WARNING SIGNS IN THE DISNEY VACATION CLUB RESALE MARKETPLACE!
by Tom Yeary
The Timeshare Store
Handling the Disney Vacation Club Resales requires a great deal of knowledge and expertise as they are unlike any other on the market. It is imperative that you use a broker who specializes in this area to achieve the outcome you desire and avoid some of the unpleasant pitfalls by inexperienced brokers.
Warning signs for BUYERS:
1. A small amount of listings in their inventory (Indicates NO track record)
2. Talking with agent leaves you unsure they know the product. Ask questions about banking, borrowing, points in holding, etc.
3. Unreturned or late response to your inquiry (Where will they be when you need help with the ROFR, Closing Process & getting into the DVC system? A knowledge of the right people to contact in case of a situation is
4. Mistakes on postings on their website. Example: OKW, 2 bedroom Wk 6 (DVCs are in points, not weeks and certain size units.)
5. The company tells you that you can purchase BWV for $65 a point and clearing the ROFR will be no problem. (They will get their commission when Disney exercises their ³Right Of First Refusal² so they really don't care if you are a new owner or not. In fact, they prefer it, because it's less work for them and they don't have any worries about the closing process or anything else.)
6. Do they have an office? (Many don't, ask for directions, or look up their address, if it's a residential area or a P.O. Box????)
Warning signs for SELLERS:
1. The company asks for an upfront listing, advertising, appraisal, website development, or auction fee. (There is no end to the names they come up with to describe an upfront fee. This is one of the biggest ripoffs out there.
These people will take your money and in most cases you will never hear from them again.)
2. The company insists that you sign an "exclusive" listing agreement with a term of several months or even a year (usually 6 months or more), which of course means you are stuck for the duration of the agreement, even if you find your own buyer. If another company or you find a buyer for your package, you also owe the exclusive broker a commission.
3. The company charges you a cancellation fee if you withdraw your listing before the end of the listing term. (Example: Things happen, if you were selling for financial reasons and suddenly came into some money, you would still be forced to sell or pay the cancellation fee which can sometimes be hundreds of dollars.)
4. They tell you they can get you $150 per point. (That's an exaggeration, but it happens. They will start hitting you up to reduce your price as soon as the listing contract has been signed. They will say the market has changed. Just remember, if it sounds too good to be true, you know the
5. Is their office easily accessible to the public? You should be able to walk in during regular business hours and be assured they can and will handle your business transaction. Does the broker work out of their home?
Do you really think a purchaser is going to drive to their subdivision, knock on their door, and sit down at their kitchen table to write up a contract? How many DVC buyers have actually done this? The internet has enabled many people to disguise the true circumstances of their situation.
They have a pretty website, so the public thinks the are dealing with a really big operation.
6. Do they have a person answering the phone or is it primarily an answering machine. People are continually frustrated in this day and age just dealing with the obstacles of trying to speak to a real person. This does NOT put them in the buying mood. Most often they will keep calling around until they reach someone who can discuss their situation.
7. The company advertises NO Closing Costs. They are either calling the closing costs by another name or not giving the buyer & seller the legal protection needed to pass on a free & clear title. Read the fine print in the listing agreement and closing paperwork. Remember, ³there is NO free lunch².
The latest trend in the Resale business is for brokers to align themselves with a national franchise in order to legitimize their operation, thereby creating a false sense of security to the general public. Examples: ERA, Century 21, GMAC, RE/MAX, etc. Some Resale brokers go from one franchise to another after the number of complaints build up, they simply purchase a new franchise and it's business as usual. Most legitimate and ethical businesses should be able to use and operate under the same name for many, many years.
In fact, if their reputation was one they could take pride in, they would insist upon it!
The above statements are certainly not meant to be construed to include "every" agency that is backed by a franchise. There are definitely some reputable Resale offices with ties to franchises. My warning is, it's NOT always the case. Protect yourself, look for the same warning signs with these companies as you would with any other Resale company!
- Blog - The Good and Bad of “Toy Story of TERROR!” on Blu-ray
- American Idol Experience is now closed at Disney's Hollywood Studios - This attraction closed August 30, 2014. No definitive plans have been announced for this space.
