Restaurant Marrakesh Review
Review by Kevin Klose
I should begin this review by letting you know that I am not an expert on Moroccan food. I have almost no experience with this type of cuisine other than having had couscous on occasion. With that being said, we decided to have lunch at Restaurant Marrakesh.
Upon entering the Morocco pavilion at Epcot, it is easy be transported to another place.
It’s an immersive experience and as there are no sight lines of Spaceship Earth or the Cast Members setting up Illuminations, it’s easy to forget where you are.
We had no trouble getting a “same day” ADR for Restaurant Marrakesh and arrived approximately 25 minutes prior to our allotted time. The hostess let us know that this would not be an issue, but we would have a 5 minute wait..
As the temperature outside was roughly the same temperature used to bake bread, this allowed us a chance to freshen up and cool down.
The restaurant is a large open space with sections on each side involving a few stairs. The tile work is wonderful and gives the space a cool feeling. Not cool as in “Fonzie” cool, but more of temperature cool.
We were greeted immediately with ice water and our menus. The server noted that he knew we would need drinks because of the weather outside. It was a simple act found in most restaurants, but the speed and acknowledgement was welcome.
As we looked over the menu, we realized that we really had no reference point other to make our selection based on ingredients. If I go to a deli, I know what to expect when I order a Reuben sandwich. I was out of my element here.
To start our dining adventure, we decided to try the Appetizer Combination for Two ($15.95). This included two beef brewat rolls, one chicken bastilla and jasmine salad.
Beef brewat rolls look like small egg rolls and are thin layers of pastry filled with minced beef and then fried and sprinkled with cinnamon and powdered sugar.
The chicken bastilla is a similar dish with a different shape. Where the beef dish was egg roll shaped, the chicken dish was shaped like a hockey puck. You receive one chicken bastilla with this appetizer, but it is cut in half so as to share.
I didn’t care for the beef and John didn’t care for the chicken. This was just personal taste and not a judgment of quality.
The only description I can come up with is “chicken or beef donut”. As I stated earlier, I have little experience with Moroccan food, but cinnamon and powdered sugar are tastes that I associate with breakfast and dessert. It was an unusual taste combination, mixing savory and sweet. It didn’t taste bad, nor was it badly prepared, but it’s not a taste I would return to with any regularity.
The jasmine salad was cool and refreshing and consisted of mixed salad veggies. The dressing reminded us of ranch dressing with a touch of mint. You receive a very small portion.
We enjoyed trying our appetizer, but at $16.00, it’s wildly over priced. With two of the beef rolls (about 2.5 inches) , one of the chicken bastilla (cut in half) and approximately ½ a cup of salad, it is stretching it to call this an appetizer for two.
We also tried the Harira Soup ($5.95) which is a tomato based soup with lentils and lamb. It was rich, flavorful and delicious.
On to the entrees…
John ordered the “Taste of Morocco” ($27.95)
and I ordered the “Sultans Feast” ($21.95).
Both dishes included a grilled chicken skewer, Vegetable couscous, and another beef brewat roll. John’s dish also included a small lamb shank.
The grilled chicken skewers consisted of approximately 6 small bite sized pieces of chicken (approximately 2-3 ounces) and were marinated and grilled.
The couscous included chick peas, a cabbage leaf, a small slice of green pepper, onions and apparently 3 other veggies I couldn’t identify. Again, I would guess that we received 2 tablespoons of couscous.
John’s lamb shank was pronounced “tasty” and it was gone at the end of the meal. I can assume that he liked it. Not being a lamb fan…I’ll take his word for it.
My only real complaint about this meal was that the serving sizes were tiny. I would compare them to the portions served at the Food and Wine Festival. My issue with this is that the Food and Wine portions are between $2 and $4 each. If I total that up….my meal would have cost approximately $8 - $10 dollars instead of the $21.95.
Now….I do need to add that there is entertainment while you eat. Every 40 minutes or so, two musicians play Moroccan music which accompanies a belly dancer. It was interesting to watch and listen for a few minutes but it became wonderful when the dancer asked the young girls in the audience to dance with her. She gave the girls a brief lesson and they all danced. It was fun to see.
After our entrees, we had dessert. John’s was included in the price of his entrée and his only choice was fresh fruit, I chose something exotically named “The Moroccan Symphony” ($5.95). This is a selection of Moroccan pastries.
My symphony included a one inch square of baklava (or the Moroccan equivalent), something I can only describe as a small damp cookie and half of a small circular pastry containing chocolate. The last had obviously been cut in half.
John’s fresh fruit was another story. It was a small bowl of fruit salad which, after tasting, he described as “fruit topped with Raid bug killer.” The fruit had an awful liquid topping that had a chemical / perfume odor. It was dreadful.
The service at Restaurant Marrakesh was fast, efficient and top notch.
The food was an experience I’m glad I’ve had but it’s not something I’d really enjoy again. And the prices and servings sizes do not match up at all. In fact, after lunch, we went and got something else to eat.
Lunch for two was $75.00 which included everything listed and a soft drink.
- How to make the most of your Walt Disney World vacation - Now that your trip is booked, it's time to start the day-to-day planning so you can make the most out of your time at Walt Disney World!
- Cirque du Soleil dining package available - Purchase a ticket to the 6:00 performance of La Nouba and take advantage of this special package, which includes an entree, dessert and non-alcoholic beverage. The dinner package option is available at Wolfgang Puck Grand Cafe, Planet Hollywood and Splitsville Luxury Lanes.
- Rehab planned for Splash Mountain - The ride will be closed 1/4/2015 - 1/30/2015.
- "Disney's Behind the Magic of Our Steam Trains" tour will be closed this fall - This Magic Kingdom tour will be closed 9/29-11/7/14.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Sweet Spells - Sunset Boulevard - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Sweet Spells - Sunset Boulevard
- Carousel of Progress closes today for week-long rehab - The attraction will reopen on the 28th.
- A Guide to Drinking Around Epcot's World Showcase at Walt Disney World - One of the most popular things to do at Epcot’s World Showcase, you know aside from all that pesky learning and culture, is what’s called Drinking Around The World.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe - Sonny Eclipse - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe - Sonny Eclipse
- Festival of the Lion King celebrates 1 millionth guest in new theater - 1 million guests have attended the show since it opened in its new theater in June.
- Blog - Epcot's International Food & Wine Festival FAQ
- Prices for Epcot International Food & Wine Festival Marketplaces - This year's Festival runs from September 19 - November 10, 2014.
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train onboard videos and photos available with Memory Maker - After riding the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, a video and photos of the guest's ride will be added to their My Disney Experience account. These photos/video are only available to guests who have purchased Memory Maker.
- Planet Hollywood's outside merchandise location has closed - This is due to construction. Merchandise is still available inside the restaurant or at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
- Blog - Handbag Round Up: Dooney & Bourke, Vera Bradley, & LeSportsac
- Top 4 Best Thrill Rides At Walt Disney World According to You - The list below is the “final four” of a series of polls tournament bracket style from the DIS Unplugged Facebook page.
- VIDEO: Drinks Around The World Epcot - Corey, Shaun and Craig finish the Drinks Around The World series with the ultimate challenge – drinking around Epcot’s World Showcase!
- Blog - Looking for something to do before your cruise? Visit the Exploration Tower at Port Canaveral
- Chase Lounge will return to the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival - This lounge offers Chase cardholders a place to relax, enjoy complimentary beverages and charging stations for their electronics.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon registration re-opened - Runners can now have the chance to sign up for the 1/2 Marathon, the full Marathon and/or the Goofy Challenge as part of the Goofy Giveback.
- A Simple Guide to Planning Your First Walt Disney World Vacation - Planning a trip to Walt Disney World and don't know where to start? I've simplified the process by suggesting some decisions that need to be made before others.
- Blog - What to Expect at Disney's D23 Destination D Event this November
- New version of My Disney Experience app is available - Users can now check meet and greet wait times and view updated park maps. The method for linking park tickets and passes has also been improved.
- New Disney Vera Bradley pattern to be released September 19 - Disney Dreaming, the newest addition to the Disney Collection by Vera Bradley, will debut at Cherry Tree Lane in Downtown Disney's Marketplace Co-Op on September 19.
- Blog - Apple Pay is coming to the Walt Disney World Resort - What does it mean for the average Disney guest?
- Blog - Disney Opposes "Inflammatory" Amended Complaint in DAS Lawsuit
- Disney Cast Members - What is the one "tip" you can give us? - Don't have time to read a 89-page thread on the DISboards? We've summed up the highlights for you so you can find out cast members' best tips for guests!
- Blog - The Good and Bad of "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" on Blu-ray
- L'Artisan des Glaces in France Pavilion introduces Pumpkin Spice ice cream - Pumpkin spice ice cream and pumpkin spice macaron ice cream sandwiches are now available for the fall season.
- Food & Wine Festival's Late Nights LIVE! now only available on Thursdays - The new event at Epcot's International Food & Wine Festival was originally scheduled to be held every Tuesday and Thursday during the Festival, but will now just take place on Thursdays.
- Last day for Maelstrom will be October 5 - The new Frozen attraction is expected to open in early 2016.
- Ticket discounts available for Cirque du Soleil La Nouba - Discounted tickets must be purchased by 9/22/14.
- Blog - A Walking Tour of Disney's Polynesian Village Resort at Walt Disney World - Construction Update
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Crescent Lake Bridge - Crescent Lake - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Crescent Lake Bridge - Crescent Lake
- 5 Tips for Taking Better Photos at Walt Disney World - It’s a given fact that when you go on a Disney vacation you are going to take a ton of photos throughout your trip. Use these tips to make those photos the best they can be.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - New Fantasyland - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at New Fantasyland - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- 4 Ways to Make Magic for Other Guests at Walt Disney World - While visiting a Disney theme park, the Cast Members on the clock are tasked with doing their best to ‘make magic’ for as many Guests as possible. But, if you’re anything like my family, seeing others enjoy their time at a Disney park is sometimes just as satisfying as enjoying the parks yourselves.
- Crane now in place behind Cinderella Castle - The crane is now in place behind Cinderella Castle to install the Castle Dream Lights for the holiday season. The anticipated date for the crane removal is September 21.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Splash Mountain Bridge - Splash Mountain - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Splash Mountain Bridge - Splash Mountain
- Top 5 Hidden Gems at Disney's Animal Kingdom - Disney’s Animal Kingdom is crawling with hidden details and overlooked attractions that most people would just walk right past. But there is so much more if you are willing to take a few moments to stop and really look at your surroundings.
- Ride the Comix! closes at DisneyQuest - This attraction is now closed and will allow for an expansion of the FoodQuest seating area.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Japan Gallery - Spirited Beasts - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Japan Gallery - Spirited Beasts
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Club Cool - Fountain of Nations - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Club Cool - Fountain of Nations
- Disney Legend Tony Baxter added to D23 Destination D lineup - Baxter will present a panel featuring an in-depth tour of an expansion for Disneyland that never materialized.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Epcot Entrance - Leave A Legacy - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Epcot Entrance - Leave A Legacy
- Blog - Frustrated At Walt Disney World? "LET IT GO"
- Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue at Walt Disney World's Fort Wilderness Resort celebrates its 40th anniversary - The Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue marks its 40th anniversary after more than 37,000 dinner show performances at Disney's Fort Wilderness campground.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Capt. Cook's - Capt. Cook's Seating Area - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Capt. Cook's - Capt. Cook's Seating Area
- Night of Joy completely sold out at Magic Kingdom - This hard-ticket event features contemporary Christian artists in concert for two nights. This year's event is completely sold out.
- Harmony Barber Shop will close for a month for refurb - The Magic Kingdom shop will be closed from 2/2/15 - 3/30/15.
- Frozen Sing-Along added to FastPass+ choices at Hollywood Studios - This is a Tier 2 FastPass+ choice.
- Time change for internal boat service at Downtown Disney - The red route previously closed at 11:30pm. It will now run until 2:00am.
- VIDEO: 2014 Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party Overview - Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party is the yearly event that brings the spookiest holiday of them all to Magic Kingdom. This hard-ticket party allows guests to dress up in costumes, trick-or-treat throughout the park, and meet some characters in their costumes.
- Neil Patrick Harris, Isabella Rossellini and Blair Underwood added as Candlelight Processional narrators - There are still a few narrators left to be announced.
- VIDEO: Cruising Around Hawaii - Explore the Hawaiian islands of Maui, Hawai'i, and Kauai while sailing onboard Norwegians Cruise Line's Pride of America.
- VIDEO: Driving Around Oahu - Explore the island of Oahu by driving around to different unique locations. Ted's Bakery, Haleiwa, Matsumoto's Shave Ice, and many others make Oahu a great place to find local treasures.
- Blog - Back to School Disney Style: Great Merchandise Finds in the Parks
- Pricing structure changed for Valet Parking at Downtown Disney - Pricing is based on length of stay - time starts when you reach the valet podium and stops when you return to the podium to pick up your car.
- Blog - Top 5 Must Do's at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party
- Pangani Research Center closes for refurb - Pangani Research Center- Aviary and Hippo viewing area will be closed 9/2 - 11/14/2014.
- Blog - Villains Soiree - Wickedly Disappointing
- Blog - Dole Whips are back at the Polynesian Village Resort at the new and disappointing Pineapple Lanai
- Shortened monorail operating hours now in place - The monorail will have a different operating schedule than normal as an automation upgrade takes place.
- Blog - The Good and Bad of "Toy Story of TERROR!" on Blu-ray
- American Idol Experience is now closed at Disney's Hollywood Studios - This attraction closed August 30, 2014. No definitive plans have been announced for this space.
