Tower of Terror lands Walt Disney World in courtby Leah Zanolla
Apr 16, 2010
According to the Orlando Sentinel, Walt Disney World has gone to trial in an Orange County courtroom after being sued by a guest who contends he suffered a stroke as a result of riding the Tower of Terror at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Marvin Cohen (80) had a stroke 23 days after riding the popular attraction which involves numerous drops in a haunted elevator shaft. The article details Cohen's case in which his legal team suggest he was a "physically active housing developer who suffered a tear in an artery leading to his brain while riding Tower of Terror with his family on March 28, 1998." Weeks after, the prosecution contends this arterial tear caused a stroke.
Interestingly, Cohen's attorneys are not claiming the injury was the result of any mechanical failure on the attraction. Instead, they suggest the ride design itself caused their client's injury. Allegedly, Cohen's lawyers will argue the attraction "creates a whiplash effect that can seriously injure even healthy riders."
In their defense, Disney will reportedly argue that the attraction is not only safe, but all guests are properly warned about any risks before boarding. In addition, they claim to have evidence that Mr. Cohen had pre-existing conditions that caused his stroke, not the attraction.
It is worth noting that there are currently two other pending cases claiming strokes caused by the Tower of Terror. However, of all of the personal injury cases filed against area theme parks and attractions, none have gone to trial.
See AllDIS UPDATES
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.
See AllRECENT DISCUSSIONS
More Info ORLANDO HOTELS