1900 Park Fare – Grand Floridian
Review by Kevin Klose - 11/07
With friends visiting from out of town, we found ourselves with advanced dining reservations for 1900 Park Fare. The restaurant is tucked away in a corner just inside the entrance to Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort.
There were 6 adults in our party and more than one of us was curious as to why a character buffet meal was chosen when our goal was to enjoy dinner and conversation…but two members of the party love 1900 and visit on each and every subsequent trip. As they had already made the reservations, the rest of us agreed that we would go along.
The restaurant had recently undergone a rehab period and we were curious as to what changes had occurred.
You are greeted at a hostess stand just outside a set of double doors that are closed when you arrive. This is where you will check in. In the past, Fairy Godmother from Cinderella was in this area greeting guests along with two of the mice, Suzie and Perla. That initial character interaction seems to have been discontinued.
One of the hosts / hostesses escorts you to your table and as those closed double doors open, you are greeted by one of the loudest restaurants on Disney property. I realize that that this is not the thing you usually notice first about a restaurant, but it’s impossible to not notice. It’s a wall of sound and excitement.
You are now part of a character experience and the excitement and anticipation is palpable. Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine and her two daughters Drisella and Anastasia are in the house and the younger set knows it.
1900 Park Fare is a buffet and the menu changes from day to day. On the day we were there, they were featuring an international menu. There were selections from France (coq au vin, salade nicoise), Italy (pasta, seafood salad), Asia (stir fry, rice) and assorted other dishes with an international bent. There were also “American” offerings. They were slicing prime rib, turkey and all of the trimmings (mashed potatoes, gravy etc). There is also a children’s buffet with typical kid fare…chicken, pizz, mac and cheese etc. and a dessert buffet.
When doing something like this, I would usually be more descriptive regarding the food offerings but my understanding is that the buffet will change daily and to be perfectly honest, the food takes a distant second place to the character aspect of this restaurant.
Meeting Cinderella is one of the highlights of a Disney trip for many youngsters and this is a great place to do that. Reservations tend to be easier to secure than those at Cinderella’s Royal Table inside the castle in the Magic Kingdom.
At 1900 Park Fare, Cindy makes her way through the dining room frequently. She is joined by the other characters and I must tell you…at least two of the Tremaine ladies are a hoot. Lady Tremaine is imperious and sarcastically funny with a subtle evil edge and Drisella was loud, crass, rambunctious and the kids LOVED her. On the evening we were there, Anastasia was a bit more low key, friendly but quiet. Druzilla had the children involved and dancing.
With that being said….I must make mention again of the noise level in this restaurant. It hovers near “chaos”. In addition to the noise being generated as the characters move through, there are pre-recorded musical announcements to celebrate any and all occasions going on and on the night we were there…there were groups of children screaming for no apparent reason other than excitement.
We sat near a young family with 5 boys and at one point all five boys were screaming at the top of their voices, not at anyone in particular…just because they could. This even caused the lovely Cinderella to mention when visiting our table that “there are some rowdy Princes and Princesses here this evening.” She also mentioned that as soon as she spoke to these 5 princes, they would become absolutely silent and that’s exactly what happened. It was fun to watch the interaction.
To finish this up….I would suggest that you visit 1900 Park Fare to get some time with Cindy and the ladies Tremaine as that is what will create memories. The food is good but secondary. I would guess that a year after your visit, your child will remember dancing with Cinderella much more than nuggets and fries.
The cost of the dinner buffet is $28.99 for adults and $13.99 for kids aged 3 – 9. The price includes a non-alcoholic beverage.
- Blog - Starbucks opens at the Magic Kingdom!
- Menu updated for the reopening of the Main Street Bakery - The Main Street Bakery is re-opening as the park's first Starbucks location.
- VIDEO: DIS Unplugged - 7in7: Polynesian - 06/11/13 - For more episodes of The DIS Unplugged visit http://www.disunplugged.com/
- VIDEO: DIS Unplugged - 7in7: Contemporary - 06/11/13 - For more episodes of The DIS Unplugged visit http://www.disunplugged.com/
- Annual passholders can save up to 35% when booking a room by June 19 - Annual passholders can save up to 35% when booking a Room Only reservation at select Walt Disney World hotels. Discount is valid for travel between 6/4/13 - 8/15/13.
- VIDEO: Disney's All Star Music Resort - Visit http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-resorts/all-star-music-resort/ for more information on Disney's All Star Music Resort.
- Raglan Road Irish Pub plans Great Irish Hooley Festival - "Hooley" is Irish slang for party or celebration. There will be six top Irish bands playing traditional and rock tunes, as well as food, drink and dancing.
- Blog - Monsters University Homecoming at Disney's Hollywood Studios
- Details on 4th of July at Walt Disney World - Fireworks specials will be held at Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and Epcot.
- Limited Time Magic: The Lone Ranger, Graduation Ear Hats and Independence Week - An extended sneak peek of The Lone Ranger will be shown, graduation ear hats are available and there will be a special fireworks show for the week leading up to 4th of July!
- Reservations for Dining Experiences at Food & Wine Festival open August 13 - Phone lines open bright and early at 7:00am EST for guests to make reservations for the Dining Experiences at Epcot's Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - The Heat is On - Tips for Staying Cool in the Theme Parks
- Blog - Wilderness Explorers at Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- Registration for the Princess 1/2 Marathon opens today - This race is held in February and celebrates women's health and fitness.
- Walt Disney World annual passholders save on water park admission all summer! - All summer long, Annual Passholders can save $4 on adult tickets and $3 off child tickets to Disney's Typhoon Lagoon and Disney's Blizzard Beach water parks.
- L'Artisan des Glaces opens in France pavilion - L'Artisan des Glaces, the new Artisan Ice Cream and Sorbet shop, has opened in the former location of the pavilion's bakery.
- VIDEO: Disney's Coronado Springs Resort Overview - Visit http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/resorts/csprings.htm for more information on Disney's Coronado Springs Resort.
- VIDEO: Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground Overview - Visit http://www.wdwinfo.com/ for more information on the Cabins at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground.
- Epcot's Sounds Like Summer concert series begins tomorrow - The Sounds Like Summer Concert Series features some of the greatest tribute bands rockin' to U2, The Bee Gees, Bon Jovi and many more during select nights from June 9 - July 27.
- Limited Time Magic: Celebrate Homecoming with Monsters University - Celebrate Monsters University Homecoming each evening at Disney's Hollywood Studios! A DJ, the "Monster of Scaremonies," will play music and lead activities for the crowd.
- VIDEO: How To Cookout With The DIS Team - Visit http://www.disunplugged.com for more episodes of the DIS Unplugged.
- Car Masters Weekend coming up June 15-16 - There will be meet and greets with Lightning, Mater and Finn McMissile; 150 classic cars; autograph sessions with Chip Foose; exclusive merchandise; a Cars movie marathon and more!
- New interactive pirate game opens at Magic Kingdom - A Pirate's Adventure: Treasures of the Seven Seas is an interactive game in which guests will use pirate maps and "magic talismans" as they compete to become members of Captain Jack's pirate crew.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Aulani - Main Entrance - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Aulani.
- Blog - Expo Dream Store & Silent Auction Return to Disney’s D23 Expo
- End Zone Food Court at All-Star Sports closed 8/4 - 12/20/2013 - End Zone Food Court will be closed 8/4/2013 - 12/20/2013. There will be transportation from the porte cochere to All Star Music or All Star Movies to dine in the Intermission Food Court or World Premier Food Court. The Arcade will be closed 8/4/2013 - 12/20/2013. It is being used as a temporary Food Court with "Grab & Go" items.
- Limited Time Magic: The Citizens of Main Street perform a summer trolley show - The Citizens of Main Street U.S.A. are celebrating summer with an old-fashioned trolley show.
- South African Winemakers Tour to be held at Jiko - Tables in Wonderland presents the South African Winemakers Tour on June 13.
- Annual Passholders receive a gift pack when booking Adventures by Disney - When Walt Disney World and Disneyland Annual Passholders book a 2014 Adventures by Disney vacation by 8/23/13, they will receive a special ABD gift pack!
- Price increase for Walt Disney World tickets - Pricing has been updated for all Walt Disney World ticket options.
- Blog - A Rainbow of Colorful Merchandise at Walt Disney World
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Aulani - Aulani Lagoon Path - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Aulani.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Aulani - Lobby - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Aulani.
- 7 in 7 Blogs: All Star Music Resort - This week we feature Disney’s All Star Music and Disney’s All Star Sports Resort as part of our Seven Disney World Resorts in Seven Days.
- DIS Unplugged Podcast – 05/28/13 – Orlando Show - In this week’s show, Pete, Dustin, Shaun and Craig record the News, Housekeeping, & Rapidfire segment from a Grand Villa at Disney’s Aulani Resort & Spa! As part of our “7 in 7: Seven Disney World Resorts in Seven Days”, we discuss Disney’s All Star Music and Disney’s All Star Sports Resort. All this and more in this week’s edition of The DIS Unplugged!
- Blog - Monsters University Merchandise Scares Up Fun at Disney Parks
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Aulani - Aulani Beach Sunset - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Aulani.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Aulani - Aulani Lagoon Walking Path - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Aulani.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Aulani - Aulani Beach - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Aulani.
- Limited Time Magic: Monstrous Summer wake-up call and Celebrate the Magic summer edition - Have Mike Wazowski wake you up in the morning so you can head out to the parks to enjoy the summer edition of Celebrate the Magic.
- Blog - A Monstrous 24-Hour "All-Nighter" at Magic Kingdom
- VIDEO: DIS Unplugged - Live From Aulani - 05/21/13 - Follow along with us as we go beyond the parks!
- Blog - 7 in 7: Art of Animation Resort
- VIDEO: Disney Beyond The Parks - Producing the Aulani Live Show - Visit http://www.wdwinfo.com/beyondtheparks/#hawaii to view the full DIS Unplugged show from Aulani in Hawaii. For the latest updates on our trip to Aulani and Hawaii, visit http://new.livestream.com/TheDIS/aulani Join the DIS Team as we explore Disney beyond the parks, starting with Aulani, a Disney Resort and Spa in Hawaii!
- Follow along as the DIS goes... Beyond The Parks!! - Members of the DIS Unplugged podcast team are headed to Disney's Aulani Resort, sailing on an Alaskan Disney cruise and taking an Adventures by Disney Backstage Magic trip!
- Blog - Help! A Walt Disney World Vet’s First Time at Disneyland – Part 5
- Livestream coverage of Star Wars Weekends events - Photos and video of Star Wars Weekends at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
- Schedule of artists for the Eat to the Beat concerts - As with all Disney events, themed entertainment is part of the festivities. Visitors to the Food and Wine Festival can "Eat to the Beat!"
- Festival of the Masters dates released for November 2013 - This art festival will be held at Downtown Disney November 8-10, 2013.
- Blog - FIRST LOOK: Disney's MyMagic+ MagicBand - The DIS got a first look at Disney's new MagicBands which are part of their MyMagic+ rollout! Take a look at the photos of the MagicBand and a brief review of what we thought about wearing them...
- Blog - Summer Dooney & Bourke Release Update
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Disney's Hollywood Studios - Sunset Boulevard - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Walt Disney World.
- Free admission to Blizzard Beach for Annual Passholders today! - Today, May 16, Annual Passholders will get complimentary admission to Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park after 2:00 pm. Complimentary refreshments and giveaways will take place at Lottawatta Lodge.
- Blog - Moving the Needle at the Orlando Theme Parks
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Magic Kingdom - Crystal Palace - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Walt Disney World.
- Adventurers Outpost meet and greet location opens at Animal Kingdom - The new indoor meet and greet location for Mickey and Minnie is now open in Discovery Island.
- November 2013 Disney World park hours added
- Details released for 2013 Epcot Food and Wine Festival - A Scotland marketplace will be added. Dates for the Party for the Senses, as well as a partial schedule for the Eat to the Beat concerts also released.
- California Grill to debut new beverage menu
- SeaWorld pays first quarterly dividend
- SeaWorld presents Summer Nights celebration
- New sail dates added for the Disney Magic
- Rumor: Star Wars Land coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios?
- Disney plans maintenance for their reservation systems
- Changes to sail dates for the Disney Magic
- Disney Cruise Line holds first AquaDucky fundraiser
- Price increase for SeaWorld Orlando
- Hiring event planned for SeaWorld's Orlando parks