necessity. Still, some prefer the freedom of having a vehicle at their disposal. If that’s the case, there are plenty of discounts out there, if you know where to look.
Orlando Rental Car Locations:
to the Orlando Airport Website--Orlando is the
largest rental car market in the world. All
of the major car rental companies easily accessible
from the airport.
The Orlando Airport (airport code MCO) has several on-site rental car companies, and the others are located off of airport property.
The following companies have on-site car rentals:
|Advantage Rent A Car||(407) 857-1999|
For all offers, visit Alamo and click on “Hot Deals”
(Discount rate code Y937800)
(800) 800-6000 (International)
|E-Z Rent-A-Car||(800) 277-5171|
|L and M Car Rental||(800) 277-5171|
|Thrifty Car Rental||(800) 367-2277|
The following companies are located off of airport property, but they are also available options for renting.
|Action Car Rental
|Affordable Car Rental
|American Car Rental
|Best Rate Car Rental
|Carl's Rent A Van||(407) 849-5211|
|Florida Van Rental
|Fox Rent A Car||(855) 849-4214|
|GPL Van Rental
|Magna Auto Rentals
|| (321) 269-6851
|Sixt Rent A Car
|U-Save Car & Truck Rental
|Value Car Rental
Additional rental car options are located on Disney property (Alamo/National) at the Car Care Center and at the Dolphin Hotel. In addition there are also pick up/drop off locations at some of the Downtown Disney area hotels.
If you wish to rent a car to use for transportation to the Disney cruise terminal, the following companies offer locations near the cruise terminal:
Avis, Budget, Hertz, Thrifty and National. However of these companies, Thrifty charges an additional fee for drop off at the port location (at last check it was $50.)
To assist you with booking for drop off at the Port Canaveral area, the following are the location codes for Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach area:
Budget, Avis and Hertz also offer a courtesy shuttle to/from the cruise ships.
Sam’s Clubs - Special rental car rates are available with Budget, Enterprise, Alamo, National, Hertz and Dollar. You must be a Sam’s Club member and register on their website to access these discounted offers: Rental Cars
Member’s of BJ’s Wholesale Clubs can save up to 25% off of car rentals.
Costco’s great. You don’t have to be a member to check their prices: Rental Car Discounts
www.sidestep.com isn’t just for airline discounts. You can compare rental car rates in one easy step.
Are you a member of the AFL-CIO? You’re eligible for union member discounts: Rental Car Discounts Other unions may have similar offers.
And then there are the myriad offers made via credit card companies. Many have rental car discounts. For example, Disney Visa Offers are worth checking into.
With a little bit of homework, you're bound to find an offer for your travel dates.
Rental Car Tricks of the Trade and Tips:
- Always print your confirmation when you book your reservation online. It is always helpful to have a copy of the confirmation with you in case of any discrepancies on the rental fee.
- Check back from time to time and re-price your reservation. Rates change often and you may be able to lower your cost by re- booking the reservation.
- Join the car rental company’s frequent renter program. This will often save you time in line for picking up the vehicle, and may even offer special discounts.
- Sign up for internet special offers on the car rental company website if offered. There are often limited time internet only discounts to be had.
- Combine discount codes and coupons whenever possible. With the right combination of codes and coupons you can shave a good deal off of your rental cost.
- Check for different car classes. You may find a special offer on a minivan rather than a compact at times. It pays to shop the car classes. When gas prices rise, you may find that a SUV rents for less than a mid-size car.
- Check to see if you have a “membership affiliation” that offers car rental discounts. Having AAA will save you with most companies. Additionally wholesale club members (Costco, BJs, Sam’s Club) often qualify for discounts with the car rental companies. I was able to get a great rate with Budget by being a Sam’s Club member.
- Purchase an Entertainment book. These have great coupons that can be used for car rental savings. They offer % off, free rental days, upgrades, and more.
You can generally find some great discount codes for most of the car rental companies here. Often times these can be combined with coupons (such as in the Entertainment book)
With the increase in the price of fuel and with airlines cutting back on flights meaning fewer empty seats, finding a discounted rate is becoming a real challenge. If you're lucky enough to live in markets that discounters such as Southwest or Jet Blue service, you stand a better chance of getting a reasonable rate. If not, there are still some tips that can help in getting the best rate for your travel.
Here are a few tips to help you find the right plane ticket at the right price:
1. First and foremost, be flexible. If you're willing to change your dates/times of travel, you may be able to find a lower fare.
2. Sign up for DING alerts with Southwest. You'll be notified when new airline discounts are released. Another site that notifies you of special deals is Sidestep. One thing to note with Sidestep, when making a flight comparison, don't assume that you're seeing the fares of all of the carriers. There are some airlines that they don't track. (Check the airport site itself to make sure you know all of your airline options.)
3. Plan ahead. In most cases, the earlier you book your flight, the better the price will be.
4. Some online hotel deals now require a non-refundable payment. Think twice before locking into an offer. If you haven't made your flight arrangements, you may find out after the fact that leaving a day or two early would have saved you a ton.
5. Don't assume the low cost carriers will have the best fare. Always compare rates with the traditional airlines to make sure you're getting the best rate.
6. Join the airline's frequent flyer programs and sign up for their fare alerts
7. There are times when the fees/taxes/surcharges surpass the price of the ticket. This is more often seen in international travel. Be sure you know the full fare when selecting your flights.
8. Just like everything else nowadays, the airlines want you to book online and offer price incentives for you to do so. While you may want to call to discuss different options that could result in a savings, don't be surprised if the rate is higher than what you found online.
9. Sign up for a credit card that gives you air miles. If you use it as your primary card, before you know it you will have accumulated enough miles for a free ticket.
10. Clear your cookies. If you're checking the same site for a fare, you may end up viewing the same information you saw earlier rather than the most current offer. Clean out your cookies from your internet browser.
11. The old adage about staying overnight on a Saturday no longer makes much of a difference, but flying on "off days" does. See if arriving/departing mid week lowers the fare.
12. Combine flights on different airlines when it's more cost effective. Many airlines will transfer your luggage between them. (In some cases, you'll need to retrieve your bags and check them again as you continue your route.)
13. Another consideration is the time of your flight. Those early morning and late evening flights are often cheaper than midday travel.
14. Don't assume that sites like Travelocity, Expedia, etc. will have identical deals. They each negotiate their rates with the airlines and the prices can vary. Always check the airlines' website as well since they're becoming increasingly competitive to these travel booking sites.
15. If you see an advertised rate that's lower than what your preferred airline is offering, call to see if they'll match it.
16. If the price is right, think about connecting flights. A bit of inconvenience may be worth it when it comes to $$$$.
17. Find out your airline's hub cities and see if flying through one of them is cheaper.
18. Good fares on popular routes go fast, so be prepared to act when you see a good deal. It's wise to track the prices for a few weeks to get a good idea of what the average prices are. This way, you'll know a good rate when you spot it.
19. Keep checking the fares even after you've booked. If they do go down, you may be able to get the better rate. (In most cases, there will be a penalty fee for making the change. If you come out ahead, go for it.)
20. This is tricky...but try what is called the "hidden city" flights using Orlando as the layover stop. This one is REALLY tough and geared toward the more experienced flyer.
21. If you are planning on renting a car, don't overlook flying into Tampa International Airport, Sanford, Daytona or Melbourne airports over Orlando International. If the price is right, the drive is worth it.
- Blog - Help! A Walt Disney World Vet’s First Time at Disneyland – Part 5
- Watch our live broadcast from Disney's Aulani Resort - Tue. May 21 at 8pm EDT - Disney... Beyond The Parks! Come with us as we visit Disney's Aulani Resort, sail on an Alaskan Disney cruise, and take an Adventures By Disney trip! We're kicking off the trip with a live broadcast from Disney's Aulani Resort - Tue. May 21, 2013 8:00pm EDT.
- Livestream coverage of Star Wars Weekends events - Photos and video of Star Wars Weekends at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
- Blog - Star Wars Weekends 2013 comes to Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Schedule of artists for the Eat to the Beat concerts - As with all Disney events, themed entertainment is part of the festivities. Visitors to the Food and Wine Festival can "Eat to the Beat!"
- Festival of the Masters dates released for November 2013 - This art festival will be held at Downtown Disney November 8-10, 2013.
- Blog - FIRST LOOK: Disney's MyMagic+ MagicBand - The DIS got a first look at Disney's new MagicBands which are part of their MyMagic+ rollout! Take a look at the photos of the MagicBand and a brief review of what we thought about wearing them...
- Blog - Summer Dooney & Bourke Release Update
- Schedule released for Star Wars Weekends - Schedule for the events during Star Wars Weekends.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Disney's Hollywood Studios - Sunset Boulevard - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Walt Disney World.
- Free admission to Blizzard Beach for Annual Passholders today! - Today, May 16, Annual Passholders will get complimentary admission to Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park after 2:00 pm. Complimentary refreshments and giveaways will take place at Lottawatta Lodge.
- Blog - Moving the Needle at the Orlando Theme Parks
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Magic Kingdom - Crystal Palace - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Walt Disney World.
- Adventurers Outpost meet and greet location opens at Animal Kingdom - The new indoor meet and greet location for Mickey and Minnie is now open in Discovery Island.
- November 2013 Disney World park hours added
- Details released for 2013 Epcot Food and Wine Festival - A Scotland marketplace will be added. Dates for the Party for the Senses, as well as a partial schedule for the Eat to the Beat concerts also released.
