Surf & Sand Hotel Laguna Beach
Disney's Southern California Magic Package gives you the flexibility to combine your stay in Disneyland with a stay in Laguna Beach at the beautiful Laguna Surf & Sand Resort. Get a no obligation Disneyland Package Quote.
Laguna Beach Surf & Sand Hotel Overview
by Regina Hinrichs
The Laguna Beach Surf & Sand Resort shatters every preconceived notion you have about an oceanfront resort. While we did expect to see the ocean in the distance; we didn’t realize that we’d be “in” the water. That’s how amazingly close the waves come to this hotel.
The view from each guestroom at the Surf & Sand is amazing. All you see is ocean, no sand, no beach, just waves rolling in. You literally have to step out on the balcony and look down to make sure there’s land and that the hotel didn’t drift away. If you’ve ever been on a cruise ship, picture the view from the verandah and you have a close idea of what the Laguna Beach Surf & Sand Hotel is like. This is one hotel where the rooms have that “WOW” factor.
With a view like that, they could have scrimped on the room’s décor, but the interior is bright, airy, welcoming and spacious. Because of its proximity directly on the water, there’s no air conditioning. Instead, the balcony doors are covered with Plantation shutters which allow you to control the ocean breezes. I don’t know about you, but when I travel a good night’s sleep can be hard to come by. At the Laguna Beach Surf & Sand Hotel, the combination of waves and salt air had me sleeping like a baby. It was wonderful.
There is high speed internet access (if you can stop yourself from gazing outside) and there’s a mini-bar. The bathroom has a great double vanity with lighted makeup mirror and a separate shower/toilet area. If you want to pamper yourself on a budget, order the “In-Room Bath Ritual.” For a modest fee they’ll deliver and prepare your choice of four aromatherapy options to enjoy in your bathtub.
A fun surprise is the turndown service. When I returned to my room in the evening, there was a CD playing. Displayed on my bed was a bathrobe with a bottle of water and, of course, there has to be chocolate. They also left a breakfast menu in case I wanted to dine in the room the next morning. I love these little touches that make a hotel unique.
The Laguna Beach Surf & Sand Hotel is deceptive. At first glance, it appears to be a bit small but then you start to explore the grounds and find that it has a lot to offer. There’s Splashes Restaurant which is very popular, in part due to the ocean view. Unfortunately, our meal wasn’t the best. (There’s no shortage of restaurants in the vicinity.) There’s a great gift shop, a pool with glass fencing overlooking the water, beach access and then there’s the Aquaterra Spa.
The Aquaterra is a full service Spa with your choice of massages, skin care and body treatments. The Spa is wonderfully serene with private treatment rooms. If you prefer, you can have your massage in an ocean side cabana or in the privacy of your room. One of my traveling companions had a massage and rated it one of the best he’s ever had.
The staff at the Laguna Beach Surf and Sand Hotel deserves special mention. Here’s a hotel in one of the more exclusive communities in the country. You might think that the staff is going to look down upon you if you don’t pull up in a Rolls Royce, but that’s simply not the case. Everyone was genuinely friendly and eager to help with any request you might have. They love to tell you about the area and to make suggestions to maximize your time there. If you can tear yourself away from your room, Laguna’s a great area full of shops, cafes and restaurants that you can easily walk to from the resort.
One negative that needs to be mentioned is accessibility for guests in wheelchairs. This hotel began with 14 rooms in the 1940’s well before any regulations were in place. There are now 165 guest rooms. While some of the rooms are accessible, there are a few steps that you need to use to get to the pool and there’s no access to the beach.
When you travel frequently, there’s a certain “sameness” from one resort to the next. The Laguna Beach Surf & Sand Hotel is a standout. This is a destination where memories are created. Once you experience it, you’ll find yourself planning to visit again, and again and again.
Extend your Disneyland stay to include 2 or more nights in Laguna Beach!
Click Here for a description of Disney's Southern California Magic Package
- Special menu items for New Year's Eve at Disneyland - Many of the restaurants of the Disneyland Resort will be offering special menu items for New Year's Eve, including a Seafood Pot Pie at Blue Bayou and Surf & Turf at Carnation Café.
- Jerry Bruckheimer book signing at Disneyland Park - Award-winning producer Jerry Bruckheimer will be appearing for a special signing of "Jerry Bruckheimer: When Lightning Strikes | Four Decades of Filmmaking" by Michael Singer on December 14th.
- Elf Days at California Adventure - Santa's elves are looking for recruits to join their ranks 12/09/13 through 12/15/13. Head to the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail where you can test your bravery with the Jingle Bell Bridge, tackle Present Tracking or learn the secret Elf Handshake.
- Blog - EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW with Jonathan Groff from FROZEN
- VIDEO: "In Summer" from Disney's "Frozen" in "World of Color - Winter Dreams" - "In Summer," sung by Josh Gad from Walt Disney Animation's 53rd animated feature "Frozen," has been been adapted for the brand new "World of Color - Winter Dreams" at Disney California Adventure.
- Blog - Brewing Now: Joffrey’s Disney Parks Collection of Coffees
- VIDEO: "A Christmas Fantasy" Parade at Disneyland - Join Mickey and the Disneyland Characters for a celebration of Christmas along Main Street USA. This parade is a yearly tradition, delighting guests of all ages as they enjoy the antics of Disney characters dancing alongside gingerbread men, snowflakes, and other Christmas characters.
- VIDEO: Santa Talks Holidays at Disneyland Resort 2013 - Join Tom Bell, host of the DIS Unplugged Disneyland Edition, as he speaks with Santa about all of the holiday happenings at Disneyland Resort.
- VIDEO: Making Tamales at Viva Navidad! at Disney California Adventure 2013 - Join Tom Bell, host of the DIS Unplugged Disneyland Edition, while he learns about Viva Navidad! and how to make tamales from Rubia, a pastry chef at Disneyland Resort.
- VIDEO: "Let It Go" from Disney's "Frozen" in "World of Color - Winter Dreams" - "Let It Go," sung by broadway star Idina Menzel from Walt Disney Animation's 53rd animated feature "Frozen," has been been adapted for the brand new "World of Color - Winter Dreams" at Disney California Adventure. "World of Color" is the nighttime colored fountain show at DCA and has been performed since 2010. "Winter Dreams" is the first full show variation.
- VIDEO: World of Color Fountain Controls at Disney California Adventure 2013 - Join Tom Bell, host of the DIS Unplugged Disneyland Edition, as he speaks with Rene from Disney Parks and Resorts about the technology behind World of Color - Winter Dreams, the nighttime fountain show at Disney California Adventure.
- Donate to Toys For Tots at the Disneyland Resort - Donate a new, unwrapped toy at several locations throughout Downtown Disney and the Disneyland Resort Hotels from 12/1 through 12/14.
- VIDEO: Haunted Mansion Holiday 2013 at Disneyland - Jack Skellington takes over the Haunted Mansion to bring Christmas to Halloweentown in Haunted Mansion Holiday, the seasonal overlay that is celebrating its 13th year at Disneyland Resort.
- VIDEO: World of Color - Winter Dreams - For the Christmas season, Disney California Adventure Park presents 'World of Color - Winter Dreams' a brand new holiday version of World of Color starring Olaf (voiced by Josh Gad), the lovable snowman from Disney's "Frozen," a Toy Story Nutcracker sequence and a special intro featuring the Honor Choir.
- Aulani named Best for Families by Fodor's Travel - Aulani was recently named "Best for Families" by Fodor's Travel in their "Top 10 Hawaiian Resorts for 2013" list.
- VIDEO: Disneyland's 'Jingle Cruise' Queue and Full POV Ride-Through - The Jungle Cruise Skippers have grown homesick for the holidays, so they've added holiday cheer to the queue and boathouse with decorations that have been mailed to them from home (plus a few they've created themselves). Other changes include new jokes, boat names and music loop in the queue.
- TubaChristmas returns to the Disneyland Resort - Hundreds of tuba players will gather in Downtown Disney to perform holiday music on December 21st at 1:00pm.
- Blog - Review: “Frozen”
- Blog - Trader Sam’s Mixes Up Holiday Drinks
- VIDEO: Olaf's Ice Rink in Downtown Disney at Disneyland Resort - This year at Downtown Disney, the ice rink created for the holiday season is based off of the 53rd Disney Animated Film "Frozen". Olaf's Ice Rink allows guests to lace up skates and hit the ice, but if you're not adventurous then you can do some shopping at the holiday themed stands.
- VIDEO: Christmas in Cars Land at Disney California Adventure - Seasons Speedings! Cars Land, the popular area at Disney California Adventure based off of the Disney-Pixar film "Cars", has received a holiday overlay making the streets of Radiator Springs merrier than ever.
- Limited Time Magic: Jingle Cruise poster giveaway - Celebrate the Jingle Cruise at Magic Kingdom and Disneyland Park with a complimentary mini poster while supplies last.
- Blog - Disney’s Newest Animated Feature “Frozen” Flurries Into Theme Parks On Both Coasts
- Knott's Berry Farm announces major plans for 2014 - Knott's Berry farm is planning a major refurbishment for the Calico Mine Ride beginning in January, plus new rides and an entire restoration to celebrate Camp Snoopy's 30th Anniversary.
- Blog - EXCLUSIVE: Nikon becomes the Official Camera of Walt Disney World and Disneyland
- Disneyland announces more lengthy closures for early 2014 - In addition to the 4-month closure for Alice in Wonderland, the Disneyland Resort has also announced a 8-month closure for Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage and a nearly 4-month closure for Soarin' Over California.
- VIDEO: Toy Story Nutcracker from "World of Color - Winter Dreams" - Toy Story Nutcracker is a special sequence created by Pixar specifically for "World of Color - Winter Dreams", the nighttime fountain show at Disney California Adventure. Your favorite Toy Story characters dance to Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite songs including March of the Wooden Soldier, Trepak, Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy, Chinese Dance and Dance of the Flowers.
- Viva Navidad menu takes over Paradise Garden Grill - A special Viva Navidad menu is being served at California Adventure's Paradise Garden Grill, featuring Street Style Tacos, Chicken Mole and Torta al Pastor.
- VIDEO: Josh Gad - Voice of Olaf in "Frozen" - Interview - Josh Gad, the voice of Olaf in "Frozen" and "World of Color - Winter Dreams" and Tony Award nominee for "The Book of Mormon", takes a few minutes to talk about how important it was to work on a Disney film that led to a theme park experience and the music behind it all.
- VIDEO: Believe...In Holiday Magic Fireworks Spectacular - For the Christmas season, Disneyland Park presents 'Believe...In Holiday Magic Fireworks Spectacular,' a holiday fireworks show over Sleeping Beauty Castle which ends with magical snowfall over Main Street U.S.A.
- Firefighters called for smoke at Disneyland
Smoke was seen coming from a Disneyland storage facility.
- Billy Hill and the Hillbillies leaving Disneyland Park in January
20-year veterans of the park, the group will hold its final performance January 6, 2014.
- Couple gets married on Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean ride
A Disney-loving couple held a secret wedding on Pirates of the Caribbean.
- Disney's Jungle Cruise getting a holiday makeover
The Jungle Cruise at both the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland Park will be transforming into the "Jingle Cruise" this holiday season.
- The View to broadcast live from Disneyland in November
The show will tape November 18-22.