Disney's Wilderness Lodge Resort
Review by Kevin Klose
Disney’s Wilderness Lodge is esthetically my favorite resort on property.
I like everything about the hotel, but have never been crazy about the restaurant choices.
I find the Whispering Canyon Café to be a waste of time and money “food wise”. I realize that some guests are entertained by shouting, galloping and receiving 10 bottles of ketchup, but I can be entertained with much greater success elsewhere on Disney property. I believe a restaurant stands or falls on the quality of their food and in my opinion, and based on that criteria, the Whispering Canyon Café sadly, falls flat. I have found the entertainment can be sporadic and at times, non-existent, so that fails as well.
But this isn’t about Whispering Canyon Café…..
I have dined at Artist Point on a few previous occasions and have never been “wowed” by the restaurant. I’m of the opinion that restaurant is beautifully appointed and occupies a place of honor in this glorious hotel, so, I have always hoped that the next time will be different. It is with this thought that I approached this dinner.
We arrived for our 6:30 Advance Dining Reservation (ADR) to find an almost empty restaurant.
Artist Point is a fairly large space and on the night we were there, there were three tables being used at that time. This made getting a coveted window seat very easy.
Shortly after we began dinner (7:00ish), the restaurant filled to almost capacity, so if you ever have trouble securing an ADR, it seems 5:30 – 7:00pm is a great time to request.
We were shown to a great table and our server quickly introduced himself and took our drink orders.
As I have explained before, I find that Disney restaurants tend to deliver your dinner just after your appetizers have arrived, so we asked that we be allowed to order appetizers first and wait till they arrived to order our dinner.
From a business perspective, I can understand that shortening the time that a guest occupies a seat allows for that seat to be filled with yet another paying guest. From a paying customer perspective, I feel that you should be allowed to enjoy a meal at your own pace.
From the six offered appetizers, I chose the Smokey Portobello Soup with Roasted Shitakes and Chive Oil ($8.00). This is a rich, delicious, creamy soup. My only issue is with the color. The soup is the color of wet cement. While the flavor is wonderful, it looks unappetizing.
We shared the selection of Artisan Cheeses with Riesling –poached Raisins, Dried Cranberries and Walnut Toast. ($13.00). This is a small serving of three different cheeses with the raisins and cranberries separating them. We enjoyed this dish.
We also ordered the Crispy Venison Spring Rolls with Hot sweet and Sour Sauce ($8.00). As this wasn’t my appetizer, I had only a bite. They were not my cup of tea, but John seemed to love them. When asked if he would order them again, he said yes quickly.
As there was not an appetizer that appealed to my Mother, we ordered the Potato-Chive Pot Stickers with Edamame, Spinach and Soy Vinaigrette entrée ($20.00) as an appetizer. These were dumplings fried crispy and filled with a potato-chive filling. They were quite good. The surprise to this dish was that the bed of edamame and spinach was scorchingly spicy. This is not noted anywhere in the description and came as quite a surprise. When we asked the server about this, he stated that the spice was from a Thai, hot, red pepper sauce. This is something people should know prior to ordering this entrée.
After our appetizers, our entrees began arriving.
John had the Grilled Buffalo Sirloin with Sweet Potato – Hazelnut Gratin and Sweet Onion Jam ($39.00). While John enjoyed his dinner, we were surprised at the size of the portion. The portion of buffalo was surprisingly small given the price. The hazelnut sweet potatoes were very good and complimented the buffalo.
Mom ordered the Roasted Chicken Breast with Pear and Apple – Root Vegetable Mash, Sea Beans and Port Anise Reduction (28.00) As The only part of the entrée that appealed to her was the chicken, she asked that roasted fingerling potatoes be substituted for the vegetable mash. When asked what Sea Beans were, we were informed that the restaurant was out of them and haricot verts (green beans) were being subbed out. We also asked for the Port Anise Reduction on the side. There is little that can be said about a a chicken breast, roasted potatoes and green beans. There was just nothing special about the meal. The Port Anise Reduction was tried by everyone at the table and everyone had the exact same reaction and it wasn’t good. Mom was glad that this wasn’t on her chicken.
Finally, I had the Seared Jumbo Day – Boat Scallops with Hazelnut Butter Potatoes, Zellwood Corn, Cherry Tomatoes and Preserved Lemons. ($29.00)
When my dish was presented, I had to suppress a small laugh as there were three scallops on the plate. While the scallops were very good, the hazelnut potatoes were not. As stated earlier, the hazelnut sweet potatoes were a nice accompaniment to the buffalo. The hazelnut potatoes overpowered the delicate scallops and had a cloying sweetness that was almost unpleasant. The majority was left on the plate. There were also 4 roasted cherry tomatoes and approximately two tablespoons of corn. As the potatoes were not very good and the veggies were in short supply, this meal seemed highly over-priced. Ten bucks a scallop is way out of line no matter how well they are prepared.
We finished our meal with two desserts. We tried the Artist Point Cobbler of Seasonal Berries and House-made Black Raspberry Ice Cream ($9.00) and Peach Upside-down Cake with Warm Peach Compote, Almond Florentine Tuile, and Peach – Amaretto Ice Cream. ($12.00).
The Cobbler was not really a cobbler at all. It was raspberries, blueberries and quartered strawberries over the top portion of a berry muffin with a walnut sized serving of ice cream. The berries were good and the ice cream was tasty. It was a rather stingy serving given the price, but as a whole….this wasn’t worth the money.
The Peach concoction fared better. The cake was moist and delicious and about the size of a hockey puck. The warm peach compote was just ok. It was served in a puddle in the middle of the dish. It looked as if the person plating the dessert had missed their mark or that something had been spilled. It would have been more appetizing contained in a smaller dish. And again, the peach ice cream was very good…walnut sized in portion, but good. Not to sound like a broken record…but this is not a bargain at $12.00. It’s ok when it should be spectacular.
As I type this, I realize that just about everything we ordered was hyphenated. As I thought this to be over priced for what was received, I’m beginning to wonder if we were charged for the hyphens.
I started this by telling you that I have never been impressed with this restaurant.
My opinion hasn’t changed.
This just isn’t a “wow” experience and at these prices that’s what you should get.
- Blog - The Good and Bad of “Toy Story of TERROR!” on Blu-ray
- American Idol Experience is now closed at Disney's Hollywood Studios - This attraction closed August 30, 2014. No definitive plans have been announced for this space.
- VIDEO: Oogie Boogie's Freaky Funhouse Show at Villains Unleashed - Oogie Boogie's Freaky Funhouse Show at Villains Unleashed brings Vegas to Walt Disney World. Villains Unleashed took over Disney's Hollywood Studios on August 23, 2014 and part of the hard ticket event was Oogie Boogie's Freak Funhouse Show. Oogie Boogie hosts the show that features a sword-swallowing act, daredevil archery and a finale full of fire!
- Refurb closures planned for Walt Disney World water parks - Typhoon Lagoon will be closed 10/26/14-1/3/15 and Blizzard Beach will be closed 1/4/15-3/14/15.
- Top 5 Signature Dining Experiences at the Walt Disney World Resorts - 1,600 listeners and viewers of our DIS Unplugged web-cast voted on their favorite signature restaurants at the Walt Disney World resort hotels.
- Blog - The Top 5 Underutilized Spaces at Walt Disney World
- Starbucks will open at Hollywood Studios in February 2015 - The Trolley Car Cafe will be located along Hollywood Boulevard and be themed like a trolley car station. Disney baked goods and Starbucks La Boulange pastry items will be available. An exact location hasn't been announced.
- VIDEO - Frozen Fireworks Multi-Angle Full Show - “Frozen” Fireworks Spectacular – Everything wraps up at 9:45 p.m. when Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, and Olaf come together at the Sorcerer’s Hat Icon Stage for a grand finale to the day’s festivities, kicking off an awe-inspiring fireworks display set to the glorious music of “Frozen!”
- VIDEO: Star-Lord & Gamora from 'Guardians of the Galaxy' at Villains Unleashed - Peter Quill, aka Star-Lord, and Gamora made their first appearance ever at the Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix Tape Vol. 1 Dance Party during the Villains Unleashed event at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
- Mikala Canoe Club Marina at Polynesian to be closed for refurb - The marina will be closed 9/15 - 9/19/2014. Sail boat/motorized boats and fishing excursions will not be available.
- Entrance 4 to Downtown Disney's parking lot now closed - Entrance 4 (between Cirque du Soleil and DisneyQuest) is now closed permanently. The only entrances are Entrance 2 (across from the Hess Station) and Entrance 5 (across from Typhoon Lagoon).
- VIDEO: Villains Unleashed Opening Ceremony - Villains Unleashed kicked off at Disney's Hollywood Studios with an opening ceremony hosted by Hades, Pain, Panic and Megara from Hercules. Once the stars of the night took the stage they introduced some of the 50 Disney Villains guests could meet at the special hard ticket event.
- VIDEO: Villains Unleashed Event Overview - Over 50 Disney villains took over Disney's Hollywood Studios for the Villains Unleashed Event.
- Times updated for events at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - The Party is a specially ticketed event at the Magic Kingdom that begins September 1.
- Villains' Sinister Soiree add-on available for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - This special add-on will give guests preferred viewing for Mickey's Boo to You Halloween Parade (8:15pm) and the Happy HalloWishes fireworks show. Lady Tremaine will host a dessert soiree at Cinderella's Royal Table Restaurant for you and some of her friends.
- 5 Elements from the Disney Parks that You'll Find on a Disney Cruise Ship - You have been to the Disney Parks, and you love them. You keep going back for that pixie-dust rush. You can’t imagine a vacation apart from Disney Parks, yet somehow the “old and familiar” is getting a bit old and familiar. This is where the Disney Cruise Line enters. It’s a Disney vacation of a different variety. The dissimilarities are a bit obvious. You’re on a ship in the ocean, visiting foreign places. This is nothing like being landlocked in a park, surrounded by coasters and kiosks. So what can you expect from the Disney Parks to carry over to your cruise?
- Blog - "Villains Unleashed" needs leashing up - Disney's overcrowded hard ticket event leaves guests in long lines most of the night
- Mickey's PhilharMagic refurb extended - The end date has been moved from September 19 to the 28th. The attraction will go down September 8.
- Enchanted Tiki Room going down for refurb in late September - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed from 9/27 - 10/3/2014.
- Two Epcot New Year's Eve dining events released - More New Year's Eve events are yet to be released.
- Blog - Beyond Aulani
- Updated operating schedule for monorails - The monorail will have a different operating schedule than normal as an automation upgrade takes place.
- Charging stations for electric vehicles added to Epcot parking lot - Disney has added four Level 2 ChargePoint charging stations to the Journey parking lot at Epcot. Electric vehicles will be charged $.35 per kw/h, with a minimum charge of $1.50.
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party tickets sold out on 10/31/14 - Tickets are still available for all other dates.
- New Move it! Shake it! Dance and Play it! Street Party to debut at Magic Kingdom this fall - Stitch and Phineas & Ferb will join the party and Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Goofy will ride on top of giant gift boxes. The soundtrack will feature remixed classic party songs and guests will vote for one of three current hits to be played.
- VIDEO: What's New at Aulani - Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa has many new offerings. Quick service at Ulu Cafe, kids splash zone at Keiki Cove, two new pools, and much more.
- MagicBands can now be purchased without ticket media - The bands are now available for purchase across property.
- Changes to boat schedules at Downtown Disney - Schedules have been changing recently due to construction.
- Blog - The Good and Bad of the "Muppets Most Wanted" Blu-ray
- Ultimate Day VIP Tour available at Epcot Food & Wine Festival - This daylong tour begins at the Festival Center's VIP Lounge and includes champagne, a beverage tasting, six-course tapas-style lunch, wine, private backstage tours, time on Epcot attractions, food and beverage pairings with Disney chefs, VIP seating at the Eat to the Beat Concert Series, and reserved seating for IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth fireworks spectacular.
- Blog - New Golden Oak Outpost Menu is Waffle Fry Heaven
- Sunrise Safari at Animal Kingdom ending 12/28/14 - This tour is exclusive to Animal Kingdom Lodge Kilimanjaro Club Level guests.
- American Idol Experience to close August 30 - No plans have been announced for the space.
- Florida residents save $40 on Cirque du Soleil tickets - Through September and October, Florida residents will save $40 on adult Cirque du Soleil tickets purchased at the box office.
- VIDEO: The Refurbished Capt. Cook's at Polynesian Resort - After a long refurbishment, Capt. Cook's has reopened at the Polynesian Village Resort. Major changes include artwork in the seating area, a new menu, no more ordering off of touch screens and the tragic loss of the Dole Whip self-serve machine.
- American Film Institute at the end of Backlot Tour to close - As of August 17, the American Film Institute Showcase exhibit at the end of the ride will be closed. This exhibit features props and costumes from various films. The gift shop will also close.
- D23 Expo 2015 tickets are now on sale - Tickets for next year's D23 Expo are now on sale. The D23 Expo will be held August 14-16, 2015 at the Anaheim Convention Center.
- Blog - Polynesian Resort's Capt. Cook's quick service restaurant reopens after refurbishment
- Golden Oak Outpost now serving specialty waffle fries - This walk-up stand is located on the backside of Frontierland on the walkway to Adventureland.
- Tower of Terror On-ride videos available with Memory Maker - After riding The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, a video of the guest's ride will be added to their My Disney Experience account. This video is only available to guests who have purchased Memory Maker.
- Win a 2 Night / 3 Day stay at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin! - Answer 3 questions about the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin on our contest page for a chance to WIN!
- Great Irish Hooley Festival to be held at Downtown Disney - "Hooley" is Irish slang for party or celebration. Celebrate with food, drink and dancing.
- Update coming to My Disney Experience - make dining reservations 20 minutes in advance - A new update will allow guests to make same day dining reservations only 20 minutes in advance.
- Performance times updated for Night of Joy - Disney’s Night of Joy is a hard-ticket event at the Magic Kingdom that features contemporary Christian performers.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Polynesian Resort Lobby - Lobby Waterfall - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at the Polynesian Resort.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Continues to Materialize
- Refurb scheduled this winter for the Haunted Mansion - The attraction will be closed from 12/1 - 12/19/14.
- It's Tough to be a Bug refurb extended until 9/27 - This attraction was originally scheduled to reopen August 11, but will instead stay closed through September 27.
- Yankee Trader shop refurb extended through December - The shop is becoming a Haunted Mansion gift shop.
- Polynesian Resort opens new Dole Whip location
- Popular EPCOT acts to depart this Fall
- Wet 'n Wild employee trapped in pool; now in critical condition
- Star Wars mobile game app released by Disney
- Disney contract approved by part-time employees
- Citation banning whale trainers from water will not be appealed by SeaWorld
- Disney cancels 2014 Festival of the Masters art show
- Radio Disney to shut down stations and lay off employees
- Disney proposes new contract for part-time employees
- SeaWorld announces new habitats for killer whales