Walt Disney Co. is Yahoo Finance Company of the YearLeah Zanolla | Posted: Dec 21, 2013 | Updated: Dec 21, 2013 - 4:38:33 PM
The Walt Disney Co. was named Yahoo Finance 'Company of the Year.' Some of the qualities Yahoo was looking for were a good mix of "financial performance, shareholder friendliness, strategic focus, employee relations and customer loyalty." Yahoo was complimentary of the way the company "honored the past, delivered in the present and positioned for the future better than any other American company." They said Disney's "successful striking of this rare balance - while focusing on careful financial stewardship and great customer experiences" was what led them to this honor.
Though Disney's stock performances weren't the best among companies their size, they had consistent quality across the board in their company - in products, global reach and preparing for future growth.
Some of Disney's 2013 highlights that Yahoo touched on:
For the third straight year, profits and revenue were at an all-time high. Disney's shares have jumped 38% for the year and more than doubled over the past couple of years.
The company's box-office results were the best they'd ever seen. There were $4 billion in ticket sales before the winter holidays had even begun.
The theme parks have seen record attendance numbers.
The consumer-products division reached $1 billion in profit.
Disney cable networks were the top rated networks for children ages 2 through 11.
In a list of the 60 leading U.S. companies, Disney was number three. The list, Harris Interactive's Reputation Quotient survey, takes into account "product quality, trust, social responsibility and treatment of employees." Specifically mentioned was Disney offering full-time jobs with benefits to eligible part-time employees.
Disney owns six of the top ten app downloads for the Kindle.
Yahoo points out that these qualities are not an anomaly for 2013, but are more of a payoff of Bob Iger's strategies that he's been putting in place since becoming CEO in 2005.
Daily Email DIS Updates
Stay Informed With All Things Disney!
Enter your email address below to receive DIS Updates by email – including News, Blogs, Podcasts, Discounts, and Disney Updates.
See AllDIS UPDATES
- Inaugural Disney Fit Challenge to be held in September - Competitions will include tests of power, speed, balance, strength and endurance.
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.
See AllRECENT DISCUSSIONS
More Info ORLANDO HOTELS