- Summer edition coming to Celebrate the Magic show - The summer edition of this show will start later this month, possibly May 24, during the 24-hour Monstrous Summer event.
- Cirque du Soleil closed for refurbishment through May 27 - The next performance of Cirque du Soleil will be May 28.
- Blog - The Contemporary Resort Hotel – Walt Disney World’s Resort Loop Hotels
- Book a trip during the Free Dining promotion! - Free dining is available for check-ins between 9/2 and 9/25/13!
- New operating hours for Splitsville at Downtown Disney - Splitsville, Downtown Disney's luxury bowling alley, has updated its hours of operation.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench Video - Art of Animation - Wheel Well Hotel - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Walt Disney World.
- Typhoon Lagoon to close for refurbishment - Disney's Typhoon Lagoon water park will be closed from May 12 - May 16 for refurbishment.
- Blog - Merida becomes a Disney Princess (Includes Coronation Video)!
- Limited Time Magic: Make a Moment in Time Out of Mother's Day - Stop by Tren-D or the World of Disney Store at Downtown Disney to see the new collection of watches designed just for the occasion. Moms will receive a flower on Mother's Day when they enter the theme parks.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Coronado Springs - Marina Courtyard - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Walt Disney World.
- Life-size rancor replica and three one-man shows coming to Star Wars Weekends - Guests will have a photo op with a replica rancor, Jabba the Hut's prized pet. There will also be three one-man shows performed by some of the celebrity guests.
- 30% off Room Only offer available for the general public! - Guests can save up to 30% when they book a Room Only reservation at select Walt Disney World resorts for most nights 8/15/13 - 9/28/13.
- Free Dining offer available for the general public! - Walt Disney World has announced a Free Dining offer for the general public!
- Raglan Road to host Summer Solstice Celebration - Master Chef Kevin Dundon has created the five-course menu for this meal, celebrating the Summer Solstice with fresh, seasonal flavors. Wines have been chosen for each course. Celebrating the Summer Solstice is a time-honored tradition and marks the official start to summer.
- Blog - Disney’s Animal Kingdom’s Split Personality
- Celebrity list updated for Star Wars Weekends - The list of celebrities appearing at Star Wars Weekends later this month has been updated.
- Truckeria Rolling Tacos food truck parked at Downtown Disney this week - Food is available from 6pm - 11pm and will include tacos, chips and salsa.
- Walt Disney World Annual Passholders can save up to 35% at select hotels - Annual passholders can save up to 35% when booking a Room Only reservation at select Walt Disney World hotels. Discount is valid for travel between 6/4/13 - 8/15/13.
- 30% off Room Only offer for Disney Visa cardholders! - Disney Visa cardholders can save up to 30% when they book a Room Only reservation at select Walt Disney World resorts for most nights 8/15/13 - 9/28/13.
- Free Dining offer announced for Disney Visa cardholders! - Disney Visa cardholders can book a Walt Disney World vacation package for 9/2/13 - 9/25/13 and receive the Disney Dining Plan for free!
- Walt Disney World golf courses offer new Players Club program - For $29 per month, members can use the practice ranges for free and take advantage of free daily golf clinics (Monday-Friday) led by PGA-certified golf instructors, as well as receive other discounts.
- Blog - May the Fourth Be with You: Intergalactic Star Wars Shopping
- Limited Time Magic: Celebrate Cinco de Mayo at Epcot - Meet the Three Caballeros, enjoy live music, marionettes, folkloric dancing and songs by Mariachi Cobre.
- Limited Time Magic: Merida Becomes an Official Disney Princess - In a royal coronation ceremony at the Magic Kingdom, Merida (from the film Brave) will be christened as an official Disney Princess.
- Blog - New Disney Dooney & Bourke Release This Summer
- List of performers for 2013 Night of Joy concerts - Disney’s Night of Joy features contemporary Christian performers. The star-studded lineup is always outstanding and features a host of Dove Award and Grammy Award winning artists.
- Blog - Help! A Walt Disney World Vet’s First Time at Disneyland – Part 4
- Walt Disney World uses online job fair to hire employees
- Former Disney World employee arrested on pornography charges
- Half-hour Toy Story special coming to ABC this fall
- Expedition Cafe to open with SeaWorld's Antarctica exhibit
- Tour company uses wheelchairs to promise front of the line access at Walt Disney World?
- Calfornia adjusts safety citations and fines against Disneyland
- Disney and Electronic Arts to produce Star Wars video games
- Several Disney Junior and Disney XD shows to be available on Netflix
- Universal Orlando officially announces Harry Potter expansion
- Universal plans stilt walking demonstration at Orange County History Center