Rumor: Is Cars Land coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios?Leah Zanolla | Posted: Jul 31, 2012 | Updated: Jul 31, 2012 - 11:39:35 PM
While the world is captivated by the Olympic Games, it appears that another Olympic-sized competition may be going on between the two major theme parks in Orlando. Two years ago, Universal Orlando stole the spotlight from Walt Disney World with the opening of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Theme park fans thought the Fantasyland expansion was Disney's answer to Harry Potter. However, the DIS has learned of a rumor: Disney's answer may in fact be the opening of Cars Land at Walt Disney World.
This is strictly rumor at this point, but what we've heard is that Cars Land may be coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios, replacing the Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show. This show is apparently very costly to run several times a day, which may be one of the driving factors behind its removal. If more space is needed for the new land, the less-popular Backlot Tour may be the next to go.
Recently, there was a popular yet plausible rumor that Universal Orlando was expanding the Wizarding World of Harry Potter into the Universal Studios park. These rumors included a train that connected the existing land in Islands of Adventure with the new area, rumored to be developed on the former site of the Jaws attraction. Late in 2011, Walt Disney World announced that Avatarland was coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom and while this announcement was made to mixed reviews, many in the industry still questioned whether this combined with the new Fantasyland would be enough to steal Harry Potter's thunder. If this Cars Land rumor proves to be true, that may be enough to tilt the scales in Walt Disney World's favor.
Since this is only rumor for now, there have been no specific dates mentioned, but one would expect that it would be at least a 3 or 4 year process for plans, construction and so as to not poach guests from Cars Land at Disneyland.
See AllDIS UPDATES
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.
See AllRECENT DISCUSSIONS
More Info ORLANDO HOTELS