- VIDEO: Oogie Boogie's Freaky Funhouse Show at Villains Unleashed - Oogie Boogie's Freaky Funhouse Show at Villains Unleashed brings Vegas to Walt Disney World. Villains Unleashed took over Disney's Hollywood Studios on August 23, 2014 and part of the hard ticket event was Oogie Boogie's Freak Funhouse Show. Oogie Boogie hosts the show that features a sword-swallowing act, daredevil archery and a finale full of fire!
- Refurb closures planned for Walt Disney World water parks - Typhoon Lagoon will be closed 10/26/14-1/3/15 and Blizzard Beach will be closed 1/4/15-3/14/15.
- Top 5 Signature Dining Experiences at the Walt Disney World Resorts - 1,600 listeners and viewers of our DIS Unplugged web-cast voted on their favorite signature restaurants at the Walt Disney World resort hotels.
- Blog - The Top 5 Underutilized Spaces at Walt Disney World
- Starbucks will open at Hollywood Studios in February 2015 - The Trolley Car Cafe will be located along Hollywood Boulevard and be themed like a trolley car station. Disney baked goods and Starbucks La Boulange pastry items will be available. An exact location hasn't been announced.
- VIDEO - Frozen Fireworks Multi-Angle Full Show - “Frozen” Fireworks Spectacular – Everything wraps up at 9:45 p.m. when Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, and Olaf come together at the Sorcerer’s Hat Icon Stage for a grand finale to the day’s festivities, kicking off an awe-inspiring fireworks display set to the glorious music of “Frozen!”
- VIDEO: Star-Lord & Gamora from 'Guardians of the Galaxy' at Villains Unleashed - Peter Quill, aka Star-Lord, and Gamora made their first appearance ever at the Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix Tape Vol. 1 Dance Party during the Villains Unleashed event at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
- Mikala Canoe Club Marina at Polynesian to be closed for refurb - The marina will be closed 9/15 - 9/19/2014. Sail boat/motorized boats and fishing excursions will not be available.
- Entrance 4 to Downtown Disney's parking lot now closed - Entrance 4 (between Cirque du Soleil and DisneyQuest) is now closed permanently. The only entrances are Entrance 2 (across from the Hess Station) and Entrance 5 (across from Typhoon Lagoon).
- VIDEO: Villains Unleashed Opening Ceremony - Villains Unleashed kicked off at Disney's Hollywood Studios with an opening ceremony hosted by Hades, Pain, Panic and Megara from Hercules. Once the stars of the night took the stage they introduced some of the 50 Disney Villains guests could meet at the special hard ticket event.
- VIDEO: Villains Unleashed Event Overview - Over 50 Disney villains took over Disney's Hollywood Studios for the Villains Unleashed Event.
- Times updated for events at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - The Party is a specially ticketed event at the Magic Kingdom that begins September 1.
- Villains' Sinister Soiree add-on available for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - This special add-on will give guests preferred viewing for Mickey's Boo to You Halloween Parade (8:15pm) and the Happy HalloWishes fireworks show. Lady Tremaine will host a dessert soiree at Cinderella's Royal Table Restaurant for you and some of her friends.
- 5 Elements from the Disney Parks that You'll Find on a Disney Cruise Ship - You have been to the Disney Parks, and you love them. You keep going back for that pixie-dust rush. You can’t imagine a vacation apart from Disney Parks, yet somehow the “old and familiar” is getting a bit old and familiar. This is where the Disney Cruise Line enters. It’s a Disney vacation of a different variety. The dissimilarities are a bit obvious. You’re on a ship in the ocean, visiting foreign places. This is nothing like being landlocked in a park, surrounded by coasters and kiosks. So what can you expect from the Disney Parks to carry over to your cruise?
- Blog - "Villains Unleashed" needs leashing up - Disney's overcrowded hard ticket event leaves guests in long lines most of the night
- Mickey's PhilharMagic refurb extended - The end date has been moved from September 19 to the 28th. The attraction will go down September 8.
- Enchanted Tiki Room going down for refurb in late September - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed from 9/27 - 10/3/2014.
- Two Epcot New Year's Eve dining events released - More New Year's Eve events are yet to be released.
