Wolfgang Puck Café
Review by Kevin Klose
There are three versions of Wolfgang Puck at Walt Disney World.
There are two Wolfgang Puck Express restaurants. One is next to the Days of Christmas store in the Marketplace and one is across from the Virgin Megastore Disney’s West Side.
Next to the West Side location is the Wolfgang Puck Café and then just plain old Wolfgang Puck (the most expensive of the three) is upstairs over that.
Confused? I’ll try to help out.
This review will discuss the Wolfgang Puck Café located between the House of Blues and Bongos Cuban Café. This is not the Express “grab and go” fast food location and not the fanciest of the three although, you would never guess that from the demeanor of the folks that greet you.
We made an advanced dining reservation for 4:30pm on a Friday afternoon. The reservation was for 4 people. Between making the reservation and actually arriving, we asked a 5th person to join us.
Upon arriving (on time) at the restaurant, we inquired as to whether there would be an issue accommodating an additional guest. After much conferencing between the four people standing behind the podium, it was decided that it would be ok that all 5 of us dined.
A seating person (not one of the original 4 tribunal) showed us to our table. Please note that although this building was built in the era of mandated handicapped accessibility, those in wheelchairs (and the companions) must navigate behind the dessert counter, under the main staircase and through part of the prep area, excusing yourself and apologizing all the way to those attempting to get ready for dinner.
Our less than talkative “seater” did not mention this, we just sort of stumbled upon it after realizing that there are three stairs down to the main dining room.
Upon arriving at our table, we found that we were being seated at a table for four with an additional chair wedged between the table and a wall. This table was also located between two of only four occupied tables in the almost empty restaurant. Even if we had remained a party of four, this table was inadequate. I asked our “not friendly” seater if we could move to a larger table. After rolling his eyes, he mumbled that he would check.
I followed him to the podium where he whispered to the tribunal and then one of them (stating that he was the manager) approached me stating that he had chosen this table specifically for us. I explained that we were big folks and had a wheel chair and that we wouldn’t fit at this table to which he replied “Well, you were the one that decided to bring someone else. Your reservation was for 4 and not 5.” I asked nicely if he realized that his restaurant was 95% empty and he told me that these tables were reserved for people that “knew how many people were going to be dining.” I politely told him we were leaving and he told me that was fine. One of the cooler heads in our group talked to him and asked if we were being punished for bringing an additional person. After sucking his teeth and rolling his eyes, he stated that he needed to rearrange things but that we could have a larger table.. He handed an additional menu to the mute “seater” and we were finally sat a larger table in a still nearly empty restaurant.
On to the rest of the experience,…
We ordered appetizers which range from approximately $10.00 to $15.00 per order. We tried the Asian Style Vegetable Spring Rolls ($9.95). which is two spring rolls cut in half, the Truffle – Maytag Blue Kettle Chips ($9.95) which are potato chips with bleu cheese and truffle oil, a cheese pizza (personal size for $11.95), the Butternut Squash soup ($6.95) and a sushi special (14/95).
The appetizers were tasty, but ridiculously overpriced for the quality and amount of food that we received.
For our entrees, which range from $17 – 28.00, we tried the Meatloaf (2 at $17.95), the Spicy Chicken Penne ($17.95), the Roasted Whole Chicken ($18.95) and an Iron Steak Special ($23.95).
Of the entrees, the only one deemed worth the time or the price was the whole roasted chicken. It was tender and juicy and plentiful. This could easily be shared by two (or more) people. The Iron Steak special was deemed tasteless. The two meatloaf entrees were described as having unusual texture and the Spicy Chicken Penne was “HOT” but bland. The only flavor was derived from the heat.
We also tried three deserts which are all $7.95. We had the Vanilla Crème Brulee, the Classic Carrot Cake and the Double Chocolate Mud Pie. All were described good…but not thrilling.
Our check for 5 people was $190.00. The Wolfgang Puck Café does not accept the Disney Dining Experience any longer.
I usually devote much more attention to the actual food in most restaurants but in this case the pretentiousness of our getting a table marred the entire experience. This is a loud boisterous restaurant that in my opinion is placing far too much relevance on a celebrity chef’s name and reputation.
This is Disney World folks…not New York City or Los Angeles. Folks are looking for a good dining experience…not fake snobbery.
By the way….there were empty tables available right up until our departure.
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party sold out on December 19 - Other dates are still available.
- Blog - Vintage Christmas Merchandise at Walt Disney World
- VIDEO: 2014 Walt Disney World Holiday Showcase - Join JeniLynn Knopp of the DIS Unplugged as she speaks with Steven Miller about holiday merchandise and shopping, Robert Hargrove and Santa Stitch about holiday entertainment, and Flash, Garland and The Boss about decorating Walt Disney World!
- 3 Surprising Things About Working at Mission: SPACE - Here’s a few of the things I learned about the attraction and about being a cast member at Mission: SPACE.
- Blog - A Weekend at Give Kids the World Village
- Christmas Eve dinner available for Disney Vacation Club members - The dinner will include a buffet, Christmas carolers and photo ops with Mickey and Minnie.
