Walt Disney World to enact credit card cancellation policy for many dining reservationsby Leah Zanolla
Oct 12, 2011
The Disney online community is abuzz with news that Walt Disney World will begin a new cancellation policy for many of its popular restaurants (full list below) beginning October 26, 2011. This move can be interpreted as an attempt to discourage guests from making multiple reservations at different locations for the same time period and only using one, resulting in perceived "no availability" at many popular on-property restaurants. According to the policy, new advance dining reservations (ADR) made as of October 26th will require a credit card hold. If a reservation is not canceled at least 24 hours in advance, the credit card will be charged $10 for each guest on the reservation. As always, certain exceptions apply, such as prepaid locations (i.e. Cinderella's Royal Table, Mickey's Backyard BBQ) as well as special dining events (i.e. fireworks dinner packages, Victoria and Albert's). These locations may have different cancellation deadlines and penalties. While this policy does not go into effect for another two weeks, DISBoards members have raised numerous questions regarding the specifics of how this policy will be enforced.
"Housemouse" expresses the following concern, "I'm thinking of a scenario where a child(or adult) comes down with a stomach bug in the morning which will necessitate skipping the planned lunch or dinner, or both for that matter, for that day. It could amount to a nice little chunk of change for something you have no control over. Especially if the rest of the party can't go."
This raises another issue around the question of how a party will be penalized if one or more people on the reservation can not attend, but the rest of the party can. DISBoards member "Colleen27" states, "I'm curious to see how it plays out, particularly in regard to changes in the party size. As far as I know there's no way in the current ADR system to change the party size on an established reservation - you have to cancel and re-book. Unless that changes this policy is setting up a situation where anyone who has someone drop out of their travel party any time between the 180 mark and the trip will be forced to give up their ADRs and start over rebooking or pay a cancellation fee for the missing person in order to keep their character/signature meal plans."
As with any policy instituted at a Disney park, only time will tell if and how well it works when put into action. Disney has announced the creation of a dedicated phone number (407-WDW-CNCL) to be used only for cancelling dining reservations. If you'd like to join the DISBoards conversation on this new policy, click here.
The following is a list of dining locations participating in the credit card guarantee policy:
Locations Requiring Credit Card Guarantee (penalty will be $10/guest)
* 1900 Park Fare
* Princess Storybook Dining at Akershus Royal Banquet Hall
* Artist Point
* California Grill
* Cape May Cafe
* Chef Mickey's Buffet
* The Crystal Palace
* Flying Fish Cafe
* The Garden Grill
* Hollywood and Vine
* Jiko - The Cooking Place
* Le Cellier Steakhouse
* Tusker House Restaurant
* The Hollywood Brown Derby
* Victoria and Albert's ($25/per guest)
* Yachtsman Steakhouse
Pre-paid Locations (penalty will be full price of meals on reservation)
* Cinderella's Royal Table
* Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue
* Mickey's Backyard BBQ
* Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show at Luau Cove
See AllDIS UPDATES
- Victoria & Albert's will no longer accept Tables in Wonderland - This begins August 1, 2014.
- Summertime Pals Ink & Paint Cel release - This limited release will be available at the event, or pre-order by September 25 at 5:00pm EST.
- Haunted Mansion merchandise shop coming to Magic Kingdom - The former Yankee Trader shop will become a Haunted Mansion merchandise location in the near future. The decor will be inspired by Madame Leota and will carry items from the Haunted Mansion Authentic program, such as apparel, home goods, souvenirs and more.
- Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings for August - List of authors and artists coming to the theme parks for signings and merchandise releases.
- List of characters updated for Villains Unleashed! event - Over 50 Disney villains will be taking over the park until the 13th hour!
- Beginning today, PhotoPass print packages are no longer offered table-side at character meals - This includes Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Tusker House Restaurant.
- Disney Visa cardholders can book Food & Wine Festival events early - Disney Visa cardholders can book special events two days earlier than the general public - on July 29 and July 30 from 7:00am-11:00pm EST.
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
See AllRECENT DISCUSSIONS
More Info ORLANDO HOTELS