Disney CEO continues on path to successby Leah Zanolla
Mar 7, 2008
Disney's CEO and President, Bob Iger, continues to earn praise following his address to shareholders at Disney's annual meeting.
The site chosen for this year's event was Albuquerque,New Mexico, home of "High School Musical's" fictional East Side High.
For the past five years, Disney's investors saw an average increase of 15.5%, outpacing the Standard & Poor's annual average. Recent reports show earnings still in double digits in spite of the current economic climate.
In speaking to the Disney shareholders, Iger stated "The success of our company rests, more than anything else, on the commitment of our 137,000 employees and cast members."
Initially, following Michael Eisner's tenure and having served as the controversial CEO's second in command, Iger's appointment was viewed with skepticism. Critics cited his oversight of the then under-performing ABC division and felt that he did not have the creativity needed for Disney to thrive.
Iger's first overture was to Steve Jobs, head of Pixar Animation Studios. By mending the rift created by Eisner, Pixar was back on board and continues to be a strong presence in theaters, Disney theme parks and merchandising.
Among Iger's fans is billionaire investor Warren Buffett who feels that Iger is one of the top CEO's in the nation and has done "an absolutely terrific job since coming in a couple years ago. It's not an easy company to manage, and he's done a first-class job."
Jeffrey Katzenberg, former chief of Walt Disney Studios who had a bitter parting with Eisner also praised Iger. Katzenberg, who now heads rival DreamWorks Animation, commented "He has found great people, many of which were there and not empowered, and many of which are new, and he has created an environment in which creativity is thriving. The heritage of that company is creativity. It is back and flourishing as much as it's ever done in its history."
When asked about his inspiration, Iger spoke of his mentor, Thomas S. Murphy, founder of ABC's former parent, CapCities. Under his guidance, Iger stated that he learned "you put good people in jobs and give them room to run."
See AllDIS UPDATES
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.
See AllRECENT DISCUSSIONS
More Info ORLANDO HOTELS