- Walt Disney World New Year's Eve dining information - Many of the restaurants will offer special meals or dining events to celebrate the holiday.
- Discounts and payment plans available at Walt Disney World Speedway - Several of the driving experiences are available with a discount through the holidays.
- Epcot's Canadian Lumberjack show on hiatus - The show will resume 1/4/15.
- Play nine holes of golf at Disney for just $29 - Play 9 holes at the Disney golf courses starting anytime between 7:00 and 8:30am for just $29.
- Details for 2015 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - Anna and Elsa topiaries will be on display at World Showcase Plaza.
- Epcot's Spice Road Table now accepts reservations - Reservations are available beginning December 2.
- The Comedy Warehouse Holiday Special to return to Hollywood Studios - This improvisational comedy show will return to the Premier Theater at Hollywood Studios from December 21, 2014 - January 4, 2015.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Magic Kingdom Hub - Cinderella Castle - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Magic Kingdom Hub - Cinderella Castle
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - The Diamond Horseshoe Balcony - The Diamond Horseshoe - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at The Diamond Horseshoe Balcony - The Diamond Horseshoe
- Save up to 30% on a stay at Aulani - Discount is available most nights 4/6 - 6/15/15.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Bay Lake Tower 15th Floor - Magic Kingdom - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Bay Lake Tower 15th Floor - Magic Kingdom
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party sold out on November 20 - There are still many MVMCP dates available.
- Plan B Character Dining at Walt Disney World - If you’re looking to make a reservation for a character meal and can’t get one, we’ve got a couple of suggestions for places you may not have thought of.
- Blizzard Beach to be closed November 17 due to cold temperatures - Typhoon Lagoon is already closed for its annual refurbishment.
- Top 5(+) things that are better at Walt Disney World than at Disneyland - Bigger may not always be better, but isn't always worse either. I can't resist countering with an article that lists, in my view, the things that are better at Walt Disney World.
- Guests meeting Santa at Downtown Disney have new notification option - Guests will get pagers if the wait exceeds 30 minutes (or they can choose to receive a text message instead). When their pager goes off and they return to Santa's Chalet, they will have about a 20 minute wait.
- Disney Visa cardholders get a special gift when taking advantage of Aulani discount - When booking the 4th night free offer, Disney Visa cardholders will also receive a special Welcome Gift at check-in with specialty items and signature Aulani merchandise ($98 value).
- Disney restaurants that kids will love, but parents would rather avoid - When you’re a parent traveling with your kids, you often need to put your own desires aside and head to the more kid-friendly establishments. Of course, there are exceptions to everything, but here’s a list of three restaurants that most kids will love, but many parents would rather avoid.
- Top 5 things that are better at Disneyland than at Walt Disney World - Bigger isn't always better and while Walt Disney's original theme park is smaller, it still has the advantage over its East-coast counterpart in a few key areas.
- Rehabs planned for several resort pools - Several of the resorts have rehabs scheduled for their pools and water slides in the upcoming months.
- Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom now opening an hour early Thanksgiving week - Both parks will now open at 8:00am instead of 9:00am. Extra Magic Hours for those parks will move one hour earlier as well.
- 3 Surprising Things About Working at Expedition Everest - I want to bring you some surprising facts from the perspective of a cast member working there on a daily basis.
- Rehabs planned for Art of Animation pools - The closure dates are: Big Blue Pool 11/17 - 11/19, Little Mermaid Flippin' Fins Pool 11/20 - 11/21, and the Cozy Cone Pool 11/24 - 11/26.
- Second seating added to Frozen Holiday Premium Packages - These packages include reserved seating for the First Time In Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration and access to a Frozen-themed dessert party with reserved viewing for Osborne Lights.
- All-Star Music food court to open early after refurbishment - Instead of being closed until December 20 like originally planned, the Intermission Food Court will reopen on December 3.
- The Great 'Throwaway Room' Debate - For those not familiar with the issue – a ‘throwaway room’ is a Disney resort room that is booked for one night just to get the perks associated with it.
- Seasonal food and drink offered at Epcot for the holidays - Each pavilion will have a special offering for the holidays.
- Ticket specials available for Cirque du Soleil - Discounted tickets available through December 19, 2014.
- VIDEO: Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade - Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom.
- Blog - Reduce Theme Park Lines? Invest in New Attractions
- Free breakfast offer for length of stay at Aulani - This offer must be booked by December 18.
- Jingle Cruise returns to Magic Kingdom for the holidays - The attraction will receive a new storyline, just for the holidays. This will be open throughout the holiday season, as well as during Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party.
- Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmastime Parade Photos - Photos from Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmastime Parade, including the new addition of characters from Frozen and Wreck-It-Ralph.
- VIDEO: Anna and Elsa join Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade - Frozen's Anna, Elsa, Olaf and Kristoff join Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime parade at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom.
- Memory Maker now available for purchase after your vacation - Memory Maker can now be purchased after your trip. Previously it had only been available in advance or on-site.
- Animated Magic Shots added at select Memory Maker locations - These shots will put an animated video overlay on one of your photos.
