Surf & Sand Hotel Laguna Beach
Disney's Southern California Magic Package gives you the flexibility to combine your stay in Disneyland with a stay in Laguna Beach at the beautiful Laguna Surf & Sand Resort. Get a no obligation Disneyland Package Quote.
Laguna Beach Surf & Sand Hotel Overview
by Regina Hinrichs
The Laguna Beach Surf & Sand Resort shatters every preconceived notion you have about an oceanfront resort. While we did expect to see the ocean in the distance; we didn’t realize that we’d be “in” the water. That’s how amazingly close the waves come to this hotel.
The view from each guestroom at the Surf & Sand is amazing. All you see is ocean, no sand, no beach, just waves rolling in. You literally have to step out on the balcony and look down to make sure there’s land and that the hotel didn’t drift away. If you’ve ever been on a cruise ship, picture the view from the verandah and you have a close idea of what the Laguna Beach Surf & Sand Hotel is like. This is one hotel where the rooms have that “WOW” factor.
With a view like that, they could have scrimped on the room’s décor, but the interior is bright, airy, welcoming and spacious. Because of its proximity directly on the water, there’s no air conditioning. Instead, the balcony doors are covered with Plantation shutters which allow you to control the ocean breezes. I don’t know about you, but when I travel a good night’s sleep can be hard to come by. At the Laguna Beach Surf & Sand Hotel, the combination of waves and salt air had me sleeping like a baby. It was wonderful.
There is high speed internet access (if you can stop yourself from gazing outside) and there’s a mini-bar. The bathroom has a great double vanity with lighted makeup mirror and a separate shower/toilet area. If you want to pamper yourself on a budget, order the “In-Room Bath Ritual.” For a modest fee they’ll deliver and prepare your choice of four aromatherapy options to enjoy in your bathtub.
A fun surprise is the turndown service. When I returned to my room in the evening, there was a CD playing. Displayed on my bed was a bathrobe with a bottle of water and, of course, there has to be chocolate. They also left a breakfast menu in case I wanted to dine in the room the next morning. I love these little touches that make a hotel unique.
The Laguna Beach Surf & Sand Hotel is deceptive. At first glance, it appears to be a bit small but then you start to explore the grounds and find that it has a lot to offer. There’s Splashes Restaurant which is very popular, in part due to the ocean view. Unfortunately, our meal wasn’t the best. (There’s no shortage of restaurants in the vicinity.) There’s a great gift shop, a pool with glass fencing overlooking the water, beach access and then there’s the Aquaterra Spa.
The Aquaterra is a full service Spa with your choice of massages, skin care and body treatments. The Spa is wonderfully serene with private treatment rooms. If you prefer, you can have your massage in an ocean side cabana or in the privacy of your room. One of my traveling companions had a massage and rated it one of the best he’s ever had.
The staff at the Laguna Beach Surf and Sand Hotel deserves special mention. Here’s a hotel in one of the more exclusive communities in the country. You might think that the staff is going to look down upon you if you don’t pull up in a Rolls Royce, but that’s simply not the case. Everyone was genuinely friendly and eager to help with any request you might have. They love to tell you about the area and to make suggestions to maximize your time there. If you can tear yourself away from your room, Laguna’s a great area full of shops, cafes and restaurants that you can easily walk to from the resort.
One negative that needs to be mentioned is accessibility for guests in wheelchairs. This hotel began with 14 rooms in the 1940’s well before any regulations were in place. There are now 165 guest rooms. While some of the rooms are accessible, there are a few steps that you need to use to get to the pool and there’s no access to the beach.
When you travel frequently, there’s a certain “sameness” from one resort to the next. The Laguna Beach Surf & Sand Hotel is a standout. This is a destination where memories are created. Once you experience it, you’ll find yourself planning to visit again, and again and again.
Extend your Disneyland stay to include 2 or more nights in Laguna Beach!
Click Here for a description of Disney's Southern California Magic Package
- Legends of Frontierland extended at Disneyland Park - Legends of Frontierland, the interactive experience at Disneyland Park, has been extended past the previously announced September 1st end date.
- VIDEO - Frozen Fireworks Multi-Angle Full Show - “Frozen” Fireworks Spectacular – Everything wraps up at 9:45 p.m. when Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, and Olaf come together at the Sorcerer’s Hat Icon Stage for a grand finale to the day’s festivities, kicking off an awe-inspiring fireworks display set to the glorious music of “Frozen!”
- Magic Mountain announces Twisted Colossus - Southern California's Six Flags Magic Mountain announced that they are transforming their classic wooden coaster into a record-breaking wooden/steel hybrid.
- Disneyland adds Frozen pre-parade to Mickey's Halloween Party - The stars of Frozen will appear on their special pre-parade float prior to each Mickey's Costume Party cavalcade.
- Blog - Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel - Cortona Inn & Suites
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 08/25/14
- Mickey's Halloween Party tickets sold out for 10/03/14 - Tickets for the 10/03/14 date for Mickey's Halloween Party at Disneyland are sold out. Other dates are still available.
- Blog - Beyond Aulani
- Blog - New Tour Review: The Disney California Story
- VIDEO: What's New at Aulani - Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa has many new offerings. Quick service at Ulu Cafe, kids splash zone at Keiki Cove, two new pools, and much more.
- Elsa & Anna's Boutique coming to Disneyland - Studio Disney 365 in Disneyland's Downtown Disney will be closing August 25th to make way for Elsa & Anna's Boutique.
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 08/18/14
- Blog - The Good and Bad of the "Muppets Most Wanted" Blu-ray
- Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel Fall Discount Offer - Book a 3-night Disneyland Resort Package at a Good Neighbor Hotel for as little as $89 per person per night.
- Blog - Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel - Camelot Inn
- D23 Expo 2015 tickets are now on sale - Tickets for next year's D23 Expo are now on sale. The D23 Expo will be held August 14-16, 2015 at the Anaheim Convention Center.
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 08/11/14
- Happy 45th Birthday to Disneyland's Haunted Mansion! - This New Orleans Square attraction opened on August 9, 1969.
- Tickets for Knott's Scary Farm now on sale - Tickets are now on sale for Knott's Berry Farm's annual Halloween Celebration.
- Free Vinylmation with Disneyland Vacation Package - Book a vacation package to the Disneyland Resort this fall and receive a special Vinylmation figure inspired by Tim Burton's "The Nightmare Before Christmas".
- D23 announces ticket pricing for D23 Expo 2015 - Tickets go on sale August 14th, 2014 (one year in advance) for the D23 Expo 2015 in Anaheim. Early Bird pricing is good through the end of the year.
- Guardians of the Galaxy print at Disneyland's Pizza Port - Spend $30 or more at Pizza Port and receive an exclusive Guardians of the Galaxy print, while supplies last.
- Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend adds Pixie Dust Challenge - The Pixie Dust Challenge has been added for runners who take on both the Tinker Bell 10K and the Tinker Bell Half Marathon.
- Save 20% on a room only reservation at Disneyland hotels - Book a premium room at Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel, Disneyland Hotel or Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa and save 20%. Save 15% on a standard room.
- Blog - Review: "Guardians of the Galaxy" combines humor, action, and a stellar cast to become the perfect summer blockbuster
- Disneyland's Mickey's Halloween Party tickets now on sale to the general public. - This event runs September 12-October 31, 2014.
- Disneyland military ticket offer extended to 2015 - The Disneyland Resort has extended their special military offer through 10/03/15, however beginning 08/25/14, the 3-Day Park Hoppers will increase slightly to $132.
- Military resource support group launches for Disney cast members
The group launched at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World.
- Eight new "Disney Family of Wines" come to California Adventure
The wineries represented all have a personal connection to the Disney name.
- Small fire at Disneyland quickly extinguished
The fire was in a backstage area.
- runDisney announces Disneyland Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend
The event will take place January 15-18, 2015 at the Disneyland Resort.
- Disneyland Raises Ticket Prices Overnight
The Disneyland Resort raised prices on their tickets and annual passes overnight.