It seems like just yesterday Star Wars Rebels was announced and soon after we saw our first glimpse of Ezra, Sabine, and Chopper. Three seasons have come and gone with only one season remaining before the show comes to an end, and fans have come to embrace these further adventures in the Star Wars universe that help tie together The Clone Wars, Rogue One, and the original Star Wars trilogy. Favorite characters continue to take on new roles and challenges, while popular villain General Admiral Thrawn begins to take over Imperial efforts and make the Empire a greater threat to the Rebellion than ever before. Star Wars Rebels is a ton of fun and I highly recommend giving it a watch even if you consider yourself nothing more than just a casual Star Wars fan.
As for picking up Star Wars Rebels: Complete Season 3 on Blu-ray or DVD, it depends on a couple of things. If you own Seasons 1 and 2 then this is absolutely something you should purchase. All 22 episodes of the series are spread out over 3 discs with a variety of bonus features, and you couldn’t ask for much more with this release. The audio is booming, exactly as you would expect with any Star Wars release, and the video is about as perfect as you could get for the CG animated style. Let’s take a look at the bonus features that could end up sealing the deal on this sale.
- Rebels Recon – In case you aren’t a massive Star Wars Rebels fan, Rebels Recon is an online short recap series that focuses on a behind-the-scenes look at the making of each episode with the series creators. It is nice to have these as an extra on this Blu-ray set, especially since you can turn them on right after watching each episode, but these are all hosted on YouTube and very easily accessible. In short, they are more or less filler bonus features.
- A Rebel Alliance – This short focuses on the formation of the Rebel Alliance throughout Star Wars Rebels and shows a lot of the correlation with Rogue One, including the importance of fleshing out Mon Mothma in Rebels and the appearance of the Ghost and Chopper in Rogue One. This featurette is actually extremely entertaining and adds some hype for Season 4 and hopefully more crossover between Rogue One and Rebels.
- Return to Mandalore – This featurette focuses on Mandalore and its prominence in Season 3, specifically with Sabine and the Darksaber. This one is very interesting for those who are obsessed with the background of the Mandolorians.
- Thrawn: A Legend Reborn – For those who aren’t super familiar with the origins of Thrawn and only know him from Rebels and the latest book by Timothy Zahn, you’ll want to check out this featurette to discover why Thrawn is so important and where he came from in the Star Wars Legends.
- Apprentices to Outcasts: Kenobi and Maul – This short focuses on Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Maul and their clashes throughout Star Wars history. It explains why the decision was made to – SPOILER – finally kill of Maul – END SPOILER – and conclude the story of the two adversaries.
- The Original Rebel: Saw Gerrera Returns – Extended – This short focuses on Forest Whitaker’s character, Saw Gerrera, who got his start in The Clone Wars and continued his importance in Rebels and Rogue One.
The highlight bonus features in my opinion are A Rebel Alliance and Thrawn: A Legend Reborn, but all of the featurettes are very entertaining. Along with these special features is also five audio commentaries featuring Dave Filoni (Executive Producer), Justin Ridge (Supervising Director), Kilian Plunkett (Art Director), Keith Kellogg (Animation Supervisor) and Joel Aron (CG Supervisor: Lighting & FX).
If you own Star Wars Rebels Seasons 1 and 2, make sure to pick up Season 3 on Blu-ray or DVD and complete your collection before the fourth and final season premieres on Disney XD this fall!