Send BAWB to the Parks-Golfing around Orlando
- Disney World Golf Courses Main
- Rates for Golf
- Disney World Mini Golf Courses
With over 200 golf courses in the eleven counties making up the Central Florida area, finding the best is no easy task. Many of these courses are considered some of the finest in the country according to Golf Digest.
Naturally, my foray began with the Disney courses. For those of you who are interested in official rankings, Golf Digest gives Disney’s Palm, Magnolia, and Lake Buena Vista Golf courses a 4 out of 5 star rating, with Osprey Ridge earning 4 ½ stars. In October these courses host the final PGA tournament of the season, most recently sponsored by the Children’s Miracle Network.
Some of the world’s best golfers, including Tiger Woods and golf legend Payne Stewart, have played the Disney courses. Because of the depth of today’s players, both the Palm and Magnolia were redesigned to make them more challenging.
Since leaving the snow and ice of Massachusetts and relocating to Florida in 2000, I’ve played all of the Disney courses with the exception of the Oak Trail 9 hole walking course. Visually, the courses are works of art and are meticulously maintained year round.
One thing you catch onto quickly, you’re not in the theme parks anymore. Those aren’t animatronics, they’re real wild turkeys, raccoons, hawks, sand hill cranes, scrub jays, gopher tortoises, deer and Bald Eagles that you might get a glimpse of. And since you’re in Florida, there are gators. While recently playing a round at Magnolia, I spotted a six foot alligator keeping a watchful eye on a turkey.
Some of the things that I noted during that round at Magnolia:
- The day we played, golf carts were restricted to the cart paths. While I was told this isn’t an everyday occurrence, it can happen and will mean a lot more walking.
- The course was in excellent shape and it was fun imagining that this is the same course Tiger Woods has played on.
- All the cast members were very friendly and helpful.
- A refreshment cart selling sandwiches and beverages made the rounds several times.
In comparing the three Disney courses, I like Osprey Ridge the best. It’s easy to see why it earned the highest ranking of the Disney courses. You can’t beat spending a few hours in its a natural setting while playing a challenging round of golf.
Here’s a link to a more detailed view of each Disney golf course, how to book tee times and rates: http://www.wdwinfo.com/recreation/golf_main.htm
As you see, pricing for the Disney courses falls in the $159.00 range, which I think is a bit on the high side. (Keep in mind that these rates include a GPS equipped golf cart.) Still, if you want to play a pro course, it’s worth the cost to experience top tier golfing.
Fortunately, there are discounts. Let me give you a tip for saving some money. If you book a “Twilight Special”, you can play a round of golf at close to 40 - 50% off the daytime greens fee. Depending on the time of year, the starts are at either 2 pm or 3 pm. Now, there’s a reason they call it “Twilight.” When we teed off at 2pm at Magnolia, we could barely see where the balls had headed by the time we reached the 18th hole. (Bring night vision goggles.)
If you’re a Disney Vacation Club member, look into the DVC Golf Membership Card. For $50, you get reduced greens fees for yourself and up to three guests. There are some restrictions for this annual membership, but the savings are substantial. Take a look at the DVC member site for details.
Disney also has a similar package for Florida residents. This offer is Disney's Annual Golf Membership, which is also good for one calendar year. There’s also a Disney Annual Passholder discount and a Disney Golf Classic Club. For details, look here:
Here’s a great tip for guests staying at a Disney Resort. When you book a round at a Disney golf course, you’ll get complimentary taxi service to the golf course.
There are also a number of really nice courses close by with similar ratings (and prices) as the Disney courses. Here are some of the best:
Falcon's Fire Golf Club in Kissimmee, Florida
Falcon's Fire Golf Club in Kissimmee is a semi-private golf course that is well maintained. It's a very open course, with wide fairways that allow you plenty of room for your drives. This course is one of Florida’s best and you can book tee time online. The course is located a few miles outside of Disney World and is easily reached by car.
Water is in play on at least 10 of the courses holes
A real Falcon's nest is located near the 15th green.
The 7th hole is a whopping 500 plus yards
You will find 15 bunkers on hole #13 which why they call it “Bunker Hill.
Celebration Golf Club in Celebration Florida –
I never personally played this course, but I frequently pass by and it’s easy to see that it is very well maintained. Greens fees run $144.15 weekdays and $155.15 weekends.
* Rated 4 and a half Stars by Golf Digest "Best Places to Play" 2004-2007
* Voted in the top 25 Best Family Golf Resorts by Women Magazine 2007
* Host site to the Golf Channel's Drive, Chip & Putt National Championship 2006-2008
Orange County National Country Club
Winter Garden, FL
Orange County National features 36 championship holes: Panther Lake and Crooked Cat. The courses have two of the best layouts in the state of Florida. The PGA Tour has chosen these courses for the PGA Tour Q-School Finals. The practice range is rated as one of the best in America according to Golfer Magazine. Please note there is a very strict cancellation policy at these two golf courses.
Panther Lake Course Awards
* 4 1/2 Stars "Best Places to Play" - Golf Digest, 2000 - 2007
* PGA Tour Q-School Finals - 2003 & 2005
Crooked Cat Course
Crooked Cat is a "links" style course with a great course design.
Crooked Cat Course Awards
* 4 1/2 Stars "Best Places to Play" - Golf Digest, 2000 - 2007
* PGA Tour Q-School Finals - 2003 & 2005
* "Best Public Course" - Orlando Magazine, 2004
Rounds played between January 1, 2008 and December 31, 2008 includes pre round range balls, bottled water on carts, GPS yardage and scoring systems in the cart
Orange Lake Legends Golf Course:
This 4 star rated 18-hole championship course is what Golf Digest says is the best kept secret in Central Florida.
Orange Lake Reserve Course:
This course has been ranked by Golf Magazine as one of the top 50 places to play in Florida. The Reserve at Orange Lake highlights the local areas wetlands, and is home to a variety of wildlife.
ChampionsGate International Course:
ChampionsGate is just 15 minutes from Disney World. The International course is one of the highest rated courses in Florida.
Here is a link to the local golf courses:
If you’re staying at the Hard Rock Hotel, the Portofino Bay Hotel or the Royal Pacific Hotel, you can take advantage of the Golf Universal Orlando program. There are four courses that participate:
Metro West Golf Club
Mystic Dunes Golf Club
Panther Lake at Orange County National Golf Center
Crooked Cat at Orange County National Golf Center
To make a tee time or get more information, call (407) 503-3097 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
I’m from Clermont. While it’s not around the corner from Disney World, there are some great courses found in Lake County if you’re willing to drive about a half an hour.
These courses are the ones that I head to when I have out of town guests:
Kings Ridge South Course:
This course has a very hilly terrain and gives a golfer a real challenge.
King's Ridge North Course:
This is a par 57, par 3 golf course. It makes for a good afternoon of golf that allows you to get in those second 18 holes. It’s a short "executive" style course which usually can be finished in less than four hours.
Legends Golf and Country Club:
This course is the one that my friends always ask to play when they’re in town. The course offers spectacular views from one of the highest elevations in central Florida. The Legends golf course is less than a half hour drive from Walt Disney World.
The links in this article also include discounts at many of the golf courses. I’ve also found that it pays to ask if there are special offers when booking tee times. There have been times when there were discounts that I wasn’t aware of.
If you know of any tips about golfing in Central Florida, drop us a line at email@example.com
- Times updated for events at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - The Party is a specially ticketed event at the Magic Kingdom that begins September 1.
- Villains' Sinister Soiree add-on available for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - This special add-on will give guests preferred viewing for Mickey's Boo to You Halloween Parade (8:15pm) and the Happy HalloWishes fireworks show. Lady Tremaine will host a dessert soiree at Cinderella's Royal Table Restaurant for you and some of her friends.
- 5 Elements from the Disney Parks that You'll Find on a Disney Cruise Ship - You have been to the Disney Parks, and you love them. You keep going back for that pixie-dust rush. You can’t imagine a vacation apart from Disney Parks, yet somehow the “old and familiar” is getting a bit old and familiar. This is where the Disney Cruise Line enters. It’s a Disney vacation of a different variety. The dissimilarities are a bit obvious. You’re on a ship in the ocean, visiting foreign places. This is nothing like being landlocked in a park, surrounded by coasters and kiosks. So what can you expect from the Disney Parks to carry over to your cruise?
- Blog - "Villains Unleashed" needs leashing up - Disney's overcrowded hard ticket event leaves guests in long lines most of the night
- Mickey's PhilharMagic refurb extended - The end date has been moved from September 19 to the 28th. The attraction will go down September 8.
- Enchanted Tiki Room going down for refurb in late September - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed from 9/27 - 10/3/2014.
- Two Epcot New Year's Eve dining events released - More New Year's Eve events are yet to be released.
- Blog - Beyond Aulani
- Updated operating schedule for monorails - The monorail will have a different operating schedule than normal as an automation upgrade takes place.
- Charging stations for electric vehicles added to Epcot parking lot - Disney has added four Level 2 ChargePoint charging stations to the Journey parking lot at Epcot. Electric vehicles will be charged $.35 per kw/h, with a minimum charge of $1.50.
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party tickets sold out on 10/31/14 - Tickets are still available for all other dates.
- New Move it! Shake it! Dance and Play it! Street Party to debut at Magic Kingdom this fall - Stitch and Phineas & Ferb will join the party and Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Goofy will ride on top of giant gift boxes. The soundtrack will feature remixed classic party songs and guests will vote for one of three current hits to be played.
- VIDEO: What's New at Aulani - Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa has many new offerings. Quick service at Ulu Cafe, kids splash zone at Keiki Cove, two new pools, and much more.
- MagicBands can now be purchased without ticket media - The bands are now available for purchase across property.
- Changes to boat schedules at Downtown Disney - Schedules have been changing recently due to construction.
- Blog - The Good and Bad of the "Muppets Most Wanted" Blu-ray
- Ultimate Day VIP Tour available at Epcot Food & Wine Festival - This daylong tour begins at the Festival Center's VIP Lounge and includes champagne, a beverage tasting, six-course tapas-style lunch, wine, private backstage tours, time on Epcot attractions, food and beverage pairings with Disney chefs, VIP seating at the Eat to the Beat Concert Series, and reserved seating for IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth fireworks spectacular.
- Blog - New Golden Oak Outpost Menu is Waffle Fry Heaven
- Sunrise Safari at Animal Kingdom ending 12/28/14 - This tour is exclusive to Animal Kingdom Lodge Kilimanjaro Club Level guests.
- American Idol Experience to close August 30 - No plans have been announced for the space.
- Florida residents save $40 on Cirque du Soleil tickets - Through September and October, Florida residents will save $40 on adult Cirque du Soleil tickets purchased at the box office.
- VIDEO: The Refurbished Capt. Cook's at Polynesian Resort - After a long refurbishment, Capt. Cook's has reopened at the Polynesian Village Resort. Major changes include artwork in the seating area, a new menu, no more ordering off of touch screens and the tragic loss of the Dole Whip self-serve machine.
- American Film Institute at the end of Backlot Tour to close - As of August 17, the American Film Institute Showcase exhibit at the end of the ride will be closed. This exhibit features props and costumes from various films. The gift shop will also close.
- D23 Expo 2015 tickets are now on sale - Tickets for next year's D23 Expo are now on sale. The D23 Expo will be held August 14-16, 2015 at the Anaheim Convention Center.
- Constantine the Frog to attend Villains Unleashed! event - The "Muppets Most Wanted" villain will be at the Stage One Company Store location near Muppet*Vision 3D.
- Blog - Polynesian Resort's Capt. Cook's quick service restaurant reopens after refurbishment
- Golden Oak Outpost now serving specialty waffle fries - This walk-up stand is located on the backside of Frontierland on the walkway to Adventureland.
- Tower of Terror On-ride videos available with Memory Maker - After riding The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, a video of the guest's ride will be added to their My Disney Experience account. This video is only available to guests who have purchased Memory Maker.
- Win a 2 Night / 3 Day stay at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin! - Answer 3 questions about the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin on our contest page for a chance to WIN!
- Great Irish Hooley Festival to be held at Downtown Disney - "Hooley" is Irish slang for party or celebration. Celebrate with food, drink and dancing.
- Update coming to My Disney Experience - make dining reservations 20 minutes in advance - A new update will allow guests to make same day dining reservations only 20 minutes in advance.
- Performance times updated for Night of Joy - Disney’s Night of Joy is a hard-ticket event at the Magic Kingdom that features contemporary Christian performers.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Polynesian Resort Lobby - Lobby Waterfall - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at the Polynesian Resort.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Continues to Materialize
- Refurb scheduled this winter for the Haunted Mansion - The attraction will be closed from 12/1 - 12/19/14.
- Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It Street Party reduces number of performances this month - Performance times will be 5:40 and 7:00pm on August 12, 13, 19, 20 and 29, 2014. Concrete work taking place on Main Street will limit the number of performances on those days.
- It's Tough to be a Bug refurb extended until 9/27 - This attraction was originally scheduled to reopen August 11, but will instead stay closed through September 27.
- Yankee Trader shop refurb extended through December - The shop is becoming a Haunted Mansion gift shop.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Adventureland - Swiss Family Treehouse Exit - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at the Magic Kingdom.
- Big Hero 6 characters coming to Walt Disney World - A specific date and location for the meet and greet has not yet been announced.
- Frozen Summer Fun extended at Disney's Hollywood Studios - This celebration has been extended through September 28.
- Top 5 Experiences at Walt Disney World That Don't Cost a Thing! - Walt Disney World can be a very expensive place — between park tickets, hotels, parking costs, meals and snacks, it all adds up very quickly. That’s why it’s important to remember that there are several fantastic experiences at Walt Disney World Resort that don’t cost a thing!
- Club Villain dance party planned for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - This will take place at the Diamond Horseshoe Saloon in Frontierland.
- Blog - New Disney Parks Inspired Coffees from Joffrey's
- Updated list of restaurants that accept Tables in Wonderland - Tables in Wonderland members save 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Video: Disney Park Bench - Polynesian Resort Dock - Polynesian Resort - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Polynesian Resort Dock - Polynesian Resort
- Epcot After Hours Wind Down extended through November 9 - Stick around after IllumiNations for an evening at one of 4 exclusive lounges featuring food and beverages from award-winning Epcot chefs and sommeliers.
- Blog - Review: "Guardians of the Galaxy" combines humor, action, and a stellar cast to become the perfect summer blockbuster
- All-Star Music food court closes for refurbishment - The Intermission Food Court will be closed 8/1/14-12/20/14 for refurb.
- New events added to Epcot International Food & Wine Festival - Late Nights LIVE! and new Premium Package events added.
- Astro Orbiter rehab extended by one week - Originally scheduled to end September 19, the ride will now reopen September 28.
- Food & Wine Festival Premium events now available for booking - This includes seminars, signature dining experiences and other special events.
- Changes coming to Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It Street Party? - An update is rumored for this parade later this year, possibly around October. Possible changes are new music; Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Donald moving to the top of the floats; and Stitch joining the fun. Sebastian, Lumiere, and The Mad Hatter will leave the parade.
- During pool rehab, Polynesian guests will have free admission to Blizzard Beach - Originally, the resort guests were just going to be given one-day tickets to the water park, but that has been changed. They will now have complimentary unlimited admission to Blizzard Beach during their stay at the Polynesian.
- List of restaurants participating in the 2015 Disney Dining Plan - This list will be updated as more restaurants are added. Epcot and Downtown Disney restaurants don't normally finalize their participation until later in the year.
- 2015 Magic Your Way Disney World packages released! - A Walt Disney World package is a resort room and theme park admission. The Disney Dining Plan may also be added.
- Happy 15th Birthday to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith! - The attraction originally opened its doors at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 29, 1999.
- Victoria & Albert's will no longer accept Tables in Wonderland - This begins August 1, 2014.
- Summertime Pals Ink & Paint Cel release - This limited release will be available at the event, or pre-order by September 25 at 5:00pm EST.
- Haunted Mansion merchandise shop coming to Magic Kingdom - The former Yankee Trader shop will become a Haunted Mansion merchandise location in the near future. The decor will be inspired by Madame Leota and will carry items from the Haunted Mansion Authentic program, such as apparel, home goods, souvenirs and more.
- Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings for August - List of authors and artists coming to the theme parks for signings and merchandise releases.
- List of characters updated for Villains Unleashed! event - Over 50 Disney villains will be taking over the park until the 13th hour!
- Beginning today, PhotoPass print packages are no longer offered table-side at character meals - This includes Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Tusker House Restaurant.
- Disney Visa cardholders can book Food & Wine Festival events early - Disney Visa cardholders can book special events two days earlier than the general public - on July 29 and July 30 from 7:00am-11:00pm EST.
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.