What's new at the Orlando theme parksby Leah Zanolla
Apr 2, 2007
Florida Sun Sentinel - Orlando's theme parks are counting on an invasion of red and green monsters and Blue Men to help draw visitors this spring and summer.
None of the parks will be opening any major new rides, though some are in the works. But SeaWorld Orlando is ready to take the wraps off several new children's rides and a new show based on Sesame Street characters, Walt Disney World will finally open its Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor Comedy Club and Universal Orlando is making room for a permanently installed Blue Man Group show.
Here's what's in store at the Big Three:
With an eye toward attracting younger children and teens, SeaWorld recently previewed five new kid-friendly attractions.
"SeaWorld is all about the kids and families," spokeswoman Becca Bides said.
Besides the new Elmo and the Bookaneers show opening today, featuring the furry little red creature and other Sesame Street characters, SeaWorld is adding three new children's rides, including a sea life-themed carousel. It's also bringing on Shamu Rocks, a new rock 'n' roll version of the killer-whale show geared more toward teens.
The children's rides effectively double the size of Shamu's Happy Harbor, and Bides said they elevate it from being a children's playground area to a children's destination.
Bides said her park is looking for a strong season.
"We've had especially strong attendance at our Viva la Musica series, and we've seen a great response from parents writing in about our new kids' and family attractions, especially Sesame Street," she said.
Universal Orlando announced it is closing a signature ride at Universal Studios, Back to the Future: The Ride, but has not yet announced what will take its place. Whatever will go into that building likely won't be ready for the spring, though a summer opening might not be out of the question.
Instead of new rides, Universal has focused on new entertainment. In December it added a live TV audience show, iVillage Live, to an amphitheater in Islands of Adventure. The show has entrances inside and outside the park; this will be the show's first big season.
And in June, Universal is planning to open the Blue Man Group show, hosting an act that has been a long-running hit in Las Vegas, New York City and other places. The show, a high-energy mixture of mime, special effects and music, is going into a sound stage that Universal has been overhauling into what officials have promised will become a state-of-the-art theater. The performance space will be accessible from Universal CityWalk and Universal Studios
Just as when they visited last year, Universal will be the main draw when Roger Santavicca, his wife, Christine, and three children head to Orlando in May.
"The kids really loved Universal Studios," said Santavicca, 53, of Yorktown Heights, N.Y.
The Santaviccas plan to stay at a hotel at Universal and take advantage of free access to the express area for rides. It's a hotel benefit they used last year.
"We waited in a line for about five minutes .. . where there were lines of people waiting for 40 minutes," Santavicca said.
Walt Disney World
Walt Disney World opened two new attractions this winter, the Finding Nemo: The Musical show at Disney's Animal Kingdom and The Living Seas With Nemo and Friends ride at Epcot.
The debut of the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor Comedy Club, originally set for January, was delayed because of technical problems. But Disney has been promising that the Magic Kingdom attraction will be yet another major advancement in theme-park technology.
The show features Mike Wazowski, the one-eyed hero of the 2001 Monsters Inc., who has opened a comedy club to collect laughs that will generate power for the future.
Disney also has reworked an informational ride at the Mexico Pavilion at Epcot, working three Disney characters and a new story line into the ride. Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the Three Caballeros replaces El Rio Del Tiempo and will feature Donald Duck, Jose Carioca (a parrot) and Panchito (a Mexican charro rooster) from the 1944 Disney film, The Three Caballeros.
But Disney World spokesman Rick Sylvain said this season's biggest draw is likely to be the continuing Year of a Million Dreams campaign, which features thousands of daily random giveaways in and around the theme parks.
"Year of a Million Dreams has really hit its stride," Sylvain said. "There's the chance that guests will possibly be selected for a dream anywhere from getting the front of the Fast Pass line to the spectacular, like a trip around the world, to that night in Cinderella Castle."
For Betsy and Mike Horn of Woodbury, Minn., a trip to Disney in June is looking like a dream vacation.
Their boys, ages 5 and 9, have talked about the park "constantly" since they visited two years ago. This time, the trip will be a surprise.
And if they get picked for something special as part of the Dreams campaign?
"I think they would be very excited," their mom said.
Betsy Horn, 38, said one of the big draws is how Disney treats visitors with disabilities. One of the Horns' children has autism.
"They bend over backwards," she said. "We get on every ride first [with a disability pass]."
See AllDIS UPDATES
- Happy 15th Birthday to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith! - The attraction originally opened its doors at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 29, 1999.
- Victoria & Albert's will no longer accept Tables in Wonderland - This begins August 1, 2014.
- Summertime Pals Ink & Paint Cel release - This limited release will be available at the event, or pre-order by September 25 at 5:00pm EST.
- Haunted Mansion merchandise shop coming to Magic Kingdom - The former Yankee Trader shop will become a Haunted Mansion merchandise location in the near future. The decor will be inspired by Madame Leota and will carry items from the Haunted Mansion Authentic program, such as apparel, home goods, souvenirs and more.
- Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings for August - List of authors and artists coming to the theme parks for signings and merchandise releases.
- List of characters updated for Villains Unleashed! event - Over 50 Disney villains will be taking over the park until the 13th hour!
- Beginning today, PhotoPass print packages are no longer offered table-side at character meals - This includes Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Tusker House Restaurant.
- Disney Visa cardholders can book Food & Wine Festival events early - Disney Visa cardholders can book special events two days earlier than the general public - on July 29 and July 30 from 7:00am-11:00pm EST.
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
See AllRECENT DISCUSSIONS
More Info ORLANDO HOTELS