- Christmas Day parade taping to take place at Magic Kingdom December 6-9 - The parade that airs Christmas morning on ABC is filmed at the Magic Kingdom. Park guests can attend the taping with their regular park tickets. No special tickets will be needed.
- Big Hero 6 meet and greet now open at Disney's Hollywood Studios - Hiro and Baymax are now greeting guests in the Magic of Disney Animation building.
- Blog - Frozen Ice Palace Debuts at Malls Across the Country
- PANDORA Jewelry Showcase will debut Disney Parks line - The event will take place November 7-8, 2014 at Cherry Tree Lane in the Marketplace Co-Op at Downtown Disney.
- Last day for the Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow at Hollywood Studios - The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow is an interactive experience where guests can join forces with other pirates to battle Davy Jones, the Krakken and even mermaids.
- VIDEO: 'A Frozen Holiday Wish' Cinderella Castle Lighting Show at Magic Kingdom - This year, Elsa uses her magical powers to transform Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom into an icy palace with the help of Anna, Kristoff and Olaf.
- Blog - A Frozen Holiday Wish debuts at Magic Kingdom
- Special "Elsa" Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom card available at Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party - "Elsa's Icy Shield" lets game players use Elsa's ice powers to defeat villains.
- The Best Resorts at Walt Disney World - We asked the listeners to our DIS Unplugged podcast/video show to vote on their favorites, and we uncovered a few surprises along the way. We received more than 3200 votes in total, and we asked people to rate their favorite resort by category – best Value resort, vest moderate, best deluxe and best home away from home.
- Thanksgiving dining information for Walt Disney World - All the restaurants will be open on Thanksgiving, but some have special menus available.
- Aulani plans Thanksgiving feast - Celebrate the holiday in the Kaiona Ballroom. The menu will include traditional Thanksgiving favorites with an island twist.
- Cirque du Soleil ticket discounts available for Annual Passholders - Offer good on performances November 6-December 19, 2014.
- Annual passholders can save up to 35% at select Walt Disney World hotels - Valid for stays most nights 1/5/15 - 3/28/15.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Entrance 2 Parking lots A-G closed 12/1/2014-8/1/2016 to make way for the Town Center and the East Garage.
- 4 Reasons Why Disney's Hollywood Studios Needs To (And Will) Change - I want the current Disney's Hollywood Studios to succeed. I want to see it grow into something great. Here are some of the reasons I think Disney's Hollywood Studios needs to change for the better.
- Richard Petty "Jr. Ride-Along Experience" - free souvenir photo for Disney Visa cardholders - Get a free souvenir photo ($17.50 value) when you use your Disney Visa card to pay for the Jr. Ride-Along experience. Offer ends June 30, 2015.
- November Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings at Walt Disney World - All month long, Disney artists can be found at signings across property.
- Blizzard Beach to be closed November 1 due to cold temperatures - Typhoon Lagoon is also closed, but due to its annual rehab.
- Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Food & Wine Classic to be held this weekend - This event features wine and beer seminars, tasting stations and live music.
- Blog - Mickey's Halloween Party vs. Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
- How To Coach Someone Onto Thrill Rides - There is no fail-proof formula, but over the years I have found a few coaching techniques that I use with thrill-phobic personalities. With them I have coaxed quite a few of the most stubborn people in my life onto attractions they never imagined they would test.
- MagicBands will automatically add ride photos to your account - If guests are wearing an active MagicBand when they ride on select attractions, the photos will automatically be added to their My Disney Experience account.
- Blog - 'Move It! Shake It! Dance & Play It!' Street Party debuts at Magic Kingdom
- Top 5 Disney Bucket List Items - You know those things you always wanted to do but haven't had the time or money to do them?
- First night of Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party is sold out - Tickets are still available on the other nights.
- Planning a Disney Halloween Party in 10 Steps - A few ideas and 10 steps for planning a Disney Halloween party in your own neighborhood.
- A new flag waving act has opened in the Italy Pavilion - Sbandieratori Di Sansepolcro performs 12-minute shows several times daily.
- Walt Disney World's Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid plans month-long rehab - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed from 2/2/2015 - 3/6/2015.
- Island Supply store in Magic Kingdom's Adventureland closing - The shop will be closing 10/22/14 and will be replaced later this year.
- LeVar Burton and Edward James Olmos added to Candlelight Processional narrators - The Candlelight Processional takes place at Epcot from 11/28-12/30/14.
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party tickets sold out on 10/28/14 - Tickets are also sold out on the 30th and 31st.
- Star Wars teaser to be released on iTunes
- Turner Classic Movies partnering with Disney and the Great Movie Ride
- SeaWorld loses Panama Jack sponsorship
- "Santa's Favorite Resort" is the Walt Disney World Swan & Dolphin Hotel
- SeaWorld to debut new Clyde & Seamore show in spring
- New Anaheim transportation hub to open next month
- Last surviving child of Knott's founder dies
- Knott's Berry Farm announces new 4-D attraction
- Superheroes take over the inaugural Avengers half marathon
- Slacker Radio picks up Radio Disney programming