1900 Park Fare – Grand Floridian
Review by Kevin Klose - 11/07
With friends visiting from out of town, we found ourselves with advanced dining reservations for 1900 Park Fare. The restaurant is tucked away in a corner just inside the entrance to Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort.
There were 6 adults in our party and more than one of us was curious as to why a character buffet meal was chosen when our goal was to enjoy dinner and conversation…but two members of the party love 1900 and visit on each and every subsequent trip. As they had already made the reservations, the rest of us agreed that we would go along.
The restaurant had recently undergone a rehab period and we were curious as to what changes had occurred.
You are greeted at a hostess stand just outside a set of double doors that are closed when you arrive. This is where you will check in. In the past, Fairy Godmother from Cinderella was in this area greeting guests along with two of the mice, Suzie and Perla. That initial character interaction seems to have been discontinued.
One of the hosts / hostesses escorts you to your table and as those closed double doors open, you are greeted by one of the loudest restaurants on Disney property. I realize that that this is not the thing you usually notice first about a restaurant, but it’s impossible to not notice. It’s a wall of sound and excitement.
You are now part of a character experience and the excitement and anticipation is palpable. Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine and her two daughters Drisella and Anastasia are in the house and the younger set knows it.
1900 Park Fare is a buffet and the menu changes from day to day. On the day we were there, they were featuring an international menu. There were selections from France (coq au vin, salade nicoise), Italy (pasta, seafood salad), Asia (stir fry, rice) and assorted other dishes with an international bent. There were also “American” offerings. They were slicing prime rib, turkey and all of the trimmings (mashed potatoes, gravy etc). There is also a children’s buffet with typical kid fare…chicken, pizz, mac and cheese etc. and a dessert buffet.
When doing something like this, I would usually be more descriptive regarding the food offerings but my understanding is that the buffet will change daily and to be perfectly honest, the food takes a distant second place to the character aspect of this restaurant.
Meeting Cinderella is one of the highlights of a Disney trip for many youngsters and this is a great place to do that. Reservations tend to be easier to secure than those at Cinderella’s Royal Table inside the castle in the Magic Kingdom.
At 1900 Park Fare, Cindy makes her way through the dining room frequently. She is joined by the other characters and I must tell you…at least two of the Tremaine ladies are a hoot. Lady Tremaine is imperious and sarcastically funny with a subtle evil edge and Drisella was loud, crass, rambunctious and the kids LOVED her. On the evening we were there, Anastasia was a bit more low key, friendly but quiet. Druzilla had the children involved and dancing.
With that being said….I must make mention again of the noise level in this restaurant. It hovers near “chaos”. In addition to the noise being generated as the characters move through, there are pre-recorded musical announcements to celebrate any and all occasions going on and on the night we were there…there were groups of children screaming for no apparent reason other than excitement.
We sat near a young family with 5 boys and at one point all five boys were screaming at the top of their voices, not at anyone in particular…just because they could. This even caused the lovely Cinderella to mention when visiting our table that “there are some rowdy Princes and Princesses here this evening.” She also mentioned that as soon as she spoke to these 5 princes, they would become absolutely silent and that’s exactly what happened. It was fun to watch the interaction.
To finish this up….I would suggest that you visit 1900 Park Fare to get some time with Cindy and the ladies Tremaine as that is what will create memories. The food is good but secondary. I would guess that a year after your visit, your child will remember dancing with Cinderella much more than nuggets and fries.
The cost of the dinner buffet is $28.99 for adults and $13.99 for kids aged 3 – 9. The price includes a non-alcoholic beverage.
- 2015 Night of Joy entertainers announced - Night of Joy will be held at the Magic Kingdom on September 11 - 12, 2015.
- Blog - Do You Own the Space Above You in a Theme Park?
- Typhoon Lagoon closed through 1/28 - The water park is closed due to projected cold temperatures. Blizzard Beach is also closed for its annually scheduled maintenance.
- 8:15pm Spirit of Aloha dinner show cancelled on 1/27 - The show is cancelled due to projected cold temperatures.
- Rumor: Walt Disney World ticket prices to increase in February - Rumors are that ticket prices will go up in mid-February. The no-expiration option may be discontinued and a Water Park-Hopper add-on may be introduced.
- Blog - INTERVIEW – Billy Magnussen: The 'Other Prince' in Into The Wood
- Running the Parks Part 3 - Disney Running Resources - In this post I discuss some of the resources I have found to be most useful when doing research for a Disney running vacation.
- Take a baby to a Disney theme park? Are you nuts?
- Typhoon Lagoon closed 1/24-1/25 for cold temps - The highs are projected to be in the 60s.
- List of restaurants and retailers coming to The Landing at Disney Springs - The first phase of Disney Springs will open in Spring 2015.
- Annual Passholder mini golf discount drops to 15% - Previously the discount had been 50% off of miniature golf.
- Liberty Square Riverboat closes for 4 day refurb - This attraction will reopen 1/27/2015 and then be closed again 8/4/ - 8/10/2015.
- Blog - Disney's Hollywood Studios Construction Update
- Splitsville to feature live bands on Saturday nights - Every Saturday, 9:00pm-12:30am, a live band will take the stage in the Bullet Bar for a free concert.
- Kali River Rapids begins 2-week rehab - The Animal Kingdom attraction will be closed through February 2.
- Blog - Disney & Starbucks Bring New Mug Collection to Stores
- Polynesian DVC Resort can soon be booked by general public - Beginning February 11, these can be booked by the general public when they are not in use by DVC members. The bungalows will have limited availability.
- Downtown Disney internal boats will not stop at Pleasure Island - They will only run between the Marketplace and West Side.
- Blog - Disney asks Court to Dismiss "Absurd" Frozen Copyright Lawsuit
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Backlot Express - Star Tours - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Backlot Express - Star Tours
- Dates announced for 2015 Epcot Food and Wine Festival - The Festival will be held September 25-November 16, 2015.
- Epcot Flower Power Concerts renamed "Garden Rocks Concert Series" - The Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival will be held March 4-May 17.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Stormalong Bay - Crescent Lake - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Stormalong Bay - Crescent Lake January 5, 2014 - Afternoon
- Happy 40th birthday to Space Mountain! - Along with Carousel of Progress, this Magic Kingdom attraction opened on January 15, 1975.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Hollywood Boulevard - Sorcerer Mickey Hat - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Hollywood Boulevard - Sorcerer Mickey Hat
- Happy 40th birthday to the Carousel of Progress! - The Carousel of Progress opened on January 15, 1975 at the Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World.
- Blog - 1/14/15: Magic Kingdom Hub Construction Update
- 2015 Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Food & Wine Classic to be held October 30-31 - This is the 6th annual event for the resort.
- New FastPass+ parade and fireworks viewing areas for the Magic Kingdom - The parade can now be viewed from Town Square and the fireworks will soon be viewed from the new Main Street Plaza Gardens.
- Food Truck Takeover at Downtown Disney - The Superstar Catering Food Truck will be taken over by the Trattoria al Forno chefs to feature three of their most popular dishes.
- DVC Point Charts for Polynesian Villas & Bungalows - The first phase of the property will open April 1.
- Crane now in place behind Cinderella Castle through 2/21/15 - The crane will be taking down the lights used to decorate the castle for the holidays.
- Flame Tree Barbecue favorites moving to other locations during rehab - Flame Tree Barbecue will be closed for rehab through 3/31/15.
- Preview of Cinderella film and her coach coming to Hollywood Studios - Guests can experience an exclusive sneak peek of the new film Cinderella, plus see her golden coach parked outside the theater.
- Downtown Disney Cool Down Party for marathon racers - Runners can attend the Downtown Disney Cool Down Party from 2-8pm on January 11, 2015 and enjoy DJ dance parties, entertainment, special merchandise and discounts throughout Downtown Disney (show your finishers medal for discounts).
- 8:15pm Spirit of Aloha dinner show cancelled on 1/7 and 1/8 - The later show will be cancelled due to projected low temperatures.
- Typhoon Lagoon closed 1/7-1/9 for cold temps - The water park will be closed due to projected low temperatures.
- Blog - Sunglass Hut Opening in Magic Kingdom's Adventureland
- Modified monorail schedule for the upcoming week - The schedule has been modified due to the Walt Disney World Marathon.
- Magic Kingdom hours extended 1/6 and 1/7 - The park will remain open until 9:00pm instead of the originally scheduled 8:00pm.
- The Enchanted Tiki Room - The Magic Behind Walt Disney's Tropical Hideaway
- Wandering Oaken's Trading Post and Frozen Funland now closed - This was part of the Frozen Summer Fun event at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
- Ticket specials available for Cirque du Soleil - Discounted tickets are available for performances Tuesday through Saturday nights from 1/20/15 - 3/28/15.
- Florida residents can save up to 35% on a room only reservation - Discount is valid for stays most nights 1/3/15 - 3/28/15.
- Eating Around the World in Epcot - A brief tour of snacking in the World Showcase.
- Running the Parks Part 2: Touring the Parks While Running the Parks
- Frozen Holiday Wish to return from 1/3-1/12 - The show will take place at 6:30pm.
- New Animal Kingdom tour to replace Backstage Safari - The new tour, Backstage Tales, will go more in depth than the previous tour.
- Blog - 2015: Epcot Rings It In Right
- Top 5 DIS Unplugged Podcasts for 2014 - 2014 was a great year for the DIS Unplugged podcast - we celebrated our 8th anniversary, we produced more than 100 episodes of the show, as well as more than 200 supporting videos - but there were certain shows that really seemed to strike a chord with our audience.
- List of restaurants participating in the 2015 Disney Dining Plan updated - The Epcot and Downtown Disney restaurants have been finalized.
- Several rehabs planned for Magic Kingdom this spring - it's a small world, Jungle Cruise and Big Thunder Mountain will all be down for refurbishment.
- "Kid-sized" package offer available for Walt Disney World - Families of 3 will save when booking a package for stays select nights 4/12/15 - 5/28/15.
- Save up to 30% with a Room Only offer at select Walt Disney World resorts - Save up to 30% when you book by 2/16/15 for stays most nights 3/2-6/15/15. Save up to 25% when you book from 2/17-3/18/15 for stays most nights 3/2-6/15/15.
- January and February reservations now open for IllumiNations Sparkling Dessert Party - Enjoy a special fireworks viewing area and desserts from around World Showcase paired with sparkling wines.
- Blog - The Top 10 Ornaments for 2014 at Walt Disney World
- Test the Limits Lab at Innoventions closing 1/6/15 - The attraction's sponsorship has ended.
- Island Supply Sunglass Hut to open in Magic Kingdom on January 8 - Island Supply will be reopening on January 8 as the Island Supply Sunglass Hut, selling high-end sunglasses.
- Walt Disney World New Year's Eve information - The parks will have extended hours, plus holiday entertainment.
- Blog - Disney's Best Christmas Movies, TV Specials and Shorts - Part 3
- Atlanta Braves spring training schedule at ESPN Wide World of Sports - The Atlanta Braves return to ESPN Wide World of Sports for their annual spring training.
- January merchandise events and signings at Walt Disney World - List of artist appearances around Walt Disney World.
- Blog - Disney's Best Christmas Movies, TV Specials and Shorts - Part 2
- Free transportation deal offered at Aulani - Book a 4-night or longer stay at Aulani and receive free round-trip transportation from the airport, as well as a free 1-day mid-size Alamo car rental!
- Traveling With Kids Part 3 - Baggage - Packing to travel with kids can be a monumental task. This article will focus on Baggage - tips and hints for the packing process.
- A fond look back at Epcot's Lights of Winter - The Lights of Winter started for the Christmas season back in 1994 and the last display was in 2008.
- Blog - Polynesian Village Resort at Walt Disney World debuts new lobby
- Perfectly Prepared Princess Package available at Ivy Trellis Salon - From January 8, 2015 through March, young princesses can get a princess hairdo, glitter and tiara for $50 and add princess makeup for $25. For $90, choose hair, makeup and manicure.
- SeaWorld lays off Clyde & Seamore mimes, among others
- Man sentenced to 5 years for Disney ticket scam
- Club 33 members upset about more changes to benefits
- Iger says future Star Wars attractions to be based on new films
- SeaWorld's CEO steps down
- Man sues SeaWorld for automatically renewing his annual pass
- Retirement date set for Disney's Meg Crofton
- Woman sues Disney, claiming disability after falling from carousel horse
- Hotel leadership changes at Walt Disney World
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer released