1900 Park Fare – Grand Floridian
Review by Kevin Klose - 11/07
With friends visiting from out of town, we found ourselves with advanced dining reservations for 1900 Park Fare. The restaurant is tucked away in a corner just inside the entrance to Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort.
There were 6 adults in our party and more than one of us was curious as to why a character buffet meal was chosen when our goal was to enjoy dinner and conversation…but two members of the party love 1900 and visit on each and every subsequent trip. As they had already made the reservations, the rest of us agreed that we would go along.
The restaurant had recently undergone a rehab period and we were curious as to what changes had occurred.
You are greeted at a hostess stand just outside a set of double doors that are closed when you arrive. This is where you will check in. In the past, Fairy Godmother from Cinderella was in this area greeting guests along with two of the mice, Suzie and Perla. That initial character interaction seems to have been discontinued.
One of the hosts / hostesses escorts you to your table and as those closed double doors open, you are greeted by one of the loudest restaurants on Disney property. I realize that that this is not the thing you usually notice first about a restaurant, but it’s impossible to not notice. It’s a wall of sound and excitement.
You are now part of a character experience and the excitement and anticipation is palpable. Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine and her two daughters Drisella and Anastasia are in the house and the younger set knows it.
1900 Park Fare is a buffet and the menu changes from day to day. On the day we were there, they were featuring an international menu. There were selections from France (coq au vin, salade nicoise), Italy (pasta, seafood salad), Asia (stir fry, rice) and assorted other dishes with an international bent. There were also “American” offerings. They were slicing prime rib, turkey and all of the trimmings (mashed potatoes, gravy etc). There is also a children’s buffet with typical kid fare…chicken, pizz, mac and cheese etc. and a dessert buffet.
When doing something like this, I would usually be more descriptive regarding the food offerings but my understanding is that the buffet will change daily and to be perfectly honest, the food takes a distant second place to the character aspect of this restaurant.
Meeting Cinderella is one of the highlights of a Disney trip for many youngsters and this is a great place to do that. Reservations tend to be easier to secure than those at Cinderella’s Royal Table inside the castle in the Magic Kingdom.
At 1900 Park Fare, Cindy makes her way through the dining room frequently. She is joined by the other characters and I must tell you…at least two of the Tremaine ladies are a hoot. Lady Tremaine is imperious and sarcastically funny with a subtle evil edge and Drisella was loud, crass, rambunctious and the kids LOVED her. On the evening we were there, Anastasia was a bit more low key, friendly but quiet. Druzilla had the children involved and dancing.
With that being said….I must make mention again of the noise level in this restaurant. It hovers near “chaos”. In addition to the noise being generated as the characters move through, there are pre-recorded musical announcements to celebrate any and all occasions going on and on the night we were there…there were groups of children screaming for no apparent reason other than excitement.
We sat near a young family with 5 boys and at one point all five boys were screaming at the top of their voices, not at anyone in particular…just because they could. This even caused the lovely Cinderella to mention when visiting our table that “there are some rowdy Princes and Princesses here this evening.” She also mentioned that as soon as she spoke to these 5 princes, they would become absolutely silent and that’s exactly what happened. It was fun to watch the interaction.
To finish this up….I would suggest that you visit 1900 Park Fare to get some time with Cindy and the ladies Tremaine as that is what will create memories. The food is good but secondary. I would guess that a year after your visit, your child will remember dancing with Cinderella much more than nuggets and fries.
The cost of the dinner buffet is $28.99 for adults and $13.99 for kids aged 3 – 9. The price includes a non-alcoholic beverage.
- Epcot's Canadian Lumberjack show on hiatus - The show will resume 1/4/15.
- Play nine holes of golf at Disney for just $29 - Play 9 holes at the Disney golf courses starting anytime between 7:00 and 8:30am for just $29.
- Details for 2015 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - Anna and Elsa topiaries will be on display at World Showcase Plaza.
- Epcot's Spice Road Table now accepts reservations - Reservations are available beginning December 2.
- The Comedy Warehouse Holiday Special to return to Hollywood Studios - This improvisational comedy show will return to the Premier Theater at Hollywood Studios from December 21, 2014 - January 4, 2015.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Magic Kingdom Hub - Cinderella Castle - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Magic Kingdom Hub - Cinderella Castle
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - The Diamond Horseshoe Balcony - The Diamond Horseshoe - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at The Diamond Horseshoe Balcony - The Diamond Horseshoe
- Save up to 30% on a stay at Aulani - Discount is available most nights 4/6 - 6/15/15.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Bay Lake Tower 15th Floor - Magic Kingdom - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Bay Lake Tower 15th Floor - Magic Kingdom
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party sold out on November 20 - There are still many MVMCP dates available.
- Plan B Character Dining at Walt Disney World - If you’re looking to make a reservation for a character meal and can’t get one, we’ve got a couple of suggestions for places you may not have thought of.
- Blizzard Beach to be closed November 17 due to cold temperatures - Typhoon Lagoon is already closed for its annual refurbishment.
- Top 5(+) things that are better at Walt Disney World than at Disneyland - Bigger may not always be better, but isn't always worse either. I can't resist countering with an article that lists, in my view, the things that are better at Walt Disney World.
- Guests meeting Santa at Downtown Disney have new notification option - Guests will get pagers if the wait exceeds 30 minutes (or they can choose to receive a text message instead). When their pager goes off and they return to Santa's Chalet, they will have about a 20 minute wait.
- Disney Visa cardholders get a special gift when taking advantage of Aulani discount - When booking the 4th night free offer, Disney Visa cardholders will also receive a special Welcome Gift at check-in with specialty items and signature Aulani merchandise ($98 value).
- Disney restaurants that kids will love, but parents would rather avoid - When you’re a parent traveling with your kids, you often need to put your own desires aside and head to the more kid-friendly establishments. Of course, there are exceptions to everything, but here’s a list of three restaurants that most kids will love, but many parents would rather avoid.
- Top 5 things that are better at Disneyland than at Walt Disney World - Bigger isn't always better and while Walt Disney's original theme park is smaller, it still has the advantage over its East-coast counterpart in a few key areas.
- Rehabs planned for several resort pools - Several of the resorts have rehabs scheduled for their pools and water slides in the upcoming months.
- Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom now opening an hour early Thanksgiving week - Both parks will now open at 8:00am instead of 9:00am. Extra Magic Hours for those parks will move one hour earlier as well.
- 3 Surprising Things About Working at Expedition Everest - I want to bring you some surprising facts from the perspective of a cast member working there on a daily basis.
- Rehabs planned for Art of Animation pools - The closure dates are: Big Blue Pool 11/17 - 11/19, Little Mermaid Flippin' Fins Pool 11/20 - 11/21, and the Cozy Cone Pool 11/24 - 11/26.
- Second seating added to Frozen Holiday Premium Packages - These packages include reserved seating for the First Time In Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration and access to a Frozen-themed dessert party with reserved viewing for Osborne Lights.
- All-Star Music food court to open early after refurbishment - Instead of being closed until December 20 like originally planned, the Intermission Food Court will reopen on December 3.
- The Great 'Throwaway Room' Debate - For those not familiar with the issue – a ‘throwaway room’ is a Disney resort room that is booked for one night just to get the perks associated with it.
- Seasonal food and drink offered at Epcot for the holidays - Each pavilion will have a special offering for the holidays.
- Ticket specials available for Cirque du Soleil - Discounted tickets available through December 19, 2014.
- VIDEO: Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade - Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom.
- Blog - Reduce Theme Park Lines? Invest in New Attractions
- Free breakfast offer for length of stay at Aulani - This offer must be booked by December 18.
- Jingle Cruise returns to Magic Kingdom for the holidays - The attraction will receive a new storyline, just for the holidays. This will be open throughout the holiday season, as well as during Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party.
- Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmastime Parade Photos - Photos from Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmastime Parade, including the new addition of characters from Frozen and Wreck-It-Ralph.
- VIDEO: Anna and Elsa join Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade - Frozen's Anna, Elsa, Olaf and Kristoff join Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime parade at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom.
- Memory Maker now available for purchase after your vacation - Memory Maker can now be purchased after your trip. Previously it had only been available in advance or on-site.
- Animated Magic Shots added at select Memory Maker locations - These shots will put an animated video overlay on one of your photos.
- Christmas Day parade taping to take place at Magic Kingdom December 6-9 - The parade that airs Christmas morning on ABC is filmed at the Magic Kingdom. Park guests can attend the taping with their regular park tickets. No special tickets will be needed.
- Big Hero 6 meet and greet now open at Disney's Hollywood Studios - Hiro and Baymax are now greeting guests in the Magic of Disney Animation building.
- Blog - Frozen Ice Palace Debuts at Malls Across the Country
- PANDORA Jewelry Showcase will debut Disney Parks line - The event will take place November 7-8, 2014 at Cherry Tree Lane in the Marketplace Co-Op at Downtown Disney.
