Disney's Wilderness Lodge Resort
Review by Kevin Klose
Disney’s Wilderness Lodge is esthetically my favorite resort on property.
I like everything about the hotel, but have never been crazy about the restaurant choices.
I find the Whispering Canyon Café to be a waste of time and money “food wise”. I realize that some guests are entertained by shouting, galloping and receiving 10 bottles of ketchup, but I can be entertained with much greater success elsewhere on Disney property. I believe a restaurant stands or falls on the quality of their food and in my opinion, and based on that criteria, the Whispering Canyon Café sadly, falls flat. I have found the entertainment can be sporadic and at times, non-existent, so that fails as well.
But this isn’t about Whispering Canyon Café…..
I have dined at Artist Point on a few previous occasions and have never been “wowed” by the restaurant. I’m of the opinion that restaurant is beautifully appointed and occupies a place of honor in this glorious hotel, so, I have always hoped that the next time will be different. It is with this thought that I approached this dinner.
We arrived for our 6:30 Advance Dining Reservation (ADR) to find an almost empty restaurant.
Artist Point is a fairly large space and on the night we were there, there were three tables being used at that time. This made getting a coveted window seat very easy.
Shortly after we began dinner (7:00ish), the restaurant filled to almost capacity, so if you ever have trouble securing an ADR, it seems 5:30 – 7:00pm is a great time to request.
We were shown to a great table and our server quickly introduced himself and took our drink orders.
As I have explained before, I find that Disney restaurants tend to deliver your dinner just after your appetizers have arrived, so we asked that we be allowed to order appetizers first and wait till they arrived to order our dinner.
From a business perspective, I can understand that shortening the time that a guest occupies a seat allows for that seat to be filled with yet another paying guest. From a paying customer perspective, I feel that you should be allowed to enjoy a meal at your own pace.
From the six offered appetizers, I chose the Smokey Portobello Soup with Roasted Shitakes and Chive Oil ($8.00). This is a rich, delicious, creamy soup. My only issue is with the color. The soup is the color of wet cement. While the flavor is wonderful, it looks unappetizing.
We shared the selection of Artisan Cheeses with Riesling –poached Raisins, Dried Cranberries and Walnut Toast. ($13.00). This is a small serving of three different cheeses with the raisins and cranberries separating them. We enjoyed this dish.
We also ordered the Crispy Venison Spring Rolls with Hot sweet and Sour Sauce ($8.00). As this wasn’t my appetizer, I had only a bite. They were not my cup of tea, but John seemed to love them. When asked if he would order them again, he said yes quickly.
As there was not an appetizer that appealed to my Mother, we ordered the Potato-Chive Pot Stickers with Edamame, Spinach and Soy Vinaigrette entrée ($20.00) as an appetizer. These were dumplings fried crispy and filled with a potato-chive filling. They were quite good. The surprise to this dish was that the bed of edamame and spinach was scorchingly spicy. This is not noted anywhere in the description and came as quite a surprise. When we asked the server about this, he stated that the spice was from a Thai, hot, red pepper sauce. This is something people should know prior to ordering this entrée.
After our appetizers, our entrees began arriving.
John had the Grilled Buffalo Sirloin with Sweet Potato – Hazelnut Gratin and Sweet Onion Jam ($39.00). While John enjoyed his dinner, we were surprised at the size of the portion. The portion of buffalo was surprisingly small given the price. The hazelnut sweet potatoes were very good and complimented the buffalo.
Mom ordered the Roasted Chicken Breast with Pear and Apple – Root Vegetable Mash, Sea Beans and Port Anise Reduction (28.00) As The only part of the entrée that appealed to her was the chicken, she asked that roasted fingerling potatoes be substituted for the vegetable mash. When asked what Sea Beans were, we were informed that the restaurant was out of them and haricot verts (green beans) were being subbed out. We also asked for the Port Anise Reduction on the side. There is little that can be said about a a chicken breast, roasted potatoes and green beans. There was just nothing special about the meal. The Port Anise Reduction was tried by everyone at the table and everyone had the exact same reaction and it wasn’t good. Mom was glad that this wasn’t on her chicken.
Finally, I had the Seared Jumbo Day – Boat Scallops with Hazelnut Butter Potatoes, Zellwood Corn, Cherry Tomatoes and Preserved Lemons. ($29.00)
When my dish was presented, I had to suppress a small laugh as there were three scallops on the plate. While the scallops were very good, the hazelnut potatoes were not. As stated earlier, the hazelnut sweet potatoes were a nice accompaniment to the buffalo. The hazelnut potatoes overpowered the delicate scallops and had a cloying sweetness that was almost unpleasant. The majority was left on the plate. There were also 4 roasted cherry tomatoes and approximately two tablespoons of corn. As the potatoes were not very good and the veggies were in short supply, this meal seemed highly over-priced. Ten bucks a scallop is way out of line no matter how well they are prepared.
