San Diego - Disneyland Add On
Disney's Southern California Magic Package gives you the flexibility to combine your stay in Disneyland with a stay in San Diego at one of many beautiful resorts including the Hotel Del Coronado. Get a no obligation Disneyland Package Quote.
San Diego Overview
by Kelsie Johnson
I’ve visited Southern California many times over the years. Even after hearing ‘you MUST visit San Diego’ a hundred or so times, it took a business meeting to get me there for the first time back in the early 90’s. I mean come on, was there really any reason to visit Southern California other than Disneyland? (So I thought). Even though most of our time was spent in conference rooms during that first visit , I saw enough to know it was time to actually plan a family vacation to San Diego. Since then, I’ve visited several times and have added it to my list of "must do's" when in California.
Many aren’t aware that San Diego is California’s 2nd largest city. It took a lot of convincing (and research) for me to believe this since San Diego has such a quaint small town feel. Located next to the beautiful Pacific Ocean with over 70 miles of coastline, world-class attractions and beaches, San Diego also boasts an idea climate with average temperatures in the 70’s, which is quite a relief from the heat of Los Angeles or Orlando.
San Diego offers a variety of attractions that will appeal to almost everyone. At the top of our list is the world renowned ‘San Diego Zoo’. The very cute and sometimes strange animals that appear on the Tonight Show come from here. The zoo has over 100 acres of exhibits that house thousands of animals.
The San Diego Zoo is located in Balboa Park, just north of downtown San Diego. We spent a day here but could have easily used two days to visit, still feeling as if we've missed something. When you go, wear your walking shoes because you are going to want to see it all.
San Diego Zoo Safari Park is located 35 miles north of San Diego (between San Diego and Disneyland. Our visit here was the reason why I had to explain a bit of the ‘facts of life’ to a 5 year old (keep reading, an explanation follows).
Some compare the ‘Safari Park’ to Disney World’s ‘Animal Kingdom’ but in my opinion, I enjoyed the San Diego version more. They offer a lot of the same type of attractions but their ‘Wgasa Bush Line Railway’ ride takes you through remote Africa and Asia enclosures to see the animals as you've never seen them before (and boy do they). And now for the rest of the story……..
We were enjoying our air conditioned ride with my 5 year old pointing out every animal she saw. We came around a corner to an enclosed exhibit. The tour guide explained this was where they keep the animals who were ‘expecting’ (you may see where I’m going here.) The guide decided to stop and point out the HUGE female Hippopotamus who was expecting any day. Well, just as we were about to pull away (you got it), she decided to give birth right there in front of 100 men, women and CHILDREN! Personally I thought it was awesome until my 5 year old asked me how she did that. Needless to say, I quickly pointed out the antelope on the other side of the tram and off we went. But at 5 years old her curiosity got the best of her and this is where my daughter had her first and HIGH LEVEL ‘facts of life’ talk.
Another attraction that I enjoyed more than the Florida counterpart was San Diego’s ‘Sea World’. Located in Mission Bay , Sea World is easily accessible from any part of the city. Again we spent one day here but could have easily planned more. Rides such as ‘Journey to Atlantis’ (this is a great ride), ‘Wild Arctic’ and ‘Shipwreck Rapids’ and attractions like ‘Shamu’s Happy Harbor’ and ‘Shark Encounter’ make ‘Sea World’ a must see when visiting San Diego.
‘Legoland California’ located 30 minutes north of San Diego is cashing in on the current ‘Pirate’ craze with it’s own swashbuckling adventure ‘Pirate Shores’. New pirate treasures include ‘Splash Battle’ where, behind your own water cannon, you’ll navigate through pirate-infested waters. ‘Swabbies Deck’ for the younger kids is full of surprise water jets, fountains and cannons. Soak-N-Sail has over 60 interactive activities that spray hundreds of gallons of water on unsuspecting pirates.
Pirates and scallywags can also feast at their choice of two pirate themed meals. 'Buccaneers Breakfast’ and ‘Pirates Feast’ are offered for an additional charge with an admission ticket. Your kids and you will be amazed by the Lego exhibits here not to mention the over 50 rides, shows and attractions.
To the south, there's Mexico, featuring various towns along the border and coastline, including Tijuana, Rosarito and Ensenada. Visiting here can be a challenge so make sure you do your homework and are prepared.
With over 6,400 dining options, 92 golf courses, beachfront resorts, spas, gaming, festivals, museums, art galleries and rich military history it’s no wonder San Diego is one of the most visited cities in Southern California.
- VIDEO: DIS Unplugged - Live From Aulani - 05/21/13 - Follow along with us as we go beyond the parks!
