Sand Trap Bar and Grill
Review by Kevin Klose
Let’s begin this by admitting right up front that I’m not a golfer. I’m about as “not a golfer” as you can possibly be. I mean I understand the premise of the game. I can throw some of the terminology around. I can even pick Tiger Woods out of a crowd…..but that’s about it.
Haven’t got a bad word to say about the game. Never tried it. Doesn’t interest me. I have even gone on record as to admitting that I don’t even like miniature golf.
Ok….so with all of that out of the way….I’m guessing that you are wondering how I found myself having lunch in the Osprey Ridge Golf Club..
The truth is that I was told that this is a hidden gem. No crowds. No waiting, No ADRs. Just good food in a beautiful setting.
Upon hearing this, I’m thinking, this is too good to be true. A little known restaurant on Disney property and you don’t need an ADR? I have to see this for myself. So off we went…
The Osprey Ridge Golf Club is located adjacent to Fort Wilderness. Eagle Pines is there as well, but that’s under development with the new Four Seasons resort, but that’s another story for another day.
If you are coming from the direction of the Magic Kingdom area, Osprey Ridge Golf Club is just past Fort Wilderness on the same side of the road. It’s fairly easy to find as there are GIANT silver golf tees and a sign that says Osprey Ridge.
On your drive in, you travel a winding road through some lush, green Florida landscaping. It’s beautiful and tranquil and it’s hard to imagine that the Magic Kingdom is quite nearby. It’s easy to believe that you are out in the country.
At the end of the drive, you come to the parking lot and the Golf Club itself. It sits at the top of a small hill.
The building is pretty non-descript by Disney standards. You shouldn’t expect topiaries, or characters or any theming at all.
Upon entering, there is a small seating area, a pro shop selling pricey Disney golf attire and the Sand Trap Bar and Grill.
There is a small sign at the door that lists the name and lets you know that you should “Please seat yourself.” At this point, the Disney veterans reading this are probably thinking “huh”?
You enter a large room, with a bar running along one wall. There are televisions showing sporting events over the bar.
The opposite wall is floor to ceiling windows overlooking a lush golf course landscape with a lake and a fountain. There is a verandah just outside these windows running the length of the building. It’s furnished with white chairs, table and rockers. It’s a very appealing location.
We chose a table and waited. And waited. And waited.
Just as I was about to go look for someone, a man dressed in golf attire and a Disney name badge approached the table and asked “what’ll it be?” We asked if there were menus and he asked us why “no one gave you a menu?” We just sort of shrugged and he went off to find them. So far, the “Please seat yourself” thing doesn’t seem to be working.
Things smoothed out after that and we made our selections.
The menu is basic lunch / bar food. There are wings , salads, sandwiches, wraps…nothing surprising.
We tried the soup of the day (Cream of Tomato at $5.49 per cup). It was basic tomato soup with a heavy dose of garlic.
We also ordered the chicken wings (10 for $8.49). Again….they were basic serviceable chicken wings. Nothing out of the ordinary.
For our entrees, we tried the Rueben ($9.99) and the Barbecue Pork Sandwich ($10.49) Each came with fries.
It’s a bit difficult to come up with a way to review these items, as they were absolutely ordinary. I wouldn’t say they were good or bad. They were ordinary. This was ordinary, serviceable food that’s just a bit overpriced.
I think the reason that we had this feeling about the food and the location is that there is really nothing “Disney” about the experience. The service seems a bit of an afterthought. We got our order and it was accurate….but that’s it.
If the server wasn’t wearing a recognizable Disney nametag and there wasn’t a store selling overpriced Disney stuff across the lobby, you could be in Generic Hotel Restaurant in Anywhere, USA.
Please don’t misconstrue this as a negative review. It’s not.
If you want a $10 Rueben and fries and a $2.50 soft drink….that’s what you’ll get.
If you sit facing the window, you’ll get a pretty view of a golf course, lake and fountain.
If you need a $75 Disney golf shirt, there is a store ready, willing and able to sell you one.
The Sand Trap is also a free WiFi spot.
If you are looking for the “Disney” experience, you have come to the wrong place, unless, you are a die-hard Disney fan and need to see every square inch of Disney property. This is a bit off the beaten path, and if that’s your thing….go for it..
It’s my opinion that unless you are golfing or have virtually nothing else to do…..go do something else.
You are mere minutes away from some world class entertainment that you are probably paying big bucks to experience. Go do that. You can eat in a golf course restaurant at home.
- Dates and seminars announced for Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Food & Wine Classic - 2014 will be the 5th year for this event that features wine and beer seminars, tasting stations and live music.
- VIDEO: 2014 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - One of the most welcome signs of spring is Epcot's annual International Flower & Garden Festival. While the grounds at Epcot are always beautiful, the Flower and Garden Festival takes them to the next level. At the festival you'll find gardens, topiaries, play areas, outdoor food kitchens, exhibits, music, and more.
- Blog - Disney's Festival of Fantasy Parade debuts at the Magic Kingdom!
- VIDEO - Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade - Festival of Fantasy is the brand new daily parade at the Magic Kingdom bringing the characters and stories of New Fantasyland to life! Brand new floats and costumes were produced for the parade featuring characters from Frozen, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Princess and the Frog, Brave, Dumbo, Pinocchio, The Little Mermaid, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, Tangled, Fantasia, Snow White and more!
- Photo Gallery of the Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade - The "Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade" celebrates New Fantasyland with new innovative floats, costumes and an all-new soundtrack that features songs from popular Disney films.
- VIDEO - Topiaries at Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - The Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival is better than before in 2014 and features some of the most beautiful and elaborate topiaries seen anywhere. New this year includes 'Spring is in the Air!' featuring Goofy, Donald and Daisy as you enter the park; Soccer Goofy and Donald; and Kermit the Frog & Miss Piggy inspired by "Muppets Most Wanted". Returning favorites include Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Buzz Lightyear, Lightning McQueen, Tow Mater, Phineas and Ferb, Tinker Bell, Bambi and Friends, Peter Pan and Captain Hook, Winnie the Pooh and Friends, Classic Disney Couples, Woody, Lady and the Tramp, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Lion King, Pandas, Troll and Fantasia!
- VIDEO - Outdoor Kitchens at Epcot Flower & Garden Festival - After the popular introduction in 2013, the outdoor kitchens are back at the 2014 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival serving up some of the finest and freshest food at Epcot in a similar fashion to the Food & Wine Festival. Outdoor kitchens include Pineapple Promenade, The Buttercup Cottage, Fleur de Lys, Taste of Marrakesh, Hanami, The Smokehouse: Barbecue and Brews, Primavera Kitchen, Florida Fresh, Lotus House, Jardin de Fiestas, and the new Urban Farm EATS!
- VIDEO - Festival Center at the Flower & Garden Festival - Video of the Festival Center at Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival 2014. The festival center is where you can find many of the seminars and presentations featured during the Festival.
- 2014 Flower & Garden Festival Photos - 2014 photo gallery of Epcot's International Flower & Garden Festival
- Inaugural Disney Fit Challenge to be held in September - Competitions will include tests of power, speed, balance, strength and endurance.
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.
- Rapids ride evacuated at Universal Orlando
- Leadership changes at Walt Disney World resorts and transportation
- Disney and unions extend contract
- Major staff cuts at Disney Interactive
- Blackfish director denies receiving confidential information
- Hank Wiliams Jr. and Alabama to perform at SeaWorld
- Universal Orlando parking garage closed for suspicious vehicle
- SeaWorld calls for investigation of OSHA inspector
- Preview of food items for Wizarding World of Harry Potter expansion
- Disney announces theme parks will stay open for 24-hour party