Restaurant Marrakesh Review
Review by Kevin Klose
I should begin this review by letting you know that I am not an expert on Moroccan food. I have almost no experience with this type of cuisine other than having had couscous on occasion. With that being said, we decided to have lunch at Restaurant Marrakesh.
Upon entering the Morocco pavilion at Epcot, it is easy be transported to another place.
It’s an immersive experience and as there are no sight lines of Spaceship Earth or the Cast Members setting up Illuminations, it’s easy to forget where you are.
We had no trouble getting a “same day” ADR for Restaurant Marrakesh and arrived approximately 25 minutes prior to our allotted time. The hostess let us know that this would not be an issue, but we would have a 5 minute wait..
As the temperature outside was roughly the same temperature used to bake bread, this allowed us a chance to freshen up and cool down.
The restaurant is a large open space with sections on each side involving a few stairs. The tile work is wonderful and gives the space a cool feeling. Not cool as in “Fonzie” cool, but more of temperature cool.
We were greeted immediately with ice water and our menus. The server noted that he knew we would need drinks because of the weather outside. It was a simple act found in most restaurants, but the speed and acknowledgement was welcome.
As we looked over the menu, we realized that we really had no reference point other to make our selection based on ingredients. If I go to a deli, I know what to expect when I order a Reuben sandwich. I was out of my element here.
To start our dining adventure, we decided to try the Appetizer Combination for Two ($15.95). This included two beef brewat rolls, one chicken bastilla and jasmine salad.
Beef brewat rolls look like small egg rolls and are thin layers of pastry filled with minced beef and then fried and sprinkled with cinnamon and powdered sugar.
The chicken bastilla is a similar dish with a different shape. Where the beef dish was egg roll shaped, the chicken dish was shaped like a hockey puck. You receive one chicken bastilla with this appetizer, but it is cut in half so as to share.
I didn’t care for the beef and John didn’t care for the chicken. This was just personal taste and not a judgment of quality.
The only description I can come up with is “chicken or beef donut”. As I stated earlier, I have little experience with Moroccan food, but cinnamon and powdered sugar are tastes that I associate with breakfast and dessert. It was an unusual taste combination, mixing savory and sweet. It didn’t taste bad, nor was it badly prepared, but it’s not a taste I would return to with any regularity.
The jasmine salad was cool and refreshing and consisted of mixed salad veggies. The dressing reminded us of ranch dressing with a touch of mint. You receive a very small portion.
We enjoyed trying our appetizer, but at $16.00, it’s wildly over priced. With two of the beef rolls (about 2.5 inches) , one of the chicken bastilla (cut in half) and approximately ½ a cup of salad, it is stretching it to call this an appetizer for two.
We also tried the Harira Soup ($5.95) which is a tomato based soup with lentils and lamb. It was rich, flavorful and delicious.
On to the entrees…
John ordered the “Taste of Morocco” ($27.95)
and I ordered the “Sultans Feast” ($21.95).
Both dishes included a grilled chicken skewer, Vegetable couscous, and another beef brewat roll. John’s dish also included a small lamb shank.
The grilled chicken skewers consisted of approximately 6 small bite sized pieces of chicken (approximately 2-3 ounces) and were marinated and grilled.
The couscous included chick peas, a cabbage leaf, a small slice of green pepper, onions and apparently 3 other veggies I couldn’t identify. Again, I would guess that we received 2 tablespoons of couscous.
John’s lamb shank was pronounced “tasty” and it was gone at the end of the meal. I can assume that he liked it. Not being a lamb fan…I’ll take his word for it.
My only real complaint about this meal was that the serving sizes were tiny. I would compare them to the portions served at the Food and Wine Festival. My issue with this is that the Food and Wine portions are between $2 and $4 each. If I total that up….my meal would have cost approximately $8 - $10 dollars instead of the $21.95.
Now….I do need to add that there is entertainment while you eat. Every 40 minutes or so, two musicians play Moroccan music which accompanies a belly dancer. It was interesting to watch and listen for a few minutes but it became wonderful when the dancer asked the young girls in the audience to dance with her. She gave the girls a brief lesson and they all danced. It was fun to see.
After our entrees, we had dessert. John’s was included in the price of his entrée and his only choice was fresh fruit, I chose something exotically named “The Moroccan Symphony” ($5.95). This is a selection of Moroccan pastries.
My symphony included a one inch square of baklava (or the Moroccan equivalent), something I can only describe as a small damp cookie and half of a small circular pastry containing chocolate. The last had obviously been cut in half.
