Loews Hollywood Hotel California
Disney's Southern California Magic Package gives you the flexibility to combine your stay in Disneyland with a stay in Hollywood at the beautiful Renaissance Hollywood Hotel. Get a no obligation Disneyland Package Quote.
Loews Hollywood Hotel Overview
by Regina Hinrichs
The Loews Hollywood Hotel California (formerly the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel) gave me a case of “déjà vu all over again.” I know by its location that I stayed there before, but this sure isn’t the run of the mill chain hotel that it once was. It’s fantastic!!
While it is in the heart of Hollywood, it creates its own environment. When you pull up to the entrance, there’s an ingenious fountain wall that partially blocks the direct view of the street. Usually city hotels mean pulling up along the curb and frantically trying to get the car unloaded before traffic backs up. Not here. There’s a spacious driveway with Valets waiting to help you.
The vibrancy of the city spills over into the interior. The lobby is cavernous with a convenient lounge and comfy chairs on your right, and believe it or not, a Zen garden on the left. There you are, in the center of a city and there’s a little, tranquil oasis right in your hotel.
One thing you notice right away is the art work. There are over 80 pieces of art in the public spaces. We’re not talking stand behind the velvet ropes paintings of fruit. This is high energy modern art that draws you in for a closer look.
The Loews Hollywood Hotel California’s guest rooms have the same attention to detail. Sleek, comfortable and surprisingly large for a city hotel. The views are amazing. We could see the landmark Capitol Records building (which I’m happy to report is restored to its former glory since it was demolished by Aliens in “Independence Day.”) In the morning, we looked to the left and there it was, the Hollywood sign! (This was blown to bits in the move “The Day After Tomorrow” but no one besides me saw that one.)
Every amenity that you would want is provided. Internet access, coffeemaker, CD player, fridge, Playstation, safe and bathrobes are there for you to enjoy. If you bring your computer, the desk is great. It’s in two sections making it very easy to use your laptop.
The bathrooms are fully enclosed with a big granite vanity and lighted makeup mirror. It’s easy to prepare for your “close-up.” The best part is the bathtub. You are in Hollywood baby, and you’re standing on non-slip stars.
A big concern about any city hotel is the noise and light factor. We recently stayed in an upscale DC hotel that provided earplugs and clips to hold the curtains closed. They could learn a few things from the Loews Hollywood Hotel. They have a special shade that blocks out the light, and the soundproofing is amazing. Any sounds were so muffled that they didn’t interfere with a good night’s sleep.
One thing that was a bit familiar from my previous stay is the outdoor pool located on a fifth floor roof extension. Now it has private cabanas, glass fencing, and a view of the Dolby Theater arches that is indescribable. You expect to tip your sunglasses and see Brad Pitt lounging poolside. (A girl can dream, can’t she?)
The other concern about being in the city is well, being in a city. To give you a timeline, when I stayed here 30 years ago, it was touted as being around the corner from Grauman’s Chinese Theater. We had fun touring the area. Twelve years ago we visited with our children. We stayed on the city outskirts and it was suggested that we simply drive past Grauman’s and not stop as it was a bit on the seedy side.
Now along comes the Loews Hollywood Hotel California and the connected Hollywood & Highland Center. You have this beautiful hotel, an attached mall with a great variety of restaurants and shops, the Dolby theater, the Disney owned El Capitan theater which is connected to Disney's Soda Fountain and Studio Store, the Hollywood Walk of Fame and it’s all literally at your doorstep. I wish I could turn back the clock. The kids would have had a great time here and we’d have none of the past safety concerns.
Imagine getting a real taste of Hollywood within one city block! You don’t have to drive in city traffic, you don’t have to go into unfamiliar areas, you just have to slip on your Keds and go. If Beverly Hills and Rodeo Drive are a must, it’s a short drive away.
I still can’t believe this is the same hotel that I stayed at so many years ago. Not only has the hotel undergone an astonishing transformation, the area is revitalized. A stay at the Loews Hollywood Hotel should be on everyone’s list of “must do’s” in California.
Click Here for a description of Disney's Southern California Magic Package
- Disneyland's Legends of Frontierland ends 09/27/14 - The interactive Legends of Frontierland ends its run at Disneyland Park on September 27th.
- Mickey's Halloween Party perks for Disneyland Passholders - Disneyland Annual Passholders who are attending Mickey's Halloween Party can stop by the Opera House for screenings of Halloween-themed Disney classics plus a tasty treat.
- Tips for using FastPass at Disneyland - With all the talk of Magic Bands and FastPass+ lately, I thought it might be good to remind folks that the Disneyland Resort is still using the "classic" paper FastPass system and maybe pass on a few tips.
- Blog - Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel - Candy Cane Inn
- Save 20% on premium rooms at the Disneyland Resort - Most weeknights this Fall, save 20% on premium rooms at the three hotels of the Disneyland Resort.
- Blog - What to Expect at Disney's D23 Destination D Event this November
- Menu updated at Flo's V8 Cafe - Flo's V8 Café at California Adventure has updated its menu, adding a couple of hot sandwiches and replacing the pork loin with BBQ pork ribs.
- Disneyland delays Elsa & Anna's Boutique transformation - The transformation of Downtown Disney's Studio Disney 365 to Elsa & Anna's Boutique has been delayed. The new opening date is 10/06/14.
- Blog - Disney Opposes "Inflammatory" Amended Complaint in DAS Lawsuit
- Blog - The Good and Bad of "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" on Blu-ray
- 4D preview of Big Hero 6 at Disneyland Park - Beginning September 26th, the Magic Eye Theater in Disneyland Park will host a 4D preview of the upcoming animated feature "Big Hero 6".
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 09/15/14
- Blog - HalloweenTime at Disneyland 2014
- Blog - Tom & West's 5 Favorite Thrills at Magic Mountain
- Top 5 ways to celebrate HalloweenTime at Disneyland - Disneyland Park goes all out for the Halloween season, from the front of the Park to the back. Starting in mid-September and continuing through the holiday itself, the Park and the characters, are decked in their Fall finest.
- Mickey's Halloween Party sold out for Halloween Night - Mickey's Halloween party at Disneyland is now sold out for three dates: 09/26, 10/03 and 10/31.
- Disneyland confirms return of Winter Dreams and Viva Navidad - The Disneyland Resort has announced the dates for the holiday celebrations and confirmed the return of World of Color-Winter Dreams and Viva Navidad.
- Mahaloween Luau coming to Trader Sam's - Celebrate Halloween a bit early at Trader Sam's with its Mahaloween Luau on 09/29/14. Tickets are $125 and go on sale 09/10/14.
- Mystic Magic Show added to Big Thunder Ranch Halloween Carnival - New on the stage this year at Disneyland's Halloween Carnival is the Mystic Magic Show, featuring jugglers, magicians and fortune tellers.
- FastPass testing at Disneyland's Frozen meet & greet - Disneyland is now testing a FastPass-like system for the Frozen meet & greet in Fantasyland.
- VIDEO: Cruising Around Hawaii - Explore the Hawaiian islands of Maui, Hawai'i, and Kauai while sailing onboard Norwegians Cruise Line's Pride of America.
- VIDEO: Driving Around Oahu - Explore the island of Oahu by driving around to different unique locations. Ted's Bakery, Haleiwa, Matsumoto's Shave Ice, and many others make Oahu a great place to find local treasures.
- Meet Oswald the Lucky Rabbit at California Adventure - Beginning 09/14/14, guests can meet Oswald the Lucky Rabbit on Buena Vista Street at California Adventure.
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 09/01/14
- Blog - The Good and Bad of "Toy Story of TERROR!" on Blu-ray
- Legends of Frontierland extended at Disneyland Park - Legends of Frontierland, the interactive experience at Disneyland Park, has been extended past the previously announced September 1st end date.
- VIDEO - Frozen Fireworks Multi-Angle Full Show - “Frozen” Fireworks Spectacular – Everything wraps up at 9:45 p.m. when Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, and Olaf come together at the Sorcerer’s Hat Icon Stage for a grand finale to the day’s festivities, kicking off an awe-inspiring fireworks display set to the glorious music of “Frozen!”
- Magic Mountain announces Twisted Colossus - Southern California's Six Flags Magic Mountain announced that they are transforming their classic wooden coaster into a record-breaking wooden/steel hybrid.
- Disneyland adds Frozen pre-parade to Mickey's Halloween Party - The stars of Frozen will appear on their special pre-parade float prior to each Mickey's Costume Party cavalcade.
- Blog - Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel - Cortona Inn & Suites
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 08/25/14
- New drawbridge for Sleeping Beauty Castle
Sleeping Beauty Castle has received a new drawbridge and railings.
- Magic Mountain's Colossus Catches Fire
The Colossus roller coaster at Magic Mountain caught fire today. No injuries were reported.
- Military resource support group launches for Disney cast members
The group launched at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World.
- Eight new "Disney Family of Wines" come to California Adventure
The wineries represented all have a personal connection to the Disney name.
- Small fire at Disneyland quickly extinguished
The fire was in a backstage area.