Fun things to do at the Disneyland Resort
By Mary Jo Willey
Disneyland Travel Specialist
The Disneyland Resort has a lot of details that many people overlook. Some guests are so busy that they just don’t take the time to enjoy the little things that make the Disneyland Resort so magical. These items were compiled from suggestions made by people who love to go to Disneyland. Check off º as you find each item just for the fun of it.
º Have a Churro
º Eat some freshly made fudge or brittle
º Get a bread bowl with soup, chili or gumbo
º Have something for breakfast that you would normally never have—like an ice cream cone!
º Press a penny (There are over 50 machines and it costs 50 cents to press a penny – makes a nice little souvenir collection)
º Smell your hand after you get a hand stamp; ask what character it is.
º Spend time watching the villain characters interacting with the guests.
º Enjoy some Disneyland Resort popcorn.
º Look at whomever you are with during the "black light" portions of the dark rides & see how you glow in the dark.
º Talk to the Cast Members when you are standing in line or waiting for a parade.
º Try the frozen lemonade
º Get to Disneyland early one day so you’re right by the rope at the end of Main Street for rope drop. When they finally drop the rope and let everyone in, dash ahead to the Partners statue. Turn around and watch the mass of people coming toward you.
º Stop at Main Street City Hall for a Special Occasion button if you're celebrating an event
º Look at the Petrified Tree in Frontierland by the Rivers of America
º While in line for Peter Pan, watch the window above Snow White. You will see the wicked queen come out.
º Sit and watch the ducks in Rivers of America and imagine what it is like to live at Disneyland
º Check out the little characters that are in the outdoor popcorn carts turning the popcorn. Each land and popcorn cart has a different one.
º At the Market store on Main Street there are old phones. Pick one up and listen to the party line.
º Watch the flag retreat ceremony at dusk in Town Square.
º Go to the Disney Gallery & enjoy the artwork
º Touch the brass apple at the entrance to Snow White.
º Look for the old witch in the cage at the Let Bat en Rouge in New Orleans Square & turn the key to the cage. She will talk to you.
º Listen to the activity coming from the windows of Main Street near the lockers and New Orleans Square by the train station
º Check out the interesting things in the bazaar store in Adventureland. Find the brass lamp in the store and listen to its secrets (50 cents)
º Ask politely to ride in the caboose on the Disneyland Railroad.
º At the rope drop, dash ahead and be the first through the castle. You will feel just like Walt must have, strolling all alone through the archway of the castle in the morning.
º Enjoy a Dole Whip by the Tiki Room
º Enter Disneyland through the left tunnel the first time through
º Enter Disneyland through the right tunnel the second time through
º Enjoy a teriyaki stick at Bengal’s Barbecue at Adventureland
º Get a coke at Coke Corner, sit back and listen to the piano tunes.
º Go on Pirates of the Caribbean on a weekday night. It is a different experience when there is no other boat in the same room.
º Go to the hat shop in Fantasyland. Check out the mirror on the back wall. Watch carefully.
º Talk to Push the trashcan at Tomorrowland
º Turn the 1000 pound marble ball floating on water by Space Mountain
º Keep a close eye out for Disney kitties.
º Knock on the door of the wheelhouse of the Mark Twain and ask politely if you can ride up there.
º Drink a mint julep at New Orleans Square
º Check out the Windows on Main Street – Look for Ron Dominguez Orange Grove – Walt Disney bought the land for Disneyland from his father & he worked for Disneyland
º Look for the horseshoe prints in the ground in Frontierland
º Shoot at targets in the Shooting Gallery
º Play with the interactive elements on Tarzan’s Treehouse
º Start your day at the Jolly Holiday Bakery on Main Street. Grab a latte and then go to the porch on Main Street and sit in the rocking chairs. Relax and people watch.
º Look at the reflection of the castle in the moat at night.
º Look for the abominable snowman’s footprint around the Matterhorn.
º Look for the brass spike in the ground. (Hint: Somewhere in Fantasyland near the castle)
º Make a wish at Snow White’s wishing well; listen for her singing.
º Read the dedication plaque at Town Square.
º Ride the following at night for a different experience: Casey Jr., Splash Mtn, Matterhorn, Autopia, Storybook Land Canal Boats, Jungle Cruise, Thunder Mtn RR
º Check out the light in Walt’s apartment above the Fire Department on Main Street
º Spend time in Toon Town: open the mailboxes, drink some Goofy water, pull on knobs and take in the silly architecture.
º Stop to admire the swans in the moat.
º Stroll through the park at night when the twinkle lights come on.
º Take a ride down Main Street on any of the vehicles.
º Try to pull the Sword out of the Stone
º Use the prince/princess bathrooms in Fantasyland and feel royal.
º Visit Walt and Mickey’s statue at the hub. Look for Walt’s Mickey ring
º Walk around the back way from Fantasyland going left which circles around back by the barbeque area to Big Thunder Mountain
º Watch the black and white Mickey short cartoons at Main Street Cinema.
º Find Jingles the lead horse on King Arthur’s Carrousel
º Find the address 33 at New Orleans Square – that is the entrance to the exclusive Club 33 (membership required)
º Ride the Columbia Ship and go down below to the crews’ quarters to check out the museum down there
Disney California Adventure
º Visit the River Creek Challenge Trail area next to Grizzly River Run at California Adventure, especially if you have small children.
º In Flik’s Fun Fair, look for the four-leaf clover.
º Take time for the sourdough bread factory tour.
º Get a free chocolate sample at the Ghirardelli store.
º If it is hot, stand under the Space Shuttle engine and wait for a misty surprise.
º When you ride Soarin’ ask the CM if you could ride in the front row
º Sit in Paradise Park, munch a corn dog and watch Screamin’ launch across the Bay.
º Look for the Hidden Mickey on Soaring Over California when Michael Eisner hits the golf ball
º Take time to enjoy the Muppet’s queue and Animation Courtyard.
º Go to Off the Page store and look for the characters who’ve escaped off the pages. They’re all around the store
º Watch Five & Dime or the Red Car Newsboys on Buena Vista Street.
º Check out the symbols in the Sorcerer’s Workshop at the Animation Building – Find Walt Disney's picture. Look at the details in the Beast’s library and watch the picture for a change.
Disneyland Resort Hotels and Downtown Disney
º Take the free Arts & Crafts Tour at the Grand Californian Hotel
º Steer a remote controlled jungle cruise boat near Rainforest Cafe
º Check out the street performers in Downtown Disney at night.
º Enjoy the Native American story time at the Grand Californian fireplace.
º Check out the memorabilia in the main building of the Disneyland Hotel.
º Look for Hidden Mickeys at the Grand Californian Grand Lobby
º Relax to the piano player in the Grand Californian’s Great Hall.
º Learn about the macaws and cockatoos in front of the Rainforest Café
º Watch a movie at the AMC Theaters
_____ Number of random things done just for fun
Printer Friendly page
- Blog - Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel - Candy Cane Inn
- Save 20% on premium rooms at the Disneyland Resort - Most weeknights this Fall, save 20% on premium rooms at the three hotels of the Disneyland Resort.
- Blog - What to Expect at Disney's D23 Destination D Event this November
- Menu updated at Flo's V8 Cafe - Flo's V8 Café at California Adventure has updated its menu, adding a couple of hot sandwiches and replacing the pork loin with BBQ pork ribs.
- Disneyland delays Elsa & Anna's Boutique transformation - The transformation of Downtown Disney's Studio Disney 365 to Elsa & Anna's Boutique has been delayed. The new opening date is 10/06/14.
- Blog - Disney Opposes "Inflammatory" Amended Complaint in DAS Lawsuit
- Blog - The Good and Bad of "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" on Blu-ray
- 4D preview of Big Hero 6 at Disneyland Park - Beginning September 26th, the Magic Eye Theater in Disneyland Park will host a 4D preview of the upcoming animated feature "Big Hero 6".
