Los Angeles - Disneyland Add on
Disney's Southern California Magic Package gives you the flexibility to combine your stay in Disneyland with a stay in Hollywood at the beautiful Renaissance Hollywood Hotel or the Best Western Sunset Plaza Hotel. Get a no obligation Disneyland Package Quote.
Los Angeles Overview
by Regina Hinrichs
Break out the sunglasses dah-ling, you’re going to Hollywood. Armed and ready with my clip-on shades, I knew I’d be discovered, but until then, I wanted to discover what makes this city so special.
We checked into the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel and set out to see the sights. No car needed since we were right around the corner from four major tinseltown attractions: the Walk of Fame, the Kodak Theater, the El Capitan Theater and Grauman’s Chinese Theater.
One thing you do in Hollywood is look down. You’re either reading the names on the stars in the sidewalks, or looking at the handprints embedded in cement at Grauman’s. This Hollywood institution is a lot of fun, especially if you’re an old movie buff like myself. It has quite a mix of celebrities. Fred Astaire’s prints are next to Ginger Rogers with Bruce Willis immortalized close by. I’ll bet you didn’t know this is the one spot where Donald outdid Mickey. Donald and his “voice” Clarence Nash have their prints here, but not the Mouse. I know, shocking considering the Duck would be doing AFLAC commercials if it wasn’t for Mickey, but I digress.
Grauman’s is also where you’ll find a booth for Starline Tours. We did take a tour, and sorry to say, I was not impressed. It was at night and billed as a “Haunted tour of Hollywood.” We thought that we had hired the car for the exclusive use of our group, but they crammed the six of us in the back with some weird seats that flipped up, and sat two strangers up front with the driver. The car was a “classic” which meant nothing worked including the windshield wipers when it started to drizzle. Our driver was very gracious and made frequent stops when we requested them, but the tour itself was disappointing. These tours aren’t cheap. If you do decide to take one, I’d recommend a daytime tour and taking one of the larger vehicles.
A new landmark is the Kodak Theater where the red carpet is rolled out each year for the Academy Awards. Larger than life is an understatement. The elephant icon/archway is five stories high. You can schedule a tour (note: these are suspended during the Awards) or attend a show during your visit. I’d like to imagine that I was sitting where Harrison Ford once sat, but most likely my seat was occupied by Steve Buscemi.
Right across the street is the El Capitan Theater. This beautiful venue from the 1920’s was restored by the Walt Disney Company and is now a National Historic Site. At any given time you might be able to see a first run Disney flick or a stage show. Next door to the El Capitan is the Disney Soda Fountain and Studio Store. A very cute spot to have a snack and get a Mickey souvenir. Have your camera ready as you enter since this is where the Disneyland 50th Anniversary Walk of Fame Star is located.
What I thought was the best feature is that Grauman’s and the Kodak Theater are all part of the Hollywood & Highland Center which is directly connected to the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel . I stepped out the door and there were the theaters and stores, lots of them, right there. The heck with being discovered, I’m going to use my Discover and buy a few things.
If you have the kids with you, you can Build-A-Bear, stock up on Hello Kitty at the Sanrio store and bring a smile to your teen at the Virgin Megastore. There are clothing stores, shoe shops, jewelry stores where you can get the appropriate bauble to flaunt, and then there’s my personal favorite, Sephora.
Are you getting hungry? I sure was, and the Hollywood & Highland Center is the ideal spot to be in. We had a quick lunch at Johnny Rockets. For dinner, some in our group dined at California Pizza Kitchen. I and my travel buddy craved sushi and had the freshest tuna ever at Koji’s Sushi and Shabu Shabu Restaurant. Loggia at the Highlands and Vent-A Brasserie are two restaurants owned and operated by legendary chef Wolfgang Puck. There are other dining venues from elegant to casual that will satisfy whatever it is you’re in the mood for.
Much as my party animal days are behind me, The Highlands nightclub is at this complex. The Mann Chinese 6 Theater is adjacent to Grauman’s and plays first run movies. For something different, there’s the Lucky Strike Lanes.
After enjoying Hollywood at our doorstep, it was time to venture out and see some of the other sites that LA is known for. Some hopped on the subway and went to Universal Studios. First, I was clueless that there was a subway system and second, who knew that there’d be such an easy alternative to driving? The first stop was Universal which has a shuttle running every 15 minutes to the entrance. It doesn’t get any simpler than that.
There’s another popular theme park that you might want to visit. 6 Flags Magic Mountain is in LA. (You’ll want to check their calendar since they do cut back their hours when school is in session.) And please don’t tell anyone, but the Looney Tunes characters are here. Shh, don’t want the Mouse to know I mentioned Bugs.
I was with the group that went to Beverly Hills and Rodeo Drive. Be sure you pronounce it Ro-DAY-oh, not Ro-DEE-oh. The latter identifies you as a tourist, same as wearing a Hawaiian shirt with plaid shorts.
Rodeo Drive is known for high end boutiques and shops frequented by the rich and famous. Prada, Gucci, Escada, Armani and a bunch of other stores ending in vowels, none of which I can afford, but fun to window shop if you’re a size two. If you left your lottery winnings at home, fear not, there are stores that you can venture into. There’s a parallel universe one block over on Beverly Drive where Crate & Barrel, Williams Sonoma, The Gap and Banana Republic are found.
After saying hello and having a picture taken with the Ambassador of Beverly Hills who greets visitors Tuesday thru Saturday at Two Rodeo, we took a quick peek at the luxurious Beverly Wilshire Hotel and headed to the Farmer’s Market.
I knew it was a mistake mentioning to my traveling companions that I last visited the Farmer’s Market 38 years ago. Let me settle this now, I didn’t arrive in a horse & buggy and my shopping list was not engraved in a stone tablet. Back then, I remember wonderful vegetable and fruit stands. While much of the same atmosphere has been preserved, the Farmer’s Market has expanded into a fantastic place to have lunch, buy great snacks and shop. I would kill to have a place like this back home.
Sadly, it was time to leave. I’m sure we only scratched the surface with our LA visit. There are the museums, clubs, sports venues, beach, zoos, golf, restaurants and shops that we never had a chance to experience. Until I’m ready for my next “close up” I’ll be content with the wonderful memories I have of this star studded city.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Tomorrowland - Matterhorn - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Disneyland.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Critter Country - Splash Mountain Bridge - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Disneyland.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Cozy Cone Motel - Flo's V8 Cafe - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Disneyland.
- Independence Week details at the Disneyland Resort - Disney’s Celebrate America! will be featured July 1st through July 7th at Disneyland Park, plus there's a patriotic Independence Day pre-show for World of Color over at Disney California Adventure! Also, special treats will be offered in the shops and restaurants of Main Street USA.
- Roger Rabbit screening and panel for Disneyland Passholders - Limited Time Magic-Disneyland Annual Passholders can celebrate the 25th anniversary of Disney's Who Framed Roger Rabbit with a screening and special panel discussion on June 18th begin at 7pm at the AMC 12 Theaters in Downtown Disney. Subject to availability.
- Unofficial Star Wars Fan Day at the Disneyland Resort - On June 30th, Star Wars fans will be meeting for lunch at Pizza Port, attending Jedi Training Academy, then meeting at 2pm for a group photo. Costumes are not allowed, but Star Wars shirts are encouraged.
- Broadway and Beyond concert added to the D23 Expo lineup - "Broadway and Beyond" will feature stars from Broadway's The Little Mermaid, Mary Poppins, Beauty and the Beast, Tarzan, Aida and The Lion King performing songs from the Disney on Broadway catalogue.
- Free Tiki Room 50th Souvenir for Disneyland Passholders - Limited Time Magic - Annual Passholders can receive a special recreation of the 1963 Enchanted Tiki Room brochure by visiting the Tiki Room June 23 through June 27. While supplies last.
- Celebrate Father's Day at California Adventure with The Incredibles - Limited Time Magic - Meet super dad Mr. Incredible and his best friend Frozone at a special photo opportunity on Paradise Pier from June 10th to June 16th.
- Blog - Expo Dream Store & Silent Auction Return to Disney’s D23 Expo
- Annual Passholders receive a gift pack when booking Adventures by Disney - When Walt Disney World and Disneyland Annual Passholders book a 2014 Adventures by Disney vacation by 8/23/13, they will receive a special ABD gift pack!
- Disneyland Ticket Pricing Updated - Effective 06/03/13, ticket prices at Disneyland have increased anywhere from 2% on a 5-day 1-park ticket to 10% on a 1-day park hopper. Annual Pass pricing has also increased.
- Blog - Disneyland 101 - Disneyland After Dark
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Aulani - Aulani Lagoon Path - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Aulani.
