Discovery Cove OrlandoThis content was gathered during Corey and Julie Martin's
"A 'Couple' Things to Do" segment on the DIS Unplugged Podcast.
- Discovery Cove General
- Dolphin Encounter
- Aviary Photos
- Coral Reef and Ray Lagoon
- Resort Pool and Tropical River
- Official Discovery Cove Website
- Listen to the November 6 , 2007 Podcast
- Discount Discovery Cove Tickets
Discovery Cove in Orlando is a once in a lifetime immersive experience into a unique tropical sanctuary. This adventure park allows you to interact with animals that would otherwise want nothing to do with you in the wild. The all inclusive experience includes a 30 minute dolphin swim, snorkeling in the Coral Reef with thousands of tropical fish, wading in the Ray Lagoon for an up-close and personal ray interaction, and hand feeding birds in the Aviary. They provide a Continental breakfast, lunch, and snacks and beverages all throughout the day. Snorkel gear (in adult and child sizes), swim vest or wetsuit, towels, lockers, beach chairs and sunscreen are also supplied. Before or after your Discovery Cove visit you have the choice of admission to either Sea World Orlando or Busch Gardens Tampa Bay for 7 consecutive days or a combination pass with admission to both theme parks for 14 consecutive days for $30.00 more.
Once we arrived and entered the Check-in Lobby we were directed to one of the many check in counters where we received our Discovery Cove photo badges with a small map attached to it. The Lobby has a beautiful mosaic floor and a very open feel, so it does not seem crowded even when there are numerous guests inside. Be sure to look up and see the Dolphin sculpture hanging from the ceiling.
Upon leaving the lobby we encountered one of the animal experts and a South American two toed sloth. We were allowed to pet the sloth along his back avoiding the head. The fur was coarse like the hair of a horse’s tail. Needless to say our adventure was already off to an amazing start. We continue along the winding path through lush tropical vegetation and giant palms. At the end of the walkway we were greeted by a tour guide who gave a short informational spiel about the park. She pointed out the First Aid station, the photo pick up, Laguna Grill, and the Blue Bridge which takes you to the Coral reef, Aviary, and Stingray lagoon. When the tour was over we headed to Laguna Grill to eat breakfast. They serve fruit, yogurt, muffins, cinnamon rolls, croissants, cheese danishes, and other pastries. The beverage selection included Pepsi products, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and bottled water.
After breakfast and before changing into our swimsuits, we chose to explore the free-flight three-room Aviary where we were able to feed, touch and interact with hundreds of different birds. This was a smart move on our part because it was still early in the morning, there were no other guests, and it was breakfast time. The aviary attendant provided us with small white ramekins filled with bird food and small pieces of fruit. She instructed us to hold the containers high in the air in order to entice the birds to land and eat. Immediately we were bombarded by several brightly colored tropical birds. We encountered a peacock, an enormous parrot, a tiny deer and a South American turkey. Each enclosure houses its own unique variety of birds. We had such a great time that we visited a second time later in the afternoon.
The next stop was the swim vest and wetsuit distribution center located directly across from the main changing area. This is also where you receive your snorkeling gear and sample of Eco-friendly sunscreen. We opted for the swim vests, but if you are sensitive to cooler water temperatures the wetsuit would be your best option. You are required to wear a swim vest or wetsuit anytime you are in the water.
Our dolphin encounter was scheduled for 11:10am and our meeting spot was the Sea Horse cabana, one of 3 meeting locations. Upon arrival at the designated cabana we were assigned to Pod B with 6 other people for a total of only 8 in our group. The Discovery Cove dolphin trainer went over several rules with us and then showed a short video about what to expect during our encounter. They ask that you remove all jewelry, with the exception of tight fitting rings. Cameras are also prohibited during the dolphin encounter. After the 10 minute orientation, we followed our Pod leader to the dolphin lagoon to meet our trainer and dolphin. Nate, our dolphin, was born at Discovery Cove and he is four years old. We were allowed to pet him along his back, feed him fish, have a one-on-one kiss, and get our picture taken with him. Honestly, I think I could have kissed him all day long; he was such a sweet dolphin. Then it was time for the dorsal fin ride. We swam out two at a time with one of the trainers and then Nate would pull us back to shore. Remember to ask plenty of questions to further enhance your dolphin experience. We headed back over to Laguna Grill for lunch once the encounter was over.
After lunch we snorkeled through the Coral Reef where we saw massive rays and Eagle rays with wing spans of 4 – 6 feet. We even got to see two of the Discovery Cove trainers feeding these gorgeous creatures. Swimming among the thousands of colorful tropical fish is truly an amazing experience. The Ray Lagoon was our next stop where we were able to interact with numerous smaller rays. We were able to feel the wings as well as the underbellies of these friendly sea creatures. The water in both of these pools is a cool 70 degrees, so the warmer water of the winding Tropical River was a welcome change.
At the end of the day we returned our swim vests and masks; we were allowed to keep the snorkel. We then took advantage of the on site showers where Crabtree & Evelyn bath products are provided. It felt great to leave the park refreshed and clean. This is a great option for people on vacation that may want to have dinner or visit Sea World after their Discovery Cove adventure.
- VIDEO: What's New at Aulani - Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa has many new offerings. Quick service at Ulu Cafe, kids splash zone at Keiki Cove, two new pools, and much more.
- MagicBands can now be purchased without ticket media - The bands are now available for purchase across property.
- Changes to boat schedules at Downtown Disney - Schedules have been changing recently due to construction.
- Meet and greet locations updated for Villains Unleashed! event - Over 50 Disney villains will be taking over the park until the 13th hour!
- Blog - The Good and Bad of the "Muppets Most Wanted" Blu-ray
- Ultimate Day VIP Tour available at Epcot Food & Wine Festival - This daylong tour begins at the Festival Center's VIP Lounge and includes champagne, a beverage tasting, six-course tapas-style lunch, wine, private backstage tours, time on Epcot attractions, food and beverage pairings with Disney chefs, VIP seating at the Eat to the Beat Concert Series, and reserved seating for IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth fireworks spectacular.
- Awesome Mix Tape Dance Party scheduled for Villains Unleashed! event - Over 50 Disney villains will be taking over the park until the 13th hour!
- Blog - New Golden Oak Outpost Menu is Waffle Fry Heaven
- Sunrise Safari at Animal Kingdom ending 12/28/14 - This tour is exclusive to Animal Kingdom Lodge Kilimanjaro Club Level guests.
- American Idol Experience to close August 30 - No plans have been announced for the space.
- Florida residents save $40 on Cirque du Soleil tickets - Through September and October, Florida residents will save $40 on adult Cirque du Soleil tickets purchased at the box office.
- VIDEO: The Refurbished Capt. Cook's at Polynesian Resort - After a long refurbishment, Capt. Cook's has reopened at the Polynesian Village Resort. Major changes include artwork in the seating area, a new menu, no more ordering off of touch screens and the tragic loss of the Dole Whip self-serve machine.
- American Film Institute at the end of Backlot Tour to close - As of August 17, the American Film Institute Showcase exhibit at the end of the ride will be closed. This exhibit features props and costumes from various films. The gift shop will also close.
- D23 Expo 2015 tickets are now on sale - Tickets for next year's D23 Expo are now on sale. The D23 Expo will be held August 14-16, 2015 at the Anaheim Convention Center.
- Constantine the Frog to attend Villains Unleashed! event - The "Muppets Most Wanted" villain will be at the Stage One Company Store location near Muppet*Vision 3D.
- Blog - Polynesian Resort's Capt. Cook's quick service restaurant reopens after refurbishment
- Golden Oak Outpost now serving specialty waffle fries - This walk-up stand is located on the backside of Frontierland on the walkway to Adventureland.
- Tower of Terror On-ride videos available with Memory Maker - After riding The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, a video of the guest's ride will be added to their My Disney Experience account. This video is only available to guests who have purchased Memory Maker.
- Win a 2 Night / 3 Day stay at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin! - Answer 3 questions about the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin on our contest page for a chance to WIN!
- Great Irish Hooley Festival to be held at Downtown Disney - "Hooley" is Irish slang for party or celebration. Celebrate with food, drink and dancing.
- Update coming to My Disney Experience - make dining reservations 20 minutes in advance - A new update will allow guests to make same day dining reservations only 20 minutes in advance.
- Performance times updated for Night of Joy - Disney’s Night of Joy is a hard-ticket event at the Magic Kingdom that features contemporary Christian performers.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Polynesian Resort Lobby - Lobby Waterfall - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at the Polynesian Resort.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Continues to Materialize
- Refurb scheduled this winter for the Haunted Mansion - The attraction will be closed from 12/1 - 12/19/14.
- Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It Street Party reduces number of performances this month - Performance times will be 5:40 and 7:00pm on August 12, 13, 19, 20 and 29, 2014. Concrete work taking place on Main Street will limit the number of performances on those days.
- It's Tough to be a Bug refurb extended until 9/27 - This attraction was originally scheduled to reopen August 11, but will instead stay closed through September 27.
- Yankee Trader shop refurb extended through December - The shop is becoming a Haunted Mansion gift shop.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Adventureland - Swiss Family Treehouse Exit - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at the Magic Kingdom.
- Big Hero 6 characters coming to Walt Disney World - A specific date and location for the meet and greet has not yet been announced.
- Frozen Summer Fun extended at Disney's Hollywood Studios - This celebration has been extended through September 28.
- Top 5 Experiences at Walt Disney World That Don't Cost a Thing! - Walt Disney World can be a very expensive place — between park tickets, hotels, parking costs, meals and snacks, it all adds up very quickly. That’s why it’s important to remember that there are several fantastic experiences at Walt Disney World Resort that don’t cost a thing!
- Club Villain dance party planned for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - This will take place at the Diamond Horseshoe Saloon in Frontierland.
- Blog - New Disney Parks Inspired Coffees from Joffrey's
- Updated list of restaurants that accept Tables in Wonderland - Tables in Wonderland members save 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Video: Disney Park Bench - Polynesian Resort Dock - Polynesian Resort - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Polynesian Resort Dock - Polynesian Resort
- Epcot After Hours Wind Down extended through November 9 - Stick around after IllumiNations for an evening at one of 4 exclusive lounges featuring food and beverages from award-winning Epcot chefs and sommeliers.
- Blog - Review: "Guardians of the Galaxy" combines humor, action, and a stellar cast to become the perfect summer blockbuster
- All-Star Music food court closes for refurbishment - The Intermission Food Court will be closed 8/1/14-12/20/14 for refurb.
- New events added to Epcot International Food & Wine Festival - Late Nights LIVE! and new Premium Package events added.
- Astro Orbiter rehab extended by one week - Originally scheduled to end September 19, the ride will now reopen September 28.
- Food & Wine Festival Premium events now available for booking - This includes seminars, signature dining experiences and other special events.
- Changes coming to Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It Street Party? - An update is rumored for this parade later this year, possibly around October. Possible changes are new music; Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Donald moving to the top of the floats; and Stitch joining the fun. Sebastian, Lumiere, and The Mad Hatter will leave the parade.
- During pool rehab, Polynesian guests will have free admission to Blizzard Beach - Originally, the resort guests were just going to be given one-day tickets to the water park, but that has been changed. They will now have complimentary unlimited admission to Blizzard Beach during their stay at the Polynesian.
- List of restaurants participating in the 2015 Disney Dining Plan - This list will be updated as more restaurants are added. Epcot and Downtown Disney restaurants don't normally finalize their participation until later in the year.
- 2015 Magic Your Way Disney World packages released! - A Walt Disney World package is a resort room and theme park admission. The Disney Dining Plan may also be added.
- Happy 15th Birthday to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith! - The attraction originally opened its doors at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 29, 1999.
- Victoria & Albert's will no longer accept Tables in Wonderland - This begins August 1, 2014.
- Summertime Pals Ink & Paint Cel release - This limited release will be available at the event, or pre-order by September 25 at 5:00pm EST.
- Haunted Mansion merchandise shop coming to Magic Kingdom - The former Yankee Trader shop will become a Haunted Mansion merchandise location in the near future. The decor will be inspired by Madame Leota and will carry items from the Haunted Mansion Authentic program, such as apparel, home goods, souvenirs and more.
- Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings for August - List of authors and artists coming to the theme parks for signings and merchandise releases.
- List of characters updated for Villains Unleashed! event - Over 50 Disney villains will be taking over the park until the 13th hour!
- Beginning today, PhotoPass print packages are no longer offered table-side at character meals - This includes Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Tusker House Restaurant.
- Disney Visa cardholders can book Food & Wine Festival events early - Disney Visa cardholders can book special events two days earlier than the general public - on July 29 and July 30 from 7:00am-11:00pm EST.
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Disney cancels 2014 Festival of the Masters art show
- Radio Disney to shut down stations and lay off employees
- Disney proposes new contract for part-time employees
- SeaWorld announces new habitats for killer whales
- "Frozen" behind-the-scenes special coming to ABC
- PANDORA Jewelry coming to Disney Parks
- Universal Orlando to build fifth hotel?
- Comedian and actor Robin Williams found dead at age 63
- Universal's Hogwarts Express sees one million riders
- Disney janitor arrested for sexually assaulting coworker
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 11:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 9:30
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 7:00
9:00 - 7:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Animal Kingdom