Opening date set for Universal's Cabana Bay Beach ResortLeah Zanolla | Posted: Feb 26, 2013 | Updated: Feb 26, 2013 - 3:24:50 PM
An opening day has been set for Universal's new Cabana Bay Beach Resort; reservations are now being accepted for stays beginning March 31, 2014. The resort will be the fourth on-site option for Universal guests and will cater to families by offering 900 suites and a lower price point, with standard rooms starting at $119 per night, and 430-square-foot family suites start at $174 per night. Families staying longer will even be eligible for discounts of up to 25 percent off.
There will be two distinct sections of the resort. The North Courtyard will be the first to open. This area will house 600 of the 900 family suites and be reminiscent of a 1950s and 60s motor court, with clean lines, bright colors and neon signs. Four-story buildings will have inside hallways to access rooms. Suites will be able to sleep six, with a fold-out bed, kitchenette, sliding privacy partition, two TVs and a large bathroom.
The North Courtyard's 10,000-square-foot, zero-entry pool will be a great place for familyâ€™s to cool off together. Kids will love the 100-foot water slide, waterfall features and a 4,000-square-foot interactive play area. Cabanas will be available to rent.
The South Courtyard will open later in 2014. This area will be themed differently than the North Courtyard, offering a tropical resort feel. Seven-story towers will surround a 8,000-square-foot pool and lazy river. There will also be a 6,000-square-foot sand beach nearby. The South Courtyard will house the remaining 300 family suites, as well as 900 standard guest rooms. The standard rooms are 300-square-feet and sleep four in two queen beds; a mini-fridge is also included in every room.
The hotel is designed to remind guests of "the driving vacations so many Americans grew up enjoying with their families - spending time at sweeping motor courts just off the highway, where families relaxed and played after a long day's drive."
Daily Email DIS Updates
Stay Informed With All Things Disney!
Enter your email address below to receive DIS Updates by email – including News, Blogs, Podcasts, Discounts, and Disney Updates.
Sign Up & Win A Prize!
Each month we select one of our subscribers at random and give away a prize! Prizes range from a $50 Disney Gift Card, Adventures by Disney trip for two, or a 7 day/6 night stay at Walt Disney World with dining for a family of four!
- Limited Time Magic: New Art Merchandise released - For the final Limited Time Magic surprise of the year, all-new art merchandise is being released.
- Food Trucks will be on the Streets of America for the holiday season - Food trucks will be available so guests will have extra options for counter service foods during the busy holiday season.
- The food court at All-Star Sports Resort has reopened with a new look - The End Zone Food Court has been reopened with a whole new look. The soda fountain has been expanded and there are new create-your-own burger, salad and pasta stations.
- Dates announced for Star Wars Weekends 2014 - This event will be held on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays May 16-June 8, 2014.
- Blog - Review: “Saving Mr. Banks”
- Blog - FastPass+ Test at Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- Sofia the First and Doc McStuffins will join Disney Junior Play 'n Dine - Beginning 1/26/14, Sofia the First and Doc McStuffins will replace Agent OSO and the Little Einsteins at Hollywood and Vine's character breakfast and lunch.
- Magic Kingdom monorails to run on shortened schedule through March - Beginning 1/21/14, the Magic Kingdom resort and Express monorails will be unavailable on weekdays between the hours of 11:30am to 7:00pm. This is a planned maintenance and will be in effect until the end of March 2014.
- Beaches and Cream begins accepting reservations today - This popular restaurant will now accept reservations.
- The Comedy Warehouse Holiday Special will return 12/21/13 - 1/5/14 - Alums from The Comedy Warehouse will return to perform in the show and use suggestions from the audience to remake holiday classics.
- Blog - The Top 10 Christmas Ornaments at Walt Disney World
- Blog - Review: “Mary Poppins” Returns With 50th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party sold out on December 20 - The last Party of the season is already sold out.
- DisneyQuest New Year's Eve information - Guests will be able to play all DisneyQuest games as well as attend 2 DJ dance parties and countdown to 2014 with a confetti drop and party favors. Character meet and greets will be available as well! Meet Chip 'n Dale, Buzz Lightyear and Wreck-It Ralph.
- Blog - Review: “it’s a small world: the animated series”
- Limited Time Magic: Celebrate Mary Poppins - Get your picture taken with Mary Poppins and Bert in Epcot's United Kingdom pavilion. Guests can also pick up a poster (while supplies last) that celebrates the new Saving Mr. Banks film and the 50th Anniversary of Mary Poppins.
- Blog - Preview: “Saving Mr. Banks”
- Beaches and Cream will begin accepting reservations December 18 - This small soda fountain restaurant serves burgers, sandwiches and their signature ice cream desserts.
- Blog - Best Places to View EPCOT’s Illuminations: Reflections of Earth
- VIDEO: Holiday Storytellers - The Canadian Holiday Voyageurs - New to Holidays Around The World 2013 at Epcot in 2013 are the Canadian Holiday Voyageurs. The Canadian Holiday Voyageurs play multiple sets each day filled with Christmas songs done the Canadian way on the Mill Stage.
- Blog - EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW with Jonathan Groff from FROZEN
- Guests at All Star Resorts will no longer receive Key to the World cards - As of 12/2/13, guests at All Star Sports Resort will no longer receive a Key to the World card. All information for the resort and parks will be on the Magic Band you receive when you check in. This will begin at All Star Music on 12/4/13 and at All Star Movies on 12/6/13. This system is already in place at Pop Century.
- VIDEO: it's a small world Holiday Full POV Ride-Through - The happiest cruise that ever sailed gets even merrier for the holidays. it's a small world, the 1964 World's Fair attraction that came to Disneyland in 1966, gets a full overlay for the holiday season including decorations and a new soundtrack!
- Atlanta Braves spring training tickets now on sale - The Atlanta Braves return to ESPN Wide World of Sports for their annual spring training. Tickets are first come/first served and the games take place at Champion Stadium.
- Blog - Give Kids the World Village and Giving Tuesday December 3, 2013
- VIDEO: Gran Fiesta Tour POV Ride-Through - Donald Duck disappears on his way to a Three Caballeros performance in Mexico City and his friends, José Carioca and Panchito Pistoles, set out to search for him.
- Blog - Brewing Now: Joffrey’s Disney Parks Collection of Coffees
- Blog - A Brit’s Perspective – Visiting the UK in Orlando
- Specialty food and drink offered for holidays at Epcot - New this holiday season, each country will be serving a specialty food and drink.
- New bus loop at Magic Kingdom open - In addition to regular single stops, there are several double stops that will accommodate two regular buses or one of the new articulated buses.
- Times and dates for Epcot holiday storytellers - Each country has its own special theme that highlights its culture. Storytellers will delight you with tales of their heritage and how the holidays are celebrated in their homeland.
- VIDEO: "Let It Go" from Disney's Frozen in Celebrate the Magic - This holiday season, "Let It Go" from Disney's Frozen is featured in Celebrate the Magic, the nighttime projection show on Cinderella Castle.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Main Street Plaza - Cinderella Castle - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Main Street Plaza - Cinderella Castle November 11, 2013 - Night
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Main Street U.S.A. Bridge - Main Street U.S.A. - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Main Street U.S.A. Bridge - Main Street U.S.A., November 11, 2013 - Night
- Blog - Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom: Turnstile-Free!
- New holiday entertainment for the Canada pavilion at Epcot - Follow the Canadian Holiday Voyageurs on a musical tour to discover the country's holiday customs.
- Blog - Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights 101
- Royal Caribbean is offering a $200 Onboard Credit and 50% Reduced Deposit! - The offer is only available for booking on December 2, 3 and 4, 2013.
- Disney Vacation Club members offered event at Splitsville Luxury Lanes - On December 2 and 9 from 5-6:45pm, the experience will include bowling, shoe rental, a shared appetizer, an entree (or kids' meal), a signature beverage and a special DVC gift.