New details on Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland expansionby Leah Zanolla
Jan 18, 2011
Since Walt Disney World announced a massive expansion of the Magic Kingdom in the fall of 2009, the internet has been buzzing regarding what the "Fantasyland Forest" might eventually look like. The details Disney provided concerned some that the plans were too "princess-focused" (a feeling shared by Tom Staggs himself). As a result, rumors started flying that the initial plans were undergoing a "rethinking" to appeal to both young males and females. Today, those rumors became reality.
In advance of a special press event this evening, Walt Disney World released artist renderings of the updated expansion plans now known as "New Fantasyland." Many elements remain the same from the original plans such as the Little Mermaid attraction, the addition of a duplicate Dumbo the Flying Elephant ride in a new Storybook Circus area, and a restaurant and meet-and-greet location inspired by "Beauty and the Beast." The name of the re-purposed Goofy's Barnstormer was released as well; it will be named "The Great Goofini."
However, the inclusion of a large-scale Pixie Hollow area is no more and it will be replaced by the "Princess Fairytale Hall," where guests can meet Aurora, Cinderella, Tiana, Rapunzel and "other Disney princesses." This hall will be constructed in the current location of Snow White's Scary Adventures. In addition, Tinkerbell and her friends will soon be found at EPCOT where they will also be involved with the Flower and Garden Festival.
Another confirmation in the press release was that a Seven Dwarfs Mine Coaster attraction has been added to expansion plans. This new coaster will tell the story of Snow White as the ride vehicles will "swing back and forth as they whisk along the track."
To view Disney's artistic renderings of "New Fantasyland," click here.
See AllDIS UPDATES
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
See AllRECENT DISCUSSIONS
More Info ORLANDO HOTELS