1900 Park Fare – Grand Floridian
Review by Kevin Klose - 11/07
With friends visiting from out of town, we found ourselves with advanced dining reservations for 1900 Park Fare. The restaurant is tucked away in a corner just inside the entrance to Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort.
There were 6 adults in our party and more than one of us was curious as to why a character buffet meal was chosen when our goal was to enjoy dinner and conversation…but two members of the party love 1900 and visit on each and every subsequent trip. As they had already made the reservations, the rest of us agreed that we would go along.
The restaurant had recently undergone a rehab period and we were curious as to what changes had occurred.
You are greeted at a hostess stand just outside a set of double doors that are closed when you arrive. This is where you will check in. In the past, Fairy Godmother from Cinderella was in this area greeting guests along with two of the mice, Suzie and Perla. That initial character interaction seems to have been discontinued.
One of the hosts / hostesses escorts you to your table and as those closed double doors open, you are greeted by one of the loudest restaurants on Disney property. I realize that that this is not the thing you usually notice first about a restaurant, but it’s impossible to not notice. It’s a wall of sound and excitement.
You are now part of a character experience and the excitement and anticipation is palpable. Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine and her two daughters Drisella and Anastasia are in the house and the younger set knows it.
1900 Park Fare is a buffet and the menu changes from day to day. On the day we were there, they were featuring an international menu. There were selections from France (coq au vin, salade nicoise), Italy (pasta, seafood salad), Asia (stir fry, rice) and assorted other dishes with an international bent. There were also “American” offerings. They were slicing prime rib, turkey and all of the trimmings (mashed potatoes, gravy etc). There is also a children’s buffet with typical kid fare…chicken, pizz, mac and cheese etc. and a dessert buffet.
When doing something like this, I would usually be more descriptive regarding the food offerings but my understanding is that the buffet will change daily and to be perfectly honest, the food takes a distant second place to the character aspect of this restaurant.
Meeting Cinderella is one of the highlights of a Disney trip for many youngsters and this is a great place to do that. Reservations tend to be easier to secure than those at Cinderella’s Royal Table inside the castle in the Magic Kingdom.
At 1900 Park Fare, Cindy makes her way through the dining room frequently. She is joined by the other characters and I must tell you…at least two of the Tremaine ladies are a hoot. Lady Tremaine is imperious and sarcastically funny with a subtle evil edge and Drisella was loud, crass, rambunctious and the kids LOVED her. On the evening we were there, Anastasia was a bit more low key, friendly but quiet. Druzilla had the children involved and dancing.
With that being said….I must make mention again of the noise level in this restaurant. It hovers near “chaos”. In addition to the noise being generated as the characters move through, there are pre-recorded musical announcements to celebrate any and all occasions going on and on the night we were there…there were groups of children screaming for no apparent reason other than excitement.
We sat near a young family with 5 boys and at one point all five boys were screaming at the top of their voices, not at anyone in particular…just because they could. This even caused the lovely Cinderella to mention when visiting our table that “there are some rowdy Princes and Princesses here this evening.” She also mentioned that as soon as she spoke to these 5 princes, they would become absolutely silent and that’s exactly what happened. It was fun to watch the interaction.
To finish this up….I would suggest that you visit 1900 Park Fare to get some time with Cindy and the ladies Tremaine as that is what will create memories. The food is good but secondary. I would guess that a year after your visit, your child will remember dancing with Cinderella much more than nuggets and fries.
The cost of the dinner buffet is $28.99 for adults and $13.99 for kids aged 3 – 9. The price includes a non-alcoholic beverage.
- Haunted Mansion reopens after refurb - The attraction has been closed since the beginning of the month.
- 3 Must-See Character Spots That You Might Have Missed - Today, we will look specifically at 3 Character Meet & Greets that we were completely unaware of and that absolutely made our trip.
- STK Orlando to open at Disney Springs, plus other retailers apply - STK will open in 2015.
