Disney's first quarter earnings report shows 33% profit increaseby Leah Zanolla
Feb 5, 2014
The Walt Disney Co. announced in its first quarter report today that profits jumped 33 percent this quarter. The quarter ended December 28 with earnings of $1.8 billion, up from $1.4 billion last year. Revenue was up 9 percent to $12.3 billion.
The Parks & Resorts division saw increases across the board - operating income was up 16 percent to $671 million; sales were up 6 percent to $3.6 billion. These numbers came from spending increases and higher ticket prices. MyMagic+ is still in the middle of its testing phase, so those operating costs are affecting the overall numbers, which may go up once the program is officially rolled out.
The biggest gain was in the films division, which had a staggering 75 percent increase in operating profit due to the immense success of the animated film Frozen.
Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger said, "We had an incredibly strong first quarter, delivering a 32 percent increase in adjusted earnings per share and double-digit increases in operating income in all business segments. These results reflect the strength of our unprecedented portfolio of brands, a constant focus on creativity and innovation, and the continued success of our long-term strategy."
- News Source
- Subscribe to receive DIS Updates and News by email!
- News Feed
- Last Updated: Oct 19, 2014 - 9:25:27 AM
Other Disneyland News Stories
- Club 33 members upset about more changes to benefits
Club 33 members are upset about increased annual dues and decreased benefits.
- New Anaheim transportation hub to open next month
A new Anaheim transportation hub is scheduled to open in early December.
- Last surviving child of Knott's founder dies
Marion Knott, youngest daughter of Knott's Berry Farm founders Walter and Cordelia Knott, passed away recently at age 92.
- Knott's Berry Farm announces new 4-D attraction
Knott's Berry Farm has announced Voyage of the Iron Reef, a new interactive ride set to open Spring 2015.
- Superheroes take over the inaugural Avengers half marathon
Runners dressed in costume for the inaugural running of the Avengers Superheroes Half Marathon this weekend in Anaheim.
DIS DISNEYLAND UPDATES
- What is Your Family's Ideal Number of Days at Disney? - Do you prefer to take more frequent shorter trips or long trips less often?
- World of Color Late-Night Breakfast Package for the 24-Hour Party - In addition to their normal lunch and dinner packages, California Adventure will be offering a late-night breakfast World of Color package on May 22nd/23rd with reserved viewing for a 3am show.
- DISAPALOOZA Diagon Alley Party - December 05, 2015 - Dreams Unlimited Travel, Inc, The DIS and the DISUnplugged are proud to announce details of this year's DISapalooza Event. We will be renting out all of Diagon Alley for the enjoyment of our guests! December 05, 2015 (9:00 p.m. - midnight) Price: $75/person
- What are your favorite souvenirs from Disney? - Souvenirs can be a great way to remember a special moment you had at the parks or even just a way to bring Disney into your everyday life.
- Mother's Day offerings at the Disneyland Resort - Several locations throughout the Resort will offer special menu items on May 10th in honor of Mother's Day.
- VIDEO: Peter Pan's Flight Pre-2015 Refurb POV at Disneyland - This is one of Park's original 17 attractions.
- Five Things You Should Know Before Visiting Disneyland Paris
- Disney Myth buster: A Disney Vacation is Too Expensive - Let's break down the numbers and compare exactly how Disney stacks up against other common vacation destinations.
- What's in your Disney park bag?
See AllDL DISCUSSIONS