Disney Transportation Discounts
First, ask yourself if you need a rental car while at Walt Disney World. There are shuttles, taxis and car services that can get you to and from the airport to the resort. Magical Express provides complimentary transportation for Walt Disney World Resort guests from the Orlando airport to the resort and back.
If you plan on visiting destinations outside of Walt Disney World, then a rental car is the smart choice, but that doesn’t mean that you need to rent a car for your entire stay. You can pick up/drop off cars at convenient locations at Walt Disney World if you rent with Alamo or National.
As you can see, when staying onsite at Walt Disney World, getting a rental car is a personal choice, not a necessity. Still, some prefer the freedom of having a vehicle at their disposal. If that’s the case, there are plenty of discounts out there, if you know where to look.
Orlando Rental Car Locations:
to the Orlando Airport Website--Orlando is the
largest rental car market in the world. All
of the major car rental companies easily accessible
from the airport.
The Orlando Airport (airport code MCO) has several on-site rental car companies, and the others are located off of airport property.
The following companies have on-site car rentals:
|Advantage Rent A Car||(407) 857-1999|
For all offers, visit Alamo and click on “Hot Deals”
(800) 800-6000 (International)
|E-Z Rent-A-Car||(800) 277-5171|
|L and M Car Rental||(800) 277-5171|
|Thrifty Car Rental||(800) 367-2277|
The following companies are located off of airport property, but they are also available options for renting.
|Action Car Rental
|Affordable Car Rental
|American Car Rental
|Best Rate Car Rental
|Carl's Rent A Van||(407) 849-5211|
|Florida Van Rental
|Fox Rent A Car||(855) 849-4214|
|GPL Van Rental
|Magna Auto Rentals
|| (321) 269-6851
|Sixt Rent A Car
|U-Save Car & Truck Rental
|Value Car Rental
Additional rental car options are located on Disney property (Alamo/National) at the Car Care Center and at the Dolphin Hotel. In addition there are also pick up/drop off locations at some of the Downtown Disney area hotels.
If you wish to rent a car to use for transportation to the Disney cruise terminal, the following companies offer locations near the cruise terminal:
Avis, Budget, Hertz, Thrifty and National. However of these companies, Thrifty charges an additional fee for drop off at the port location (at last check it was $50.)
To assist you with booking for drop off at the Port Canaveral area, the following are the location codes for Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach area:
Budget, Avis and Hertz also offer a courtesy shuttle to/from the cruise ships.
Sam’s Clubs - Special rental car rates are available with Budget, Enterprise, Alamo, National, Hertz and Dollar. You must be a Sam’s Club member and register on their website to access these discounted offers: Rental Cars
Member’s of BJ’s Wholesale Clubs can save up to 25% off of car rentals.
Costco’s great. You don’t have to be a member to check their prices: Rental Car Discounts
www.sidestep.com isn’t just for airline discounts. You can compare rental car rates in one easy step.
Are you a member of the AFL-CIO? You’re eligible for union member discounts: Rental Car Discounts Other unions may have similar offers.
And then there are the myriad offers made via credit card companies. Many have rental car discounts. For example, Disney Visa Offers are worth checking into.
With a little bit of homework, you're bound to find an offer for your travel dates.
Rental Car Tricks of the Trade and Tips:
- Always print your confirmation when you book your reservation online. It is always helpful to have a copy of the confirmation with you in case of any discrepancies on the rental fee.
- Check back from time to time and re-price your reservation. Rates change often and you may be able to lower your cost by re- booking the reservation.
- Join the car rental company’s frequent renter program. This will often save you time in line for picking up the vehicle, and may even offer special discounts.
- Sign up for internet special offers on the car rental company website if offered. There are often limited time internet only discounts to be had.
- Combine discount codes and coupons whenever possible. With the right combination of codes and coupons you can shave a good deal off of your rental cost.
- Check for different car classes. You may find a special offer on a minivan rather than a compact at times. It pays to shop the car classes. When gas prices rise, you may find that a SUV rents for less than a mid-size car.
- Check to see if you have a “membership affiliation” that offers car rental discounts. Having AAA will save you with most companies. Additionally wholesale club members (Costco, BJs, Sam’s Club) often qualify for discounts with the car rental companies. I was able to get a great rate with Budget by being a Sam’s Club member.
- Purchase an Entertainment book. These have great coupons that can be used for car rental savings. They offer % off, free rental days, upgrades, and more.
You can generally find some great discount codes for most of the car rental companies here. Often times these can be combined with coupons (such as in the Entertainment book)
With the increase in the price of fuel and with airlines cutting back on flights meaning fewer empty seats, finding a discounted rate is becoming a real challenge. If you're lucky enough to live in markets that discounters such as Southwest or Jet Blue service, you stand a better chance of getting a reasonable rate. If not, there are still some tips that can help in getting the best rate for your travel.
Here are a few tips to help you find the right plane ticket at the right price:
1. First and foremost, be flexible. If you're willing to change your dates/times of travel, you may be able to find a lower fare.
2. Sign up for DING alerts with Southwest. You'll be notified when new airline discounts are released. Another site that notifies you of special deals is Sidestep. One thing to note with Sidestep, when making a flight comparison, don't assume that you're seeing the fares of all of the carriers. There are some airlines that they don't track. (Check the airport site itself to make sure you know all of your airline options.)
3. Plan ahead. In most cases, the earlier you book your flight, the better the price will be.
4. Some online hotel deals now require a non-refundable payment. Think twice before locking into an offer. If you haven't made your flight arrangements, you may find out after the fact that leaving a day or two early would have saved you a ton.
5. Don't assume the low cost carriers will have the best fare. Always compare rates with the traditional airlines to make sure you're getting the best rate.
6. Join the airline's frequent flyer programs and sign up for their fare alerts
7. There are times when the fees/taxes/surcharges surpass the price of the ticket. This is more often seen in international travel. Be sure you know the full fare when selecting your flights.
8. Just like everything else nowadays, the airlines want you to book online and offer price incentives for you to do so. While you may want to call to discuss different options that could result in a savings, don't be surprised if the rate is higher than what you found online.
9. Sign up for a credit card that gives you air miles. If you use it as your primary card, before you know it you will have accumulated enough miles for a free ticket.
10. Clear your cookies. If you're checking the same site for a fare, you may end up viewing the same information you saw earlier rather than the most current offer. Clean out your cookies from your internet browser.
11. The old adage about staying overnight on a Saturday no longer makes much of a difference, but flying on "off days" does. See if arriving/departing mid week lowers the fare.
12. Combine flights on different airlines when it's more cost effective. Many airlines will transfer your luggage between them. (In some cases, you'll need to retrieve your bags and check them again as you continue your route.)
13. Another consideration is the time of your flight. Those early morning and late evening flights are often cheaper than midday travel.
14. Don't assume that sites like Travelocity, Expedia, etc. will have identical deals. They each negotiate their rates with the airlines and the prices can vary. Always check the airlines' website as well since they're becoming increasingly competitive to these travel booking sites.
15. If you see an advertised rate that's lower than what your preferred airline is offering, call to see if they'll match it.
16. If the price is right, think about connecting flights. A bit of inconvenience may be worth it when it comes to $$$$.
17. Find out your airline's hub cities and see if flying through one of them is cheaper.
18. Good fares on popular routes go fast, so be prepared to act when you see a good deal. It's wise to track the prices for a few weeks to get a good idea of what the average prices are. This way, you'll know a good rate when you spot it.
19. Keep checking the fares even after you've booked. If they do go down, you may be able to get the better rate. (In most cases, there will be a penalty fee for making the change. If you come out ahead, go for it.)
20. This is tricky...but try what is called the "hidden city" flights using Orlando as the layover stop. This one is REALLY tough and geared toward the more experienced flyer.
21. If you are planning on renting a car, don't overlook flying into Tampa International Airport, Sanford, Daytona or Melbourne airports over Orlando International. If the price is right, the drive is worth it.
- October Merchandise Events and Signings at Walt Disney World - List of artist signings and appearances around the Walt Disney World Resort.
- Kids in Control - 3 ways to let the kids take charge of planning your Disney vacation - We’ve been to Walt Disney World many times as a family, so sometimes it’s neat to put those itineraries aside, switch things up and put the kids in control of our plans!
- Blog - How did you become a Disney fan?
- Kouzzina by Cat Cora closes at the Boardwalk today - A new restaurant concept will open in its place this fall.
- VIDEO: Epcot International Food & Wine Festival 2014 Overview - Join the DIS Unplugged team as they stroll around World Showcase enjoying food from the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival!
- Dates for Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights at Hollywood Studios - Approximately every 10 minutes, the lights "dance" to holiday music, while "Florida snow" falls in the background, making this the perfect Christmas setting.
- Canadian Lumberjack Show to replace Off Kilter at Epcot - They will perform year round and will begin the week of October 5.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Hollywood Boulevard - Crossroads of the World - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Hollywood Boulevard - Crossroads of the World
- Mistakes People Make on their Disney World Vacation - Knowing that DISboards.com is loaded with tons of Disney information, I've decided to start condensing popular threads by quoting the informative posts into a single page.
- Top 4 Best Continuously Loading Rides At Walt Disney World According to You - Those of you who watch The DIS Unplugged know all about the "Best Of" bracket shows. In this particular show, the DIS Unplugged team comes up with their own tournament style bracket to decide the best continuously loading rides at Walt Disney World.
- Blog - A Walking Tour of Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
- Monorail schedule to be adjusted again after September 27 - The monorail will have a different operating schedule than normal as an automation upgrade takes place.
- How to make the most of your Walt Disney World vacation - Now that your trip is booked, it's time to start the day-to-day planning so you can make the most out of your time at Walt Disney World!
- Cirque du Soleil dining package available - Purchase a ticket to the 6:00 performance of La Nouba and take advantage of this special package, which includes an entree, dessert and non-alcoholic beverage. The dinner package option is available at Wolfgang Puck Grand Cafe, Planet Hollywood and Splitsville Luxury Lanes.
- Rehab planned for Splash Mountain - The ride will be closed 1/4/2015 - 1/30/2015.
- "Disney's Behind the Magic of Our Steam Trains" tour will be closed this fall - This Magic Kingdom tour will be closed 9/29-11/7/14.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Sweet Spells - Sunset Boulevard - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Sweet Spells - Sunset Boulevard
- A Guide to Drinking Around Epcot's World Showcase at Walt Disney World - One of the most popular things to do at Epcot’s World Showcase, you know aside from all that pesky learning and culture, is what’s called Drinking Around The World.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe - Sonny Eclipse - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe - Sonny Eclipse
- Festival of the Lion King celebrates 1 millionth guest in new theater - 1 million guests have attended the show since it opened in its new theater in June.
- Blog - Epcot's International Food & Wine Festival FAQ
- Prices for Epcot International Food & Wine Festival Marketplaces - This year's Festival runs from September 19 - November 10, 2014.
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train onboard videos and photos available with Memory Maker - After riding the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, a video and photos of the guest's ride will be added to their My Disney Experience account. These photos/video are only available to guests who have purchased Memory Maker.
- Planet Hollywood's outside merchandise location has closed - This is due to construction. Merchandise is still available inside the restaurant or at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
- Blog - Handbag Round Up: Dooney & Bourke, Vera Bradley, & LeSportsac
- Top 4 Best Thrill Rides At Walt Disney World According to You - The list below is the “final four” of a series of polls tournament bracket style from the DIS Unplugged Facebook page.
- VIDEO: Drinks Around The World Epcot - Corey, Shaun and Craig finish the Drinks Around The World series with the ultimate challenge – drinking around Epcot’s World Showcase!
- Blog - Looking for something to do before your cruise? Visit the Exploration Tower at Port Canaveral
- Chase Lounge will return to the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival - This lounge offers Chase cardholders a place to relax, enjoy complimentary beverages and charging stations for their electronics.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon registration re-opened - Runners can now have the chance to sign up for the 1/2 Marathon, the full Marathon and/or the Goofy Challenge as part of the Goofy Giveback.
- A Simple Guide to Planning Your First Walt Disney World Vacation - Planning a trip to Walt Disney World and don't know where to start? I've simplified the process by suggesting some decisions that need to be made before others.
- Blog - What to Expect at Disney's D23 Destination D Event this November
- New version of My Disney Experience app is available - Users can now check meet and greet wait times and view updated park maps. The method for linking park tickets and passes has also been improved.
- Blog - Apple Pay is coming to the Walt Disney World Resort - What does it mean for the average Disney guest?
- Blog - Disney Opposes "Inflammatory" Amended Complaint in DAS Lawsuit
- Disney Cast Members - What is the one "tip" you can give us? - Don't have time to read a 89-page thread on the DISboards? We've summed up the highlights for you so you can find out cast members' best tips for guests!
- Blog - The Good and Bad of "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" on Blu-ray
- L'Artisan des Glaces in France Pavilion introduces Pumpkin Spice ice cream - Pumpkin spice ice cream and pumpkin spice macaron ice cream sandwiches are now available for the fall season.
- Food & Wine Festival's Late Nights LIVE! now only available on Thursdays - The new event at Epcot's International Food & Wine Festival was originally scheduled to be held every Tuesday and Thursday during the Festival, but will now just take place on Thursdays.
- Last day for Maelstrom will be October 5 - The new Frozen attraction is expected to open in early 2016.
- Ticket discounts available for Cirque du Soleil La Nouba - Discounted tickets must be purchased by 9/22/14.
- Blog - A Walking Tour of Disney's Polynesian Village Resort at Walt Disney World - Construction Update
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Crescent Lake Bridge - Crescent Lake - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Crescent Lake Bridge - Crescent Lake
- 5 Tips for Taking Better Photos at Walt Disney World - It’s a given fact that when you go on a Disney vacation you are going to take a ton of photos throughout your trip. Use these tips to make those photos the best they can be.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - New Fantasyland - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at New Fantasyland - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- 4 Ways to Make Magic for Other Guests at Walt Disney World - While visiting a Disney theme park, the Cast Members on the clock are tasked with doing their best to ‘make magic’ for as many Guests as possible. But, if you’re anything like my family, seeing others enjoy their time at a Disney park is sometimes just as satisfying as enjoying the parks yourselves.
- Crane now in place behind Cinderella Castle - The crane is now in place behind Cinderella Castle to install the Castle Dream Lights for the holiday season. The anticipated date for the crane removal is September 21.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Splash Mountain Bridge - Splash Mountain - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Splash Mountain Bridge - Splash Mountain
- Top 5 Hidden Gems at Disney's Animal Kingdom - Disney’s Animal Kingdom is crawling with hidden details and overlooked attractions that most people would just walk right past. But there is so much more if you are willing to take a few moments to stop and really look at your surroundings.
- Ride the Comix! closes at DisneyQuest - This attraction is now closed and will allow for an expansion of the FoodQuest seating area.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Japan Gallery - Spirited Beasts - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Japan Gallery - Spirited Beasts
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Club Cool - Fountain of Nations - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Club Cool - Fountain of Nations
- Disney Legend Tony Baxter added to D23 Destination D lineup - Baxter will present a panel featuring an in-depth tour of an expansion for Disneyland that never materialized.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Epcot Entrance - Leave A Legacy - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Epcot Entrance - Leave A Legacy
- Blog - Frustrated At Walt Disney World? "LET IT GO"
- Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue at Walt Disney World's Fort Wilderness Resort celebrates its 40th anniversary - The Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue marks its 40th anniversary after more than 37,000 dinner show performances at Disney's Fort Wilderness campground.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Capt. Cook's - Capt. Cook's Seating Area - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Capt. Cook's - Capt. Cook's Seating Area
- Night of Joy completely sold out at Magic Kingdom - This hard-ticket event features contemporary Christian artists in concert for two nights. This year's event is completely sold out.
