Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground to get major overhaulby Leah Zanolla
Aug 25, 2008
Changes are underway at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground, the first such major improvements since this area opened 37 years ago.
Among the plans are a dog park, scaled down water park, internet access and cable TV throughout the campground, larger pads for today's RV's and an upgraded electric cart system. Also being addressed is the problem with proliferating plant species which are not indigenous to the area.
While Fort Wilderness does have three Wi-Fi hot spots as well as access from the Cabins, the same is not true for the campsites. The planned addition of both cable and internet access is being widely praised by those who camp at this resort.
The Meadows pool area will see a major overhaul with the addition of a a splash zone and water slide. Disney's first water park, River Country, which has been closed, is adjacent to this area. While the plans do not include reopening that park, there is discussion to incorporate some of the more iconic elements of River Country into this new themed pool area. One such feature being looked at is River Country's water tower.
The expanded campsites which are being built are expected to rent from $66 to $116 a night, varying by season and will also feature grills and picnic tables.
Jean Gallagher, General Manager of Disney's Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness stated "The fort is a treasure at Walt Disney World. There really is so much history with the success of Walt Disney World that stems back to Fort Wilderness. And because of the nature of this property, and the theming, we really haven't done a lot of changes. ... We have not made a lot of investment from a site perspective in the 37 years we've been open. So this opportunity to meet what our guests are asking for, and how the industry has changed, this is more than we could expect."
While the changes are being welcomed and are considered long overdue, Linda Profaizer, president and chief executive officer of the National Association of RV Parks & Campgrounds speculated that the campsite pad expansion may be happening at a time when the trend of oversize campers may be ending in response to current gas prices.
Disney's CEO Bob Iger previously commented "We have a big RV park in Orlando, and I would think that they would be hit the hardest, because it's pretty expensive to fill up a tank in one of those babies. Those parks have been completely full. And there's demand going forward from a bookings perspective."
See AllDIS UPDATES
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
See AllRECENT DISCUSSIONS
More Info ORLANDO HOTELS