Surf & Sand Hotel Laguna Beach
Disney's Southern California Magic Package gives you the flexibility to combine your stay in Disneyland with a stay in Laguna Beach at the beautiful Laguna Surf & Sand Resort. Get a no obligation Disneyland Package Quote.
Laguna Beach Surf & Sand Hotel Overview
by Regina Hinrichs
The Laguna Beach Surf & Sand Resort shatters every preconceived notion you have about an oceanfront resort. While we did expect to see the ocean in the distance; we didn’t realize that we’d be “in” the water. That’s how amazingly close the waves come to this hotel.
The view from each guestroom at the Surf & Sand is amazing. All you see is ocean, no sand, no beach, just waves rolling in. You literally have to step out on the balcony and look down to make sure there’s land and that the hotel didn’t drift away. If you’ve ever been on a cruise ship, picture the view from the verandah and you have a close idea of what the Laguna Beach Surf & Sand Hotel is like. This is one hotel where the rooms have that “WOW” factor.
With a view like that, they could have scrimped on the room’s décor, but the interior is bright, airy, welcoming and spacious. Because of its proximity directly on the water, there’s no air conditioning. Instead, the balcony doors are covered with Plantation shutters which allow you to control the ocean breezes. I don’t know about you, but when I travel a good night’s sleep can be hard to come by. At the Laguna Beach Surf & Sand Hotel, the combination of waves and salt air had me sleeping like a baby. It was wonderful.
There is high speed internet access (if you can stop yourself from gazing outside) and there’s a mini-bar. The bathroom has a great double vanity with lighted makeup mirror and a separate shower/toilet area. If you want to pamper yourself on a budget, order the “In-Room Bath Ritual.” For a modest fee they’ll deliver and prepare your choice of four aromatherapy options to enjoy in your bathtub.
A fun surprise is the turndown service. When I returned to my room in the evening, there was a CD playing. Displayed on my bed was a bathrobe with a bottle of water and, of course, there has to be chocolate. They also left a breakfast menu in case I wanted to dine in the room the next morning. I love these little touches that make a hotel unique.
The Laguna Beach Surf & Sand Hotel is deceptive. At first glance, it appears to be a bit small but then you start to explore the grounds and find that it has a lot to offer. There’s Splashes Restaurant which is very popular, in part due to the ocean view. Unfortunately, our meal wasn’t the best. (There’s no shortage of restaurants in the vicinity.) There’s a great gift shop, a pool with glass fencing overlooking the water, beach access and then there’s the Aquaterra Spa.
The Aquaterra is a full service Spa with your choice of massages, skin care and body treatments. The Spa is wonderfully serene with private treatment rooms. If you prefer, you can have your massage in an ocean side cabana or in the privacy of your room. One of my traveling companions had a massage and rated it one of the best he’s ever had.
The staff at the Laguna Beach Surf and Sand Hotel deserves special mention. Here’s a hotel in one of the more exclusive communities in the country. You might think that the staff is going to look down upon you if you don’t pull up in a Rolls Royce, but that’s simply not the case. Everyone was genuinely friendly and eager to help with any request you might have. They love to tell you about the area and to make suggestions to maximize your time there. If you can tear yourself away from your room, Laguna’s a great area full of shops, cafes and restaurants that you can easily walk to from the resort.
One negative that needs to be mentioned is accessibility for guests in wheelchairs. This hotel began with 14 rooms in the 1940’s well before any regulations were in place. There are now 165 guest rooms. While some of the rooms are accessible, there are a few steps that you need to use to get to the pool and there’s no access to the beach.
When you travel frequently, there’s a certain “sameness” from one resort to the next. The Laguna Beach Surf & Sand Hotel is a standout. This is a destination where memories are created. Once you experience it, you’ll find yourself planning to visit again, and again and again.
Extend your Disneyland stay to include 2 or more nights in Laguna Beach!
Click Here for a description of Disney's Southern California Magic Package
- Blog - Before and After - Alice in Wonderland at Disneyland
- Blog - How did you become a Disney fan?
- VIDEO: Alice in Wonderland Pre and Post-2014 Refurb Picture in Picture POV - The attraction was recently opened after a rehab. Watch both the old and the new attraction together with this Picture in Picture video.
