1900 Park Fare – Grand Floridian
Review by Kevin Klose - 11/07
With friends visiting from out of town, we found ourselves with advanced dining reservations for 1900 Park Fare. The restaurant is tucked away in a corner just inside the entrance to Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort.
There were 6 adults in our party and more than one of us was curious as to why a character buffet meal was chosen when our goal was to enjoy dinner and conversation…but two members of the party love 1900 and visit on each and every subsequent trip. As they had already made the reservations, the rest of us agreed that we would go along.
The restaurant had recently undergone a rehab period and we were curious as to what changes had occurred.
You are greeted at a hostess stand just outside a set of double doors that are closed when you arrive. This is where you will check in. In the past, Fairy Godmother from Cinderella was in this area greeting guests along with two of the mice, Suzie and Perla. That initial character interaction seems to have been discontinued.
One of the hosts / hostesses escorts you to your table and as those closed double doors open, you are greeted by one of the loudest restaurants on Disney property. I realize that that this is not the thing you usually notice first about a restaurant, but it’s impossible to not notice. It’s a wall of sound and excitement.
You are now part of a character experience and the excitement and anticipation is palpable. Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine and her two daughters Drisella and Anastasia are in the house and the younger set knows it.
1900 Park Fare is a buffet and the menu changes from day to day. On the day we were there, they were featuring an international menu. There were selections from France (coq au vin, salade nicoise), Italy (pasta, seafood salad), Asia (stir fry, rice) and assorted other dishes with an international bent. There were also “American” offerings. They were slicing prime rib, turkey and all of the trimmings (mashed potatoes, gravy etc). There is also a children’s buffet with typical kid fare…chicken, pizz, mac and cheese etc. and a dessert buffet.
When doing something like this, I would usually be more descriptive regarding the food offerings but my understanding is that the buffet will change daily and to be perfectly honest, the food takes a distant second place to the character aspect of this restaurant.
Meeting Cinderella is one of the highlights of a Disney trip for many youngsters and this is a great place to do that. Reservations tend to be easier to secure than those at Cinderella’s Royal Table inside the castle in the Magic Kingdom.
At 1900 Park Fare, Cindy makes her way through the dining room frequently. She is joined by the other characters and I must tell you…at least two of the Tremaine ladies are a hoot. Lady Tremaine is imperious and sarcastically funny with a subtle evil edge and Drisella was loud, crass, rambunctious and the kids LOVED her. On the evening we were there, Anastasia was a bit more low key, friendly but quiet. Druzilla had the children involved and dancing.
With that being said….I must make mention again of the noise level in this restaurant. It hovers near “chaos”. In addition to the noise being generated as the characters move through, there are pre-recorded musical announcements to celebrate any and all occasions going on and on the night we were there…there were groups of children screaming for no apparent reason other than excitement.
We sat near a young family with 5 boys and at one point all five boys were screaming at the top of their voices, not at anyone in particular…just because they could. This even caused the lovely Cinderella to mention when visiting our table that “there are some rowdy Princes and Princesses here this evening.” She also mentioned that as soon as she spoke to these 5 princes, they would become absolutely silent and that’s exactly what happened. It was fun to watch the interaction.
To finish this up….I would suggest that you visit 1900 Park Fare to get some time with Cindy and the ladies Tremaine as that is what will create memories. The food is good but secondary. I would guess that a year after your visit, your child will remember dancing with Cinderella much more than nuggets and fries.
The cost of the dinner buffet is $28.99 for adults and $13.99 for kids aged 3 – 9. The price includes a non-alcoholic beverage.
- Dates and seminars announced for Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Food & Wine Classic - 2014 will be the 5th year for this event that features wine and beer seminars, tasting stations and live music.
- VIDEO: 2014 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - One of the most welcome signs of spring is Epcot's annual International Flower & Garden Festival. While the grounds at Epcot are always beautiful, the Flower and Garden Festival takes them to the next level. At the festival you'll find gardens, topiaries, play areas, outdoor food kitchens, exhibits, music, and more.
- Blog - Disney's Festival of Fantasy Parade debuts at the Magic Kingdom!
- VIDEO - Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade - Festival of Fantasy is the brand new daily parade at the Magic Kingdom bringing the characters and stories of New Fantasyland to life! Brand new floats and costumes were produced for the parade featuring characters from Frozen, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Princess and the Frog, Brave, Dumbo, Pinocchio, The Little Mermaid, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, Tangled, Fantasia, Snow White and more!
- Photo Gallery of the Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade - The "Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade" celebrates New Fantasyland with new innovative floats, costumes and an all-new soundtrack that features songs from popular Disney films.
- VIDEO - Topiaries at Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - The Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival is better than before in 2014 and features some of the most beautiful and elaborate topiaries seen anywhere. New this year includes 'Spring is in the Air!' featuring Goofy, Donald and Daisy as you enter the park; Soccer Goofy and Donald; and Kermit the Frog & Miss Piggy inspired by "Muppets Most Wanted". Returning favorites include Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Buzz Lightyear, Lightning McQueen, Tow Mater, Phineas and Ferb, Tinker Bell, Bambi and Friends, Peter Pan and Captain Hook, Winnie the Pooh and Friends, Classic Disney Couples, Woody, Lady and the Tramp, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Lion King, Pandas, Troll and Fantasia!
- VIDEO - Outdoor Kitchens at Epcot Flower & Garden Festival - After the popular introduction in 2013, the outdoor kitchens are back at the 2014 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival serving up some of the finest and freshest food at Epcot in a similar fashion to the Food & Wine Festival. Outdoor kitchens include Pineapple Promenade, The Buttercup Cottage, Fleur de Lys, Taste of Marrakesh, Hanami, The Smokehouse: Barbecue and Brews, Primavera Kitchen, Florida Fresh, Lotus House, Jardin de Fiestas, and the new Urban Farm EATS!
- VIDEO - Festival Center at the Flower & Garden Festival - Video of the Festival Center at Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival 2014. The festival center is where you can find many of the seminars and presentations featured during the Festival.
- 2014 Flower & Garden Festival Photos - 2014 photo gallery of Epcot's International Flower & Garden Festival
- Inaugural Disney Fit Challenge to be held in September - Competitions will include tests of power, speed, balance, strength and endurance.
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.
- Rapids ride evacutated at Universal Orlando
- Leadership changes at Walt Disney World resorts and transportation
- Disney and unions extend contract
- Major staff cuts at Disney Interactive
- Blackfish director denies receiving confidential information
- Hank Wiliams Jr. and Alabama to perform at SeaWorld
- Universal Orlando parking garage closed for suspicious vehicle
- SeaWorld calls for investigation of OSHA inspector
- Preview of food items for Wizarding World of Harry Potter expansion
- Disney announces theme parks will stay open for 24-hour party