Details leaked about expansion of Universal's Wizarding World of Harry PotterLeah Zanolla | Posted: Mar 26, 2013 | Updated: Mar 26, 2013 - 9:47:51 AM
Rumored details about Universal's Wizarding World of Harry Potter expansion have been shared by Theme Park Insider. The site says they have seen detailed plans for the expansion and are now sharing what they've seen. Most of the information seems to be on par with rumors that have been circulating since word of the expansion came out. According to the site, here's what we can expect in this new land.
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is located at Universal's Islands of Adventure, but the plan for the expansion is to open the second area in Universal Studios and then connect the two with a train, the Hogwarts Express. Because the train would take you to the other park, a ticket location will be set up in the train station, allowing guests to upgrade to a park-to-park ticket before boarding the train. The new area will be themed like Diagon Alley, the street where Hogwarts students purchase their wizarding supplies. Diagon Alley will be hidden from the rest of the park behind facades of London landmarks; in the books, the street is located behind a pub, The Leaky Cauldron, with a secret entrance known only to wizards. The Leaky Cauldron will function as the area's restaurant; the secret entrance will be in a train station next to the eatery. Snacks can also be found at Florean Fortescue’s Ice Cream Parlour.
Diagon Alley will feature multiple levels for guests to explore, with train tracks rising above the area, stairways and tall buildings.
The main attraction in Diagon Alley will be a Gringotts roller coaster, which will end in a gift shop, Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions and Wiseacre's Wizarding Equipment. The coaster will have 12-person ride vehicles that will move on a track very similar to the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey attraction. Another store planned for the area is Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, a joke shop operated by the Weasley twins. A larger version of the popular Ollivander's Wand Shop was also mentioned, but it is unclear if this would replace the version in Hogsmeade or simply be a second location of the shop.
Knockturn Alley and its store, Borgin and Burkes, were also mentioned in the plans. Knockturn Alley features shops devoted to the Dark Arts.
The rumored date for Diagon Alley to open is July 2014, though until this information is officially released by Universal, this is all just speculation.
Daily Email DIS Updates
Stay Informed With All Things Disney!
Enter your email address below to receive DIS Updates by email – including News, Blogs, Podcasts, Discounts, and Disney Updates.
Sign Up & Win A Prize!
Each month we select one of our subscribers at random and give away a prize! Prizes range from a $50 Disney Gift Card, Adventures by Disney trip for two, or a 7 day/6 night stay at Walt Disney World with dining for a family of four!
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.