Tusker House Buffet Review
by Kevin Klose - 12/2/07
Three of ventured out to try the new African themed buffet at the Tusker House Restaurant in Disney’s Animal Kingdom. It is located in The Harambe section of the park.
Tusker House has recently re-opened after a lengthy rehab as a buffet restaurant. This is a change from its previous life as counter service location.
I should let you know before this review begins that comparisons to Boma are inevitable.
Upon arriving at Tusker House, we approached the podium to register and were told that we had no reservation. In fact, we had been holding this for weeks and after some conversation our confirmation was located. It seems a typo was the culprit. The staff was never less than fully accommodating and apologetic. After registering, we waited approximately 10 minutes to be escorted inside. Entrance is now through the rear of the building.
We were taken to our table where we found a map/ diagram of the buffet. It is here that I need to let you know that comparisons to Boma in Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge are inevitable.
The Tusker House buffet is set up in a very similar fashion to that of Boma. There are food stations (or pods). The map lists the stations as Breads, Cold Tables, Vegetarian Tables, Kids’ Tables, Hot Tables and Desserts. There is a great deal of room to move around the food area.
After taking a quick tour of the offerings, I can only guess that green beans are a huge favorite in African wildlife preserves as they were only missing from the Bread station and Dessert table.. There were cold green beans with onions and dressing , green beans and couscous, green beans for kids and green beans with carrots in the hot selections. While they were tasty…I have to wonder if there are green bean lobbyists out there. I mean its December….is it green bean season and I’m unaware?
I am not going to list everything on the buffet here. If you wish to see the list of offerings, it can be viewed here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1651233.
As with any buffet, there was some good and some not so much. There is no need for groups with picky eaters to worry. There is something for everyone.
While I am only a novice at African cuisine (thanks to Jiko and Boma) I can only imagine that there is not much that is truly African on this buffet and the emphasis is on that which is African “inspired”. That being said, there are a few dishes that are very tasty and some that are downright spicy.
Our party of three picked a few that were stand-outs in our opinions. We liked the Cape Malay Curry Chicken (very spicy), Kenyan Coffee rubbed pork loin, seafood stew, with sweet and spicy mustard (on the side for those not interested) and curried vegetable samosas (think vegetable turnovers).
The various and sundry side dishes were good but nothing stands out as needing to be described. It’s more a matter of personal taste. Try them…you might find something to love. You have a better chance of loving something if green beans are your thing.
The dessert table is again reminiscent of Boma. There are several bit sized pastries and sweets but by far the stand out was the Warm Banana – Cinnamon Bread Pudding with vanilla sauce. This is going to be one of those things that folks will tell you is worth price of the buffet.
Speaking of prices…..the lunch buffet was $19.99 per person for anyone 10 and older and included a non-alcoholic beverage. Kids age 3 -9 are $10.99. The breakfast buffet is a character meal at $18.99 and $10.99 and the dinner buffet is $26.99 and $12.99.
I think the very best description of the new Tusker House Buffet (and I wish I could take credit for this) is Boma Lite. If you like Boma, that’s a good thing. If you aren’t a fan….again…not so much.
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
- PBS plans Walt Disney biopic
- Release date set for 5th Pirates of the Caribbean film
- Man arrested at Typhoon Lagoon for molesting 4 teenage girls
- Standby line to be cut off in Anna and Elsa meet and greet
- Disney's second quarter injury report: 12-year-old boy cuts fingers on Pirates ride
- 30 years in prison for man who molested girl at SeaWorld
- Possible agreement reached between Disney and unions
- Disney's CEO Bob Iger honored as CEO of the Year by Chief Executive magazine
- Trattoria al Forno to replace Cat Cora's Kouzzina at Disney World
- Technical glitch causes Universal's Transformers ride to stall