Carnival Ecstasy loses power at sea; Carnival Corp announces enhancements to emergency power systemsby Leah Zanolla
Apr 18, 2013
Another Carnival ship has lost power at sea; luckily it was only for 12 minutes this time. The Carnival Ecstasy had a short power outage while at sea on Wednesday, April 17. The ship was on its way back to Port Canaveral this morning (Thursday, April 18) after a five-day cruise and was expected to dock about a half hour past its scheduled time.
The same day, Carnival announced a "program to enhance emergency power capabilities, introduce new fire safety technology and improve the level of operating redundancies across its entire 24-ship fleet." The Carnival Cruise Lines portion is expected to cost $300 million and another $400 million to implement it in across the rest of the corporation. Carnival Corp. maintains a fleet of 101 ships across their 11 brands.
After the engine room fire incident on the Carnival Triumph in February, as well as several other incidents in the past few months, the cruise line began a company-wide review of its operational procedures and what services are still accessible while running on emergency power.
Gerry Cahill, president and CEO of Carnival Cruise Lines, said, "All of Carnival Cruise Lines' ships operate safely today. Each vessel already has effective systems in place to prevent, detect and respond to emergency situations, and we meet or exceed all regulatory requirements." In spite of that, the company plans to use what they've learned through the review to increase and enhance these services and also hopefully prevent more of the same problems from happening in the future.
Items included in the enhancement are:
Increased emergency generator power - This will be able to maintain full power to public restrooms, fresh water and elevators during a power outage. After this is completed, a secondary back-up system will be installed covering the kitchens, food storage, and Internet and phone lines.
Increased fire prevention, detection and suppression systems - The sprinkler systems will be upgraded to put out more water in the case of fire. The system will also automatically cool any hot spots so the fire will not restart.
Enhanced operating redundancies - Electrical components of the engine will be modified so there is less of a chance to lose power.
A new safety and reliability review board - The company will call in outside experts in "marine and occupational safety, reliability and maintenance, marine regulatory compliance and quality control and assurance." These third parties will offer recommendations for the new program and offer their expertise in how best to upgrade the vessel's systems.
- News Source
- Subscribe to receive DIS Updates and News by email!
- News Feed
- Last Updated: Oct 19, 2014 - 9:25:27 AM
Disney Cruise News Stories
- Disney Cruise Line releases sail dates for early 2016
Two new Caribbean ports have been added.
- Disney Cruise Line honored by Bon Voyage digital magazine
Disney Cruise Line took top honors in several categories.
- Disney Cruise Line and Aulani honored by Travel + Leisure
Results are part of the World's Best Awards 2014.
- Disney Cruise Line releases remainder of 2015 schedule
Sail dates for the remainder of 2015 have been announced.
- Disney Wonder to return to Hawaii in 2015?
Itineraries aren't released yet, but a suspicious entry on the Hawaii port calendars is fueling the rumors.
See AllDIS SITE UPDATES
- Trader Sam's now officially open at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
- Big Thunder Mountain begins 4 day rehab
- Free Dining discount released for the General Public
- Walt Disney World FREE DINING Basics and FAQ's
- Getting to grips with MyMagic+
- What is Your Family's Ideal Number of Days at Disney?
- World of Color Late-Night Breakfast Package for the 24-Hour Party
- Be Our Guest breakfast test extended through July 18
- Expedition Everest Challenge will end after this year
- Concierge staterooms to have binoculars on Mediterranean/European and Alaska sailings
- Our family's must-do's on Disney Cruise Line
- Dockside Margaritas opening at Downtown Disney today
- Family Dining at Disney’s Hollywood Studios for $100 a Day
- Teen Beach 2 Beach Party coming to Typhoon Lagoon
- Man arrested for climbing over fence into Universal Studios
- Disney Cruise Line Navigator app's Onboard Chat feature now active on all 4 ships
- Happy 17th Birthday to Disney's Animal Kingdom!
- Mother's Day dining at Walt Disney World
- Dead Men Tell No Tales this Summer
- Universal Orlando announces 25th Anniversary Concert Series
- Military discounts available for Eastern Caribbean sailing on Disney Cruise Line
- Pirates of the Caribbean rehab moved back to June 8
- DISAPALOOZA Diagon Alley Party - December 05, 2015
- What are your favorite souvenirs from Disney?
- Best Places To Take Mid-Day Breaks Within EPCOT
- Coronado Springs Business Class, Worth it or Not?
- Why You Should Plan To Divert From Your "Plan"
- Innoventions West exhibits closing April 29
- Sounds Like Summer Concert Series performers and dates announced
- Blog - Downtown Disney Construction Update
- Creating A Theme Park Adventure
- The Great Reveal Debate: When to tell the kids about your Disney vacation
- Mother's Day offerings at the Disneyland Resort
- American Ninja Warrior taping at Universal Orlando in May
- Dockside Margaritas opening at Downtown Disney April 23
- Universal Orlando raising employees' base pay
- Prices increase for Pirates League on the Disney Fantasy
- Walt Disney World for Teens
- Disney Springs' "World Showcase of Flavors"
- Disney Cruise Line raises prices at Palo and Remy
- Blog - The Universal Day - Islands of Adventure
- A Few Obscure Things That Could Ruin Your Disney Vacation
- Spending the afternoon at a hidden gem: Tom Sawyer Island
- The Whole World and Beyond - In 27 Square Miles!
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium Packages now available
- Adventures by Disney Insiders eligible for one free hotel night
- Adventures by Disney announces Danube River Cruise
- it's a small world closes for rehab
- VIDEO: Peter Pan's Flight Pre-2015 Refurb POV at Disneyland
- Be Our Guest breakfast can now be pre-ordered
- Menu for The BOATHOUSE at Downtown Disney
- Florida residents can take advantage of Disney Cruise Line discounts
- Walt Disney World's Jungle Cruise closes for refurb
- The BOATHOUSE opens today at Downtown Disney
- 4 Reasons Why Disney Should Consider Bringing Back 3 Of The Original Hotel Concepts
- Five Things You Should Know Before Visiting Disneyland Paris
- Dooney & Bourke release at Downtown Disney
- Disney Myth buster: A Disney Vacation is Too Expensive
- This Dad's Disney "Duh" Moments
- Sleeper Pick, Best Resort for Tots: Bay Lake Tower
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party tickets now on sale
- Night of Joy tickets now available
- Tickets now on sale for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party
- ABD Providing Transfers from Airport for Pre- and Post-night Stays
- What's in your Disney park bag?
- Premium packages and VIP tour details for Star Wars Weekends
- Discounted Disney Cruise Line rates released for the general public
- Main pool reopened at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
- Main pool at Contemporary Resort to be closed in September
- Convenient dining options near the Disney World parks
- Tables in Wonderland special dining events announced
- Kids stay free with a four night stay at Cabana Bay Beach Resort