Parents of missing crew member sue Disney Cruise Lineby Leah Zanolla
Mar 27, 2014
The parents of a Disney Cruise Line employee who went missing in 2011 are suing the company for $75,000. Rebecca Coriam, 24, a youth activities counselor from England, was last seen on the Disney Wonder near Mexico on March 22, 2011. Coriam's parents, Mike and Ann Coriam of Chester, filed suit claiming that Disney "failed in its duty of care." Coriam was last seen early that morning on security camera footage in staff quarters, where she made a phone call to a friend. She was reported missing when she didn't check in for her shift four hours later.
Coriam's parents "claim Disney Cruise Lines acted negligently in waiting more than four hours to alert the US Coastguard, more than five hours to contact the Mexican navy and nearly seven hours to call the Bahamas police." The suit also claims that Disney "gave false and misleading information about the ship's position when it alerted the coastguard." They think the ship should have had better surveillance available for both passengers and crew members and that person overboard protocols were breached.
In response to the suit, a Disney Cruise Line spokeswoman said, "This incident has been investigated by the authorities. The claims are without merit, as we will demonstrate in court."
- News Source
- Subscribe to receive DIS Updates and News by email!
- News Feed
- Last Updated: Oct 19, 2014 - 9:25:27 AM
Disney Cruise News Stories
- Disney Cruise Line releases sail dates for early 2016
Two new Caribbean ports have been added.
- Disney Cruise Line honored by Bon Voyage digital magazine
Disney Cruise Line took top honors in several categories.
- Disney Cruise Line and Aulani honored by Travel + Leisure
Results are part of the World's Best Awards 2014.
- Disney Cruise Line releases remainder of 2015 schedule
Sail dates for the remainder of 2015 have been announced.
- Disney Wonder to return to Hawaii in 2015?
Itineraries aren't released yet, but a suspicious entry on the Hawaii port calendars is fueling the rumors.
See AllDIS SITE UPDATES
- 5 Reasons Leaving a Park to Save Money on Food is a Bad Idea
- Adjusted schedule for the Express beam monorails
- Food Truck Takeover at Downtown Disney
- Polynesian East Pool to be closed from 4/13 - 12/31/15
- FREE $25 Universal Orlando Gift Card with Vacation Package!
- Halloween Horror Nights 25 Dates and Vacation Packages announced
- Peter Pan's Flight closed 3/5 and 3/6
- Walt Disney and The Little Golden Books
- Blog - 2015 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival
- Surviving (Or Sharing) Disney World with A Non-Disney Fan
- Mother's Day celebrations planned at Aulani
- Celebrate the release of Cinderella with a specialty cupcake
- Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid reopens at Magic Kingdom after refurb
- Star Wars Weekend's Galactic Gathering merchandise event planned
- Updated events and schedules for Epcot Flower and Garden Festival
- How Disney saved my life after my child lost hers
- New cancellation policy now in effect for Disney Cruise Line
- List of Walt Disney World smoking areas updated
- Disney Cruise Line offers military discounts
- Florida residents can sail for as little as $125 per night
- Outdoor Kitchen menus for Epcot Flower and Garden Festival
- 3 Things We’d Been Missing at the Magic Kingdom...Until Now
- Backstage Tales begins today at Animal Kingdom
- Egg-Stravaganza Easter egg hunt back for the second year
- March merchandise events at Walt Disney World
- Blog - Magic Kingdom February Construction Update
- 5 Things I Didn't Learn Until my 5th Disney Cruise
- Backstage Safari tour ends today; the new Backstage Tales tour will begin March 1
- Universal follows Disney and raises ticket prices
- New menu items added at Raglan Road
- Dates announced for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party dates announced; tickets on sale in April
- Magic Kingdom resorts test direct bus to Typhoon Lagoon
- Disney World's Pirates of the Caribbean to be closed for the summer
- Why taking kids would never ruin a Disney Vacation
- Raglan Road's Mighty Festival: St Patrick's Week to be held March 13-17
- WonderGround Gallery expands at Marketplace Co-Op
- New menu items available at Downtown Disney's Fantasy Fare food truck
- ESPN's Mike and Mike show celebrates 15th anniversary with live broadcast
- Kong is OFFICIALLY coming back to Orlando
- Easy ways to stay healthy at Disney
- The Other Hawaii (Part 1): How to See the Best of the Islands from a Cruise Ship
- Military rates offered by Disney Cruise Line
- Florida residents can find discounted pricing on Disney Cruise Line
- Blog - Have you ever wondered? A peek into the Disney details
- Neil Patrick Harris to co-host World of Color: Celebrate!
- Disneyland Resort ticket prices increase
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increased
- Seven Resorts In Seven Days Part 7: Disney's Old Key West Resort
- Seven Resorts In Seven Days Part 6: Disney's Boardwalk Inn Resort
- Universal's ban on bottled water is lifted
- List of several new drinks planned for Epcot Flower & Garden Festival
- Seven Resorts In Seven Days Part 5: Disney's Yacht Club Resort
- Save up to 30% on a stay at Aulani - booking date extended!
- Blog - Federal Court Dismisses Lawsuit Alleging "Frozen" is "My Life Story"
- Seven Resorts In Seven Days Part 4: Disney's Beach Club Resort
- List of sample menu items from this year's upcoming Flower and Garden Festival
- 2015 Star Wars Weekends info and artwork released
See AllDCL DISCUSSIONS