Tusker House Buffet Review
by Kevin Klose - 12/2/07
Three of ventured out to try the new African themed buffet at the Tusker House Restaurant in Disney’s Animal Kingdom. It is located in The Harambe section of the park.
Tusker House has recently re-opened after a lengthy rehab as a buffet restaurant. This is a change from its previous life as counter service location.
I should let you know before this review begins that comparisons to Boma are inevitable.
Upon arriving at Tusker House, we approached the podium to register and were told that we had no reservation. In fact, we had been holding this for weeks and after some conversation our confirmation was located. It seems a typo was the culprit. The staff was never less than fully accommodating and apologetic. After registering, we waited approximately 10 minutes to be escorted inside. Entrance is now through the rear of the building.
We were taken to our table where we found a map/ diagram of the buffet. It is here that I need to let you know that comparisons to Boma in Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge are inevitable.
The Tusker House buffet is set up in a very similar fashion to that of Boma. There are food stations (or pods). The map lists the stations as Breads, Cold Tables, Vegetarian Tables, Kids’ Tables, Hot Tables and Desserts. There is a great deal of room to move around the food area.
After taking a quick tour of the offerings, I can only guess that green beans are a huge favorite in African wildlife preserves as they were only missing from the Bread station and Dessert table.. There were cold green beans with onions and dressing , green beans and couscous, green beans for kids and green beans with carrots in the hot selections. While they were tasty…I have to wonder if there are green bean lobbyists out there. I mean its December….is it green bean season and I’m unaware?
I am not going to list everything on the buffet here. If you wish to see the list of offerings, it can be viewed here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1651233.
As with any buffet, there was some good and some not so much. There is no need for groups with picky eaters to worry. There is something for everyone.
While I am only a novice at African cuisine (thanks to Jiko and Boma) I can only imagine that there is not much that is truly African on this buffet and the emphasis is on that which is African “inspired”. That being said, there are a few dishes that are very tasty and some that are downright spicy.
Our party of three picked a few that were stand-outs in our opinions. We liked the Cape Malay Curry Chicken (very spicy), Kenyan Coffee rubbed pork loin, seafood stew, with sweet and spicy mustard (on the side for those not interested) and curried vegetable samosas (think vegetable turnovers).
The various and sundry side dishes were good but nothing stands out as needing to be described. It’s more a matter of personal taste. Try them…you might find something to love. You have a better chance of loving something if green beans are your thing.
The dessert table is again reminiscent of Boma. There are several bit sized pastries and sweets but by far the stand out was the Warm Banana – Cinnamon Bread Pudding with vanilla sauce. This is going to be one of those things that folks will tell you is worth price of the buffet.
Speaking of prices…..the lunch buffet was $19.99 per person for anyone 10 and older and included a non-alcoholic beverage. Kids age 3 -9 are $10.99. The breakfast buffet is a character meal at $18.99 and $10.99 and the dinner buffet is $26.99 and $12.99.
I think the very best description of the new Tusker House Buffet (and I wish I could take credit for this) is Boma Lite. If you like Boma, that’s a good thing. If you aren’t a fan….again…not so much.
- Dates and seminars announced for Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Food & Wine Classic - 2014 will be the 5th year for this event that features wine and beer seminars, tasting stations and live music.
- VIDEO: 2014 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - One of the most welcome signs of spring is Epcot's annual International Flower & Garden Festival. While the grounds at Epcot are always beautiful, the Flower and Garden Festival takes them to the next level. At the festival you'll find gardens, topiaries, play areas, outdoor food kitchens, exhibits, music, and more.
- Blog - Disney's Festival of Fantasy Parade debuts at the Magic Kingdom!
- VIDEO - Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade - Festival of Fantasy is the brand new daily parade at the Magic Kingdom bringing the characters and stories of New Fantasyland to life! Brand new floats and costumes were produced for the parade featuring characters from Frozen, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Princess and the Frog, Brave, Dumbo, Pinocchio, The Little Mermaid, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, Tangled, Fantasia, Snow White and more!
- Photo Gallery of the Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade - The "Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade" celebrates New Fantasyland with new innovative floats, costumes and an all-new soundtrack that features songs from popular Disney films.
- VIDEO - Topiaries at Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - The Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival is better than before in 2014 and features some of the most beautiful and elaborate topiaries seen anywhere. New this year includes 'Spring is in the Air!' featuring Goofy, Donald and Daisy as you enter the park; Soccer Goofy and Donald; and Kermit the Frog & Miss Piggy inspired by "Muppets Most Wanted". Returning favorites include Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Buzz Lightyear, Lightning McQueen, Tow Mater, Phineas and Ferb, Tinker Bell, Bambi and Friends, Peter Pan and Captain Hook, Winnie the Pooh and Friends, Classic Disney Couples, Woody, Lady and the Tramp, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Lion King, Pandas, Troll and Fantasia!
- VIDEO - Outdoor Kitchens at Epcot Flower & Garden Festival - After the popular introduction in 2013, the outdoor kitchens are back at the 2014 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival serving up some of the finest and freshest food at Epcot in a similar fashion to the Food & Wine Festival. Outdoor kitchens include Pineapple Promenade, The Buttercup Cottage, Fleur de Lys, Taste of Marrakesh, Hanami, The Smokehouse: Barbecue and Brews, Primavera Kitchen, Florida Fresh, Lotus House, Jardin de Fiestas, and the new Urban Farm EATS!
- VIDEO - Festival Center at the Flower & Garden Festival - Video of the Festival Center at Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival 2014. The festival center is where you can find many of the seminars and presentations featured during the Festival.
- 2014 Flower & Garden Festival Photos - 2014 photo gallery of Epcot's International Flower & Garden Festival
- Inaugural Disney Fit Challenge to be held in September - Competitions will include tests of power, speed, balance, strength and endurance.
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.
- Leadership changes at Walt Disney World resorts and transportation
- Disney and unions extend contract
- Major staff cuts at Disney Interactive
- Blackfish director denies receiving confidential information
- Hank Wiliams Jr. and Alabama to perform at SeaWorld
- Universal Orlando parking garage closed for suspicious vehicle
- SeaWorld calls for investigation of OSHA inspector
- Preview of food items for Wizarding World of Harry Potter expansion
- Disney announces theme parks will stay open for 24-hour party
- Magic Kingdom Hub Expansion Announced