John’s fresh fruit was another story. It was a small bowl of fruit salad which, after tasting, he described as “fruit topped with Raid bug killer.” The fruit had an awful liquid topping that had a chemical / perfume odor. It was dreadful.
The service at Restaurant Marrakesh was fast, efficient and top notch.
The food was an experience I’m glad I’ve had but it’s not something I’d really enjoy again. And the prices and servings sizes do not match up at all. In fact, after lunch, we went and got something else to eat.
Lunch for two was $75.00 which included everything listed and a soft drink.
- Blizzard Beach to be closed November 1 due to cold temperatures - Typhoon Lagoon is also closed, but due to its annual rehab.
- Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Food & Wine Classic to be held this weekend - This event features wine and beer seminars, tasting stations and live music.
- Blog - Mickey's Halloween Party vs. Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
- How To Coach Someone Onto Thrill Rides - There is no fail-proof formula, but over the years I have found a few coaching techniques that I use with thrill-phobic personalities. With them I have coaxed quite a few of the most stubborn people in my life onto attractions they never imagined they would test.
- MagicBands will automatically add ride photos to your account - If guests are wearing an active MagicBand when they ride on select attractions, the photos will automatically be added to their My Disney Experience account.
- Blog - 'Move It! Shake It! Dance & Play It!' Street Party debuts at Magic Kingdom
- Top 5 Disney Bucket List Items - You know those things you always wanted to do but haven't had the time or money to do them?
- First night of Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party is sold out - Tickets are still available on the other nights.
- Planning a Disney Halloween Party in 10 Steps - A few ideas and 10 steps for planning a Disney Halloween party in your own neighborhood.
- A new flag waving act has opened in the Italy Pavilion - Sbandieratori Di Sansepolcro performs 12-minute shows several times daily.
- Walt Disney World's Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid plans month-long rehab - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed from 2/2/2015 - 3/6/2015.
- Island Supply store in Magic Kingdom's Adventureland closing - The shop will be closing 10/22/14 and will be replaced later this year.
- LeVar Burton and Edward James Olmos added to Candlelight Processional narrators - The Candlelight Processional takes place at Epcot from 11/28-12/30/14.
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party tickets sold out on 10/28/14 - Tickets are also sold out on the 30th and 31st.
- 4 Things I Loved About Being a Disney Cast Member - It's not just one of those jobs that you work at because it's close to your neighborhood. In general it takes a lot of desire and that certain something to become a great cast member.
- Blog - A Video Tribute to Maelstrom
- Wreck-It Ralph's last day at Hollywood Studios will be October 24 - Ralph and Vanellope will be replaced with Hiro and Baymax from Big Hero 6.
- Top 5 tips to make your trip through the airport go smoother - You read those stories all the time about people complaining about their travel experiences. I would like to share some tips to help make your next trip to Walt Disney World a pleasant experience.
- Reservations for Trattoria al Forno open October 21st - Reservations for Trattoria al Forno, the new restaurant coming to Disney's BoardWalk at Walt Disney World, open October 21st.
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party tickets sold out on 10/16/14 - Tickets for most other dates are still available.
- PhotoPass offers complimentary "Once Upon a Time" magical shot - For a limited time, you can get your photo taken in front of a "Once Upon A Time" background at Disney's Hollywood Studios, then when you visit MyDisneyPhotoPass.com to claim your photo, you'll find that Elsa and The Evil Queen have been magically added to your photo.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Maelstrom Unload - Maelstrom Boat Exit - Maelstrom Unload - Maelstrom Boat Exit September 15, 2014 - Afternoon
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Maelstrom Unload - Maelstrom Fishing Village - Maelstrom Unload - Maelstrom Fishing Village September 15, 2014 - Afternoon
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Maelstrom Unload - Maelstrom Final Scene - Maelstrom Unload - Maelstrom Final Scene September 15, 2014 - Afternoon
- runDisney announces race dates for 2015/2016 - Notably missing from the list is the Tower of Terror 10 Miler. This could be due to possible upcoming construction at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
- Blog - Book Review: Walt Disney: Drawn from Imagination
- New bus route being tested for Magic Kingdom resorts - The bus will run between the Contemporary Resort, Grand Floridian Resort, the Polynesian and Typhoon Lagoon. This will fix the problem of all Typhoon Lagoon guests having to transfer at Epcot after 2:00pm.
- One-day Memory Maker add-on available for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - For $39, you will receive all your Disney PhotoPass photos taken on the day of the event, including character meet and greets, dining and attraction photos from your time in the parks before the Party.
- Blog - Spooky Halloween Merchandise in Walt Disney World
- VIDEO: Maelstrom POV & Queue Tribute - Take a walk through the queue and ride through Maelstrom at the Norway Pavilion in Epcot. Maelstrom closed on October 5th to become a Frozen attraction.
- Cruising With Special Dietary Needs Onboard the Disney Cruise Line - Living with a dietary restriction can feel like prison. Challenged families often find themselves excluded from activities when food is involved. When they are included, the difficulty to accommodate the condition may not seem worth the effort. I know. I’ve walked in these shoes...
- Hess gas station near Boardwalk to be closed for 2 weeks - Many Disney resort guests stop here to get food and beverages for their hotel rooms.
- Get 4th night free or save 30% at Aulani, plus get free breakfast - Stay 4 nights and get the 4th free, plus complimentary breakfast. Stay longer and get 30% off stays of 5 nights or longer, plus complimentary breakfast. Offer is valid for stays most nights 1/4/15 - 3/23/15.
- Animal Kingdom's Affection Section closed through 11/10/14 - This is located in Rafiki's Planet Watch.
- Save up to 30% with a Room Only offer at select Walt Disney World resorts - Guests can take advantage of a room-only offer at select Disney resorts 1/5/15 - 3/28/15.
- Play, Stay & Dine offer released for General Public - save up to $800! - Book a discounted package with tickets, dining and hotel accommodations for stays most nights from 12/14/14-12/20/14 and 1/5/15 - 3/7/15.
- Photos of Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend medals - The Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend will be held January 7-11, 2015.
- Blog - Theme Parks Increase Intellectual Property Lineup
- Top 4 Best Live Action Stage Shows At Walt Disney World According to You - This top 4 list is comprised of the attractions you at home have chosen as the best live action stage shows at Walt Disney World.
- Blog - A Walking Tour of Disney's Wilderness Lodge
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party tickets sold out on 10/9/14 - Other sold out dates are October 30 and 31.
- Haunted Mansion gift shop, Memento Mori, now open - The decor is inspired by Madame Leota and the shop carries items from the Haunted Mansion Authentic program, such as apparel, home goods, souvenirs and more.
- Disney Visa Stay, Play & Dine offer - Visa cardholders can book a discounted package with tickets, dining and hotel accommodations for stays most nights from 12/14/14-12/20/14 and 1/5/15 - 3/7/15.
- Disney Visa cardholders can save up to 30% on a room only reservation - Disney Visa cardholders can take advantage of a room-only offer at select Disney resorts 1/5/15 - 3/28/15.
- 3 Aspects of a Disney Vacation That Your Child Can Control - How can you make your child feel like they have some control of the day-to-day plans? We’re going to take a look at 3 ways to help your child “take charge” of your vacation once you’ve hit the parks.
- Name for new Haunted Mansion gift shop is "Memento Mori" - The shop is in soft opening and is expected to open fully next week.
- Another date sold out for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - Tickets are now sold out on October 30 and 31.
- A Frozen Holiday Wish show to replace Cinderella's Holiday Wish at Magic Kingdom - Anna and Elsa can be seen in the show in front of the castle. Queen Elsa's ice powers will transform Cinderella Castle into an ice palace.
- Jonathan Groff and Joe Morton will narrate Epcot Candlelight Processional this year - Jonathan Groff was the voice of Kristoff in "Frozen"; Joe Morton is on the TV show "Scandal."
- Flying Fish Cafe to offer breakfast this fall - This is intended to fill the gap between Kouzzina's closing and the opening of the new Italian restaurant, Trattoria al Forno, in December.
- Disney Facts and Insider Stories - Disney Facts and Insider Stories from a thread on DISboards.com titled "Your best Disney fact or insider story..."
- Frozen Holiday Premium Package announced for Osborne Lights - Get reserved viewing for the For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration; reserved viewing location for the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights with specialty alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, Frozen-themed desserts, holiday lithograph and Frozen pin.
- Blog - Navigating Walt Disney World on Wheels
- October Merchandise Events and Signings at Walt Disney World - List of artist signings and appearances around the Walt Disney World Resort.
- Kids in Control - 3 ways to let the kids take charge of planning your Disney vacation - We’ve been to Walt Disney World many times as a family, so sometimes it’s neat to put those itineraries aside, switch things up and put the kids in control of our plans!
- Blog - How did you become a Disney fan?
- Kouzzina by Cat Cora closes at the Boardwalk today - A new restaurant concept will open in its place this fall.
- VIDEO: Epcot International Food & Wine Festival 2014 Overview - Join the DIS Unplugged team as they stroll around World Showcase enjoying food from the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival!
- Dates for Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights at Hollywood Studios - Approximately every 10 minutes, the lights "dance" to holiday music, while "Florida snow" falls in the background, making this the perfect Christmas setting.
- Canadian Lumberjack Show to replace Off Kilter at Epcot - They will perform year round and will begin the week of October 5.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Hollywood Boulevard - Crossroads of the World - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Hollywood Boulevard - Crossroads of the World
- Mistakes People Make on their Disney World Vacation - Knowing that DISboards.com is loaded with tons of Disney information, I've decided to start condensing popular threads by quoting the informative posts into a single page.
- Top 4 Best Continuously Loading Rides At Walt Disney World According to You - Those of you who watch The DIS Unplugged know all about the "Best Of" bracket shows. In this particular show, the DIS Unplugged team comes up with their own tournament style bracket to decide the best continuously loading rides at Walt Disney World.
- Blog - A Walking Tour of Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
- Monorail schedule to be adjusted again after September 27 - The monorail will have a different operating schedule than normal as an automation upgrade takes place.
- How to make the most of your Walt Disney World vacation - Now that your trip is booked, it's time to start the day-to-day planning so you can make the most out of your time at Walt Disney World!
- Cirque du Soleil dining package available - Purchase a ticket to the 6:00 performance of La Nouba and take advantage of this special package, which includes an entree, dessert and non-alcoholic beverage. The dinner package option is available at Wolfgang Puck Grand Cafe, Planet Hollywood and Splitsville Luxury Lanes.
- Rehab planned for Splash Mountain - The ride will be closed 1/4/2015 - 1/30/2015.
- "Disney's Behind the Magic of Our Steam Trains" tour will be closed this fall - This Magic Kingdom tour will be closed 9/29-11/7/14.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Sweet Spells - Sunset Boulevard - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Sweet Spells - Sunset Boulevard
- A Guide to Drinking Around Epcot's World Showcase at Walt Disney World - One of the most popular things to do at Epcot’s World Showcase, you know aside from all that pesky learning and culture, is what’s called Drinking Around The World.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe - Sonny Eclipse - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe - Sonny Eclipse
- Festival of the Lion King celebrates 1 millionth guest in new theater - 1 million guests have attended the show since it opened in its new theater in June.
- Blog - Epcot's International Food & Wine Festival FAQ
- Prices for Epcot International Food & Wine Festival Marketplaces - This year's Festival runs from September 19 - November 10, 2014.
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train onboard videos and photos available with Memory Maker - After riding the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, a video and photos of the guest's ride will be added to their My Disney Experience account. These photos/video are only available to guests who have purchased Memory Maker.
- Planet Hollywood's outside merchandise location has closed - This is due to construction. Merchandise is still available inside the restaurant or at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
- Blog - Handbag Round Up: Dooney & Bourke, Vera Bradley, & LeSportsac
- Top 4 Best Thrill Rides At Walt Disney World According to You - The list below is the “final four” of a series of polls tournament bracket style from the DIS Unplugged Facebook page.
- VIDEO: Drinks Around The World Epcot - Corey, Shaun and Craig finish the Drinks Around The World series with the ultimate challenge – drinking around Epcot’s World Showcase!
- Blog - Looking for something to do before your cruise? Visit the Exploration Tower at Port Canaveral
- Chase Lounge will return to the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival - This lounge offers Chase cardholders a place to relax, enjoy complimentary beverages and charging stations for their electronics.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon registration re-opened - Runners can now have the chance to sign up for the 1/2 Marathon, the full Marathon and/or the Goofy Challenge as part of the Goofy Giveback.
- A Simple Guide to Planning Your First Walt Disney World Vacation - Planning a trip to Walt Disney World and don't know where to start? I've simplified the process by suggesting some decisions that need to be made before others.
- Families in Disney's Disability Access lawsuit must file separately
- Sound Lion retail store coming to Disney Springs
- Downtown Disney parking garage to open November 20
- Adventures by Disney honored as Leading Tour Operator
- Marvel Studios releases details about upcoming projects
- Disney Cruise Line releases sail dates for early 2016
- Two new Disney Springs restaurants announced, including one from an Iron Chef
- Disney performers fired after refusing to wear "soiled" costumes
- Orbitz customers name Aulani "Best in Stay Elite"
- Rooms at Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Hotel to be redesigned