Disney CEO continues on path to successby Leah Zanolla
Mar 7, 2008
Disney's CEO and President, Bob Iger, continues to earn praise following his address to shareholders at Disney's annual meeting.
The site chosen for this year's event was Albuquerque,New Mexico, home of "High School Musical's" fictional East Side High.
For the past five years, Disney's investors saw an average increase of 15.5%, outpacing the Standard & Poor's annual average. Recent reports show earnings still in double digits in spite of the current economic climate.
In speaking to the Disney shareholders, Iger stated "The success of our company rests, more than anything else, on the commitment of our 137,000 employees and cast members."
Initially, following Michael Eisner's tenure and having served as the controversial CEO's second in command, Iger's appointment was viewed with skepticism. Critics cited his oversight of the then under-performing ABC division and felt that he did not have the creativity needed for Disney to thrive.
Iger's first overture was to Steve Jobs, head of Pixar Animation Studios. By mending the rift created by Eisner, Pixar was back on board and continues to be a strong presence in theaters, Disney theme parks and merchandising.
Among Iger's fans is billionaire investor Warren Buffett who feels that Iger is one of the top CEO's in the nation and has done "an absolutely terrific job since coming in a couple years ago. It's not an easy company to manage, and he's done a first-class job."
Jeffrey Katzenberg, former chief of Walt Disney Studios who had a bitter parting with Eisner also praised Iger. Katzenberg, who now heads rival DreamWorks Animation, commented "He has found great people, many of which were there and not empowered, and many of which are new, and he has created an environment in which creativity is thriving. The heritage of that company is creativity. It is back and flourishing as much as it's ever done in its history."
When asked about his inspiration, Iger spoke of his mentor, Thomas S. Murphy, founder of ABC's former parent, CapCities. Under his guidance, Iger stated that he learned "you put good people in jobs and give them room to run."
See AllDIS UPDATES
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
See AllRECENT DISCUSSIONS
More Info ORLANDO HOTELS