Loews Hollywood Hotel California
Disney's Southern California Magic Package gives you the flexibility to combine your stay in Disneyland with a stay in Hollywood at the beautiful Renaissance Hollywood Hotel. Get a no obligation Disneyland Package Quote.
Loews Hollywood Hotel Overview
by Regina Hinrichs
The Loews Hollywood Hotel California (formerly the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel) gave me a case of “déjà vu all over again.” I know by its location that I stayed there before, but this sure isn’t the run of the mill chain hotel that it once was. It’s fantastic!!
While it is in the heart of Hollywood, it creates its own environment. When you pull up to the entrance, there’s an ingenious fountain wall that partially blocks the direct view of the street. Usually city hotels mean pulling up along the curb and frantically trying to get the car unloaded before traffic backs up. Not here. There’s a spacious driveway with Valets waiting to help you.
The vibrancy of the city spills over into the interior. The lobby is cavernous with a convenient lounge and comfy chairs on your right, and believe it or not, a Zen garden on the left. There you are, in the center of a city and there’s a little, tranquil oasis right in your hotel.
One thing you notice right away is the art work. There are over 80 pieces of art in the public spaces. We’re not talking stand behind the velvet ropes paintings of fruit. This is high energy modern art that draws you in for a closer look.
The Loews Hollywood Hotel California’s guest rooms have the same attention to detail. Sleek, comfortable and surprisingly large for a city hotel. The views are amazing. We could see the landmark Capitol Records building (which I’m happy to report is restored to its former glory since it was demolished by Aliens in “Independence Day.”) In the morning, we looked to the left and there it was, the Hollywood sign! (This was blown to bits in the move “The Day After Tomorrow” but no one besides me saw that one.)
Every amenity that you would want is provided. Internet access, coffeemaker, CD player, fridge, Playstation, safe and bathrobes are there for you to enjoy. If you bring your computer, the desk is great. It’s in two sections making it very easy to use your laptop.
The bathrooms are fully enclosed with a big granite vanity and lighted makeup mirror. It’s easy to prepare for your “close-up.” The best part is the bathtub. You are in Hollywood baby, and you’re standing on non-slip stars.
A big concern about any city hotel is the noise and light factor. We recently stayed in an upscale DC hotel that provided earplugs and clips to hold the curtains closed. They could learn a few things from the Loews Hollywood Hotel. They have a special shade that blocks out the light, and the soundproofing is amazing. Any sounds were so muffled that they didn’t interfere with a good night’s sleep.
One thing that was a bit familiar from my previous stay is the outdoor pool located on a fifth floor roof extension. Now it has private cabanas, glass fencing, and a view of the Dolby Theater arches that is indescribable. You expect to tip your sunglasses and see Brad Pitt lounging poolside. (A girl can dream, can’t she?)
The other concern about being in the city is well, being in a city. To give you a timeline, when I stayed here 30 years ago, it was touted as being around the corner from Grauman’s Chinese Theater. We had fun touring the area. Twelve years ago we visited with our children. We stayed on the city outskirts and it was suggested that we simply drive past Grauman’s and not stop as it was a bit on the seedy side.
Now along comes the Loews Hollywood Hotel California and the connected Hollywood & Highland Center. You have this beautiful hotel, an attached mall with a great variety of restaurants and shops, the Dolby theater, the Disney owned El Capitan theater which is connected to Disney's Soda Fountain and Studio Store, the Hollywood Walk of Fame and it’s all literally at your doorstep. I wish I could turn back the clock. The kids would have had a great time here and we’d have none of the past safety concerns.
Imagine getting a real taste of Hollywood within one city block! You don’t have to drive in city traffic, you don’t have to go into unfamiliar areas, you just have to slip on your Keds and go. If Beverly Hills and Rodeo Drive are a must, it’s a short drive away.
I still can’t believe this is the same hotel that I stayed at so many years ago. Not only has the hotel undergone an astonishing transformation, the area is revitalized. A stay at the Loews Hollywood Hotel should be on everyone’s list of “must do’s” in California.
Click Here for a description of Disney's Southern California Magic Package
- Blog - Christmas at Cars Land in Disney's California Adventure
- Save up to 30% on a stay at Aulani - Discount is available most nights 4/6 - 6/15/15.
- Mad T Party at California Adventure ends November 30th - Mad T Party will have its final performance on 11/30/14. No word yet on what will replace it.
- Top 5(+) things that are better at Walt Disney World than at Disneyland - Bigger may not always be better, but isn't always worse either. I can't resist countering with an article that lists, in my view, the things that are better at Walt Disney World.
- Blog - Disneyland Area Hotel Review - Hyatt Place
- Blog - Jingle Cruise: a Better and Funnier Voyage in 2014
- Blog - Disney's Second Try at World of Color: Winter Dreams feels more Disney
- Blog - The Wreaths of Disneyland's Small World Holiday
- Top 5 things that are better at Disneyland than at Walt Disney World - Bigger isn't always better and while Walt Disney's original theme park is smaller, it still has the advantage over its East-coast counterpart in a few key areas.
- My favorite bathrooms in California Adventure - Being a newer park, the facilities are better thought out and larger. Still, you do have options..... Let's take a look at the bathrooms of DCA.
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 11/10/14
- Free breakfast offer for length of stay at Aulani - This offer must be booked by December 18.
- Blog - Frozen Ice Palace Debuts at Malls Across the Country
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Sleeping Beauty Castle Courtyard - Sleeping Beauty Castle - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Sleeping Beauty Castle Courtyard - Sleeping Beauty Castle
- Aulani plans Thanksgiving feast - Celebrate the holiday in the Kaiona Ballroom. The menu will include traditional Thanksgiving favorites with an island twist.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Disneyland Park Hub - "Partners" Statue - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Disneyland Park Hub - "Partners" Statue
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Haunted Mansion Queue - Haunted Mansion Holiday - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Haunted Mansion Queue - Haunted Mansion Holiday
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 11/03/14
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Fantasy Faire Path - Sleeping Beauty Castle - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Fantasy Faire Path - Sleeping Beauty Castle
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Sleeping Beauty Castle Bridge - Sleeping Beauty Castle - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Sleeping Beauty Castle Bridge - Sleeping Beauty Castle
- VIDEO: Conjure A Villain at Disneyland Park - During Halloween Time at Disneyland Park, you can conjure a villain to meet back in the Halloween Carnival in Big Thunder Ranch. You never know what villain you are going to get!
- VIDEO: Mickey's Costume Party Cavalcade 2014 - Mickey's Costume Party Cavalcade is the special parade that takes place during Mickey's Halloween Party at Disneyland Park.
- VIDEO: Cadaver Dans sing "Headless Horseman" on the Rivers of America - During Mickey's Halloween Party at Disneyland Park, the Dapper Dans transform into the Cadaver Dans and move their act from Main Street USA to the Rivers of America to perform some Halloween-themed numbers including this version of "Headless Horseman" from "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" animated Disney film.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - New Orleans Square - Rivers of America - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at New Orleans Square - Rivers of America
- Blog - Mickey's Halloween Party vs. Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
- My favorite bathrooms in Disneyland Park - What makes a good bathroom? Is it clean? Is it busy? How big is it? How crowded is it?
- VIDEO: 2014 Mickey's Halloween Party Overview - Mickey's Halloween Party is the yearly event that brings the spookiest holiday of them all to Disneyland Park.
- Planning a Disney Halloween Party in 10 Steps - A few ideas and 10 steps for planning a Disney Halloween party in your own neighborhood.
- New Anaheim transportation hub to open next month
A new Anaheim transportation hub is scheduled to open in early December.
- Last surviving child of Knott's founder dies
Marion Knott, youngest daughter of Knott's Berry Farm founders Walter and Cordelia Knott, passed away recently at age 92.
- Knott's Berry Farm announces new 4-D attraction
Knott's Berry Farm has announced Voyage of the Iron Reef, a new interactive ride set to open Spring 2015.
- Superheroes take over the inaugural Avengers half marathon
Runners dressed in costume for the inaugural running of the Avengers Superheroes Half Marathon this weekend in Anaheim.
- Schedule for handmade candy canes at Disneyland
Candy cane-making season begins November 28.