- Blog - Beyond Aulani
- Updated operating schedule for monorails - The monorail will have a different operating schedule than normal as an automation upgrade takes place.
- Charging stations for electric vehicles added to Epcot parking lot - Disney has added four Level 2 ChargePoint charging stations to the Journey parking lot at Epcot. Electric vehicles will be charged $.35 per kw/h, with a minimum charge of $1.50.
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party tickets sold out on 10/31/14 - Tickets are still available for all other dates.
- New Move it! Shake it! Dance and Play it! Street Party to debut at Magic Kingdom this fall - Stitch and Phineas & Ferb will join the party and Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Goofy will ride on top of giant gift boxes. The soundtrack will feature remixed classic party songs and guests will vote for one of three current hits to be played.
- VIDEO: What's New at Aulani - Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa has many new offerings. Quick service at Ulu Cafe, kids splash zone at Keiki Cove, two new pools, and much more.
- MagicBands can now be purchased without ticket media - The bands are now available for purchase across property.
- Changes to boat schedules at Downtown Disney - Schedules have been changing recently due to construction.
- Blog - The Good and Bad of the "Muppets Most Wanted" Blu-ray
- Ultimate Day VIP Tour available at Epcot Food & Wine Festival - This daylong tour begins at the Festival Center's VIP Lounge and includes champagne, a beverage tasting, six-course tapas-style lunch, wine, private backstage tours, time on Epcot attractions, food and beverage pairings with Disney chefs, VIP seating at the Eat to the Beat Concert Series, and reserved seating for IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth fireworks spectacular.
- Blog - New Golden Oak Outpost Menu is Waffle Fry Heaven
- Sunrise Safari at Animal Kingdom ending 12/28/14 - This tour is exclusive to Animal Kingdom Lodge Kilimanjaro Club Level guests.
- American Idol Experience to close August 30 - No plans have been announced for the space.
- Florida residents save $40 on Cirque du Soleil tickets - Through September and October, Florida residents will save $40 on adult Cirque du Soleil tickets purchased at the box office.
- VIDEO: The Refurbished Capt. Cook's at Polynesian Resort - After a long refurbishment, Capt. Cook's has reopened at the Polynesian Village Resort. Major changes include artwork in the seating area, a new menu, no more ordering off of touch screens and the tragic loss of the Dole Whip self-serve machine.
- American Film Institute at the end of Backlot Tour to close - As of August 17, the American Film Institute Showcase exhibit at the end of the ride will be closed. This exhibit features props and costumes from various films. The gift shop will also close.
- D23 Expo 2015 tickets are now on sale - Tickets for next year's D23 Expo are now on sale. The D23 Expo will be held August 14-16, 2015 at the Anaheim Convention Center.
- Blog - Polynesian Resort's Capt. Cook's quick service restaurant reopens after refurbishment
- Golden Oak Outpost now serving specialty waffle fries - This walk-up stand is located on the backside of Frontierland on the walkway to Adventureland.
- Tower of Terror On-ride videos available with Memory Maker - After riding The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, a video of the guest's ride will be added to their My Disney Experience account. This video is only available to guests who have purchased Memory Maker.
- Win a 2 Night / 3 Day stay at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin! - Answer 3 questions about the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin on our contest page for a chance to WIN!
- Great Irish Hooley Festival to be held at Downtown Disney - "Hooley" is Irish slang for party or celebration. Celebrate with food, drink and dancing.
- Update coming to My Disney Experience - make dining reservations 20 minutes in advance - A new update will allow guests to make same day dining reservations only 20 minutes in advance.
- Performance times updated for Night of Joy - Disney’s Night of Joy is a hard-ticket event at the Magic Kingdom that features contemporary Christian performers.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Polynesian Resort Lobby - Lobby Waterfall - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at the Polynesian Resort.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Continues to Materialize
- Refurb scheduled this winter for the Haunted Mansion - The attraction will be closed from 12/1 - 12/19/14.
- It's Tough to be a Bug refurb extended until 9/27 - This attraction was originally scheduled to reopen August 11, but will instead stay closed through September 27.
- Yankee Trader shop refurb extended through December - The shop is becoming a Haunted Mansion gift shop.