Sand Trap Bar and Grill
Review by Kevin Klose
Let’s begin this by admitting right up front that I’m not a golfer. I’m about as “not a golfer” as you can possibly be. I mean I understand the premise of the game. I can throw some of the terminology around. I can even pick Tiger Woods out of a crowd…..but that’s about it.
Haven’t got a bad word to say about the game. Never tried it. Doesn’t interest me. I have even gone on record as to admitting that I don’t even like miniature golf.
Ok….so with all of that out of the way….I’m guessing that you are wondering how I found myself having lunch in the Osprey Ridge Golf Club..
The truth is that I was told that this is a hidden gem. No crowds. No waiting, No ADRs. Just good food in a beautiful setting.
Upon hearing this, I’m thinking, this is too good to be true. A little known restaurant on Disney property and you don’t need an ADR? I have to see this for myself. So off we went…
The Osprey Ridge Golf Club is located adjacent to Fort Wilderness. Eagle Pines is there as well, but that’s under development with the new Four Seasons resort, but that’s another story for another day.
If you are coming from the direction of the Magic Kingdom area, Osprey Ridge Golf Club is just past Fort Wilderness on the same side of the road. It’s fairly easy to find as there are GIANT silver golf tees and a sign that says Osprey Ridge.
On your drive in, you travel a winding road through some lush, green Florida landscaping. It’s beautiful and tranquil and it’s hard to imagine that the Magic Kingdom is quite nearby. It’s easy to believe that you are out in the country.
At the end of the drive, you come to the parking lot and the Golf Club itself. It sits at the top of a small hill.
The building is pretty non-descript by Disney standards. You shouldn’t expect topiaries, or characters or any theming at all.
Upon entering, there is a small seating area, a pro shop selling pricey Disney golf attire and the Sand Trap Bar and Grill.
There is a small sign at the door that lists the name and lets you know that you should “Please seat yourself.” At this point, the Disney veterans reading this are probably thinking “huh”?
You enter a large room, with a bar running along one wall. There are televisions showing sporting events over the bar.
The opposite wall is floor to ceiling windows overlooking a lush golf course landscape with a lake and a fountain. There is a verandah just outside these windows running the length of the building. It’s furnished with white chairs, table and rockers. It’s a very appealing location.
We chose a table and waited. And waited. And waited.
Just as I was about to go look for someone, a man dressed in golf attire and a Disney name badge approached the table and asked “what’ll it be?” We asked if there were menus and he asked us why “no one gave you a menu?” We just sort of shrugged and he went off to find them. So far, the “Please seat yourself” thing doesn’t seem to be working.
Things smoothed out after that and we made our selections.
The menu is basic lunch / bar food. There are wings , salads, sandwiches, wraps…nothing surprising.
We tried the soup of the day (Cream of Tomato at $5.49 per cup). It was basic tomato soup with a heavy dose of garlic.
We also ordered the chicken wings (10 for $8.49). Again….they were basic serviceable chicken wings. Nothing out of the ordinary.
For our entrees, we tried the Rueben ($9.99) and the Barbecue Pork Sandwich ($10.49) Each came with fries.
It’s a bit difficult to come up with a way to review these items, as they were absolutely ordinary. I wouldn’t say they were good or bad. They were ordinary. This was ordinary, serviceable food that’s just a bit overpriced.
I think the reason that we had this feeling about the food and the location is that there is really nothing “Disney” about the experience. The service seems a bit of an afterthought. We got our order and it was accurate….but that’s it.
If the server wasn’t wearing a recognizable Disney nametag and there wasn’t a store selling overpriced Disney stuff across the lobby, you could be in Generic Hotel Restaurant in Anywhere, USA.
Please don’t misconstrue this as a negative review. It’s not.
If you want a $10 Rueben and fries and a $2.50 soft drink….that’s what you’ll get.
If you sit facing the window, you’ll get a pretty view of a golf course, lake and fountain.
If you need a $75 Disney golf shirt, there is a store ready, willing and able to sell you one.
The Sand Trap is also a free WiFi spot.
If you are looking for the “Disney” experience, you have come to the wrong place, unless, you are a die-hard Disney fan and need to see every square inch of Disney property. This is a bit off the beaten path, and if that’s your thing….go for it..
It’s my opinion that unless you are golfing or have virtually nothing else to do…..go do something else.
You are mere minutes away from some world class entertainment that you are probably paying big bucks to experience. Go do that. You can eat in a golf course restaurant at home.
- Rumor: Walt Disney World ticket prices to increase in February - Rumors are that ticket prices will go up in mid-February. The no-expiration option may be discontinued and a Water Park-Hopper add-on may be introduced.
- Blog - INTERVIEW – Billy Magnussen: The 'Other Prince' in Into The Wood
- Running the Parks Part 3 - Disney Running Resources - In this post I discuss some of the resources I have found to be most useful when doing research for a Disney running vacation.
- Take a baby to a Disney theme park? Are you nuts?
- Typhoon Lagoon closed 1/24-1/25 for cold temps - The highs are projected to be in the 60s.
- List of restaurants and retailers coming to The Landing at Disney Springs - The first phase of Disney Springs will open in Spring 2015.
- Annual Passholder mini golf discount drops to 15% - Previously the discount had been 50% off of miniature golf.
- Liberty Square Riverboat closes for 4 day refurb - This attraction will reopen 1/27/2015 and then be closed again 8/4/ - 8/10/2015.
- Blog - Disney's Hollywood Studios Construction Update
- Splitsville to feature live bands on Saturday nights - Every Saturday, 9:00pm-12:30am, a live band will take the stage in the Bullet Bar for a free concert.
- Kali River Rapids begins 2-week rehab - The Animal Kingdom attraction will be closed through February 2.
- Blog - Disney & Starbucks Bring New Mug Collection to Stores
- Polynesian DVC Resort can soon be booked by general public - Beginning February 11, these can be booked by the general public when they are not in use by DVC members. The bungalows will have limited availability.
- Downtown Disney internal boats will not stop at Pleasure Island - They will only run between the Marketplace and West Side.
- Blog - Disney asks Court to Dismiss "Absurd" Frozen Copyright Lawsuit
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Backlot Express - Star Tours - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Backlot Express - Star Tours
- Dates announced for 2015 Epcot Food and Wine Festival - The Festival will be held September 25-November 16, 2015.
- Epcot Flower Power Concerts renamed "Garden Rocks Concert Series" - The Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival will be held March 4-May 17.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Stormalong Bay - Crescent Lake - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Stormalong Bay - Crescent Lake January 5, 2014 - Afternoon
- Happy 40th birthday to Space Mountain! - Along with Carousel of Progress, this Magic Kingdom attraction opened on January 15, 1975.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Hollywood Boulevard - Sorcerer Mickey Hat - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Hollywood Boulevard - Sorcerer Mickey Hat
- Happy 40th birthday to the Carousel of Progress! - The Carousel of Progress opened on January 15, 1975 at the Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World.
- Blog - 1/14/15: Magic Kingdom Hub Construction Update
- 2015 Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Food & Wine Classic to be held October 30-31 - This is the 6th annual event for the resort.
- New FastPass+ parade and fireworks viewing areas for the Magic Kingdom - The parade can now be viewed from Town Square and the fireworks will soon be viewed from the new Main Street Plaza Gardens.
- Food Truck Takeover at Downtown Disney - The Superstar Catering Food Truck will be taken over by the Trattoria al Forno chefs to feature three of their most popular dishes.
- DVC Point Charts for Polynesian Villas & Bungalows - The first phase of the property will open April 1.
- Crane now in place behind Cinderella Castle through 2/21/15 - The crane will be taking down the lights used to decorate the castle for the holidays.
- Flame Tree Barbecue favorites moving to other locations during rehab - Flame Tree Barbecue will be closed for rehab through 3/31/15.
- Preview of Cinderella film and her coach coming to Hollywood Studios - Guests can experience an exclusive sneak peek of the new film Cinderella, plus see her golden coach parked outside the theater.
- Downtown Disney Cool Down Party for marathon racers - Runners can attend the Downtown Disney Cool Down Party from 2-8pm on January 11, 2015 and enjoy DJ dance parties, entertainment, special merchandise and discounts throughout Downtown Disney (show your finishers medal for discounts).
- 8:15pm Spirit of Aloha dinner show cancelled on 1/7 and 1/8 - The later show will be cancelled due to projected low temperatures.
- Typhoon Lagoon closed 1/7-1/9 for cold temps - The water park will be closed due to projected low temperatures.
- Blog - Sunglass Hut Opening in Magic Kingdom's Adventureland
- Modified monorail schedule for the upcoming week - The schedule has been modified due to the Walt Disney World Marathon.
- Magic Kingdom hours extended 1/6 and 1/7 - The park will remain open until 9:00pm instead of the originally scheduled 8:00pm.
- The Enchanted Tiki Room - The Magic Behind Walt Disney's Tropical Hideaway
- Wandering Oaken's Trading Post and Frozen Funland now closed - This was part of the Frozen Summer Fun event at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
- Ticket specials available for Cirque du Soleil - Discounted tickets are available for performances Tuesday through Saturday nights from 1/20/15 - 3/28/15.
- Florida residents can save up to 35% on a room only reservation - Discount is valid for stays most nights 1/3/15 - 3/28/15.
- Eating Around the World in Epcot - A brief tour of snacking in the World Showcase.
- Running the Parks Part 2: Touring the Parks While Running the Parks
- Frozen Holiday Wish to return from 1/3-1/12 - The show will take place at 6:30pm.
- New Animal Kingdom tour to replace Backstage Safari - The new tour, Backstage Tales, will go more in depth than the previous tour.
- Blog - 2015: Epcot Rings It In Right
- Top 5 DIS Unplugged Podcasts for 2014 - 2014 was a great year for the DIS Unplugged podcast - we celebrated our 8th anniversary, we produced more than 100 episodes of the show, as well as more than 200 supporting videos - but there were certain shows that really seemed to strike a chord with our audience.
- List of restaurants participating in the 2015 Disney Dining Plan updated - The Epcot and Downtown Disney restaurants have been finalized.
- Several rehabs planned for Magic Kingdom this spring - it's a small world, Jungle Cruise and Big Thunder Mountain will all be down for refurbishment.
- "Kid-sized" package offer available for Walt Disney World - Families of 3 will save when booking a package for stays select nights 4/12/15 - 5/28/15.
- Save up to 30% with a Room Only offer at select Walt Disney World resorts - Save up to 30% when you book by 2/16/15 for stays most nights 3/2-6/15/15. Save up to 25% when you book from 2/17-3/18/15 for stays most nights 3/2-6/15/15.
- January and February reservations now open for IllumiNations Sparkling Dessert Party - Enjoy a special fireworks viewing area and desserts from around World Showcase paired with sparkling wines.
- Blog - The Top 10 Ornaments for 2014 at Walt Disney World
- Test the Limits Lab at Innoventions closing 1/6/15 - The attraction's sponsorship has ended.
- Island Supply Sunglass Hut to open in Magic Kingdom on January 8 - Island Supply will be reopening on January 8 as the Island Supply Sunglass Hut, selling high-end sunglasses.
- Walt Disney World New Year's Eve information - The parks will have extended hours, plus holiday entertainment.
- Blog - Disney's Best Christmas Movies, TV Specials and Shorts - Part 3
- Atlanta Braves spring training schedule at ESPN Wide World of Sports - The Atlanta Braves return to ESPN Wide World of Sports for their annual spring training.
- January merchandise events and signings at Walt Disney World - List of artist appearances around Walt Disney World.
- Blog - Disney's Best Christmas Movies, TV Specials and Shorts - Part 2
- Free transportation deal offered at Aulani - Book a 4-night or longer stay at Aulani and receive free round-trip transportation from the airport, as well as a free 1-day mid-size Alamo car rental!
- Traveling With Kids Part 3 - Baggage - Packing to travel with kids can be a monumental task. This article will focus on Baggage - tips and hints for the packing process.
- A fond look back at Epcot's Lights of Winter - The Lights of Winter started for the Christmas season back in 1994 and the last display was in 2008.
- Blog - Polynesian Village Resort at Walt Disney World debuts new lobby
- Perfectly Prepared Princess Package available at Ivy Trellis Salon - From January 8, 2015 through March, young princesses can get a princess hairdo, glitter and tiara for $50 and add princess makeup for $25. For $90, choose hair, makeup and manicure.
- SeaWorld lays off Clyde & Seamore mimes, among others
- Man sentenced to 5 years for Disney ticket scam
- Club 33 members upset about more changes to benefits
- Iger says future Star Wars attractions to be based on new films
- SeaWorld's CEO steps down
- Man sues SeaWorld for automatically renewing his annual pass
- Retirement date set for Disney's Meg Crofton
- Woman sues Disney, claiming disability after falling from carousel horse
- Hotel leadership changes at Walt Disney World
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer released