2018 has been an exciting year for fans of Star Wars animated shows. Just recently at San Diego Comic-Con, it was announced that Star Wars: The Clone Wars would be revived for Disney’s upcoming streaming platform. This fills a big gap left with the conclusion of Star Wars Rebels, which had its final episode back in March. The series may be over, but the action can still be enjoyed now from start to finish thanks to the release of Star Wars Rebels: The Complete Fourth Season on Blu-ray and DVD!
Want a chance to win Star Wars Rebels: The Complete Fourth Season on Blu-ray? Check out our post below from Twitter to see how you can bring home a free copy!
— The DIS (@TheDIS) July 31, 2018
Season 4 of Star Wars Rebels is by far the standout of the series and truly makes you wish that it wasn’t ending so early into its run – but it’s better to have a great ending than none at all. The action and intensity in the fourth season doesn’t slow down at any point, and the writing and story arcs have gotten so much better that Star Wars Rebels feels cinematic and too cramped for the small screen at certain points. If you haven’t given the series a shot, what are you waiting for? Start at the beginning and trudge through some not-so-great moments to get to this epic finale and you’ll develop a true affinity for Ezra, Sabine, Hera, Kanan, Zeb, and Chopper.
Let’s take a look at the bonus features included on the Star Wars: The Complete Fourth Season to see if it might help with your purchasing decision.
- Rebels Recon – If you’re unfamiliar with Rebels Recon, it is a behind-the-scenes show released on the official Star Wars YouTube channel that features interviews with the cast and crew as a semi documentary/commentary for each episode. For the fourth season of Star Wars Rebels, there were 8 episodes of Rebels Recon with some episodes tackling multiple episodes at once. All of them are included in the special features (and can be watched anytime on YouTube).
- Audio Commentary – Dave Filoni, the mastermind behind Star Wars Rebels and Star Wars: The Clone Wars, sits down to share some insight for six different episodes. Listening to Filoni discuss anything Star Wars is fascinating for the biggest fans, but definitely not for the casual fan.
- Ghosts of Legend – This multi-part series is a retrospective of the members of the Ghost crew including Ezra, Hera, Kanan, and more through the voice artists that bring the characters to life as well as the creative minds behind the show, and Dave Filoni. This special feature is actually a perfect recap for those who haven’t watched earlier episodes and seasons in quite awhile and may have forgotten details about their favorite characters.
- Force of Rebellion – This special feature is hosted by Dave Filoni as he explains the importance of the Force through Star Wars Rebels as well as the rest of the Star Wars movies. While some may see it as a filler piece, it actually helps strengthen the connection between the different works in the Star Wars saga.
- Kevin Kiner: The Rebel Symphony – This is a behind-the-scenes look at how the score was created for Star Wars Rebels. Special features surrounding scores don’t appear very often and despite it being on the short side, there is a ton of explanation on the decisions being made when scoring the series. This is BY FAR the standout feature included, especially if you are a fan of music in movies and television.
If you already own Star Wars Rebels Seasons 1-3 on Blu-ray or DVD then you absolutely should pick up Season 4 to complete the collection, and it doesn’t hurt that it is the best season of the series. If you haven’t invested any time or energy in the show, I would still consider picking up this season as well as the rest and start playing catch up. It will most likely be available in its entirety on Disney’s upcoming streaming service, but that won’t happen until sometime in 2019. Episode IX also won’t release until 2019, so you have to find a way to fill your life with Star Wars. Maybe that involves reading the novels or rewatching the old films and The Clone Wars, but I highly suggest adding this series to your list.