Disney CEO Bob Iger will host the Disney Legends award ceremony on Friday, July 14th; the D23 Expo has just released the full list of those he will be honoring. The ceremony, held in hall D23 of the Anaheim Convention Center, will be the 30th anniversary of Disney Legends. The first inductee in 1987 was Fred MacMurray, star of films such as The Shaggy Dog, The Absent-Minded Professor, and The Happiest Millionaire. 2017 will add nine more to the list of Legends. Here is a brief rundown of who will achieve ‘Legendary’ status, as well as a quick synopsis of their Disney contributions:
- Carrie Fisher: Disney films included Scream 3 and Jay and Silent Bob Strike back, but, of course, her most notable role was as Princess Leia throughout the Star Wars franchise.
- Clyde “Gerry” Geronimi: Worked as an animator on Mickey Mouse, Silly Symphony, and Pluto cartoons. Sequence Director on Victory Through Air Power, contributed to The Three Caballeros, The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad, Cinderella, Peter Pan, and One Hundred and One Dalmatians. Supervising Director for Sleeping Beauty.
- Manuel Gonzales: Artist for the Mickey Mouse Sunday paper comic strip for nearly 40 years.
- Mark Hamill: Recognized for his roles on ABC’s General Hospital, Disney’s Miles from Tomorrowland and Milo Murphy’s Law, but most notably as Luke Skywalker in the Star Wars franchise.
- Wayne Jackson: A technician and machinist who started at Disney rebuilding attractions from the 1964-65 World’s Fair for Disneyland. Helped develop Audio-Animatronics® technology, as well as helping bring “Pirates of the Caribbean” and “The Haunted Mansion” to Disneyland.
- Stan Lee: Co-created numerous successful Marvel characters: the Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, the X-Men, Daredevil, and Falcon. Has appeared in nearly every Marvel film project.
- Gary Marshall: A writer/producer/director with numerous credits to his name: The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Lucy Show, The Odd Couple, Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Mork and Mindy, Joanie Loves Chachi, Pretty Woman, The Princess Diaries, Beaches, and many others.
- Julie Taymor: A Grammy, Emmy, and Tony award-winning filmmaker, with successful Broadway credits such as her adaptation of The Lion King which has earned 11 Tony nominations and earned her Best Director, Best Costume Designer, and Best Musical for the show. Her film resume is also impressive: A Midsummer’s Night Dream, Titus, The Tempest, the Golden Globe-nominated Across the Universe, and the Oscar-winning Frida.
- Oprah Winfrey: An award-winning producer, actress, talk show host, and philanthropist best known for The Oprah Winfrey Show, which ran for 25 seasons. Her acting/producing credits include: The Color Purple, Beloved, The Women of Brewster Place, Tuesdays with Morrie, Before Women Had Wings, Their Eyes Were Watching God, The Princess and the Frog, and Disney’s upcoming A Wrinkle in Time.
Admissions to the ceremony will be included in the price of a D23 Expo ticket and will be on a first-come, first-served basis. Award winners will receive a statue and will participate in a hand-print ceremony; their prints will be displayed at the Disney Legends Plaza at the company’s Burbank headquarters.
Prices for one-day admission to the expo are: Adults-$81, Children (3-9)-$59.
For D23 Members those drop to: Adults-$72, Children (3-9)-$53
For booking info, head to D23expo.com