Send BAWB to the Parks-Golfing around Orlando
- Disney World Golf Courses Main
- Rates for Golf
- Disney World Mini Golf Courses
With over 200 golf courses in the eleven counties making up the Central Florida area, finding the best is no easy task. Many of these courses are considered some of the finest in the country according to Golf Digest.
Naturally, my foray began with the Disney courses. For those of you who are interested in official rankings, Golf Digest gives Disney’s Palm, Magnolia, and Lake Buena Vista Golf courses a 4 out of 5 star rating, with Osprey Ridge earning 4 ½ stars. In October these courses host the final PGA tournament of the season, most recently sponsored by the Children’s Miracle Network.
Some of the world’s best golfers, including Tiger Woods and golf legend Payne Stewart, have played the Disney courses. Because of the depth of today’s players, both the Palm and Magnolia were redesigned to make them more challenging.
Since leaving the snow and ice of Massachusetts and relocating to Florida in 2000, I’ve played all of the Disney courses with the exception of the Oak Trail 9 hole walking course. Visually, the courses are works of art and are meticulously maintained year round.
One thing you catch onto quickly, you’re not in the theme parks anymore. Those aren’t animatronics, they’re real wild turkeys, raccoons, hawks, sand hill cranes, scrub jays, gopher tortoises, deer and Bald Eagles that you might get a glimpse of. And since you’re in Florida, there are gators. While recently playing a round at Magnolia, I spotted a six foot alligator keeping a watchful eye on a turkey.
Some of the things that I noted during that round at Magnolia:
- The day we played, golf carts were restricted to the cart paths. While I was told this isn’t an everyday occurrence, it can happen and will mean a lot more walking.
- The course was in excellent shape and it was fun imagining that this is the same course Tiger Woods has played on.
- All the cast members were very friendly and helpful.
- A refreshment cart selling sandwiches and beverages made the rounds several times.
In comparing the three Disney courses, I like Osprey Ridge the best. It’s easy to see why it earned the highest ranking of the Disney courses. You can’t beat spending a few hours in its a natural setting while playing a challenging round of golf.
Here’s a link to a more detailed view of each Disney golf course, how to book tee times and rates: http://www.wdwinfo.com/recreation/golf_main.htm
As you see, pricing for the Disney courses falls in the $159.00 range, which I think is a bit on the high side. (Keep in mind that these rates include a GPS equipped golf cart.) Still, if you want to play a pro course, it’s worth the cost to experience top tier golfing.
Fortunately, there are discounts. Let me give you a tip for saving some money. If you book a “Twilight Special”, you can play a round of golf at close to 40 - 50% off the daytime greens fee. Depending on the time of year, the starts are at either 2 pm or 3 pm. Now, there’s a reason they call it “Twilight.” When we teed off at 2pm at Magnolia, we could barely see where the balls had headed by the time we reached the 18th hole. (Bring night vision goggles.)
If you’re a Disney Vacation Club member, look into the DVC Golf Membership Card. For $50, you get reduced greens fees for yourself and up to three guests. There are some restrictions for this annual membership, but the savings are substantial. Take a look at the DVC member site for details.
Disney also has a similar package for Florida residents. This offer is Disney's Annual Golf Membership, which is also good for one calendar year. There’s also a Disney Annual Passholder discount and a Disney Golf Classic Club. For details, look here:
Here’s a great tip for guests staying at a Disney Resort. When you book a round at a Disney golf course, you’ll get complimentary taxi service to the golf course.
There are also a number of really nice courses close by with similar ratings (and prices) as the Disney courses. Here are some of the best:
Falcon's Fire Golf Club in Kissimmee, Florida
Falcon's Fire Golf Club in Kissimmee is a semi-private golf course that is well maintained. It's a very open course, with wide fairways that allow you plenty of room for your drives. This course is one of Florida’s best and you can book tee time online. The course is located a few miles outside of Disney World and is easily reached by car.
Water is in play on at least 10 of the courses holes
A real Falcon's nest is located near the 15th green.
The 7th hole is a whopping 500 plus yards
You will find 15 bunkers on hole #13 which why they call it “Bunker Hill.
Celebration Golf Club in Celebration Florida –
I never personally played this course, but I frequently pass by and it’s easy to see that it is very well maintained. Greens fees run $144.15 weekdays and $155.15 weekends.
* Rated 4 and a half Stars by Golf Digest "Best Places to Play" 2004-2007
* Voted in the top 25 Best Family Golf Resorts by Women Magazine 2007
* Host site to the Golf Channel's Drive, Chip & Putt National Championship 2006-2008
Orange County National Country Club
Winter Garden, FL
Orange County National features 36 championship holes: Panther Lake and Crooked Cat. The courses have two of the best layouts in the state of Florida. The PGA Tour has chosen these courses for the PGA Tour Q-School Finals. The practice range is rated as one of the best in America according to Golfer Magazine. Please note there is a very strict cancellation policy at these two golf courses.