- Blog - Christmas by the Numbers at Walt Disney World
- Trattoria al Forno now open at Disney's BoardWalk - This Italian restaurant has opened in the space vacated by Kouzzina by Cat Cora.
- Disney World for College Students: The Spring Break Alternative - When one thinks of Walt Disney World they often think of a place fit for families and little kids and while that is true the allure is for many more. It is certainly not a Spring Breakers-esque destination for college kids but, it can be a great time for all who want to go.
- 4 Reasons Why Tomorrowland Needs Change
- Traveling with kids Part 2 - Bites - Anyone who has traveled with kids knows how important it is to keep them well-fed and hydrated. Actually, that's just a good rule in general...
- Registration now open for the 2015 Expedition Everest Challenge - This event will be held 5/1-5/2/15.
- How Magically Sluggish WiFi Made My Disney Experience Perfect
- Woman dead after car collides with Disney bus - A Windermere, FL, woman is dead after her car collided with a Disney bus.
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party sold out on December 16 - The only available date remaining is December 18.
- Do You Remember the First Time? - I still have very clear memories about my first visit all those years ago. It was 1980, and even though I only spent two days in the Magic Kingdom, as that was the only park to visit, something about the experience clearly resonated deeply with me.
- Information and artist renderings of new Polynesian DVC property - There will be 20 Bungalows and 360 Deluxe Studios.
- Beginning 3/8/15, characters will be at Tusker House dinners - Reservations are now available.
- Aulani plans Christmas festivities - There will be seasonal crafts, movie nights, Christmas dinner and a Holiday Starlit Hui.
- Traveling With Kids Part 1 - Boredom - In this article, Iíll specifically talk about Boredom and some ways to keep the kids entertained while you travel.
- Itinerary change for 12/19/15 Disney Fantasy sailing - This sailing will visit Tortola instead of St. Maarten.
- One Band's Dream | Why Walt would have loved the idea of Magic Bands and FastPass+ - I tend to give Disney the benefit of the doubt in most cases. I want to think that Walt's grand idea of a magical place for families to come and enjoy is still the driving force behind the company. When listening to responses to Fast Pass+ and Magic Bands however, that doesn't seem to be a popular viewpoint. So I am going to come to the defense of these programs and try and offer a slightly more optimistic point of view.
- Purchase tickets directly through My Disney Experience app - Guests can now purchase tickets directly through My Disney Experience. Tickets can be 1-10 days, either one-park or park hoppers. Tickets can be assigned to existing Family and Friends and then Fastpass+ reservations can be made.
- What to Expect When You're Expecting... at Disney - There are many reasons a woman might find herself on a Disney parks vacation while pregnant. Maybe an older child is celebrating a big birthday. Maybe itís a family reunion. Maybe this trip was planned well in advance and now youíre facing it with a happy bundle of joy on the way.
- Blog - Frozen Welcomes the Hour of Code
- "The Taste of Hollywood Winter Holiday Grab n Go" boxed meals offered at Hollywood Studios - These are available from 12/24-12/31 and include reserved seating for Fantasmic.
- Update on check-in times for Tomorrowland Terrace Fireworks Dessert Party - If your reservation is between 6:00 and 6:20pm, you should check in one hour before the fireworks.
- Exposition Park, home to the Disney food trucks, opens at Downtown Disney - This area is located between Bongo's Cuban Cafe and Starbucks.
- Memory Maker pre-purchase price raised to $169 - The price was previously $149.
- Character meals planned for Star Wars Weekends - The Jedi Mickey's Star Wars Dine and the Star Wars Galactic Dine-In Breakfast are back for the second year.
- The Paul McKenna Band joins entertainment at United Kingdom Pavilion - The 4-piece acoustic folk band will perform several times daily.
- Dates announced for 2015 Star Wars Weekends - The event will be held Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, May 15 - June 14, 2015
- December merchandise events at Walt Disney World - Meet Disney artists for signings and appearances around Walt Disney World.
- runDisney reveals medals for Princess Half Marathon Weekend - This event will be held 2/19/15 - 2/22/15.
