WARNING SIGNS IN THE DISNEY VACATION CLUB RESALE MARKETPLACE!
by Tom Yeary
The Timeshare Store
Handling the Disney Vacation Club Resales requires a great deal of knowledge and expertise as they are unlike any other on the market. It is imperative that you use a broker who specializes in this area to achieve the outcome you desire and avoid some of the unpleasant pitfalls by inexperienced brokers.
Warning signs for BUYERS:
1. A small amount of listings in their inventory (Indicates NO track record)
2. Talking with agent leaves you unsure they know the product. Ask questions about banking, borrowing, points in holding, etc.
3. Unreturned or late response to your inquiry (Where will they be when you need help with the ROFR, Closing Process & getting into the DVC system? A knowledge of the right people to contact in case of a situation is
4. Mistakes on postings on their website. Example: OKW, 2 bedroom Wk 6 (DVCs are in points, not weeks and certain size units.)
5. The company tells you that you can purchase BWV for $65 a point and clearing the ROFR will be no problem. (They will get their commission when Disney exercises their ³Right Of First Refusal² so they really don't care if you are a new owner or not. In fact, they prefer it, because it's less work for them and they don't have any worries about the closing process or anything else.)
6. Do they have an office? (Many don't, ask for directions, or look up their address, if it's a residential area or a P.O. Box????)
Warning signs for SELLERS:
1. The company asks for an upfront listing, advertising, appraisal, website development, or auction fee. (There is no end to the names they come up with to describe an upfront fee. This is one of the biggest ripoffs out there.
These people will take your money and in most cases you will never hear from them again.)
2. The company insists that you sign an "exclusive" listing agreement with a term of several months or even a year (usually 6 months or more), which of course means you are stuck for the duration of the agreement, even if you find your own buyer. If another company or you find a buyer for your package, you also owe the exclusive broker a commission.
3. The company charges you a cancellation fee if you withdraw your listing before the end of the listing term. (Example: Things happen, if you were selling for financial reasons and suddenly came into some money, you would still be forced to sell or pay the cancellation fee which can sometimes be hundreds of dollars.)
4. They tell you they can get you $150 per point. (That's an exaggeration, but it happens. They will start hitting you up to reduce your price as soon as the listing contract has been signed. They will say the market has changed. Just remember, if it sounds too good to be true, you know the
5. Is their office easily accessible to the public? You should be able to walk in during regular business hours and be assured they can and will handle your business transaction. Does the broker work out of their home?
Do you really think a purchaser is going to drive to their subdivision, knock on their door, and sit down at their kitchen table to write up a contract? How many DVC buyers have actually done this? The internet has enabled many people to disguise the true circumstances of their situation.
They have a pretty website, so the public thinks the are dealing with a really big operation.
6. Do they have a person answering the phone or is it primarily an answering machine. People are continually frustrated in this day and age just dealing with the obstacles of trying to speak to a real person. This does NOT put them in the buying mood. Most often they will keep calling around until they reach someone who can discuss their situation.
7. The company advertises NO Closing Costs. They are either calling the closing costs by another name or not giving the buyer & seller the legal protection needed to pass on a free & clear title. Read the fine print in the listing agreement and closing paperwork. Remember, ³there is NO free lunch².
The latest trend in the Resale business is for brokers to align themselves with a national franchise in order to legitimize their operation, thereby creating a false sense of security to the general public. Examples: ERA, Century 21, GMAC, RE/MAX, etc. Some Resale brokers go from one franchise to another after the number of complaints build up, they simply purchase a new franchise and it's business as usual. Most legitimate and ethical businesses should be able to use and operate under the same name for many, many years.
In fact, if their reputation was one they could take pride in, they would insist upon it!
The above statements are certainly not meant to be construed to include "every" agency that is backed by a franchise. There are definitely some reputable Resale offices with ties to franchises. My warning is, it's NOT always the case. Protect yourself, look for the same warning signs with these companies as you would with any other Resale company!
- During pool rehab, Polynesian guests will have free admission to Blizzard Beach - Originally, the resort guests were just going to be given one-day tickets to the water park, but that has been changed. They will now have complimentary unlimited admission to Blizzard Beach during their stay at the Polynesian.
- List of restaurants participating in the 2015 Disney Dining Plan - This list will be updated as more restaurants are added. Epcot and Downtown Disney restaurants don't normally finalize their participation until later in the year.
- 2015 Magic Your Way Disney World packages released! - A Walt Disney World package is a resort room and theme park admission. The Disney Dining Plan may also be added.
- Happy 15th Birthday to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith! - The attraction originally opened its doors at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 29, 1999.
- Victoria & Albert's will no longer accept Tables in Wonderland - This begins August 1, 2014.
- Summertime Pals Ink & Paint Cel release - This limited release will be available at the event, or pre-order by September 25 at 5:00pm EST.
- Haunted Mansion merchandise shop coming to Magic Kingdom - The former Yankee Trader shop will become a Haunted Mansion merchandise location in the near future. The decor will be inspired by Madame Leota and will carry items from the Haunted Mansion Authentic program, such as apparel, home goods, souvenirs and more.
- Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings for August - List of authors and artists coming to the theme parks for signings and merchandise releases.
- List of characters updated for Villains Unleashed! event - Over 50 Disney villains will be taking over the park until the 13th hour!
- Beginning today, PhotoPass print packages are no longer offered table-side at character meals - This includes Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Tusker House Restaurant.
- Disney Visa cardholders can book Food & Wine Festival events early - Disney Visa cardholders can book special events two days earlier than the general public - on July 29 and July 30 from 7:00am-11:00pm EST.
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit