Disney Fantasy has lower occupancy percentage than Disney Dreamby Leah Zanolla
Jul 21, 2012
While it made its maiden voyage nearly a year earlier, the Disney Dream is reporting higher occupancy rates than the Disney Fantasy, the newest ship in the Disney Cruise Line fleet.
According to Jason Garcia of the Orlando Sentinel, occupancy reports show the Fantasy averaging 132.7 percent from April through June of this year, its first three months of sailings. While this may seem high, 100 percent occupancy reflects two people staying in each stateroom. However, the ship can accommodate approximately 4,000 passengers and there are many staterooms that can sleep up to five, allowing for a an occupancy rate much higher than 100 percent. By contrast, the Dream reported an average occupancy rate of 152.1 percent during its three initial months last year. The two classic ships in the Disney fleet, the Wonder and the Magic, averaged 149.2 and 146.7 percent occupancy, respectively, on their Port Canaveral sailings until the new ships took their place.
The Fantasy may not have matched the opening three month average of its sister ship, but Port Canaveral's passenger data does show a steady increase. The above mentioned Sentinel article reports, "Occupancy on the Fantasy was 118.5 percent in April, 131.4 percent in May and 145.2 percent in June." When it comes to reasons behind the lower first three month average than the Dream, the article offers many suggestions. For example, one theory is that Disney Cruise Line strategically chose to limit occupancy in the initial months to allow for adjustments and repairs on ship without inconveniencing passengers. Another possible factor is the Fantasy's sailing schedule in comparison to the Dream. The Dream has been embarking on three, four and five night cruises while the Fantasy has been running a steady schedule of seven night sailings. As a result, the cost to sail on the Fantasy is considerably higher than on the Dream.
- News Source
- Subscribe to receive DIS Updates and News by email!
- News Feed
- Last Updated: Oct 19, 2014 - 9:25:27 AM
Disney Cruise News Stories
- Disney Cruise Line releases sail dates for early 2016
Two new Caribbean ports have been added.
- Disney Cruise Line honored by Bon Voyage digital magazine
Disney Cruise Line took top honors in several categories.
- Disney Cruise Line and Aulani honored by Travel + Leisure
Results are part of the World's Best Awards 2014.
- Disney Cruise Line releases remainder of 2015 schedule
Sail dates for the remainder of 2015 have been announced.
- Disney Wonder to return to Hawaii in 2015?
Itineraries aren't released yet, but a suspicious entry on the Hawaii port calendars is fueling the rumors.
See AllDIS SITE UPDATES
- World of Color Late-Night Breakfast Package for the 24-Hour Party
- Be Our Guest breakfast test extended through July 18
- Expedition Everest Challenge will end after this year
- Concierge staterooms to have binoculars on Mediterranean/European and Alaska sailings
- Our family's must-do's on Disney Cruise Line
- Dockside Margaritas opening at Downtown Disney today
- Family Dining at Disney’s Hollywood Studios for $100 a Day
- Teen Beach 2 Beach Party coming to Typhoon Lagoon
- Man arrested for climbing over fence into Universal Studios
- Disney Cruise Line Navigator app's Onboard Chat feature now active on all 4 ships
- Happy 17th Birthday to Disney's Animal Kingdom!
- Mother's Day dining at Walt Disney World
- Dead Men Tell No Tales this Summer
- Universal Orlando announces 25th Anniversary Concert Series
- Military discounts available for Eastern Caribbean sailing on Disney Cruise Line
- Pirates of the Caribbean rehab moved back to June 8
- DISAPALOOZA Diagon Alley Party - December 05, 2015
- What are your favorite souvenirs from Disney?
- Best Places To Take Mid-Day Breaks Within EPCOT
- Coronado Springs Business Class, Worth it or Not?
- Why You Should Plan To Divert From Your "Plan"
- Innoventions West exhibits closing April 29
- Sounds Like Summer Concert Series performers and dates announced
- Blog - Downtown Disney Construction Update
- Creating A Theme Park Adventure
- The Great Reveal Debate: When to tell the kids about your Disney vacation
- Mother's Day offerings at the Disneyland Resort
- American Ninja Warrior taping at Universal Orlando in May
- Dockside Margaritas opening at Downtown Disney April 23
- Universal Orlando raising employees' base pay
- Prices increase for Pirates League on the Disney Fantasy
- Walt Disney World for Teens
- Disney Springs' "World Showcase of Flavors"
- Disney Cruise Line raises prices at Palo and Remy
- Blog - The Universal Day - Islands of Adventure
- A Few Obscure Things That Could Ruin Your Disney Vacation
- Spending the afternoon at a hidden gem: Tom Sawyer Island
- The Whole World and Beyond - In 27 Square Miles!
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium Packages now available
- Adventures by Disney Insiders eligible for one free hotel night
- Adventures by Disney announces Danube River Cruise
- it's a small world closes for rehab
- VIDEO: Peter Pan's Flight Pre-2015 Refurb POV at Disneyland
- Be Our Guest breakfast can now be pre-ordered
- Menu for The BOATHOUSE at Downtown Disney
- Florida residents can take advantage of Disney Cruise Line discounts
- Walt Disney World's Jungle Cruise closes for refurb
- The BOATHOUSE opens today at Downtown Disney
- 4 Reasons Why Disney Should Consider Bringing Back 3 Of The Original Hotel Concepts
- Five Things You Should Know Before Visiting Disneyland Paris
- Dooney & Bourke release at Downtown Disney
- Disney Myth buster: A Disney Vacation is Too Expensive
- This Dad's Disney "Duh" Moments
- Sleeper Pick, Best Resort for Tots: Bay Lake Tower
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party tickets now on sale
- Night of Joy tickets now available
- Tickets now on sale for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party
- ABD Providing Transfers from Airport for Pre- and Post-night Stays
- What's in your Disney park bag?
- Premium packages and VIP tour details for Star Wars Weekends
- Discounted Disney Cruise Line rates released for the general public
- Main pool reopened at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
- Main pool at Contemporary Resort to be closed in September
- Convenient dining options near the Disney World parks
- Tables in Wonderland special dining events announced
- Kids stay free with a four night stay at Cabana Bay Beach Resort