We finished our meal with two desserts. We tried the Artist Point Cobbler of Seasonal Berries and House-made Black Raspberry Ice Cream ($9.00) and Peach Upside-down Cake with Warm Peach Compote, Almond Florentine Tuile, and Peach – Amaretto Ice Cream. ($12.00).
The Cobbler was not really a cobbler at all. It was raspberries, blueberries and quartered strawberries over the top portion of a berry muffin with a walnut sized serving of ice cream. The berries were good and the ice cream was tasty. It was a rather stingy serving given the price, but as a whole….this wasn’t worth the money.
The Peach concoction fared better. The cake was moist and delicious and about the size of a hockey puck. The warm peach compote was just ok. It was served in a puddle in the middle of the dish. It looked as if the person plating the dessert had missed their mark or that something had been spilled. It would have been more appetizing contained in a smaller dish. And again, the peach ice cream was very good…walnut sized in portion, but good. Not to sound like a broken record…but this is not a bargain at $12.00. It’s ok when it should be spectacular.
As I type this, I realize that just about everything we ordered was hyphenated. As I thought this to be over priced for what was received, I’m beginning to wonder if we were charged for the hyphens.
I started this by telling you that I have never been impressed with this restaurant.
My opinion hasn’t changed.
This just isn’t a “wow” experience and at these prices that’s what you should get.
- Haunted Mansion reopens after refurb - The attraction has been closed since the beginning of the month.
- 3 Must-See Character Spots That You Might Have Missed - Today, we will look specifically at 3 Character Meet & Greets that we were completely unaware of and that absolutely made our trip.
- STK Orlando to open at Disney Springs, plus other retailers apply - STK will open in 2015.
- Blog - Christmas by the Numbers at Walt Disney World
- Trattoria al Forno now open at Disney's BoardWalk - This Italian restaurant has opened in the space vacated by Kouzzina by Cat Cora.
- Disney World for College Students: The Spring Break Alternative - When one thinks of Walt Disney World they often think of a place fit for families and little kids and while that is true the allure is for many more. It is certainly not a Spring Breakers-esque destination for college kids but, it can be a great time for all who want to go.
- 4 Reasons Why Tomorrowland Needs Change
- Traveling with kids Part 2 - Bites - Anyone who has traveled with kids knows how important it is to keep them well-fed and hydrated. Actually, that's just a good rule in general...
- Registration now open for the 2015 Expedition Everest Challenge - This event will be held 5/1-5/2/15.
- How Magically Sluggish WiFi Made My Disney Experience Perfect
- Woman dead after car collides with Disney bus - A Windermere, FL, woman is dead after her car collided with a Disney bus.
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party sold out on December 16 - The only available date remaining is December 18.
- Do You Remember the First Time? - I still have very clear memories about my first visit all those years ago. It was 1980, and even though I only spent two days in the Magic Kingdom, as that was the only park to visit, something about the experience clearly resonated deeply with me.
- Information and artist renderings of new Polynesian DVC property - There will be 20 Bungalows and 360 Deluxe Studios.
- Beginning 3/8/15, characters will be at Tusker House dinners - Reservations are now available.
- Aulani plans Christmas festivities - There will be seasonal crafts, movie nights, Christmas dinner and a Holiday Starlit Hui.
- Traveling With Kids Part 1 - Boredom - In this article, Iíll specifically talk about Boredom and some ways to keep the kids entertained while you travel.
- Itinerary change for 12/19/15 Disney Fantasy sailing - This sailing will visit Tortola instead of St. Maarten.
- One Band's Dream | Why Walt would have loved the idea of Magic Bands and FastPass+ - I tend to give Disney the benefit of the doubt in most cases. I want to think that Walt's grand idea of a magical place for families to come and enjoy is still the driving force behind the company. When listening to responses to Fast Pass+ and Magic Bands however, that doesn't seem to be a popular viewpoint. So I am going to come to the defense of these programs and try and offer a slightly more optimistic point of view.
- Purchase tickets directly through My Disney Experience app - Guests can now purchase tickets directly through My Disney Experience. Tickets can be 1-10 days, either one-park or park hoppers. Tickets can be assigned to existing Family and Friends and then Fastpass+ reservations can be made.
- What to Expect When You're Expecting... at Disney - There are many reasons a woman might find herself on a Disney parks vacation while pregnant. Maybe an older child is celebrating a big birthday. Maybe itís a family reunion. Maybe this trip was planned well in advance and now youíre facing it with a happy bundle of joy on the way.
- Blog - Frozen Welcomes the Hour of Code
- "The Taste of Hollywood Winter Holiday Grab n Go" boxed meals offered at Hollywood Studios - These are available from 12/24-12/31 and include reserved seating for Fantasmic.
- Update on check-in times for Tomorrowland Terrace Fireworks Dessert Party - If your reservation is between 6:00 and 6:20pm, you should check in one hour before the fireworks.
- Exposition Park, home to the Disney food trucks, opens at Downtown Disney - This area is located between Bongo's Cuban Cafe and Starbucks.
- Memory Maker pre-purchase price raised to $169 - The price was previously $149.
- Character meals planned for Star Wars Weekends - The Jedi Mickey's Star Wars Dine and the Star Wars Galactic Dine-In Breakfast are back for the second year.
- The Paul McKenna Band joins entertainment at United Kingdom Pavilion - The 4-piece acoustic folk band will perform several times daily.
- Dates announced for 2015 Star Wars Weekends - The event will be held Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, May 15 - June 14, 2015
- December merchandise events at Walt Disney World - Meet Disney artists for signings and appearances around Walt Disney World.
- runDisney reveals medals for Princess Half Marathon Weekend - This event will be held 2/19/15 - 2/22/15.
- Blog - Peter Pan's Flight's new queue opens at Magic Kingdom
- Tangled Tributes - Kingdom Crossing at the Magic Kingdom - I've been through here many times, but after watching the movie so many times recently, I was really struck by all the details here in the theming. There are so many little nods to the film that most guests probably just walk right by.
- Candlelight Processional begins tonight with narrator Jodi Benson - The Candlelight Processional takes place November 28 - December 30, 2014.
- Blog - Vintage Christmas Merchandise at Walt Disney World
- VIDEO: 2014 Walt Disney World Holiday Showcase - Join JeniLynn Knopp of the DIS Unplugged as she speaks with Steven Miller about holiday merchandise and shopping, Robert Hargrove and Santa Stitch about holiday entertainment, and Flash, Garland and The Boss about decorating Walt Disney World!
- 3 Surprising Things About Working at Mission: SPACE - Hereís a few of the things I learned about the attraction and about being a cast member at Mission: SPACE.
- Blog - A Weekend at Give Kids the World Village
- Christmas Eve dinner available for Disney Vacation Club members - The dinner will include a buffet, Christmas carolers and photo ops with Mickey and Minnie.
- Walt Disney World New Year's Eve dining information - Many of the restaurants will offer special meals or dining events to celebrate the holiday.
- Discounts and payment plans available at Walt Disney World Speedway - Several of the driving experiences are available with a discount through the holidays.
- Epcot's Canadian Lumberjack show on hiatus - The show will resume 1/4/15.
- Play nine holes of golf at Disney for just $29 - Play 9 holes at the Disney golf courses starting anytime between 7:00 and 8:30am for just $29.
- Details for 2015 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - Anna and Elsa topiaries will be on display at World Showcase Plaza.
- Epcot's Spice Road Table now accepts reservations - Reservations are available beginning December 2.
- The Comedy Warehouse Holiday Special to return to Hollywood Studios - This improvisational comedy show will return to the Premier Theater at Hollywood Studios from December 21, 2014 - January 4, 2015.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Magic Kingdom Hub - Cinderella Castle - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Magic Kingdom Hub - Cinderella Castle
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - The Diamond Horseshoe Balcony - The Diamond Horseshoe - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at The Diamond Horseshoe Balcony - The Diamond Horseshoe
- Save up to 30% on a stay at Aulani - Discount is available most nights 4/6 - 6/15/15.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Bay Lake Tower 15th Floor - Magic Kingdom - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Bay Lake Tower 15th Floor - Magic Kingdom
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party sold out on November 20 - There are still many MVMCP dates available.
- Plan B Character Dining at Walt Disney World - If youíre looking to make a reservation for a character meal and canít get one, weíve got a couple of suggestions for places you may not have thought of.
- Blizzard Beach to be closed November 17 due to cold temperatures - Typhoon Lagoon is already closed for its annual refurbishment.
- Top 5(+) things that are better at Walt Disney World than at Disneyland - Bigger may not always be better, but isn't always worse either. I can't resist countering with an article that lists, in my view, the things that are better at Walt Disney World.
- Guests meeting Santa at Downtown Disney have new notification option - Guests will get pagers if the wait exceeds 30 minutes (or they can choose to receive a text message instead). When their pager goes off and they return to Santa's Chalet, they will have about a 20 minute wait.
- Disney Visa cardholders get a special gift when taking advantage of Aulani discount - When booking the 4th night free offer, Disney Visa cardholders will also receive a special Welcome Gift at check-in with specialty items and signature Aulani merchandise ($98 value).
- SeaWorld lays off Clyde & Seamore mimes, among others
- Man sentenced to 5 years for Disney ticket scam
- Club 33 members upset about more changes to benefits
- Iger says future Star Wars attractions to be based on new films
- SeaWorld's CEO steps down
- Man sues SeaWorld for automatically renewing his annual pass
- Retirement date set for Disney's Meg Crofton
- Woman sues Disney, claiming disability after falling from carousel horse
- Hotel leadership changes at Walt Disney World
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer released