Monorail Accident at Walt Disney WorldLeah Zanolla | Posted: Jul 5, 2009 | Updated: Dec 31, 2012 - 4:00:18 PM
Two monorails collided early Sunday morning leaving one driver dead. Emergency crews were called to one of the monorail stops at 2 a.m. after receiving reports of two monorails colliding. Reports suggest that the train was leaving Epcot and was arriving at the Ticket and Transportation Center. According to witnesses, one monorail ran into another stationary train. One of the drivers, Austin Wuennenberg (21), was pronounced dead at the scene. The other was taken to the hospital, but did not have serious injuries. A family of six were the only passengers on the train. They were evaluated by paramedics, but were uninjured and released at the scene. This is the first fatal accident in the Walt Disney World monorail system's history. Officials are still working to determine the cause of the collision.
The monorail system reopened on July 6th after receiving OSHA clearance.
Update: On July 5th, 2009 at 2:00am, monorail Pink was performing a switching maneuver from the EPCOT beam to Express beam which requires driving backwards through the switch. While doing so, the anti-collision or “MAPO” system is over-ridden. At the same time, monorail Purple was holding outside the station on the EPCOT beam and given clearance into the station. The collision occurred due to the switch operator not moving the switch for Pink, therefore causing it to drive in reverse in MAPO over-ride still on the EPCOT beam and collide with Purple, killing the pilot.
Since the accident, Disney has updated their operating procedures to prevent this kind of accident from happening again. Unfortunately it also means, due to both liability and the potential distraction caused to the pilot, guests are no longer allowed to ride up front.
For more information on the monorail safety system, read this article on Wikipedia. (Please be aware that Wikipedia is a user-driven website)
Daily Email DIS Updates
Stay Informed With All Things Disney!
Enter your email address below to receive DIS Updates by email – including News, Blogs, Podcasts, Discounts, and Disney Updates.
Sign Up & Win A Prize!
Each month we select one of our subscribers at random and give away a prize! Prizes range from a $50 Disney Gift Card, Adventures by Disney trip for two, or a 7 day/6 night stay at Walt Disney World with dining for a family of four!
- Inaugural Disney Fit Challenge to be held in September - Competitions will include tests of power, speed, balance, strength and endurance.
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.