Laguna Beach - Disneyland Add on
Disney's Southern California Magic Package gives you the flexibility to combine your stay in Disneyland with a stay in Laguna Beach at the beautiful Laguna Surf & Sand Resort. Get a no obligation Disneyland Package Quote.
Laguna Beach Overview
by Regina Hinrichs
When I know that I’m heading to a new destination, I do exactly what you’re doing; I research and read about it. In the case of Laguna Beach, I went to a new extreme; I watched the MTV reality series “Laguna Beach.” Armed with everything I needed to know about Taylor, Talan, Jessica and Jason, I was equipped to maximize my time here.
We stayed at the fantastic Laguna Beach Surf & Sand Resort. Not only is it an amazing resort, it was featured in an episode of the TV show and is across the way from the Koffee Klatch. One thing I learned, the cast of Laguna Beach loved their coffee. There’s no better place to grab a Latte and get some local flavor.
There is much more to Laguna than being the backdrop of the TV show. Its roots are in the Arts which is evident in the galleries and specialty shops found throughout the area. In the summer, the Festival of the Arts, Sawdust Festival, Art-A-Fair and Pageant of the Masters takes place. In the fall there’s the Winter Fantasy and Laguna Arts & Craft Guild show. Occasionally, free concerts are scheduled by Laguna Beach Live. Year round the Laguna Playhouse features award winning performances at the Moulton Theater.
One thing I love doing when I travel is shop. Knowing that Laguna is an exclusive community, I assumed that the prices would be $$$$. I was amazed to find that many stores were well within my budget and I got some terrific souvenirs for my MTV addicted daughter. She was thrilled to be outfitted in “Laguna Beach” from head to toe, and I was happy that it didn’t cost a fortune.
Dining was another pleasant surprise. In upscale communities, you anticipate being served a stalk of asparagus with one scallop, and being handed a check equivalent to a mortgage payment. Not only were there tons of moderate priced restaurants, the staff was always friendly and welcoming.
For those of you who enjoy the great outdoors, Laguna is known for its Tide Pools. You can visit the Crystal Cove State Park, the Laguna Coast Wilderness Park, the Glenn E. Vedder Ecological Reserve, and the Aliso & Wood Canyons Wilderness Park. From mid-December to early April, you may be lucky enough to spot the gray whales during their annual migration as they pass the coastline. The Pacific Marine Mammal Center is a marine rescue center and is open to the public.
For something different, the Laguna Culinary Arts Cooking School offers hands-on cooking classes as well as wine tastings and instruction in Wine and Food Pairing. The Laguna Canyon Winery has the only public wine tasting room in Orange County.
Want to visit the destination made famous by the Four Preps? (Bet you thought it was the Beach Boys.) Head to Dana Point where you can catch a boat or catamaran to Catalina Island, the island of romance, romance, romance, romance. (Sorry, the song is stuck in my head.)
You’re probably saying “sounds great for grownups, but what about kids?” Of course, there are the beaches and the parks. There’s also the Balboa Fun Zone located on Balboa Island in nearby Newport Beach. Boomers in Irvine is a short drive away and has bumper boats, mini-golf, laser tag, rock wall, go karts, batting cages and game room. Irvine is also home to the Wild Rivers water park. Captain Dave’s Dolphin Safari will take you in search of dolphins and blue whales. At the Ocean Institute you can sail on a tall ship adventure.
Your teens will be able to conduct your own tour. Between the OC and MTV, they’ll be pointing out such landmarks as Wahoo’s Fish Tacos and the Thalia Street Surf Shop. Laguna is such a fun destination for this somewhat hard to please age group. (By the way, I’m just on pins and needles waiting for season 3 of “Laguna Beach” to begin. I wonder if Stephen will end up with Kristin or LC?)
Laguna Beach has a bit of everything. It’s upscale but at the same time, down to earth. They take great pride in their history and embrace the latest trends. You’ll find warm smiles at every turn, and bring back wonderful memories.
- Planning a Disney Halloween Party in 10 Steps - A few ideas and 10 steps for planning a Disney Halloween party in your own neighborhood.
- Big Hero 6 meet coming to Disneyland Park - Beginning after the movie opens in November, meet Hiro and Baymax from Disney's newest animated feature, "Big Hero 6", inside the Starcade in Tomorrowland.
- Blog - Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel – La Quinta Inn & Suites
- VIDEO: Halloween Treats At Disneyland Resort - Tom Bell, host of The DIS Unplugged: Disneyland Edition, talks with a Disney Chef about Halloween treats you can find this year at the Disneyland Resort.
- Top 5 tips to make your trip through the airport go smoother - You read those stories all the time about people complaining about their travel experiences. I would like to share some tips to help make your next trip to Walt Disney World a pleasant experience.
- VIDEO: Halloween and the Cadaver Dans at Disneyland Resort - Tom Bell, host of The DIS Unplugged: Disneyland Edition, talks about Disneyland Resort's celebration of Halloween. Plus the Cadaver Dans perform in front of the Haunted Mansion.
- Anna & Elsa's Boutique now open at the Disneyland Resort - Anna & Elsa's Boutique has replaced Studio Disney 365 in Downtown Disney at the Disneyland Resort.
- Blog - Book Review: Walt Disney: Drawn from Imagination
- Get 4th night free or save 30% at Aulani, plus get free breakfast - Stay 4 nights and get the 4th free, plus complimentary breakfast. Stay longer and get 30% off stays of 5 nights or longer, plus complimentary breakfast. Offer is valid for stays most nights 1/4/15 - 3/23/15.
- Mickey's Halloween Party is completely sold out! - Mickey's Halloween Party at Disneyland Park is now completely sold out for all remaining dates.
- Blog - Theme Parks Increase Intellectual Property Lineup
- Which Disneyland Resort character meal is right for you? - The Disneyland Resort offers several character meals, so how do you decide which one is best for you and your family?
- Thanksgiving options at the Disneyland Resort - The Disneyland Resort offers several options for Thanksgiving, including a feast in the Grand Ballroom of the Disneyland Hotel.
- Blog - Before and After - Alice in Wonderland at Disneyland
- Blog - How did you become a Disney fan?
- VIDEO: Alice in Wonderland Pre and Post-2014 Refurb Picture in Picture POV - The attraction was recently opened after a rehab. Watch both the old and the new attraction together with this Picture in Picture video.
- VIDEO: Alice in Wonderland POV at Disneyland - The ride has re-opened with brand new video effects, a lot of new paint, added characters throughout the attraction and the removal of safety rails from the exterior portion of the attraction.
- 2015 dates released for Disneyland's Grad Nite - Dates and pricing has been released for Grad Nite 2015 at the Disneyland Resort.
- Mickey's Halloween Party perks for Disneyland Passholders - Disneyland Annual Passholders who are attending Mickey's Halloween Party can stop by the Opera House for screenings of Halloween-themed Disney classics plus a tasty treat.
- Tips for using FastPass at Disneyland - With all the talk of Magic Bands and FastPass+ lately, I thought it might be good to remind folks that the Disneyland Resort is still using the "classic" paper FastPass system and maybe pass on a few tips.
- Blog - Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel - Candy Cane Inn
- Save 20% on premium rooms at the Disneyland Resort - Most weeknights this Fall, save 20% on premium rooms at the three hotels of the Disneyland Resort.
- Health Department closes Knott's Berry Farm restaurant
Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant closed briefly due to cockroach infestation.
- Guests stuck on Mickey's Fun Wheel for 90 minutes
Cast members evacuated the passengers by rotating the wheel manually.
- New drawbridge for Sleeping Beauty Castle
Sleeping Beauty Castle has received a new drawbridge and railings.
- Magic Mountain's Colossus Catches Fire
The Colossus roller coaster at Magic Mountain caught fire today. No injuries were reported.
- Military resource support group launches for Disney cast members
The group launched at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World.