- Harmony Barber Shop will close for a month for refurb - The Magic Kingdom shop will be closed from 2/2/15 - 3/30/15.
- Frozen Sing-Along added to FastPass+ choices at Hollywood Studios - This is a Tier 2 FastPass+ choice.
- Time change for internal boat service at Downtown Disney - The red route previously closed at 11:30pm. It will now run until 2:00am.
- VIDEO: 2014 Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party Overview - Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party is the yearly event that brings the spookiest holiday of them all to Magic Kingdom. This hard-ticket party allows guests to dress up in costumes, trick-or-treat throughout the park, and meet some characters in their costumes.
- Neil Patrick Harris, Isabella Rossellini and Blair Underwood added as Candlelight Processional narrators - There are still a few narrators left to be announced.
- VIDEO: Cruising Around Hawaii - Explore the Hawaiian islands of Maui, Hawai'i, and Kauai while sailing onboard Norwegians Cruise Line's Pride of America.
- VIDEO: Driving Around Oahu - Explore the island of Oahu by driving around to different unique locations. Ted's Bakery, Haleiwa, Matsumoto's Shave Ice, and many others make Oahu a great place to find local treasures.
- Blog - Back to School Disney Style: Great Merchandise Finds in the Parks
- Pricing structure changed for Valet Parking at Downtown Disney - Pricing is based on length of stay - time starts when you reach the valet podium and stops when you return to the podium to pick up your car.
- Blog - Top 5 Must Do's at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party
- Pangani Research Center closes for refurb - Pangani Research Center- Aviary and Hippo viewing area will be closed 9/2 - 11/14/2014.
- Blog - Villains Soiree - Wickedly Disappointing
- Blog - Dole Whips are back at the Polynesian Village Resort at the new and disappointing Pineapple Lanai
- Shortened monorail operating hours now in place - The monorail will have a different operating schedule than normal as an automation upgrade takes place.
- Blog - The Good and Bad of "Toy Story of TERROR!" on Blu-ray
- American Idol Experience is now closed at Disney's Hollywood Studios - This attraction closed August 30, 2014. No definitive plans have been announced for this space.
- VIDEO: Oogie Boogie's Freaky Funhouse Show at Villains Unleashed - Oogie Boogie's Freaky Funhouse Show at Villains Unleashed brings Vegas to Walt Disney World. Villains Unleashed took over Disney's Hollywood Studios on August 23, 2014 and part of the hard ticket event was Oogie Boogie's Freak Funhouse Show. Oogie Boogie hosts the show that features a sword-swallowing act, daredevil archery and a finale full of fire!
- Refurb closures planned for Walt Disney World water parks - Typhoon Lagoon will be closed 10/26/14-1/3/15 and Blizzard Beach will be closed 1/4/15-3/14/15.
- Top 5 Signature Dining Experiences at the Walt Disney World Resorts - 1,600 listeners and viewers of our DIS Unplugged web-cast voted on their favorite signature restaurants at the Walt Disney World resort hotels.
- Blog - The Top 5 Underutilized Spaces at Walt Disney World
- Walt Disney World donates 25,000 pairs of socks to local charities
- Haunted Mansion on list of country's top haunts
- Disney teams up with Hasbro for toy merchandising partnership
- Woman sues Disney, claiming Frozen was copied from her life story
- Disability access lawsuit against Disney transferred from California to Florida
- Frozen and Disney top the Toy Insider Hot 20 List for Christmas
- Aulani honored by Fodor's Travel
- Studio Backlot Tour at Disney's Hollywood Studios closing September 27
- New drawbridge for Sleeping Beauty Castle
- Plot details released for Avengers: Age of Ultron