Reedy Creek to pay $85 million for Disney parking garagesLeah Zanolla | Posted: Mar 20, 2013 | Updated: Mar 20, 2013 - 10:46:51 PM
With the news of the Downtown Disney remodel, we heard that a parking garage may be coming to the area. Official word is now that there will be two parking garages with a total of 6,000 spaces and that the Reedy Creek Improvement District will be paying for them. Reedy Creek is the governing body Disney created when building Walt Disney World. The garages will cost Reedy Creek an estimated $85 million, but should save Disney millions. Because of its government status, Reedy Creek can use tax-free bonds for the property, as well as avoiding sales tax payments on the materials.
There are some that are criticizing the move, saying that Disney is taking advantage of having their own government. Rick Foglesong, a political-science professor at Rollins College, said, "Reedy Creek's ability to issue tax-free bonds and avoid paying sales taxes on construction materials gives the Disney Co. a competitive advantage over other theme parks and resorts in Florida."
Disney refutes the claims, saying that the expansion of Downtown Disney is actually only part of a much larger plan to reduce traffic problems and a new exit ramp off of I-4 will direct cars right into one of the parking garages. Andrea Finger, Disney spokeswoman, said, "The infrastructure work we are planning in coordination with the Reedy Creek Improvement District will provide easier access to Disney Springs while helping to minimize the impact on surrounding roadways at no cost to local taxpayers. Consistent with its charter and its historic mission, Reedy Creek has funded and continues to fund infrastructure projects across our property." Because the garages are at Downtown Disney and not a ticketed attraction, they believe a greater public purpose is being served.
Daily Email DIS Updates
Stay Informed With All Things Disney!
Enter your email address below to receive DIS Updates by email – including News, Blogs, Podcasts, Discounts, and Disney Updates.
Sign Up & Win A Prize!
Each month we select one of our subscribers at random and give away a prize! Prizes range from a $50 Disney Gift Card, Adventures by Disney trip for two, or a 7 day/6 night stay at Walt Disney World with dining for a family of four!
- Inaugural Disney Fit Challenge to be held in September - Competitions will include tests of power, speed, balance, strength and endurance.
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.