- Limited Time Magic: Mickey's Compass Quest at Disneyland - Following each showing of Mickey and the Magical Map (June 3-9), grab a map and follow a series of show-inspired clues around Disneyland Park. Uncover hidden markers, complete each challenge and take home a special reward.
- Knott's Berry Farm opens three new attractions - Knott's Berry Farm added three new attractions to it's Boardwalk area, including a new family roller coaster.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Aulani - Lobby - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Aulani.
- Blog - Monsters University Merchandise Scares Up Fun at Disney Parks
- D23 Expo adds Richard Sherman and Alan Menken concert - Composers Richard Sherman and Alan Menken will perform "The Disney Songbook" Saturday, August 10th at the D23 Expo in Anaheim.
- WonderGround Gallery's Artist in Residence for June is Jackie Huang - Disneyland Resort's WonderGround Gallery has announced its Artist in Residence for June is Jackie Huang. Jackie will be on hand June 7-8, 14-15 and 21-22 from 5pm to 9pm.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Aulani - Aulani Beach Sunset - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Aulani.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Aulani - Aulani Lagoon Walking Path - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Aulani.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Aulani - Aulani Beach - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Aulani.
- Blog - A Monstrous 24-Hour "All-Nighter" at Magic Kingdom
- Disneyland Passholder "Mickey and the Magical Map" Events - Annual Passholders can experience "Mickey and the Magical Map", along with a special behind-the-scenes presentation by some of the creative team, at 5:40pm each night on May 28 and June 4 & 11. Seating is limited.
- Mickey and the Magical Map now open at Disneyland Park - A new stage show, Mickey and the Magical Map, is now at the Fantasyland Theatre in Disneyland Park.
- VIDEO: DIS Unplugged - Live From Aulani - 05/21/13 - Follow along with us as we go beyond the parks!
- VIDEO: Mickey and the Magical Map - Video of the brand-new show, "Mickey and the Magical Map" at Disneyland.
- VIDEO: Disney Beyond The Parks - Producing the Aulani Live Show - Visit http://www.wdwinfo.com/beyondtheparks/#hawaii to view the full DIS Unplugged show from Aulani in Hawaii. For the latest updates on our trip to Aulani and Hawaii, visit http://new.livestream.com/TheDIS/aulani Join the DIS Team as we explore Disney beyond the parks, starting with Aulani, a Disney Resort and Spa in Hawaii!
- Southern California CityPass price increase June 3rd - Beginning June 3rd, the price for the Southern California CityPass will increase. Adults will be $319, children will be $279. Attractions will remain the same. Passes purchased prior to June 3rd are valid through January 4th.
- Follow along as the DIS goes... Beyond The Parks!! - Members of the DIS Unplugged podcast team are headed to Disney's Aulani Resort, sailing on an Alaskan Disney cruise and taking an Adventures by Disney Backstage Magic trip!
- Blog - Help! A Walt Disney World Vet’s First Time at Disneyland – Part 5
- HalloweenTime at Disneyland begins September 13! - HalloweenTime at the Disneyland Resort, including Haunted Mansion Holiday and Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy, begins September 13, 2013. Mickey's Halloween Party begins September 30, 2013.
- Swing dancing returns to Disneyland Park beginning June 15th - Swing Dancing returns to the former Carnation Plaza Gardens (now Fantasy Faire) stage on a limited basis beginning June 15th!
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Disneyland - Rivers of America - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Disneyland.
- 2014 dates chosen for DIS-exclusive Backstage Magic trips - Three dates have been selected for 2014 Adventures by Disney Backstage Magic trips with members of the DIS Unplugged podcast team!
- Rumor: Star Wars Land coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios?
Rumors say both Star Wars Land and Cars Land will be in Disney's Hollywood Studios by 2018.
- 23 percent increase in 2012 attendance at Disney's California Adventure
Due to the popularity of Cars Land, Disney's California Adventure has seen a huge increase in attendance numbers.
- Disney to Begin a Review of Guest Assistance Card Abuse
Disney has initiated a review of Guest Assistance Card abuse after a reporter's undercover investigation into the disabled tour guide practice.
- Disney's "The Lone Ranger" to premiere at California Adventure
Disney announced that the red-carpet premiere for "The Lone Ranger" will be held at Disney California Adventure on June 22. Tickets are $1,000 and proceeds benefit the American Indian College Fund.
- UPDATE: Disneyland Cast Member Arrested in Toontown Incident
Anaheim Police have arrested a 22-year-old Disneyland cast member in connection with the recent "dry ice bomb" that cause an evacuation of Toontown.