Surf & Sand Hotel Laguna Beach
Disney's Southern California Magic Package gives you the flexibility to combine your stay in Disneyland with a stay in Laguna Beach at the beautiful Laguna Surf & Sand Resort. Get a no obligation Disneyland Package Quote.
Laguna Beach Surf & Sand Hotel Overview
by Regina Hinrichs
The Laguna Beach Surf & Sand Resort shatters every preconceived notion you have about an oceanfront resort. While we did expect to see the ocean in the distance; we didn’t realize that we’d be “in” the water. That’s how amazingly close the waves come to this hotel.
The view from each guestroom at the Surf & Sand is amazing. All you see is ocean, no sand, no beach, just waves rolling in. You literally have to step out on the balcony and look down to make sure there’s land and that the hotel didn’t drift away. If you’ve ever been on a cruise ship, picture the view from the verandah and you have a close idea of what the Laguna Beach Surf & Sand Hotel is like. This is one hotel where the rooms have that “WOW” factor.
With a view like that, they could have scrimped on the room’s décor, but the interior is bright, airy, welcoming and spacious. Because of its proximity directly on the water, there’s no air conditioning. Instead, the balcony doors are covered with Plantation shutters which allow you to control the ocean breezes. I don’t know about you, but when I travel a good night’s sleep can be hard to come by. At the Laguna Beach Surf & Sand Hotel, the combination of waves and salt air had me sleeping like a baby. It was wonderful.
There is high speed internet access (if you can stop yourself from gazing outside) and there’s a mini-bar. The bathroom has a great double vanity with lighted makeup mirror and a separate shower/toilet area. If you want to pamper yourself on a budget, order the “In-Room Bath Ritual.” For a modest fee they’ll deliver and prepare your choice of four aromatherapy options to enjoy in your bathtub.
A fun surprise is the turndown service. When I returned to my room in the evening, there was a CD playing. Displayed on my bed was a bathrobe with a bottle of water and, of course, there has to be chocolate. They also left a breakfast menu in case I wanted to dine in the room the next morning. I love these little touches that make a hotel unique.
The Laguna Beach Surf & Sand Hotel is deceptive. At first glance, it appears to be a bit small but then you start to explore the grounds and find that it has a lot to offer. There’s Splashes Restaurant which is very popular, in part due to the ocean view. Unfortunately, our meal wasn’t the best. (There’s no shortage of restaurants in the vicinity.) There’s a great gift shop, a pool with glass fencing overlooking the water, beach access and then there’s the Aquaterra Spa.
The Aquaterra is a full service Spa with your choice of massages, skin care and body treatments. The Spa is wonderfully serene with private treatment rooms. If you prefer, you can have your massage in an ocean side cabana or in the privacy of your room. One of my traveling companions had a massage and rated it one of the best he’s ever had.
The staff at the Laguna Beach Surf and Sand Hotel deserves special mention. Here’s a hotel in one of the more exclusive communities in the country. You might think that the staff is going to look down upon you if you don’t pull up in a Rolls Royce, but that’s simply not the case. Everyone was genuinely friendly and eager to help with any request you might have. They love to tell you about the area and to make suggestions to maximize your time there. If you can tear yourself away from your room, Laguna’s a great area full of shops, cafes and restaurants that you can easily walk to from the resort.
One negative that needs to be mentioned is accessibility for guests in wheelchairs. This hotel began with 14 rooms in the 1940’s well before any regulations were in place. There are now 165 guest rooms. While some of the rooms are accessible, there are a few steps that you need to use to get to the pool and there’s no access to the beach.
When you travel frequently, there’s a certain “sameness” from one resort to the next. The Laguna Beach Surf & Sand Hotel is a standout. This is a destination where memories are created. Once you experience it, you’ll find yourself planning to visit again, and again and again.
Extend your Disneyland stay to include 2 or more nights in Laguna Beach!
Click Here for a description of Disney's Southern California Magic Package
- Top 5 Dining Experiences at the Disneyland Resort - Here are what I feel (at this particular moment) are the top dining experiences at the Disneyland Resort.
- Blog - Disneyland Area Hotel Review - SpringHill Suites
- Blog - Christmas at Cars Land in Disney's California Adventure
- Save up to 30% on a stay at Aulani - Discount is available most nights 4/6 - 6/15/15.
- Mad T Party at California Adventure ends November 30th - Mad T Party will have its final performance on 11/30/14. No word yet on what will replace it.
- Top 5(+) things that are better at Walt Disney World than at Disneyland - Bigger may not always be better, but isn't always worse either. I can't resist countering with an article that lists, in my view, the things that are better at Walt Disney World.
- Blog - Disneyland Area Hotel Review - Hyatt Place
- Blog - Jingle Cruise: a Better and Funnier Voyage in 2014
- Blog - Disney's Second Try at World of Color: Winter Dreams feels more Disney
- Blog - The Wreaths of Disneyland's Small World Holiday
- Top 5 things that are better at Disneyland than at Walt Disney World - Bigger isn't always better and while Walt Disney's original theme park is smaller, it still has the advantage over its East-coast counterpart in a few key areas.
- My favorite bathrooms in California Adventure - Being a newer park, the facilities are better thought out and larger. Still, you do have options..... Let's take a look at the bathrooms of DCA.
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 11/10/14
- Free breakfast offer for length of stay at Aulani - This offer must be booked by December 18.
- Blog - Frozen Ice Palace Debuts at Malls Across the Country
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Sleeping Beauty Castle Courtyard - Sleeping Beauty Castle - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Sleeping Beauty Castle Courtyard - Sleeping Beauty Castle
- Aulani plans Thanksgiving feast - Celebrate the holiday in the Kaiona Ballroom. The menu will include traditional Thanksgiving favorites with an island twist.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Disneyland Park Hub - "Partners" Statue - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Disneyland Park Hub - "Partners" Statue
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Haunted Mansion Queue - Haunted Mansion Holiday - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Haunted Mansion Queue - Haunted Mansion Holiday
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 11/03/14
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Fantasy Faire Path - Sleeping Beauty Castle - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Fantasy Faire Path - Sleeping Beauty Castle
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Sleeping Beauty Castle Bridge - Sleeping Beauty Castle - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Sleeping Beauty Castle Bridge - Sleeping Beauty Castle
- VIDEO: Conjure A Villain at Disneyland Park - During Halloween Time at Disneyland Park, you can conjure a villain to meet back in the Halloween Carnival in Big Thunder Ranch. You never know what villain you are going to get!
- VIDEO: Mickey's Costume Party Cavalcade 2014 - Mickey's Costume Party Cavalcade is the special parade that takes place during Mickey's Halloween Party at Disneyland Park.
- VIDEO: Cadaver Dans sing "Headless Horseman" on the Rivers of America - During Mickey's Halloween Party at Disneyland Park, the Dapper Dans transform into the Cadaver Dans and move their act from Main Street USA to the Rivers of America to perform some Halloween-themed numbers including this version of "Headless Horseman" from "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" animated Disney film.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - New Orleans Square - Rivers of America - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at New Orleans Square - Rivers of America
- Blog - Mickey's Halloween Party vs. Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
- My favorite bathrooms in Disneyland Park - What makes a good bathroom? Is it clean? Is it busy? How big is it? How crowded is it?
- VIDEO: 2014 Mickey's Halloween Party Overview - Mickey's Halloween Party is the yearly event that brings the spookiest holiday of them all to Disneyland Park.
- Planning a Disney Halloween Party in 10 Steps - A few ideas and 10 steps for planning a Disney Halloween party in your own neighborhood.
- New Anaheim transportation hub to open next month
A new Anaheim transportation hub is scheduled to open in early December.
- Last surviving child of Knott's founder dies
Marion Knott, youngest daughter of Knott's Berry Farm founders Walter and Cordelia Knott, passed away recently at age 92.
- Knott's Berry Farm announces new 4-D attraction
Knott's Berry Farm has announced Voyage of the Iron Reef, a new interactive ride set to open Spring 2015.
- Superheroes take over the inaugural Avengers half marathon
Runners dressed in costume for the inaugural running of the Avengers Superheroes Half Marathon this weekend in Anaheim.
- Schedule for handmade candy canes at Disneyland
Candy cane-making season begins November 28.