- Blog - Peter Pan's Flight's new queue opens at Magic Kingdom
- Tangled Tributes - Kingdom Crossing at the Magic Kingdom - I've been through here many times, but after watching the movie so many times recently, I was really struck by all the details here in the theming. There are so many little nods to the film that most guests probably just walk right by.
- Candlelight Processional begins tonight with narrator Jodi Benson - The Candlelight Processional takes place November 28 - December 30, 2014.
- Blog - Vintage Christmas Merchandise at Walt Disney World
- VIDEO: 2014 Walt Disney World Holiday Showcase - Join JeniLynn Knopp of the DIS Unplugged as she speaks with Steven Miller about holiday merchandise and shopping, Robert Hargrove and Santa Stitch about holiday entertainment, and Flash, Garland and The Boss about decorating Walt Disney World!
- 3 Surprising Things About Working at Mission: SPACE - Hereís a few of the things I learned about the attraction and about being a cast member at Mission: SPACE.
- Blog - A Weekend at Give Kids the World Village
- Christmas Eve dinner available for Disney Vacation Club members - The dinner will include a buffet, Christmas carolers and photo ops with Mickey and Minnie.
- Walt Disney World New Year's Eve dining information - Many of the restaurants will offer special meals or dining events to celebrate the holiday.
- Discounts and payment plans available at Walt Disney World Speedway - Several of the driving experiences are available with a discount through the holidays.
- Epcot's Canadian Lumberjack show on hiatus - The show will resume 1/4/15.
- Play nine holes of golf at Disney for just $29 - Play 9 holes at the Disney golf courses starting anytime between 7:00 and 8:30am for just $29.
- Details for 2015 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - Anna and Elsa topiaries will be on display at World Showcase Plaza.
- Epcot's Spice Road Table now accepts reservations - Reservations are available beginning December 2.
- The Comedy Warehouse Holiday Special to return to Hollywood Studios - This improvisational comedy show will return to the Premier Theater at Hollywood Studios from December 21, 2014 - January 4, 2015.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Magic Kingdom Hub - Cinderella Castle - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Magic Kingdom Hub - Cinderella Castle
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - The Diamond Horseshoe Balcony - The Diamond Horseshoe - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at The Diamond Horseshoe Balcony - The Diamond Horseshoe
- Save up to 30% on a stay at Aulani - Discount is available most nights 4/6 - 6/15/15.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Bay Lake Tower 15th Floor - Magic Kingdom - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Bay Lake Tower 15th Floor - Magic Kingdom
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party sold out on November 20 - There are still many MVMCP dates available.
- Plan B Character Dining at Walt Disney World - If youíre looking to make a reservation for a character meal and canít get one, weíve got a couple of suggestions for places you may not have thought of.
- Blizzard Beach to be closed November 17 due to cold temperatures - Typhoon Lagoon is already closed for its annual refurbishment.
- Top 5(+) things that are better at Walt Disney World than at Disneyland - Bigger may not always be better, but isn't always worse either. I can't resist countering with an article that lists, in my view, the things that are better at Walt Disney World.
- Guests meeting Santa at Downtown Disney have new notification option - Guests will get pagers if the wait exceeds 30 minutes (or they can choose to receive a text message instead). When their pager goes off and they return to Santa's Chalet, they will have about a 20 minute wait.
- Disney Visa cardholders get a special gift when taking advantage of Aulani discount - When booking the 4th night free offer, Disney Visa cardholders will also receive a special Welcome Gift at check-in with specialty items and signature Aulani merchandise ($98 value).
- SeaWorld lays off Clyde & Seamore mimes, among others
- Man sentenced to 5 years for Disney ticket scam
- Club 33 members upset about more changes to benefits
- Iger says future Star Wars attractions to be based on new films
- SeaWorld's CEO steps down
- Man sues SeaWorld for automatically renewing his annual pass
- Retirement date set for Disney's Meg Crofton
- Woman sues Disney, claiming disability after falling from carousel horse
- Hotel leadership changes at Walt Disney World
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer released