Rumor: Orlando's Downtown Disney to get major overhaulLeah Zanolla | Posted: Feb 17, 2013 | Updated: Feb 17, 2013 - 10:17:55 AM
As evidence that not everything Walt Disney World announces ends up seeing the light of day, a rumor has appeared on parkrumors.com suggesting plans have been officially revised for an overhaul of Orlando's Downtown Disney shopping, dining and entertainment district. In November 2010, Disney revealed plans for "Hyperion Wharf," aimed at turning Downtown Disney into "a nostalgic yet modern take on an early 20th century port city and amusement pier. By day, stylish boutiques and innovative restaurants will draw you in and by night, thousands of lights will transform the area into an electric wonderland." In July of 2011, Disney admitted those plans had been put on hold. Their official statement read: "During the course of this site work, we identified opportunities to further refine our master plan and are pausing to evaluate them. What does this mean for you? While we're moving quickly, it will admittedly cause a delay in construction. But we're willing to bet that any delay will be worth the wait once we're able to share details about the exciting work we've been doing."
Now, nearly a year and a half later, it appears as if Hyperion Wharf has officially been eliminated from the drawing board. Instead, possible plans have surfaced for "The BVD Corridor Stormwater Project." If legitimate, these plans suggest that the Downtown Disney area will indeed get that major redesign after all. According to those plans, the downtown district will eventually be named "Disney Springs" and will have six different areas or "neighborhoods:" The Gateway, The Town Center, The Springs, The Landing, The West Side, and The Village Marketplace. Each neighborhood will allegedly have a distinct feel, with the current West Side and Marketplace basically retaining their current layouts. However, the apparent plans do call for Planet Hollywood to be rebranded as "The Observatory."
Regarding major changes, existing parking lots C and D would be removed to make room for a multi-level parking garage and the bus stations would be expanded to meet the demands of the new areas. "The Town Center" will supposedly be home to new retail locations and will sit on the site of current parking lots E-G. "The Landing" would contain more dining options as well as an outdoor amphitheater near Paradiso 37.
As we saw with Hyperion Wharf, just because there are plans and/or artwork seen by the public, doesn't mean any or all of those plans will come to fruition. Regardless, if true, this news of a long needed overhaul could breathe much-needed new life into Downtown Disney at Walt Disney World.
Daily Email DIS Updates
Stay Informed With All Things Disney!
Enter your email address below to receive DIS Updates by email – including News, Blogs, Podcasts, Discounts, and Disney Updates.
Sign Up & Win A Prize!
Each month we select one of our subscribers at random and give away a prize! Prizes range from a $50 Disney Gift Card, Adventures by Disney trip for two, or a 7 day/6 night stay at Walt Disney World with dining for a family of four!
- Inaugural Disney Fit Challenge to be held in September - Competitions will include tests of power, speed, balance, strength and endurance.
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.