Indy Racing Experience Review
Walt Disney World Speedway Orlando
Photo by: Corey Martin
Review by William Perry
Many thrill seekers that travel to Orlando have no clue where the best thrill ride in Central Florida really is. Most would easily guess a theme park, perhaps something at Islands of Adventure or a high-speed roller coaster, right?
Located just outside the Magic Kingdom sits a little jewel called the Walt Disney World Orlando Speedway. You’ve probably driven right by it on your way to the Kingdom and may have not even noticed it was there. Inside this mile speedway awaits an experience of a lifetime, the Indy Racing Experience.
Here is your chance to get up close and personal with an Indy Car. The Indy Racing Experience offers a couple options at the track. One is a ride along and the other is to actually drive an Indy Car. I had the opportunity to experience both the ride and drive programs and glad I did, as they are very different from each other.
A ride along is a great way for anyone to get the ultimate thrill ride (in my opinion) and feel the true power of a race car as you circle the track at 120mph with a professional driver behind the wheel. You won’t find that at any theme park. The ride along is absolutely amazing and is very reasonably priced for the experience. You’ll reach speeds around 120-130mph while a professional driver rockets you around the mile speedway. This experience gets you up to speed quick and gives you a taste of what these cars can actually do. Very exciting experience, well worth the money for the ride along I’d have to recommend it for any thrill seeker.
The Walt Disney World Orlando Speedway is one of two places where you can actually get behind the wheel and drive one of these $250,000 machines that have graced the famous bricks of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. If you’ve chosen to do the drive experience you’ll first be given a safety class going over the on track instructions and details of the car, pedals, switches, etc. No need for shifting in this experience, however you are required to use the clutch when leaving and returning to pit road. You’ll be following a lead car around the track; the goal is to keep pace about six car lengths back. The lead car will gain speed, as you get faster and more comfortable. You will instantly feel the power of this car, you only sit about three inches off the ground when you’re in the vehicle. This makes the gravity force that much stronger and it takes a little getting used to. You're also sitting in the middle of the car, sunk down in a jet fighter like cockpit. The feeling is absolutely unmatched to anything I’ve ever been in or drove. The responsiveness of the vehicle is completely amazing and handles like you think it would. Trust in the vehicle, these cars are meant to do one thing, go fast!
If I had the chance to do the programs again for the first time, I’d do the ride along first and then the drive experience. This way I would have really known and felt what these cars were capable of doing. All programs require you to wear a full NOMAX racing suite, helmet, shoes, and gloves. You must be at least 18 years old, 250lbs or less, and under 6’5”. I will recommend wearing shorts, and don’t forget to bring socks.
The Walt Disney World Orlando Speedway offers the ultimate Orlando thrill ride in my opinion. For anyone that seeks thrill, or just has a passion for cars or going fast, this is a must-do and well worth the money.
Having experienced both the Richard Petty Driving Experience (NASCAR) and now the Indy Racing experience its nice to be able to compare the two. Here is how all my experiences stack up: Indy drive along, Indy ride along, and then Richard Petty drive.
I think its safe to say its hard not to have a good time at the Walt Disney World Speedway. Every time I’ve been there I’ve absolutely had an experience I’ll never forget and memories to remind me forever. If you’re still on the fence, book a ride along and thank me later!
Have questions? Feel free to email me. Also, be sure to let me know about your experience at this ride! I'd love to hear from you.
- New events added to Epcot International Food & Wine Festival - Late Nights LIVE! and new Premium Package events added.
- Astro Orbiter rehab extended by one week - Originally scheduled to end September 19, the ride will now reopen September 28.
- Food & Wine Festival Premium events now available for booking - This includes seminars, signature dining experiences and other special events.
- Changes coming to Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It Street Party? - An update is rumored for this parade later this year, possibly around October. Possible changes are new music; Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Donald moving to the top of the floats; and Stitch joining the fun. Sebastian, Lumiere, and The Mad Hatter will leave the parade.
- During pool rehab, Polynesian guests will have free admission to Blizzard Beach - Originally, the resort guests were just going to be given one-day tickets to the water park, but that has been changed. They will now have complimentary unlimited admission to Blizzard Beach during their stay at the Polynesian.
- List of restaurants participating in the 2015 Disney Dining Plan - This list will be updated as more restaurants are added. Epcot and Downtown Disney restaurants don't normally finalize their participation until later in the year.
- 2015 Magic Your Way Disney World packages released! - A Walt Disney World package is a resort room and theme park admission. The Disney Dining Plan may also be added.
- Happy 15th Birthday to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith! - The attraction originally opened its doors at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 29, 1999.
- Victoria & Albert's will no longer accept Tables in Wonderland - This begins August 1, 2014.
- Summertime Pals Ink & Paint Cel release - This limited release will be available at the event, or pre-order by September 25 at 5:00pm EST.
- Haunted Mansion merchandise shop coming to Magic Kingdom - The former Yankee Trader shop will become a Haunted Mansion merchandise location in the near future. The decor will be inspired by Madame Leota and will carry items from the Haunted Mansion Authentic program, such as apparel, home goods, souvenirs and more.
- Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings for August - List of authors and artists coming to the theme parks for signings and merchandise releases.
- List of characters updated for Villains Unleashed! event - Over 50 Disney villains will be taking over the park until the 13th hour!
- Beginning today, PhotoPass print packages are no longer offered table-side at character meals - This includes Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Tusker House Restaurant.
- Disney Visa cardholders can book Food & Wine Festival events early - Disney Visa cardholders can book special events two days earlier than the general public - on July 29 and July 30 from 7:00am-11:00pm EST.
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit