Send BAWB to the Parks-Golfing around Orlando
- Disney World Golf Courses Main
- Rates for Golf
- Disney World Mini Golf Courses
With over 200 golf courses in the eleven counties making up the Central Florida area, finding the best is no easy task. Many of these courses are considered some of the finest in the country according to Golf Digest.
Naturally, my foray began with the Disney courses. For those of you who are interested in official rankings, Golf Digest gives Disney’s Palm, Magnolia, and Lake Buena Vista Golf courses a 4 out of 5 star rating, with Osprey Ridge earning 4 ½ stars. In October these courses host the final PGA tournament of the season, most recently sponsored by the Children’s Miracle Network.
Some of the world’s best golfers, including Tiger Woods and golf legend Payne Stewart, have played the Disney courses. Because of the depth of today’s players, both the Palm and Magnolia were redesigned to make them more challenging.
Since leaving the snow and ice of Massachusetts and relocating to Florida in 2000, I’ve played all of the Disney courses with the exception of the Oak Trail 9 hole walking course. Visually, the courses are works of art and are meticulously maintained year round.
One thing you catch onto quickly, you’re not in the theme parks anymore. Those aren’t animatronics, they’re real wild turkeys, raccoons, hawks, sand hill cranes, scrub jays, gopher tortoises, deer and Bald Eagles that you might get a glimpse of. And since you’re in Florida, there are gators. While recently playing a round at Magnolia, I spotted a six foot alligator keeping a watchful eye on a turkey.
Some of the things that I noted during that round at Magnolia:
- The day we played, golf carts were restricted to the cart paths. While I was told this isn’t an everyday occurrence, it can happen and will mean a lot more walking.
- The course was in excellent shape and it was fun imagining that this is the same course Tiger Woods has played on.
- All the cast members were very friendly and helpful.
- A refreshment cart selling sandwiches and beverages made the rounds several times.
In comparing the three Disney courses, I like Osprey Ridge the best. It’s easy to see why it earned the highest ranking of the Disney courses. You can’t beat spending a few hours in its a natural setting while playing a challenging round of golf.
Here’s a link to a more detailed view of each Disney golf course, how to book tee times and rates: http://www.wdwinfo.com/recreation/golf_main.htm
As you see, pricing for the Disney courses falls in the $159.00 range, which I think is a bit on the high side. (Keep in mind that these rates include a GPS equipped golf cart.) Still, if you want to play a pro course, it’s worth the cost to experience top tier golfing.
Fortunately, there are discounts. Let me give you a tip for saving some money. If you book a “Twilight Special”, you can play a round of golf at close to 40 - 50% off the daytime greens fee. Depending on the time of year, the starts are at either 2 pm or 3 pm. Now, there’s a reason they call it “Twilight.” When we teed off at 2pm at Magnolia, we could barely see where the balls had headed by the time we reached the 18th hole. (Bring night vision goggles.)
If you’re a Disney Vacation Club member, look into the DVC Golf Membership Card. For $50, you get reduced greens fees for yourself and up to three guests. There are some restrictions for this annual membership, but the savings are substantial. Take a look at the DVC member site for details.
Disney also has a similar package for Florida residents. This offer is Disney's Annual Golf Membership, which is also good for one calendar year. There’s also a Disney Annual Passholder discount and a Disney Golf Classic Club. For details, look here:
Here’s a great tip for guests staying at a Disney Resort. When you book a round at a Disney golf course, you’ll get complimentary taxi service to the golf course.
There are also a number of really nice courses close by with similar ratings (and prices) as the Disney courses. Here are some of the best:
Falcon's Fire Golf Club in Kissimmee, Florida
Falcon's Fire Golf Club in Kissimmee is a semi-private golf course that is well maintained. It's a very open course, with wide fairways that allow you plenty of room for your drives. This course is one of Florida’s best and you can book tee time online. The course is located a few miles outside of Disney World and is easily reached by car.
Water is in play on at least 10 of the courses holes
A real Falcon's nest is located near the 15th green.
The 7th hole is a whopping 500 plus yards
You will find 15 bunkers on hole #13 which why they call it “Bunker Hill.
Celebration Golf Club in Celebration Florida –
I never personally played this course, but I frequently pass by and it’s easy to see that it is very well maintained. Greens fees run $144.15 weekdays and $155.15 weekends.
* Rated 4 and a half Stars by Golf Digest "Best Places to Play" 2004-2007
* Voted in the top 25 Best Family Golf Resorts by Women Magazine 2007
* Host site to the Golf Channel's Drive, Chip & Putt National Championship 2006-2008
Orange County National Country Club
Winter Garden, FL
Orange County National features 36 championship holes: Panther Lake and Crooked Cat. The courses have two of the best layouts in the state of Florida. The PGA Tour has chosen these courses for the PGA Tour Q-School Finals. The practice range is rated as one of the best in America according to Golfer Magazine. Please note there is a very strict cancellation policy at these two golf courses.
Panther Lake Course Awards
* 4 1/2 Stars "Best Places to Play" - Golf Digest, 2000 - 2007
* PGA Tour Q-School Finals - 2003 & 2005
Crooked Cat Course
Crooked Cat is a "links" style course with a great course design.
Crooked Cat Course Awards
* 4 1/2 Stars "Best Places to Play" - Golf Digest, 2000 - 2007
* PGA Tour Q-School Finals - 2003 & 2005
* "Best Public Course" - Orlando Magazine, 2004
Rounds played between January 1, 2008 and December 31, 2008 includes pre round range balls, bottled water on carts, GPS yardage and scoring systems in the cart
Orange Lake Legends Golf Course:
This 4 star rated 18-hole championship course is what Golf Digest says is the best kept secret in Central Florida.
Orange Lake Reserve Course:
This course has been ranked by Golf Magazine as one of the top 50 places to play in Florida. The Reserve at Orange Lake highlights the local areas wetlands, and is home to a variety of wildlife.
ChampionsGate International Course:
ChampionsGate is just 15 minutes from Disney World. The International course is one of the highest rated courses in Florida.
Here is a link to the local golf courses:
If you’re staying at the Hard Rock Hotel, the Portofino Bay Hotel or the Royal Pacific Hotel, you can take advantage of the Golf Universal Orlando program. There are four courses that participate:
Metro West Golf Club
Mystic Dunes Golf Club
Panther Lake at Orange County National Golf Center
Crooked Cat at Orange County National Golf Center
To make a tee time or get more information, call (407) 503-3097 or email email@example.com .
I’m from Clermont. While it’s not around the corner from Disney World, there are some great courses found in Lake County if you’re willing to drive about a half an hour.
These courses are the ones that I head to when I have out of town guests:
Kings Ridge South Course:
This course has a very hilly terrain and gives a golfer a real challenge.
King's Ridge North Course:
This is a par 57, par 3 golf course. It makes for a good afternoon of golf that allows you to get in those second 18 holes. It’s a short "executive" style course which usually can be finished in less than four hours.
Legends Golf and Country Club:
This course is the one that my friends always ask to play when they’re in town. The course offers spectacular views from one of the highest elevations in central Florida. The Legends golf course is less than a half hour drive from Walt Disney World.
The links in this article also include discounts at many of the golf courses. I’ve also found that it pays to ask if there are special offers when booking tee times. There have been times when there were discounts that I wasn’t aware of.
If you know of any tips about golfing in Central Florida, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Blog - Polynesian Village Resort at Walt Disney World debuts new lobby
- Perfectly Prepared Princess Package available at Ivy Trellis Salon - From January 8, 2015 through March, young princesses can get a princess hairdo, glitter and tiara for $50 and add princess makeup for $25. For $90, choose hair, makeup and manicure.
- Take a Break From the Wait: Minimal Wait Times In The Magic Kingdom
- (Really) Running around in Walt Disney World
- Haunted Mansion reopens after refurb - The attraction has been closed since the beginning of the month.
- 3 Must-See Character Spots That You Might Have Missed - Today, we will look specifically at 3 Character Meet & Greets that we were completely unaware of and that absolutely made our trip.
- STK Orlando to open at Disney Springs, plus other retailers apply - STK will open in 2015.
- Blog - Christmas by the Numbers at Walt Disney World
- Trattoria al Forno now open at Disney's BoardWalk - This Italian restaurant has opened in the space vacated by Kouzzina by Cat Cora.
- Disney World for College Students: The Spring Break Alternative - When one thinks of Walt Disney World they often think of a place fit for families and little kids and while that is true the allure is for many more. It is certainly not a Spring Breakers-esque destination for college kids but, it can be a great time for all who want to go.
- 4 Reasons Why Tomorrowland Needs Change
- Traveling with kids Part 2 - Bites - Anyone who has traveled with kids knows how important it is to keep them well-fed and hydrated. Actually, that's just a good rule in general...
- Registration now open for the 2015 Expedition Everest Challenge - This event will be held 5/1-5/2/15.
- How Magically Sluggish WiFi Made My Disney Experience Perfect
- Woman dead after car collides with Disney bus - A Windermere, FL, woman is dead after her car collided with a Disney bus.
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party sold out on December 16 - The only available date remaining is December 18.
- Do You Remember the First Time? - I still have very clear memories about my first visit all those years ago. It was 1980, and even though I only spent two days in the Magic Kingdom, as that was the only park to visit, something about the experience clearly resonated deeply with me.
- Information and artist renderings of new Polynesian DVC property - There will be 20 Bungalows and 360 Deluxe Studios.
- Beginning 3/8/15, characters will be at Tusker House dinners - Reservations are now available.
- Aulani plans Christmas festivities - There will be seasonal crafts, movie nights, Christmas dinner and a Holiday Starlit Hui.
- Traveling With Kids Part 1 - Boredom - In this article, Iíll specifically talk about Boredom and some ways to keep the kids entertained while you travel.
- Itinerary change for 12/19/15 Disney Fantasy sailing - This sailing will visit Tortola instead of St. Maarten.
- One Band's Dream | Why Walt would have loved the idea of Magic Bands and FastPass+ - I tend to give Disney the benefit of the doubt in most cases. I want to think that Walt's grand idea of a magical place for families to come and enjoy is still the driving force behind the company. When listening to responses to Fast Pass+ and Magic Bands however, that doesn't seem to be a popular viewpoint. So I am going to come to the defense of these programs and try and offer a slightly more optimistic point of view.
- Purchase tickets directly through My Disney Experience app - Guests can now purchase tickets directly through My Disney Experience. Tickets can be 1-10 days, either one-park or park hoppers. Tickets can be assigned to existing Family and Friends and then Fastpass+ reservations can be made.
- What to Expect When You're Expecting... at Disney - There are many reasons a woman might find herself on a Disney parks vacation while pregnant. Maybe an older child is celebrating a big birthday. Maybe itís a family reunion. Maybe this trip was planned well in advance and now youíre facing it with a happy bundle of joy on the way.
- Blog - Frozen Welcomes the Hour of Code
- "The Taste of Hollywood Winter Holiday Grab n Go" boxed meals offered at Hollywood Studios - These are available from 12/24-12/31 and include reserved seating for Fantasmic.
- Update on check-in times for Tomorrowland Terrace Fireworks Dessert Party - If your reservation is between 6:00 and 6:20pm, you should check in one hour before the fireworks.
- Exposition Park, home to the Disney food trucks, opens at Downtown Disney - This area is located between Bongo's Cuban Cafe and Starbucks.
- Memory Maker pre-purchase price raised to $169 - The price was previously $149.
- Character meals planned for Star Wars Weekends - The Jedi Mickey's Star Wars Dine and the Star Wars Galactic Dine-In Breakfast are back for the second year.
- The Paul McKenna Band joins entertainment at United Kingdom Pavilion - The 4-piece acoustic folk band will perform several times daily.
- Dates announced for 2015 Star Wars Weekends - The event will be held Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, May 15 - June 14, 2015
- December merchandise events at Walt Disney World - Meet Disney artists for signings and appearances around Walt Disney World.
- runDisney reveals medals for Princess Half Marathon Weekend - This event will be held 2/19/15 - 2/22/15.
- Blog - Peter Pan's Flight's new queue opens at Magic Kingdom
- Tangled Tributes - Kingdom Crossing at the Magic Kingdom - I've been through here many times, but after watching the movie so many times recently, I was really struck by all the details here in the theming. There are so many little nods to the film that most guests probably just walk right by.
- Candlelight Processional begins tonight with narrator Jodi Benson - The Candlelight Processional takes place November 28 - December 30, 2014.
- Blog - Vintage Christmas Merchandise at Walt Disney World
- VIDEO: 2014 Walt Disney World Holiday Showcase - Join JeniLynn Knopp of the DIS Unplugged as she speaks with Steven Miller about holiday merchandise and shopping, Robert Hargrove and Santa Stitch about holiday entertainment, and Flash, Garland and The Boss about decorating Walt Disney World!
- 3 Surprising Things About Working at Mission: SPACE - Hereís a few of the things I learned about the attraction and about being a cast member at Mission: SPACE.
- Blog - A Weekend at Give Kids the World Village
- Christmas Eve dinner available for Disney Vacation Club members - The dinner will include a buffet, Christmas carolers and photo ops with Mickey and Minnie.
- Walt Disney World New Year's Eve dining information - Many of the restaurants will offer special meals or dining events to celebrate the holiday.
- Discounts and payment plans available at Walt Disney World Speedway - Several of the driving experiences are available with a discount through the holidays.
- Epcot's Canadian Lumberjack show on hiatus - The show will resume 1/4/15.
- Play nine holes of golf at Disney for just $29 - Play 9 holes at the Disney golf courses starting anytime between 7:00 and 8:30am for just $29.
- Details for 2015 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - Anna and Elsa topiaries will be on display at World Showcase Plaza.
- Epcot's Spice Road Table now accepts reservations - Reservations are available beginning December 2.
- The Comedy Warehouse Holiday Special to return to Hollywood Studios - This improvisational comedy show will return to the Premier Theater at Hollywood Studios from December 21, 2014 - January 4, 2015.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Magic Kingdom Hub - Cinderella Castle - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Magic Kingdom Hub - Cinderella Castle
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - The Diamond Horseshoe Balcony - The Diamond Horseshoe - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at The Diamond Horseshoe Balcony - The Diamond Horseshoe
- Save up to 30% on a stay at Aulani - Discount is available most nights 4/6 - 6/15/15.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Bay Lake Tower 15th Floor - Magic Kingdom - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Bay Lake Tower 15th Floor - Magic Kingdom
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party sold out on November 20 - There are still many MVMCP dates available.
- Plan B Character Dining at Walt Disney World - If youíre looking to make a reservation for a character meal and canít get one, weíve got a couple of suggestions for places you may not have thought of.
- Blizzard Beach to be closed November 17 due to cold temperatures - Typhoon Lagoon is already closed for its annual refurbishment.
- Top 5(+) things that are better at Walt Disney World than at Disneyland - Bigger may not always be better, but isn't always worse either. I can't resist countering with an article that lists, in my view, the things that are better at Walt Disney World.
- Guests meeting Santa at Downtown Disney have new notification option - Guests will get pagers if the wait exceeds 30 minutes (or they can choose to receive a text message instead). When their pager goes off and they return to Santa's Chalet, they will have about a 20 minute wait.
- Disney Visa cardholders get a special gift when taking advantage of Aulani discount - When booking the 4th night free offer, Disney Visa cardholders will also receive a special Welcome Gift at check-in with specialty items and signature Aulani merchandise ($98 value).