Fun things to do at the Disneyland Resort
By Mary Jo Willey
Disneyland Travel Specialist
The Disneyland Resort has a lot of details that many people overlook. Some guests are so busy that they just don’t take the time to enjoy the little things that make the Disneyland Resort so magical. These items were compiled from suggestions made by people who love to go to Disneyland. Check off º as you find each item just for the fun of it.
º Have a Churro
º Eat some freshly made fudge or brittle
º Get a bread bowl with soup, chili or gumbo
º Have something for breakfast that you would normally never have—like an ice cream cone!
º Press a penny (There are over 50 machines and it costs 50 cents to press a penny – makes a nice little souvenir collection)
º Smell your hand after you get a hand stamp; ask what character it is.
º Spend time watching the villain characters interacting with the guests.
º Enjoy some Disneyland Resort popcorn.
º Look at whomever you are with during the "black light" portions of the dark rides & see how you glow in the dark.
º Talk to the Cast Members when you are standing in line or waiting for a parade.
º Try the frozen lemonade
º Get to Disneyland early one day so you’re right by the rope at the end of Main Street for rope drop. When they finally drop the rope and let everyone in, dash ahead to the Partners statue. Turn around and watch the mass of people coming toward you.
º Stop at Main Street City Hall for a Special Occasion button if you're celebrating an event
º Look at the Petrified Tree in Frontierland by the Rivers of America
º While in line for Peter Pan, watch the window above Snow White. You will see the wicked queen come out.
º Sit and watch the ducks in Rivers of America and imagine what it is like to live at Disneyland
º Check out the little characters that are in the outdoor popcorn carts turning the popcorn. Each land and popcorn cart has a different one.
º At the Market store on Main Street there are old phones. Pick one up and listen to the party line.
º Watch the flag retreat ceremony at dusk in Town Square.
º Go to the Disney Gallery & enjoy the artwork
º Touch the brass apple at the entrance to Snow White.
º Look for the old witch in the cage at the Let Bat en Rouge in New Orleans Square & turn the key to the cage. She will talk to you.
º Listen to the activity coming from the windows of Main Street near the lockers and New Orleans Square by the train station
º Check out the interesting things in the bazaar store in Adventureland. Find the brass lamp in the store and listen to its secrets (50 cents)
º Ask politely to ride in the caboose on the Disneyland Railroad.
º At the rope drop, dash ahead and be the first through the castle. You will feel just like Walt must have, strolling all alone through the archway of the castle in the morning.
º Enjoy a Dole Whip by the Tiki Room
º Enter Disneyland through the left tunnel the first time through
º Enter Disneyland through the right tunnel the second time through
º Enjoy a teriyaki stick at Bengal’s Barbecue at Adventureland
º Get a coke at Coke Corner, sit back and listen to the piano tunes.
º Go on Pirates of the Caribbean on a weekday night. It is a different experience when there is no other boat in the same room.
º Go to the hat shop in Fantasyland. Check out the mirror on the back wall. Watch carefully.
º Talk to Push the trashcan at Tomorrowland
º Turn the 1000 pound marble ball floating on water by Space Mountain
º Keep a close eye out for Disney kitties.
º Knock on the door of the wheelhouse of the Mark Twain and ask politely if you can ride up there.
º Drink a mint julep at New Orleans Square
º Check out the Windows on Main Street – Look for Ron Dominguez Orange Grove – Walt Disney bought the land for Disneyland from his father & he worked for Disneyland
º Look for the horseshoe prints in the ground in Frontierland
º Shoot at targets in the Shooting Gallery
º Play with the interactive elements on Tarzan’s Treehouse
º Start your day at the Jolly Holiday Bakery on Main Street. Grab a latte and then go to the porch on Main Street and sit in the rocking chairs. Relax and people watch.
º Look at the reflection of the castle in the moat at night.
º Look for the abominable snowman’s footprint around the Matterhorn.
º Look for the brass spike in the ground. (Hint: Somewhere in Fantasyland near the castle)
º Make a wish at Snow White’s wishing well; listen for her singing.
º Read the dedication plaque at Town Square.
º Ride the following at night for a different experience: Casey Jr., Splash Mtn, Matterhorn, Autopia, Storybook Land Canal Boats, Jungle Cruise, Thunder Mtn RR
º Check out the light in Walt’s apartment above the Fire Department on Main Street
º Spend time in Toon Town: open the mailboxes, drink some Goofy water, pull on knobs and take in the silly architecture.
º Stop to admire the swans in the moat.
º Stroll through the park at night when the twinkle lights come on.
º Take a ride down Main Street on any of the vehicles.
º Try to pull the Sword out of the Stone
º Use the prince/princess bathrooms in Fantasyland and feel royal.
º Visit Walt and Mickey’s statue at the hub. Look for Walt’s Mickey ring
º Walk around the back way from Fantasyland going left which circles around back by the barbeque area to Big Thunder Mountain
º Watch the black and white Mickey short cartoons at Main Street Cinema.
º Find Jingles the lead horse on King Arthur’s Carrousel
º Find the address 33 at New Orleans Square – that is the entrance to the exclusive Club 33 (membership required)
º Ride the Columbia Ship and go down below to the crews’ quarters to check out the museum down there
Disney California Adventure
º Visit the River Creek Challenge Trail area next to Grizzly River Run at California Adventure, especially if you have small children.
º In Flik’s Fun Fair, look for the four-leaf clover.
º Take time for the sourdough bread factory tour.
º Get a free chocolate sample at the Ghirardelli store.
º If it is hot, stand under the Space Shuttle engine and wait for a misty surprise.
º When you ride Soarin’ ask the CM if you could ride in the front row
º Sit in Paradise Park, munch a corn dog and watch Screamin’ launch across the Bay.
º Look for the Hidden Mickey on Soaring Over California when Michael Eisner hits the golf ball
º Take time to enjoy the Muppet’s queue and Animation Courtyard.
º Go to Off the Page store and look for the characters who’ve escaped off the pages. They’re all around the store
º Watch Five & Dime or the Red Car Newsboys on Buena Vista Street.
º Check out the symbols in the Sorcerer’s Workshop at the Animation Building – Find Walt Disney's picture. Look at the details in the Beast’s library and watch the picture for a change.
Disneyland Resort Hotels and Downtown Disney
º Take the free Arts & Crafts Tour at the Grand Californian Hotel
º Steer a remote controlled jungle cruise boat near Rainforest Cafe
º Check out the street performers in Downtown Disney at night.
º Enjoy the Native American story time at the Grand Californian fireplace.
º Check out the memorabilia in the main building of the Disneyland Hotel.
º Look for Hidden Mickeys at the Grand Californian Grand Lobby
º Relax to the piano player in the Grand Californian’s Great Hall.
º Learn about the macaws and cockatoos in front of the Rainforest Café
º Watch a movie at the AMC Theaters
_____ Number of random things done just for fun
Printer Friendly page
- Blog - Preview: “Saving Mr. Banks”
- Special menu items for New Year's Eve at Disneyland - Many of the restaurants of the Disneyland Resort will be offering special menu items for New Year's Eve, including a Seafood Pot Pie at Blue Bayou and Surf & Turf at Carnation Café.
- Jerry Bruckheimer book signing at Disneyland Park - Award-winning producer Jerry Bruckheimer will be appearing for a special signing of "Jerry Bruckheimer: When Lightning Strikes | Four Decades of Filmmaking" by Michael Singer on December 14th.
- Elf Days at California Adventure - Santa's elves are looking for recruits to join their ranks 12/09/13 through 12/15/13. Head to the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail where you can test your bravery with the Jingle Bell Bridge, tackle Present Tracking or learn the secret Elf Handshake.
- Blog - EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW with Jonathan Groff from FROZEN
- VIDEO: "In Summer" from Disney's "Frozen" in "World of Color - Winter Dreams" - "In Summer," sung by Josh Gad from Walt Disney Animation's 53rd animated feature "Frozen," has been been adapted for the brand new "World of Color - Winter Dreams" at Disney California Adventure.
- Blog - Brewing Now: Joffrey’s Disney Parks Collection of Coffees
- VIDEO: "A Christmas Fantasy" Parade at Disneyland - Join Mickey and the Disneyland Characters for a celebration of Christmas along Main Street USA. This parade is a yearly tradition, delighting guests of all ages as they enjoy the antics of Disney characters dancing alongside gingerbread men, snowflakes, and other Christmas characters.
- VIDEO: Santa Talks Holidays at Disneyland Resort 2013 - Join Tom Bell, host of the DIS Unplugged Disneyland Edition, as he speaks with Santa about all of the holiday happenings at Disneyland Resort.
- VIDEO: Making Tamales at Viva Navidad! at Disney California Adventure 2013 - Join Tom Bell, host of the DIS Unplugged Disneyland Edition, while he learns about Viva Navidad! and how to make tamales from Rubia, a pastry chef at Disneyland Resort.
- VIDEO: "Let It Go" from Disney's "Frozen" in "World of Color - Winter Dreams" - "Let It Go," sung by broadway star Idina Menzel from Walt Disney Animation's 53rd animated feature "Frozen," has been been adapted for the brand new "World of Color - Winter Dreams" at Disney California Adventure. "World of Color" is the nighttime colored fountain show at DCA and has been performed since 2010. "Winter Dreams" is the first full show variation.
- VIDEO: World of Color Fountain Controls at Disney California Adventure 2013 - Join Tom Bell, host of the DIS Unplugged Disneyland Edition, as he speaks with Rene from Disney Parks and Resorts about the technology behind World of Color - Winter Dreams, the nighttime fountain show at Disney California Adventure.
- Donate to Toys For Tots at the Disneyland Resort - Donate a new, unwrapped toy at several locations throughout Downtown Disney and the Disneyland Resort Hotels from 12/1 through 12/14.
- VIDEO: Haunted Mansion Holiday 2013 at Disneyland - Jack Skellington takes over the Haunted Mansion to bring Christmas to Halloweentown in Haunted Mansion Holiday, the seasonal overlay that is celebrating its 13th year at Disneyland Resort.
- VIDEO: World of Color - Winter Dreams - For the Christmas season, Disney California Adventure Park presents 'World of Color - Winter Dreams' a brand new holiday version of World of Color starring Olaf (voiced by Josh Gad), the lovable snowman from Disney's "Frozen," a Toy Story Nutcracker sequence and a special intro featuring the Honor Choir.
- Aulani named Best for Families by Fodor's Travel - Aulani was recently named "Best for Families" by Fodor's Travel in their "Top 10 Hawaiian Resorts for 2013" list.
- VIDEO: Disneyland's 'Jingle Cruise' Queue and Full POV Ride-Through - The Jungle Cruise Skippers have grown homesick for the holidays, so they've added holiday cheer to the queue and boathouse with decorations that have been mailed to them from home (plus a few they've created themselves). Other changes include new jokes, boat names and music loop in the queue.
- TubaChristmas returns to the Disneyland Resort - Hundreds of tuba players will gather in Downtown Disney to perform holiday music on December 21st at 1:00pm.
- Blog - Review: “Frozen”
- Blog - Trader Sam’s Mixes Up Holiday Drinks
- VIDEO: Olaf's Ice Rink in Downtown Disney at Disneyland Resort - This year at Downtown Disney, the ice rink created for the holiday season is based off of the 53rd Disney Animated Film "Frozen". Olaf's Ice Rink allows guests to lace up skates and hit the ice, but if you're not adventurous then you can do some shopping at the holiday themed stands.
- VIDEO: Christmas in Cars Land at Disney California Adventure - Seasons Speedings! Cars Land, the popular area at Disney California Adventure based off of the Disney-Pixar film "Cars", has received a holiday overlay making the streets of Radiator Springs merrier than ever.
- Limited Time Magic: Jingle Cruise poster giveaway - Celebrate the Jingle Cruise at Magic Kingdom and Disneyland Park with a complimentary mini poster while supplies last.
- Blog - Disney’s Newest Animated Feature “Frozen” Flurries Into Theme Parks On Both Coasts
- Knott's Berry Farm announces major plans for 2014 - Knott's Berry farm is planning a major refurbishment for the Calico Mine Ride beginning in January, plus new rides and an entire restoration to celebrate Camp Snoopy's 30th Anniversary.
- Blog - EXCLUSIVE: Nikon becomes the Official Camera of Walt Disney World and Disneyland
- Disneyland announces more lengthy closures for early 2014 - In addition to the 4-month closure for Alice in Wonderland, the Disneyland Resort has also announced a 8-month closure for Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage and a nearly 4-month closure for Soarin' Over California.
- VIDEO: Toy Story Nutcracker from "World of Color - Winter Dreams" - Toy Story Nutcracker is a special sequence created by Pixar specifically for "World of Color - Winter Dreams", the nighttime fountain show at Disney California Adventure. Your favorite Toy Story characters dance to Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite songs including March of the Wooden Soldier, Trepak, Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy, Chinese Dance and Dance of the Flowers.
- Viva Navidad menu takes over Paradise Garden Grill - A special Viva Navidad menu is being served at California Adventure's Paradise Garden Grill, featuring Street Style Tacos, Chicken Mole and Torta al Pastor.
- VIDEO: Josh Gad - Voice of Olaf in "Frozen" - Interview - Josh Gad, the voice of Olaf in "Frozen" and "World of Color - Winter Dreams" and Tony Award nominee for "The Book of Mormon", takes a few minutes to talk about how important it was to work on a Disney film that led to a theme park experience and the music behind it all.
- VIDEO: Believe...In Holiday Magic Fireworks Spectacular - For the Christmas season, Disneyland Park presents 'Believe...In Holiday Magic Fireworks Spectacular,' a holiday fireworks show over Sleeping Beauty Castle which ends with magical snowfall over Main Street U.S.A.
- Firefighters called for smoke at Disneyland
Smoke was seen coming from a Disneyland storage facility.
- Billy Hill and the Hillbillies leaving Disneyland Park in January
20-year veterans of the park, the group will hold its final performance January 6, 2014.
- Couple gets married on Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean ride
A Disney-loving couple held a secret wedding on Pirates of the Caribbean.
- Disney's Jungle Cruise getting a holiday makeover
The Jungle Cruise at both the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland Park will be transforming into the "Jingle Cruise" this holiday season.
- The View to broadcast live from Disneyland in November
The show will tape November 18-22.