Disney parks to stay open for 24 hours in MayLeah Zanolla | Posted: Apr 25, 2013 | Updated: Apr 26, 2013 - 2:47:44 PM
Walt Disney World is in the middle of a press event to hype up their "Monstrous Summer" promotion. The event is themed around the Monsters, Inc. sequel, Monsters University, which opens in theaters June 21. At Epcot tonight, media gathered to hear an announcement from George Kalogridis, President of Walt Disney World. First up was a list of attractions that are new since last summer, such as the remodeled Test Track, New Fantasyland, new dining locations in the France Pavilion, Wilderness Explorers adventure at Disney's Animal Kingdom and the addition of Doc McStuffins and Sofia the First to Disney Junior - Live on Stage!
To help Kalogridis deliver the announcement, a larger-than-life Mike Wazowski was projected onto Spaceship Earth. Mike talked about how much he loves summer vacation and that we need to cram as much fun in as we can. So, how better to do that than by pulling an all-nighter? To kick off Monstrous Summer, on May 24th, the first day of Memorial Weekend, three of the U.S. Disney parks will be open for 24 hours. The Magic Kingdom, Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure will open at 6:00am on May 24th and close at 6:00am on May 25th (but will reopen at normal park opening time that day). Kalogridis said all three parks will feature "nonstop Disney magic, including special entertainment and merchandise, exclusive food and beverage and many other surprises." Mike and Sulley will be on hand as official mascots of the all-nighter, acting as Grand Marshalls for the "Celebrate a Dream Come True" parade and visiting with guests in Tomorrowland. After dark in Florida, guests can mingle with Disney characters dressed in pajamas in Town Square and take part in late-night dance parties in the Castle courtyard. At Disneyland, the "TLT Monstrous" Dance Club will take place in Tomorrowland, along with a Character Pajama Party in Mickey's Toontown. Fantasy Faire Royal Theatre will become a Royal Dance Hall, complete with live music. In Hollywood Land, guests can take their photos with Monsters University "Dorms" and see the new Monsters University float in the Pixar Play Parade.
The all-nighter is just the beginning of the experiences, shows and celebrations planned for this summer. More announcements will be made tomorrow at a media breakfast and morning presentations.
Daily Email DIS Updates
Stay Informed With All Things Disney!
Enter your email address below to receive DIS Updates by email – including News, Blogs, Podcasts, Discounts, and Disney Updates.
Sign Up & Win A Prize!
Each month we select one of our subscribers at random and give away a prize! Prizes range from a $50 Disney Gift Card, Adventures by Disney trip for two, or a 7 day/6 night stay at Walt Disney World with dining for a family of four!
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.