- VIDEO: Mickey and the Magical Map - Video of the brand-new show, "Mickey and the Magical Map" at Disneyland.
- VIDEO: Disney Beyond The Parks - Producing the Aulani Live Show - Visit http://www.wdwinfo.com/beyondtheparks/#hawaii to view the full DIS Unplugged show from Aulani in Hawaii. For the latest updates on our trip to Aulani and Hawaii, visit http://new.livestream.com/TheDIS/aulani Join the DIS Team as we explore Disney beyond the parks, starting with Aulani, a Disney Resort and Spa in Hawaii!
- Southern California CityPass price increase June 3rd - Beginning June 3rd, the price for the Southern California CityPass will increase. Adults will be $319, children will be $279. Attractions will remain the same. Passes purchased prior to June 3rd are valid through January 4th.
- Follow along as the DIS goes... Beyond The Parks!! - Members of the DIS Unplugged podcast team are headed to Disney's Aulani Resort, sailing on an Alaskan Disney cruise and taking an Adventures by Disney Backstage Magic trip!
- Blog - Help! A Walt Disney World Vet’s First Time at Disneyland – Part 5
- Watch our live broadcast from Disney's Aulani Resort - Tue. May 21 at 8pm EDT - Disney... Beyond The Parks! Come with us as we visit Disney's Aulani Resort, sail on an Alaskan Disney cruise, and take an Adventures By Disney trip! We're kicking off the trip with a live broadcast from Disney's Aulani Resort - Tue. May 21, 2013 8:00pm EDT.
- HalloweenTime at Disneyland begins September 13! - HalloweenTime at the Disneyland Resort, including Haunted Mansion Holiday and Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy, begins September 13, 2013. Mickey's Halloween Party begins September 30, 2013.
- Swing dancing returns to Disneyland Park beginning June 15th - Swing Dancing returns to the former Carnation Plaza Gardens (now Fantasy Faire) stage on a limited basis beginning June 15th!
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Disneyland - Rivers of America - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Disneyland.
- 2014 dates chosen for DIS-exclusive Backstage Magic trips - Three dates have been selected for 2014 Adventures by Disney Backstage Magic trips with members of the DIS Unplugged podcast team!
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Disneyland - Indiana Jones Queue - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Disneyland.
- Woody's All-American Roundup at Disneyland this Summer - Beginning June 14th, Sheriff Woody will be bringing his Talent Roundup to the stage at the Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree. Woody and Jessie will be entertaining guests with their lasso skills and slingshot tricks, plus greeting guests along with Mickey and Minnie.
- Limited Time Magic: Disneyland Passholder Animation Academy - Annual Passholders are invited to learn to draw a classic Disney character and hear behind-the scenes stores from Disney Animator Eric Goldberg. The event will be held at 3pm, 4pm, 5pm and 6pm in the Disney Animation building at Disney California Adventure. Passholders must register in person the day of the event.
- WonderGround Gallery to host Cocktail Party for Hipster Collection - In celebration of the new "Happiest Hipster on Earth" collection, Disneyland Resort's WonderGround Gallery will be hosting a Cocktail Reception featuring an artist signing opportunity with Jerrod Maruyama. Tickets go on sale May 21st.
- New Disneyland restaurant reservation policy delayed indefinitely! - The new Disneyland Resort policy requiring a credit card for reservations at Disney owned restaurants that was to go in effect soon has been delayed indefinitely.
- Disneyland's Magical fireworks now Glow with the Show - Disneyland's Summer Fireworks, Magical, now incorporates the Glow with the Show ears. Also on select days, guests wearing them can access a special viewing area.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Grand Californian Hotel - Lobby - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Disneyland.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Disneyland Hotel - Pool - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Disneyland.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Cars Land - Cozy Cone Motel - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Disneyland.
- Blog - New Disney Dooney & Bourke Release This Summer
- VIDEO: Memories of the Disneyland Resort Hotels - Visit http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/ for more information on the Disneyland Resort.
- Blog - Help! A Walt Disney World Vet’s First Time at Disneyland – Part 4
- Blog - Disneyland 101 – Dining Strategies
- Calfornia adjusts safety citations and fines against Disneyland
California agency reduces violations and associated fines that came as a result of April 13th closure of three major attractions.
- Space Mountain reopens at Disneyland
After a safety-related closure, Space Mountain is back open.
- Disney contractor fined by Cal-OSHA
A Disney contractor was fined in relation to the incident in November where a worker fell from the roof of Space Mountain.
- Updated: 3 Major attractions suddenly closed at Disneyland
Several major attractions closed at the Disneyland Resort.
- No more free coffee refills on Disneyland's Main Street U.S.A.
Market House at Disneyland will not offer free coffee refills after it changes into a Starbucks this fall.