- VIDEO: Alice in Wonderland POV at Disneyland - The ride has re-opened with brand new video effects, a lot of new paint, added characters throughout the attraction and the removal of safety rails from the exterior portion of the attraction.
- 2015 dates released for Disneyland's Grad Nite - Dates and pricing has been released for Grad Nite 2015 at the Disneyland Resort.
- Mickey's Halloween Party perks for Disneyland Passholders - Disneyland Annual Passholders who are attending Mickey's Halloween Party can stop by the Opera House for screenings of Halloween-themed Disney classics plus a tasty treat.
- Tips for using FastPass at Disneyland - With all the talk of Magic Bands and FastPass+ lately, I thought it might be good to remind folks that the Disneyland Resort is still using the "classic" paper FastPass system and maybe pass on a few tips.
- Blog - Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel - Candy Cane Inn
- Save 20% on premium rooms at the Disneyland Resort - Most weeknights this Fall, save 20% on premium rooms at the three hotels of the Disneyland Resort.
- Blog - What to Expect at Disney's D23 Destination D Event this November
- Menu updated at Flo's V8 Cafe - Flo's V8 Café at California Adventure has updated its menu, adding a couple of hot sandwiches and replacing the pork loin with BBQ pork ribs.
- Disneyland delays Elsa & Anna's Boutique transformation - The transformation of Downtown Disney's Studio Disney 365 to Elsa & Anna's Boutique has been delayed. The new opening date is 10/06/14.
- Blog - Disney Opposes "Inflammatory" Amended Complaint in DAS Lawsuit
- Blog - The Good and Bad of "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" on Blu-ray
- 4D preview of Big Hero 6 at Disneyland Park - Beginning September 26th, the Magic Eye Theater in Disneyland Park will host a 4D preview of the upcoming animated feature "Big Hero 6".
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 09/15/14
- Blog - HalloweenTime at Disneyland 2014
- Blog - Tom & West's 5 Favorite Thrills at Magic Mountain
- Top 5 ways to celebrate HalloweenTime at Disneyland - Disneyland Park goes all out for the Halloween season, from the front of the Park to the back. Starting in mid-September and continuing through the holiday itself, the Park and the characters, are decked in their Fall finest.
- Mickey's Halloween Party sold out for Halloween Night - Mickey's Halloween party at Disneyland is now sold out for three dates: 09/26, 10/03 and 10/31.
- Disneyland confirms return of Winter Dreams and Viva Navidad - The Disneyland Resort has announced the dates for the holiday celebrations and confirmed the return of World of Color-Winter Dreams and Viva Navidad.
- Mahaloween Luau coming to Trader Sam's - Celebrate Halloween a bit early at Trader Sam's with its Mahaloween Luau on 09/29/14. Tickets are $125 and go on sale 09/10/14.
- Mystic Magic Show added to Big Thunder Ranch Halloween Carnival - New on the stage this year at Disneyland's Halloween Carnival is the Mystic Magic Show, featuring jugglers, magicians and fortune tellers.
- FastPass testing at Disneyland's Frozen meet & greet - Disneyland is now testing a FastPass-like system for the Frozen meet & greet in Fantasyland.
- VIDEO: Cruising Around Hawaii - Explore the Hawaiian islands of Maui, Hawai'i, and Kauai while sailing onboard Norwegians Cruise Line's Pride of America.
- VIDEO: Driving Around Oahu - Explore the island of Oahu by driving around to different unique locations. Ted's Bakery, Haleiwa, Matsumoto's Shave Ice, and many others make Oahu a great place to find local treasures.
- Meet Oswald the Lucky Rabbit at California Adventure - Beginning 09/14/14, guests can meet Oswald the Lucky Rabbit on Buena Vista Street at California Adventure.
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 09/01/14
- Blog - The Good and Bad of "Toy Story of TERROR!" on Blu-ray
- New drawbridge for Sleeping Beauty Castle
Sleeping Beauty Castle has received a new drawbridge and railings.
- Magic Mountain's Colossus Catches Fire
The Colossus roller coaster at Magic Mountain caught fire today. No injuries were reported.
- Military resource support group launches for Disney cast members
The group launched at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World.
- Eight new "Disney Family of Wines" come to California Adventure
The wineries represented all have a personal connection to the Disney name.
- Small fire at Disneyland quickly extinguished
The fire was in a backstage area.