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 09/15/14
- Blog - HalloweenTime at Disneyland 2014
- Blog - Tom & West's 5 Favorite Thrills at Magic Mountain
- Top 5 ways to celebrate HalloweenTime at Disneyland - Disneyland Park goes all out for the Halloween season, from the front of the Park to the back. Starting in mid-September and continuing through the holiday itself, the Park and the characters, are decked in their Fall finest.
- Mickey's Halloween Party sold out for Halloween Night - Mickey's Halloween party at Disneyland is now sold out for three dates: 09/26, 10/03 and 10/31.
- Disneyland confirms return of Winter Dreams and Viva Navidad - The Disneyland Resort has announced the dates for the holiday celebrations and confirmed the return of World of Color-Winter Dreams and Viva Navidad.
- Mahaloween Luau coming to Trader Sam's - Celebrate Halloween a bit early at Trader Sam's with its Mahaloween Luau on 09/29/14. Tickets are $125 and go on sale 09/10/14.
- Mystic Magic Show added to Big Thunder Ranch Halloween Carnival - New on the stage this year at Disneyland's Halloween Carnival is the Mystic Magic Show, featuring jugglers, magicians and fortune tellers.
- FastPass testing at Disneyland's Frozen meet & greet - Disneyland is now testing a FastPass-like system for the Frozen meet & greet in Fantasyland.
- VIDEO: Cruising Around Hawaii - Explore the Hawaiian islands of Maui, Hawai'i, and Kauai while sailing onboard Norwegians Cruise Line's Pride of America.
- VIDEO: Driving Around Oahu - Explore the island of Oahu by driving around to different unique locations. Ted's Bakery, Haleiwa, Matsumoto's Shave Ice, and many others make Oahu a great place to find local treasures.
- Meet Oswald the Lucky Rabbit at California Adventure - Beginning 09/14/14, guests can meet Oswald the Lucky Rabbit on Buena Vista Street at California Adventure.
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 09/01/14
- Blog - The Good and Bad of "Toy Story of TERROR!" on Blu-ray
- Legends of Frontierland extended at Disneyland Park - Legends of Frontierland, the interactive experience at Disneyland Park, has been extended past the previously announced September 1st end date.
- VIDEO - Frozen Fireworks Multi-Angle Full Show - “Frozen” Fireworks Spectacular – Everything wraps up at 9:45 p.m. when Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, and Olaf come together at the Sorcerer’s Hat Icon Stage for a grand finale to the day’s festivities, kicking off an awe-inspiring fireworks display set to the glorious music of “Frozen!”
- Magic Mountain announces Twisted Colossus - Southern California's Six Flags Magic Mountain announced that they are transforming their classic wooden coaster into a record-breaking wooden/steel hybrid.
- Disneyland adds Frozen pre-parade to Mickey's Halloween Party - The stars of Frozen will appear on their special pre-parade float prior to each Mickey's Costume Party cavalcade.
- Blog - Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel - Cortona Inn & Suites
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 08/25/14
- Mickey's Halloween Party tickets sold out for 10/03/14 - Tickets for the 10/03/14 date for Mickey's Halloween Party at Disneyland are sold out. Other dates are still available.
- Blog - Beyond Aulani
- Blog - New Tour Review: The Disney California Story
- VIDEO: What's New at Aulani - Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa has many new offerings. Quick service at Ulu Cafe, kids splash zone at Keiki Cove, two new pools, and much more.
- Elsa & Anna's Boutique coming to Disneyland - Studio Disney 365 in Disneyland's Downtown Disney will be closing August 25th to make way for Elsa & Anna's Boutique.
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 08/18/14
- Blog - The Good and Bad of the "Muppets Most Wanted" Blu-ray
- Magic Mountain's Colossus Catches Fire
The Colossus roller coaster at Magic Mountain caught fire today. No injuries were reported.
- Military resource support group launches for Disney cast members
The group launched at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World.
- Eight new "Disney Family of Wines" come to California Adventure
The wineries represented all have a personal connection to the Disney name.
- Small fire at Disneyland quickly extinguished
The fire was in a backstage area.
- runDisney announces Disneyland Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend
The event will take place January 15-18, 2015 at the Disneyland Resort.