SeaWorld to expand internationally?Leah Zanolla | Posted: Mar 19, 2014 | Updated: Mar 19, 2014 - 2:32:11 PM
SeaWorld is discussing expanding their market internationally. During an investors' financial report, SeaWorld Entertainment Inc. said they are working with potential partners to open a marine park overseas. Guests may worry that focusing on international businesses may harm the stateside parks, but John Gerner, managing director with tourism consulting firm Leisure Business Advisors, says, "The risks would likely be minimal since other theme park chains have pursued this approach without cannibalizing attendance at existing parks. Theme parks typically appeal to middle class families that are unable to frequently fly to visit parks in other countries." SeaWorld says it is actively pursuing international opportunities, but declined to mention which markets they were investigating.
SeaWorld just released its fourth-quarter financial figures and despite a decrease in attendance, revenue was up 3 percent to $272 million for the quarter and up 3 percent to $1.4 billion for the year. Attendance was down 4.1 percent for the year to 24.4 million visitors. Compensating for the drop in attendance was an increase in spending, up 7 percent per capita to $60.91 for the year. Jim Atchison, president and CEO of SeaWorld, said, "Delivering these results in a challenging operating environment is a testament to the strength of our brands, company, management team and, most importantly, our team members."
Also discussed was the impending increase in ticket prices. Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando raised ticket prices last month, but SeaWorld says they may wait until June to raise their prices. Atchison said that they've "taken note" of the other parks' ticket increase, but that his park was "more likely to make additional price increases" at the beginning of summer when new attractions were scheduled to open. The recent price hike by Disney came at an unexpected time; typically, Universal and SeaWorld both follow suit within the next week.
Daily Email DIS Updates
Stay Informed With All Things Disney!
Enter your email address below to receive DIS Updates by email – including News, Blogs, Podcasts, Discounts, and Disney Updates.
See AllDIS UPDATES
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
See AllRECENT DISCUSSIONS
More Info ORLANDO HOTELS