Cars Land Helps Drive Up Disney's Theme Parks Earnings for 2012Leah Zanolla | Posted: Nov 8, 2012 | Updated: Nov 8, 2012 - 10:26:37 PM
Post by Jack Burgin
The Walt Disney Company released its Fourth Quarter and Year End Financial Report today, November 8, 2012.
Overall, diluted earnings per share (EPS) for the year increased 24% to $3.13 from $2.52 in the prior year. Overall revenues for the 2012 fiscal year increased by 3 percent over 2011 revenues.
Revenue and operating income Disney's Theme Park segment drove the most significant increase among all the company’s segments. For all of 2012, Revenue increased by 10 percent, from $11.8 billion in 2011 to $12.9 billion in 2012. At $1.9 billion, operating income for the Theme Park segment increased by a sizable 22 percent over 2011.
Disney's earnings report explained that "Results for the year reflected increases at our domestic parks and resorts, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disney Cruise Line and Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, partially offset by a decrease at Disneyland Paris." Increased guest attendance and spending, offset partially by higher costs helped. Disney specifically noted that "Increased attendance reflected strong growth at Disneyland Resort which benefited from the opening of Cars Land at Disney California Adventure."
While revenue at Disney's Studio Entertainment segment decreased by eight percent (from $6.3 billion to $5.8 billion) operating income for the Studios segment increased by 17 percent over 2011. Disney attributed the revenue decline for 2012 to fewer theatrical releases in the current year and lower home entertainment sales volume. The strong performance of Marvel's The Avengers brought about the increase in domestic theatrical operating income growth.
Daily Email DIS Updates
Stay Informed With All Things Disney!
Enter your email address below to receive DIS Updates by email – including News, Blogs, Podcasts, Discounts, and Disney Updates.
Sign Up & Win A Prize!
Each month we select one of our subscribers at random and give away a prize! Prizes range from a $50 Disney Gift Card, Adventures by Disney trip for two, or a 7 day/6 night stay at Walt Disney World with dining for a family of four!
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit