Village Haus & Cosmic Rays
by Kevin Klose - 1/21/08
We had recently been asked if it was possible to go to the Magic Kingdom without an advanced dining reservation for one of the restaurants and still enjoy a meal that didn’t consist of burgers, fries or chicken fingers. Is it possible to enjoy your day unencumbered by several hours of preplanning and unrestricted by a pre-set dining time.
We decided we were up to the challenge and headed for the park. We had no idea of where or when we were going to eat. All we knew was that we were on the outlook for something other than the typical fast food and it still had to be tasty and a decent value. We can’t say “inexpensive” because we are dealing with theme park food after all.
There were two of us and I should explain that we did something a bit different than we would normally do. In an effort to cover more than one location, we only ordered one meal at each location and we split them.
Our first stop was Pinocchio Village Haus. This location is located next to “it’s a small world.”
The Village Haus does not look like a very inviting place. Upon first approaching, it doesn’t even look like its open. Even after you enter, it is still a bit dark. I wasn’t sure it was open until we were well inside and saw other people.
The interior space continues the theming from outside. It has a beautiful fairytale feel. There are some wonderful murals and wood cut outs showing Pinocchio and his friends. This is old school Disney World and deserves to be treated with some respect. It is also huge inside. It’s an awesome place to escape the heat.
This place was empty during our visit and I am of the belief that if Disney put a bit of time and some of that famous Imagineering pixie dust was sprinkled around, this place would do a thriving business. It sits in a superb location overlooking the Disney Carousel and there are inside windows overlooking the “small world” loading area.
Our first menu selection was Grilled Turkey and Bacon Panini for $7.29. It’s a large sandwich consisting of turkey, bacon, provolone cheese, roasted red pepper, tomato and basil on multi grain bread. This came with apple slices or chips. We chose the baked chips. We also ordered Figaro Fries (I know, we said no fries) and a 32 oz. soft drink. The fries were $3.19 and the drink was $2.39. Our total in The Village Haus was $13.71 with tax.
We chose our seats over looking “small world”. (I would have bet anyone money that all of the boats in that ride were blue. I would have lost. There are yellow and red boats as well.)
Our sandwich was a very pleasant surprise and what we considered to be a decent value (again....keeping in mind that we are using that term in relationship to Disney food). They used large slices of bread cut on the diagonal. The multigrain bread was toasted crisp and the stuff inside seemed fresh and tasted very good. The sandwich needed no additional condiments.
Now….let’s talk about the Figaro Fries. They start with fries (ask for hot, fresh fries or this wont work), add some shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, shredded cheese, bacon and to top it off….a drizzle of ranch dressing. These were mighty fine. I have no idea why these have not reached the status and fame of those awful, sickeningly sweet Dole Whips. You really have to try these.
If you are a light eaters or just looking for a snack, these items could be split, making for a rather inexpensive meal. Even if you double the total, you are at $26.00 for two and we think that’s a value when you add in the fact that this would take no planning at all.
Our next stop was Cosmic Rays. This place sits between Tomorrowland and Fantasy Land and overlooks the central hub of the Magic Kingdom.
Cosmic Rays is the place to go if you have several people in your party wanting different things. There are three sides (or bays) to the main counter. They are listed as Bay 1 Chicken, Bay 2 Burgers and Bay 3 Sandwiches, Soups and Salads. This offers a wide variety but the drawback, as far as we could tell, was that if you want something from a different Bay, you must wait in both lines. This works fine if there are multiple adults in your party, but if you are a single adult traveling with children with different tastes, you might have difficulty.
Ray’s is a huge place with a “glass and steel” modern look. It’s reminiscent of the old Saturday morning cartoon, The Jetsons. There is also a separate room with an animatronic figure to entertain the kids.
At Cosmic Ray’s our choice was the BBQ pork Sandwich served with homemade chips or pasta salad for $7.59. You have the option of adding soup to any entrée for $1.79, bringing the total for this entrée to $9.38. We also ordered a 32 oz soft drink for $2.39 bringing the total to $12.54 with tax.
Cosmic Ray’s also has a large “fixins bar” to doctor up your food as you like. They offer the typical burger toppings but also offer sautéed mushrooms and sautéed onions. There is no cost to add these things to your entrée.
Our BBQ pork was shredded and piled high on a Kaiser roll. The sauce had a sweet and tangy taste. I like pickles with my BBQ and the tart dill slices on the “fixins bar” added a nice touch. While this was a pretty good sized sandwich, it didn’t lend itself to splitting nearly as well as our last stop. The chips were also good. Had they been hot…they would have been awesome.
The soup was supposedly chicken noodle and we were hard pressed to find anything but celery. It was the main, if not only ingredient showing in our bowl. The broth had a decidedly celery taste. Now, if you like celery soup…this might be your thing. If you like chicken soup and believe in truth in advertising…we suggest you shy away from this one. After a taste or two…it sat untouched. Knowing this, we could have skipped it and brought the total down by approximately two bucks to about $10.50.
Using our last comparison that if you double this, you are looking at roughly $21.00 for two.
While we considered Ray’s a decent value, we both agreed that Pinocchio’s Village Haus had the better sandwich, side dish and an all around better experience.
We found that we could have a tasty and filling meal in the Magic Kingdom for approximately $25.00 (or under) for two adults and it didn’t necessarily mean burger and fries or chicken strips. We also found that we could do it without any pre-planning at all. This works really well for those that don’t want to be time bound by a lunch or dinner reservation.
- Pricing structure changed for Valet Parking at Downtown Disney - Pricing is based on length of stay - time starts when you reach the valet podium and stops when you return to the podium to pick up your car.
- Blog - Top 5 Must Do's at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party
- Pangani Research Center closes for refurb - Pangani Research Center- Aviary and Hippo viewing area will be closed 9/2 - 11/14/2014.
- Blog - Villains Soiree - Wickedly Disappointing
- Blog - Dole Whips are back at the Polynesian Village Resort at the new and disappointing Pineapple Lanai
- Shortened monorail operating hours now in place - The monorail will have a different operating schedule than normal as an automation upgrade takes place.
- Blog - The Good and Bad of "Toy Story of TERROR!" on Blu-ray
- American Idol Experience is now closed at Disney's Hollywood Studios - This attraction closed August 30, 2014. No definitive plans have been announced for this space.
- VIDEO: Oogie Boogie's Freaky Funhouse Show at Villains Unleashed - Oogie Boogie's Freaky Funhouse Show at Villains Unleashed brings Vegas to Walt Disney World. Villains Unleashed took over Disney's Hollywood Studios on August 23, 2014 and part of the hard ticket event was Oogie Boogie's Freak Funhouse Show. Oogie Boogie hosts the show that features a sword-swallowing act, daredevil archery and a finale full of fire!
- Refurb closures planned for Walt Disney World water parks - Typhoon Lagoon will be closed 10/26/14-1/3/15 and Blizzard Beach will be closed 1/4/15-3/14/15.
- Top 5 Signature Dining Experiences at the Walt Disney World Resorts - 1,600 listeners and viewers of our DIS Unplugged web-cast voted on their favorite signature restaurants at the Walt Disney World resort hotels.
- Blog - The Top 5 Underutilized Spaces at Walt Disney World
- Starbucks will open at Hollywood Studios in February 2015 - The Trolley Car Cafe will be located along Hollywood Boulevard and be themed like a trolley car station. Disney baked goods and Starbucks La Boulange pastry items will be available. An exact location hasn't been announced.
- VIDEO - Frozen Fireworks Multi-Angle Full Show - “Frozen” Fireworks Spectacular – Everything wraps up at 9:45 p.m. when Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, and Olaf come together at the Sorcerer’s Hat Icon Stage for a grand finale to the day’s festivities, kicking off an awe-inspiring fireworks display set to the glorious music of “Frozen!”
- VIDEO: Star-Lord & Gamora from 'Guardians of the Galaxy' at Villains Unleashed - Peter Quill, aka Star-Lord, and Gamora made their first appearance ever at the Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix Tape Vol. 1 Dance Party during the Villains Unleashed event at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
- Mikala Canoe Club Marina at Polynesian to be closed for refurb - The marina will be closed 9/15 - 9/19/2014. Sail boat/motorized boats and fishing excursions will not be available.
- Entrance 4 to Downtown Disney's parking lot now closed - Entrance 4 (between Cirque du Soleil and DisneyQuest) is now closed permanently. The only entrances are Entrance 2 (across from the Hess Station) and Entrance 5 (across from Typhoon Lagoon).
- VIDEO: Villains Unleashed Opening Ceremony - Villains Unleashed kicked off at Disney's Hollywood Studios with an opening ceremony hosted by Hades, Pain, Panic and Megara from Hercules. Once the stars of the night took the stage they introduced some of the 50 Disney Villains guests could meet at the special hard ticket event.
- VIDEO: Villains Unleashed Event Overview - Over 50 Disney villains took over Disney's Hollywood Studios for the Villains Unleashed Event.
- Times updated for events at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - The Party is a specially ticketed event at the Magic Kingdom that begins September 1.
- Villains' Sinister Soiree add-on available for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - This special add-on will give guests preferred viewing for Mickey's Boo to You Halloween Parade (8:15pm) and the Happy HalloWishes fireworks show. Lady Tremaine will host a dessert soiree at Cinderella's Royal Table Restaurant for you and some of her friends.
- 5 Elements from the Disney Parks that You'll Find on a Disney Cruise Ship - You have been to the Disney Parks, and you love them. You keep going back for that pixie-dust rush. You can’t imagine a vacation apart from Disney Parks, yet somehow the “old and familiar” is getting a bit old and familiar. This is where the Disney Cruise Line enters. It’s a Disney vacation of a different variety. The dissimilarities are a bit obvious. You’re on a ship in the ocean, visiting foreign places. This is nothing like being landlocked in a park, surrounded by coasters and kiosks. So what can you expect from the Disney Parks to carry over to your cruise?
- Blog - "Villains Unleashed" needs leashing up - Disney's overcrowded hard ticket event leaves guests in long lines most of the night
- Mickey's PhilharMagic refurb extended - The end date has been moved from September 19 to the 28th. The attraction will go down September 8.
- Enchanted Tiki Room going down for refurb in late September - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed from 9/27 - 10/3/2014.
- Two Epcot New Year's Eve dining events released - More New Year's Eve events are yet to be released.
- Blog - Beyond Aulani
- Updated operating schedule for monorails - The monorail will have a different operating schedule than normal as an automation upgrade takes place.
- Charging stations for electric vehicles added to Epcot parking lot - Disney has added four Level 2 ChargePoint charging stations to the Journey parking lot at Epcot. Electric vehicles will be charged $.35 per kw/h, with a minimum charge of $1.50.
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party tickets sold out on 10/31/14 - Tickets are still available for all other dates.
- New Move it! Shake it! Dance and Play it! Street Party to debut at Magic Kingdom this fall - Stitch and Phineas & Ferb will join the party and Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Goofy will ride on top of giant gift boxes. The soundtrack will feature remixed classic party songs and guests will vote for one of three current hits to be played.
- VIDEO: What's New at Aulani - Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa has many new offerings. Quick service at Ulu Cafe, kids splash zone at Keiki Cove, two new pools, and much more.
- MagicBands can now be purchased without ticket media - The bands are now available for purchase across property.
- Changes to boat schedules at Downtown Disney - Schedules have been changing recently due to construction.
- Blog - The Good and Bad of the "Muppets Most Wanted" Blu-ray
- Ultimate Day VIP Tour available at Epcot Food & Wine Festival - This daylong tour begins at the Festival Center's VIP Lounge and includes champagne, a beverage tasting, six-course tapas-style lunch, wine, private backstage tours, time on Epcot attractions, food and beverage pairings with Disney chefs, VIP seating at the Eat to the Beat Concert Series, and reserved seating for IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth fireworks spectacular.
- Blog - New Golden Oak Outpost Menu is Waffle Fry Heaven
- Sunrise Safari at Animal Kingdom ending 12/28/14 - This tour is exclusive to Animal Kingdom Lodge Kilimanjaro Club Level guests.
- American Idol Experience to close August 30 - No plans have been announced for the space.
- Florida residents save $40 on Cirque du Soleil tickets - Through September and October, Florida residents will save $40 on adult Cirque du Soleil tickets purchased at the box office.
- VIDEO: The Refurbished Capt. Cook's at Polynesian Resort - After a long refurbishment, Capt. Cook's has reopened at the Polynesian Village Resort. Major changes include artwork in the seating area, a new menu, no more ordering off of touch screens and the tragic loss of the Dole Whip self-serve machine.
- American Film Institute at the end of Backlot Tour to close - As of August 17, the American Film Institute Showcase exhibit at the end of the ride will be closed. This exhibit features props and costumes from various films. The gift shop will also close.
- D23 Expo 2015 tickets are now on sale - Tickets for next year's D23 Expo are now on sale. The D23 Expo will be held August 14-16, 2015 at the Anaheim Convention Center.
- Blog - Polynesian Resort's Capt. Cook's quick service restaurant reopens after refurbishment
- Golden Oak Outpost now serving specialty waffle fries - This walk-up stand is located on the backside of Frontierland on the walkway to Adventureland.
- Tower of Terror On-ride videos available with Memory Maker - After riding The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, a video of the guest's ride will be added to their My Disney Experience account. This video is only available to guests who have purchased Memory Maker.
- Win a 2 Night / 3 Day stay at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin! - Answer 3 questions about the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin on our contest page for a chance to WIN!
- Great Irish Hooley Festival to be held at Downtown Disney - "Hooley" is Irish slang for party or celebration. Celebrate with food, drink and dancing.
- Update coming to My Disney Experience - make dining reservations 20 minutes in advance - A new update will allow guests to make same day dining reservations only 20 minutes in advance.
- Performance times updated for Night of Joy - Disney’s Night of Joy is a hard-ticket event at the Magic Kingdom that features contemporary Christian performers.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Polynesian Resort Lobby - Lobby Waterfall - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at the Polynesian Resort.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Continues to Materialize
- Refurb scheduled this winter for the Haunted Mansion - The attraction will be closed from 12/1 - 12/19/14.
- It's Tough to be a Bug refurb extended until 9/27 - This attraction was originally scheduled to reopen August 11, but will instead stay closed through September 27.
- Yankee Trader shop refurb extended through December - The shop is becoming a Haunted Mansion gift shop.
- Disney and unions argue about extra shift distribution policy
- Polynesian Resort opens new Dole Whip location
- Popular EPCOT acts to depart this Fall
- Wet 'n Wild employee trapped in pool; now in critical condition
- Star Wars mobile game app released by Disney
- Disney contract approved by part-time employees
- Citation banning whale trainers from water will not be appealed by SeaWorld
- Disney cancels 2014 Festival of the Masters art show
- Radio Disney to shut down stations and lay off employees
- Disney proposes new contract for part-time employees