Sand Trap Bar and Grill
Review by Kevin Klose
Let’s begin this by admitting right up front that I’m not a golfer. I’m about as “not a golfer” as you can possibly be. I mean I understand the premise of the game. I can throw some of the terminology around. I can even pick Tiger Woods out of a crowd…..but that’s about it.
Haven’t got a bad word to say about the game. Never tried it. Doesn’t interest me. I have even gone on record as to admitting that I don’t even like miniature golf.
Ok….so with all of that out of the way….I’m guessing that you are wondering how I found myself having lunch in the Osprey Ridge Golf Club..
The truth is that I was told that this is a hidden gem. No crowds. No waiting, No ADRs. Just good food in a beautiful setting.
Upon hearing this, I’m thinking, this is too good to be true. A little known restaurant on Disney property and you don’t need an ADR? I have to see this for myself. So off we went…
The Osprey Ridge Golf Club is located adjacent to Fort Wilderness. Eagle Pines is there as well, but that’s under development with the new Four Seasons resort, but that’s another story for another day.
If you are coming from the direction of the Magic Kingdom area, Osprey Ridge Golf Club is just past Fort Wilderness on the same side of the road. It’s fairly easy to find as there are GIANT silver golf tees and a sign that says Osprey Ridge.
On your drive in, you travel a winding road through some lush, green Florida landscaping. It’s beautiful and tranquil and it’s hard to imagine that the Magic Kingdom is quite nearby. It’s easy to believe that you are out in the country.
At the end of the drive, you come to the parking lot and the Golf Club itself. It sits at the top of a small hill.
The building is pretty non-descript by Disney standards. You shouldn’t expect topiaries, or characters or any theming at all.
Upon entering, there is a small seating area, a pro shop selling pricey Disney golf attire and the Sand Trap Bar and Grill.
There is a small sign at the door that lists the name and lets you know that you should “Please seat yourself.” At this point, the Disney veterans reading this are probably thinking “huh”?
You enter a large room, with a bar running along one wall. There are televisions showing sporting events over the bar.
The opposite wall is floor to ceiling windows overlooking a lush golf course landscape with a lake and a fountain. There is a verandah just outside these windows running the length of the building. It’s furnished with white chairs, table and rockers. It’s a very appealing location.
We chose a table and waited. And waited. And waited.
Just as I was about to go look for someone, a man dressed in golf attire and a Disney name badge approached the table and asked “what’ll it be?” We asked if there were menus and he asked us why “no one gave you a menu?” We just sort of shrugged and he went off to find them. So far, the “Please seat yourself” thing doesn’t seem to be working.
Things smoothed out after that and we made our selections.
The menu is basic lunch / bar food. There are wings , salads, sandwiches, wraps…nothing surprising.
We tried the soup of the day (Cream of Tomato at $5.49 per cup). It was basic tomato soup with a heavy dose of garlic.
We also ordered the chicken wings (10 for $8.49). Again….they were basic serviceable chicken wings. Nothing out of the ordinary.
For our entrees, we tried the Rueben ($9.99) and the Barbecue Pork Sandwich ($10.49) Each came with fries.
It’s a bit difficult to come up with a way to review these items, as they were absolutely ordinary. I wouldn’t say they were good or bad. They were ordinary. This was ordinary, serviceable food that’s just a bit overpriced.
I think the reason that we had this feeling about the food and the location is that there is really nothing “Disney” about the experience. The service seems a bit of an afterthought. We got our order and it was accurate….but that’s it.
If the server wasn’t wearing a recognizable Disney nametag and there wasn’t a store selling overpriced Disney stuff across the lobby, you could be in Generic Hotel Restaurant in Anywhere, USA.
Please don’t misconstrue this as a negative review. It’s not.
If you want a $10 Rueben and fries and a $2.50 soft drink….that’s what you’ll get.
If you sit facing the window, you’ll get a pretty view of a golf course, lake and fountain.
If you need a $75 Disney golf shirt, there is a store ready, willing and able to sell you one.
The Sand Trap is also a free WiFi spot.
If you are looking for the “Disney” experience, you have come to the wrong place, unless, you are a die-hard Disney fan and need to see every square inch of Disney property. This is a bit off the beaten path, and if that’s your thing….go for it..
It’s my opinion that unless you are golfing or have virtually nothing else to do…..go do something else.
You are mere minutes away from some world class entertainment that you are probably paying big bucks to experience. Go do that. You can eat in a golf course restaurant at home.
- Changes coming to Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It Street Party? - An update is rumored for this parade later this year, possibly around October. Possible changes are new music; Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Donald moving to the top of the floats; and Stitch joining the fun. Sebastian, Lumiere, and The Mad Hatter will leave the parade.
- During pool rehab, Polynesian guests will have free admission to Blizzard Beach - Originally, the resort guests were just going to be given one-day tickets to the water park, but that has been changed. They will now have complimentary unlimited admission to Blizzard Beach during their stay at the Polynesian.
- List of restaurants participating in the 2015 Disney Dining Plan - This list will be updated as more restaurants are added. Epcot and Downtown Disney restaurants don't normally finalize their participation until later in the year.
- 2015 Magic Your Way Disney World packages released! - A Walt Disney World package is a resort room and theme park admission. The Disney Dining Plan may also be added.
- Happy 15th Birthday to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith! - The attraction originally opened its doors at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 29, 1999.
- Victoria & Albert's will no longer accept Tables in Wonderland - This begins August 1, 2014.
- Summertime Pals Ink & Paint Cel release - This limited release will be available at the event, or pre-order by September 25 at 5:00pm EST.
- Haunted Mansion merchandise shop coming to Magic Kingdom - The former Yankee Trader shop will become a Haunted Mansion merchandise location in the near future. The decor will be inspired by Madame Leota and will carry items from the Haunted Mansion Authentic program, such as apparel, home goods, souvenirs and more.
- Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings for August - List of authors and artists coming to the theme parks for signings and merchandise releases.
- List of characters updated for Villains Unleashed! event - Over 50 Disney villains will be taking over the park until the 13th hour!
- Beginning today, PhotoPass print packages are no longer offered table-side at character meals - This includes Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Tusker House Restaurant.
- Disney Visa cardholders can book Food & Wine Festival events early - Disney Visa cardholders can book special events two days earlier than the general public - on July 29 and July 30 from 7:00am-11:00pm EST.
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
- Walt Disney World 2015 packages now available to book
- High-speed train will link Shanghai Disneyland to city
- "Clyde and Seamore Take Pirate Island" show cancelled at SeaWorld
- PBS plans Walt Disney biopic
- Release date set for 5th Pirates of the Caribbean film
- Man arrested at Typhoon Lagoon for molesting 4 teenage girls
- Standby line to be cut off in Anna and Elsa meet and greet
- Disney's second quarter injury report: 12-year-old boy cuts fingers on Pirates ride
- 30 years in prison for man who molested girl at SeaWorld
- Possible agreement reached between Disney and unions