Rumor: Is Cars Land coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios?Leah Zanolla | Posted: Jul 31, 2012 | Updated: Jul 31, 2012 - 11:39:35 PM
While the world is captivated by the Olympic Games, it appears that another Olympic-sized competition may be going on between the two major theme parks in Orlando. Two years ago, Universal Orlando stole the spotlight from Walt Disney World with the opening of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Theme park fans thought the Fantasyland expansion was Disney's answer to Harry Potter. However, the DIS has learned of a rumor: Disney's answer may in fact be the opening of Cars Land at Walt Disney World.
This is strictly rumor at this point, but what we've heard is that Cars Land may be coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios, replacing the Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show. This show is apparently very costly to run several times a day, which may be one of the driving factors behind its removal. If more space is needed for the new land, the less-popular Backlot Tour may be the next to go.
Recently, there was a popular yet plausible rumor that Universal Orlando was expanding the Wizarding World of Harry Potter into the Universal Studios park. These rumors included a train that connected the existing land in Islands of Adventure with the new area, rumored to be developed on the former site of the Jaws attraction. Late in 2011, Walt Disney World announced that Avatarland was coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom and while this announcement was made to mixed reviews, many in the industry still questioned whether this combined with the new Fantasyland would be enough to steal Harry Potter's thunder. If this Cars Land rumor proves to be true, that may be enough to tilt the scales in Walt Disney World's favor.
Since this is only rumor for now, there have been no specific dates mentioned, but one would expect that it would be at least a 3 or 4 year process for plans, construction and so as to not poach guests from Cars Land at Disneyland.
See AllDIS UPDATES
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
See AllRECENT DISCUSSIONS
More Info ORLANDO HOTELS