Panther Lake Course Awards
* 4 1/2 Stars "Best Places to Play" - Golf Digest, 2000 - 2007
* PGA Tour Q-School Finals - 2003 & 2005
Crooked Cat Course
Crooked Cat is a "links" style course with a great course design.
Crooked Cat Course Awards
* 4 1/2 Stars "Best Places to Play" - Golf Digest, 2000 - 2007
* PGA Tour Q-School Finals - 2003 & 2005
* "Best Public Course" - Orlando Magazine, 2004
Rounds played between January 1, 2008 and December 31, 2008 includes pre round range balls, bottled water on carts, GPS yardage and scoring systems in the cart
Orange Lake Legends Golf Course:
This 4 star rated 18-hole championship course is what Golf Digest says is the best kept secret in Central Florida.
Orange Lake Reserve Course:
This course has been ranked by Golf Magazine as one of the top 50 places to play in Florida. The Reserve at Orange Lake highlights the local areas wetlands, and is home to a variety of wildlife.
ChampionsGate International Course:
ChampionsGate is just 15 minutes from Disney World. The International course is one of the highest rated courses in Florida.
Here is a link to the local golf courses:
If you’re staying at the Hard Rock Hotel, the Portofino Bay Hotel or the Royal Pacific Hotel, you can take advantage of the Golf Universal Orlando program. There are four courses that participate:
Metro West Golf Club
Mystic Dunes Golf Club
Panther Lake at Orange County National Golf Center
Crooked Cat at Orange County National Golf Center
To make a tee time or get more information, call (407) 503-3097 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
I’m from Clermont. While it’s not around the corner from Disney World, there are some great courses found in Lake County if you’re willing to drive about a half an hour.
These courses are the ones that I head to when I have out of town guests:
Kings Ridge South Course:
This course has a very hilly terrain and gives a golfer a real challenge.
King's Ridge North Course:
This is a par 57, par 3 golf course. It makes for a good afternoon of golf that allows you to get in those second 18 holes. It’s a short "executive" style course which usually can be finished in less than four hours.
Legends Golf and Country Club:
This course is the one that my friends always ask to play when they’re in town. The course offers spectacular views from one of the highest elevations in central Florida. The Legends golf course is less than a half hour drive from Walt Disney World.
The links in this article also include discounts at many of the golf courses. I’ve also found that it pays to ask if there are special offers when booking tee times. There have been times when there were discounts that I wasn’t aware of.
If you know of any tips about golfing in Central Florida, drop us a line at email@example.com
- Blog - Disney's Festival of Fantasy Parade debuts at the Magic Kingdom!
- VIDEO - Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade - Festival of Fantasy is the brand new daily parade at the Magic Kingdom bringing the characters and stories of New Fantasyland to life! Brand new floats and costumes were produced for the parade featuring characters from Frozen, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Princess and the Frog, Brave, Dumbo, Pinocchio, The Little Mermaid, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, Tangled, Fantasia, Snow White and more!
- Photo Gallery of the Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade - The "Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade" celebrates New Fantasyland with new innovative floats, costumes and an all-new soundtrack that features songs from popular Disney films.
- VIDEO - Topiaries at Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - The Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival is better than before in 2014 and features some of the most beautiful and elaborate topiaries seen anywhere. New this year includes 'Spring is in the Air!' featuring Goofy, Donald and Daisy as you enter the park; Soccer Goofy and Donald; and Kermit the Frog & Miss Piggy inspired by "Muppets Most Wanted". Returning favorites include Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Buzz Lightyear, Lightning McQueen, Tow Mater, Phineas and Ferb, Tinker Bell, Bambi and Friends, Peter Pan and Captain Hook, Winnie the Pooh and Friends, Classic Disney Couples, Woody, Lady and the Tramp, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Lion King, Pandas, Troll and Fantasia!
- VIDEO - Outdoor Kitchens at Epcot Flower & Garden Festival - After the popular introduction in 2013, the outdoor kitchens are back at the 2014 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival serving up some of the finest and freshest food at Epcot in a similar fashion to the Food & Wine Festival. Outdoor kitchens include Pineapple Promenade, The Buttercup Cottage, Fleur de Lys, Taste of Marrakesh, Hanami, The Smokehouse: Barbecue and Brews, Primavera Kitchen, Florida Fresh, Lotus House, Jardin de Fiestas, and the new Urban Farm EATS!
- VIDEO - Festival Center at the Flower & Garden Festival - Video of the Festival Center at Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival 2014. The festival center is where you can find many of the seminars and presentations featured during the Festival.
- 2014 Flower & Garden Festival Photos - 2014 photo gallery of Epcot's International Flower & Garden Festival
- Inaugural Disney Fit Challenge to be held in September - Competitions will include tests of power, speed, balance, strength and endurance.
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.