- VIDEO: Oogie Boogie's Freaky Funhouse Show at Villains Unleashed - Oogie Boogie's Freaky Funhouse Show at Villains Unleashed brings Vegas to Walt Disney World. Villains Unleashed took over Disney's Hollywood Studios on August 23, 2014 and part of the hard ticket event was Oogie Boogie's Freak Funhouse Show. Oogie Boogie hosts the show that features a sword-swallowing act, daredevil archery and a finale full of fire!
- Refurb closures planned for Walt Disney World water parks - Typhoon Lagoon will be closed 10/26/14-1/3/15 and Blizzard Beach will be closed 1/4/15-3/14/15.
- Top 5 Signature Dining Experiences at the Walt Disney World Resorts - 1,600 listeners and viewers of our DIS Unplugged web-cast voted on their favorite signature restaurants at the Walt Disney World resort hotels.
- Blog - The Top 5 Underutilized Spaces at Walt Disney World
- Starbucks will open at Hollywood Studios in February 2015 - The Trolley Car Cafe will be located along Hollywood Boulevard and be themed like a trolley car station. Disney baked goods and Starbucks La Boulange pastry items will be available. An exact location hasn't been announced.
- VIDEO - Frozen Fireworks Multi-Angle Full Show - “Frozen” Fireworks Spectacular – Everything wraps up at 9:45 p.m. when Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, and Olaf come together at the Sorcerer’s Hat Icon Stage for a grand finale to the day’s festivities, kicking off an awe-inspiring fireworks display set to the glorious music of “Frozen!”
- VIDEO: Star-Lord & Gamora from 'Guardians of the Galaxy' at Villains Unleashed - Peter Quill, aka Star-Lord, and Gamora made their first appearance ever at the Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix Tape Vol. 1 Dance Party during the Villains Unleashed event at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
- Mikala Canoe Club Marina at Polynesian to be closed for refurb - The marina will be closed 9/15 - 9/19/2014. Sail boat/motorized boats and fishing excursions will not be available.
- Entrance 4 to Downtown Disney's parking lot now closed - Entrance 4 (between Cirque du Soleil and DisneyQuest) is now closed permanently. The only entrances are Entrance 2 (across from the Hess Station) and Entrance 5 (across from Typhoon Lagoon).
- VIDEO: Villains Unleashed Opening Ceremony - Villains Unleashed kicked off at Disney's Hollywood Studios with an opening ceremony hosted by Hades, Pain, Panic and Megara from Hercules. Once the stars of the night took the stage they introduced some of the 50 Disney Villains guests could meet at the special hard ticket event.
- VIDEO: Villains Unleashed Event Overview - Over 50 Disney villains took over Disney's Hollywood Studios for the Villains Unleashed Event.
- Times updated for events at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - The Party is a specially ticketed event at the Magic Kingdom that begins September 1.
- Villains' Sinister Soiree add-on available for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - This special add-on will give guests preferred viewing for Mickey's Boo to You Halloween Parade (8:15pm) and the Happy HalloWishes fireworks show. Lady Tremaine will host a dessert soiree at Cinderella's Royal Table Restaurant for you and some of her friends.
- 5 Elements from the Disney Parks that You'll Find on a Disney Cruise Ship - You have been to the Disney Parks, and you love them. You keep going back for that pixie-dust rush. You can’t imagine a vacation apart from Disney Parks, yet somehow the “old and familiar” is getting a bit old and familiar. This is where the Disney Cruise Line enters. It’s a Disney vacation of a different variety. The dissimilarities are a bit obvious. You’re on a ship in the ocean, visiting foreign places. This is nothing like being landlocked in a park, surrounded by coasters and kiosks. So what can you expect from the Disney Parks to carry over to your cruise?
- Blog - "Villains Unleashed" needs leashing up - Disney's overcrowded hard ticket event leaves guests in long lines most of the night
- Mickey's PhilharMagic refurb extended - The end date has been moved from September 19 to the 28th. The attraction will go down September 8.
- Enchanted Tiki Room going down for refurb in late September - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed from 9/27 - 10/3/2014.
- Aulani honored by Fodor's Travel
- Studio Backlot Tour at Disney's Hollywood Studios closing September 27
- New drawbridge for Sleeping Beauty Castle
- Plot details released for Avengers: Age of Ultron
- Protesters demonstrate outside SeaWorld Orlando
- Confirmed: Maelstrom to be replaced by FROZEN attraction
- SeaWorld, Universal and Epcot honored by Amusement Today
- Apple Pay to work at Walt Disney World
- Luxury villa community to be built near Orlando theme parks
- Fifth resort to open at Universal Orlando in Summer 2016