- Last day for the Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow at Hollywood Studios - The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow is an interactive experience where guests can join forces with other pirates to battle Davy Jones, the Krakken and even mermaids.
- VIDEO: 'A Frozen Holiday Wish' Cinderella Castle Lighting Show at Magic Kingdom - This year, Elsa uses her magical powers to transform Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom into an icy palace with the help of Anna, Kristoff and Olaf.
- Blog - A Frozen Holiday Wish debuts at Magic Kingdom
- Special "Elsa" Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom card available at Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party - "Elsa's Icy Shield" lets game players use Elsa's ice powers to defeat villains.
- The Best Resorts at Walt Disney World - We asked the listeners to our DIS Unplugged podcast/video show to vote on their favorites, and we uncovered a few surprises along the way. We received more than 3200 votes in total, and we asked people to rate their favorite resort by category – best Value resort, vest moderate, best deluxe and best home away from home.
- Thanksgiving dining information for Walt Disney World - All the restaurants will be open on Thanksgiving, but some have special menus available.
- Aulani plans Thanksgiving feast - Celebrate the holiday in the Kaiona Ballroom. The menu will include traditional Thanksgiving favorites with an island twist.
- Cirque du Soleil ticket discounts available for Annual Passholders - Offer good on performances November 6-December 19, 2014.
- Annual passholders can save up to 35% at select Walt Disney World hotels - Valid for stays most nights 1/5/15 - 3/28/15.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Entrance 2 Parking lots A-G closed 12/1/2014-8/1/2016 to make way for the Town Center and the East Garage.
- 4 Reasons Why Disney's Hollywood Studios Needs To (And Will) Change - I want the current Disney's Hollywood Studios to succeed. I want to see it grow into something great. Here are some of the reasons I think Disney's Hollywood Studios needs to change for the better.
- Richard Petty "Jr. Ride-Along Experience" - free souvenir photo for Disney Visa cardholders - Get a free souvenir photo ($17.50 value) when you use your Disney Visa card to pay for the Jr. Ride-Along experience. Offer ends June 30, 2015.
- November Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings at Walt Disney World - All month long, Disney artists can be found at signings across property.
- Blizzard Beach to be closed November 1 due to cold temperatures - Typhoon Lagoon is also closed, but due to its annual rehab.
- Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Food & Wine Classic to be held this weekend - This event features wine and beer seminars, tasting stations and live music.
- Blog - Mickey's Halloween Party vs. Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
- How To Coach Someone Onto Thrill Rides - There is no fail-proof formula, but over the years I have found a few coaching techniques that I use with thrill-phobic personalities. With them I have coaxed quite a few of the most stubborn people in my life onto attractions they never imagined they would test.
- MagicBands will automatically add ride photos to your account - If guests are wearing an active MagicBand when they ride on select attractions, the photos will automatically be added to their My Disney Experience account.
- Blog - 'Move It! Shake It! Dance & Play It!' Street Party debuts at Magic Kingdom
- Top 5 Disney Bucket List Items - You know those things you always wanted to do but haven't had the time or money to do them?
- First night of Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party is sold out - Tickets are still available on the other nights.
- Planning a Disney Halloween Party in 10 Steps - A few ideas and 10 steps for planning a Disney Halloween party in your own neighborhood.
- A new flag waving act has opened in the Italy Pavilion - Sbandieratori Di Sansepolcro performs 12-minute shows several times daily.
- Walt Disney World's Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid plans month-long rehab - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed from 2/2/2015 - 3/6/2015.
- Island Supply store in Magic Kingdom's Adventureland closing - The shop will be closing 10/22/14 and will be replaced later this year.
- LeVar Burton and Edward James Olmos added to Candlelight Processional narrators - The Candlelight Processional takes place at Epcot from 11/28-12/30/14.
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party tickets sold out on 10/28/14 - Tickets are also sold out on the 30th and 31st.
- "Santa's Favorite Resort" is the Walt Disney World Swan & Dolphin Hotel
- SeaWorld to debut new Clyde & Seamore show in spring
- New Anaheim transportation hub to open next month
- Last surviving child of Knott's founder dies
- Knott's Berry Farm announces new 4-D attraction
- Superheroes take over the inaugural Avengers half marathon
- Slacker Radio picks up Radio Disney programming
- Disney Interactive announces several changes for digital projects
- Schedule for handmade candy canes at Disneyland
- Citricos to offer princess breakfast while Cinderella's Royal Table is rehabbed