Wolfgang Puck Café
Review by Kevin Klose
There are three versions of Wolfgang Puck at Walt Disney World.
There are two Wolfgang Puck Express restaurants. One is next to the Days of Christmas store in the Marketplace and one is across from the Virgin Megastore Disney’s West Side.
Next to the West Side location is the Wolfgang Puck Café and then just plain old Wolfgang Puck (the most expensive of the three) is upstairs over that.
Confused? I’ll try to help out.
This review will discuss the Wolfgang Puck Café located between the House of Blues and Bongos Cuban Café. This is not the Express “grab and go” fast food location and not the fanciest of the three although, you would never guess that from the demeanor of the folks that greet you.
We made an advanced dining reservation for 4:30pm on a Friday afternoon. The reservation was for 4 people. Between making the reservation and actually arriving, we asked a 5th person to join us.
Upon arriving (on time) at the restaurant, we inquired as to whether there would be an issue accommodating an additional guest. After much conferencing between the four people standing behind the podium, it was decided that it would be ok that all 5 of us dined.
A seating person (not one of the original 4 tribunal) showed us to our table. Please note that although this building was built in the era of mandated handicapped accessibility, those in wheelchairs (and the companions) must navigate behind the dessert counter, under the main staircase and through part of the prep area, excusing yourself and apologizing all the way to those attempting to get ready for dinner.
Our less than talkative “seater” did not mention this, we just sort of stumbled upon it after realizing that there are three stairs down to the main dining room.
Upon arriving at our table, we found that we were being seated at a table for four with an additional chair wedged between the table and a wall. This table was also located between two of only four occupied tables in the almost empty restaurant. Even if we had remained a party of four, this table was inadequate. I asked our “not friendly” seater if we could move to a larger table. After rolling his eyes, he mumbled that he would check.
I followed him to the podium where he whispered to the tribunal and then one of them (stating that he was the manager) approached me stating that he had chosen this table specifically for us. I explained that we were big folks and had a wheel chair and that we wouldn’t fit at this table to which he replied “Well, you were the one that decided to bring someone else. Your reservation was for 4 and not 5.” I asked nicely if he realized that his restaurant was 95% empty and he told me that these tables were reserved for people that “knew how many people were going to be dining.” I politely told him we were leaving and he told me that was fine. One of the cooler heads in our group talked to him and asked if we were being punished for bringing an additional person. After sucking his teeth and rolling his eyes, he stated that he needed to rearrange things but that we could have a larger table.. He handed an additional menu to the mute “seater” and we were finally sat a larger table in a still nearly empty restaurant.
On to the rest of the experience,…
We ordered appetizers which range from approximately $10.00 to $15.00 per order. We tried the Asian Style Vegetable Spring Rolls ($9.95). which is two spring rolls cut in half, the Truffle – Maytag Blue Kettle Chips ($9.95) which are potato chips with bleu cheese and truffle oil, a cheese pizza (personal size for $11.95), the Butternut Squash soup ($6.95) and a sushi special (14/95).
The appetizers were tasty, but ridiculously overpriced for the quality and amount of food that we received.
For our entrees, which range from $17 – 28.00, we tried the Meatloaf (2 at $17.95), the Spicy Chicken Penne ($17.95), the Roasted Whole Chicken ($18.95) and an Iron Steak Special ($23.95).
Of the entrees, the only one deemed worth the time or the price was the whole roasted chicken. It was tender and juicy and plentiful. This could easily be shared by two (or more) people. The Iron Steak special was deemed tasteless. The two meatloaf entrees were described as having unusual texture and the Spicy Chicken Penne was “HOT” but bland. The only flavor was derived from the heat.
We also tried three deserts which are all $7.95. We had the Vanilla Crème Brulee, the Classic Carrot Cake and the Double Chocolate Mud Pie. All were described good…but not thrilling.
Our check for 5 people was $190.00. The Wolfgang Puck Café does not accept the Disney Dining Experience any longer.
I usually devote much more attention to the actual food in most restaurants but in this case the pretentiousness of our getting a table marred the entire experience. This is a loud boisterous restaurant that in my opinion is placing far too much relevance on a celebrity chef’s name and reputation.
This is Disney World folks…not New York City or Los Angeles. Folks are looking for a good dining experience…not fake snobbery.
By the way….there were empty tables available right up until our departure.
- Full list of celebrities attending Star Wars Weekends 2014 - New on the list this year are Mark Hamill and John Ratzenberger.
- Race dates for Disney's Marathon Weekend and Princess Half Marathon - List of all the individual race dates for both weekends.
- Happy 50th anniversary to it's a small world! - it's a small world opened at the New York World's Fair on April 22, 1964.
- Blog - Review: Epcot After Hours Wind Down
- Registration opens for the 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon - Registration spots for the races fill up quickly. If you know for sure you want to participate in one of the events, we recommend you register as soon as possible.
- Happy 16th anniversary to Disney's Animal Kingdom - Disney's Animal Kingdom opened on April 22, 1998 - Earth Day.
- Thinking about booking your trip with a travel agent? - Why it's important to book with a travel agent that specializes in Disney vacations.
- Anna and Elsa meet and greet moves to Magic Kingdom today - These popular princesses will no longer be seen in Epcot's Norway pavilion.
- Planning to be at Disney World on Easter? - List of church services, dinners and special activities taking place at Walt Disney World on Easter.
- Blog - Ranking our 5 Senses in Disney's Theme Parks
- Spots still available at Tables in Wonderland event on April 19 - This buffet will bring Tables in Wonderland members together during the Festival for dinner and drinks, then you will head to the Flower Power Concert series to hear the sounds of The Grass Roots.
- Menu items for Epcot After Hours Wind Down - Tickets, which can be reserved in advance, include one beverage and a selection of light snacks.
- Rehabs planned for two of Disney's golf courses - Disney's Magnolia Golf Course and Disney's Oak Trail Golf Course will be closed 5/21 - 6/4/2014.
- Guests at the Swan and Dolphin can now book their FastPass+ 60 days in advance - Onsite resort guests and guests at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin can make FastPass+ reservations up to 60 days in advance. Annual Passholders and offsite guests can make their reservations up to 30 days in advance.
- Blog - Actors Fund Gala Tickets Honoring Disney Theatricals on Sale Now
- Changes to Earl of Sandwich menu - Prices have increased by about 50 cents per sandwich. New sandwiches have been added and others have been removed.
- Epcot After Hours Wind Down lounges to be available - Stick around after IllumiNations for an evening at one of 4 exclusive lounges featuring food and beverages from award-winning Epcot chefs and sommeliers.
- Annual passholders can save up to 35% on WDW hotels, plus get free Memory Maker photos! - Guests will save up to 35% on their room, plus get free Memory Maker digital photos. Discount is valid for travel between 6/16/14 - 8/2/14.
- Blog - VIDEO: Disney reveals first look at animatronics and scenes inside Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- Meet the Easter Bunny at the Magic Kingdom April 13-20 - The Easter Bunny will also have a special pre-parade appearance on 4/19 and 4/20/14. He will be joined by other springtime characters, dancers and the Azalea Trail Maids.
- Carbon-Freeze Me experience at Star Wars Weekends to offer X-Wing Pilots and more - In addition to the carbonite figure, last year's Stormtrooper will be available, as well as two new figurines - an Alderaan Princess and X-Wing Pilot.
- Blog - Third Annual Easter Egg Display at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- Easter activities and special dining menus at Walt Disney World resorts - List of events planned at Walt Disney World resorts.
- Blog - Disney Infinity Teases Marvel & Confirms Version 2.0
- October 2014 Walt Disney World park hours released - List of times for parades, fireworks, and park hours.
- Blog - What To Expect When You're...Cruising with Disney and a Baby: Part 2
- Big Thunder Mountain closed for 2 days for rehab - The attraction will be closed 4/7-4/9/14.
- Surprising your family with a trip to Disney? Check out our tips! - Surprising the kids with a Disney vacation is part of the thrill for some parents. Others would love to do it, but aren’t sure how to pull it off. Here are some different approaches to creating that special surprise for your family!
- Blog - New Lawsuit Attacks Disney’s New Disability Access Service
- VIDEO: Illuminations Sparkling Dessert Party at Epcot - Enjoy a special fireworks viewing area and desserts from around World Showcase paired with sparkling wines.
- Tables in Wonderland event at Golden Oak's Markham's restaurant - For this special evening, guests will dine at the exclusive Markham's restaurant at Disney's Golden Oak Club, Walt Disney World's private residential community.
- Blog - Review: Epcot's new IllumiNations Sparkling Dessert Party
- Blog - Review: Epcot Gardens of the World Tour
- Dates announced for Sounds Like Summer Concert series - The Sounds Like Summer Concert Series features some of the greatest tribute bands rockin' to U2, The Bee Gees, the Eagles and many more during select nights from June to July.
- Night of Joy tickets now on sale - Disney's Night of Joy features contemporary Christian performers. The star-studded lineup is always outstanding and features a host of Dove Award and Grammy Award winning artists.
- Blog - DVC Owner To File Class Action Demanding More FastPass+ Experiences
- Blog - Walt Disney World is now selling MagicBands to Offsite Day Guests
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - World Showcase - The American Adventure - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at World Showcase - The American Adventure, February 12, 2014 - Afternoon.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - World Showcase - Italy - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at World Showcase - Italy, February 12, 2014 - Afternoon
- Parking prices increase at Walt Disney World - Prices have increased $2 for each category.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Echo Lake - Academy Hall of Fame - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Echo Lake - Academy Hall of Fame, February 12, 2014 - Morning
- Cirque du Soleil discount offered for Tables in Wonderland members - Discounted tickets are available for performances April 1-May 10 and May 27-June 28, 2014.
- Tables in Wonderland Flower and Garden Festival Special Dining Event - This buffet will bring Tables in Wonderland members together during the Festival for dinner and drinks, then you will head to the Flower Power Concert series to hear the sounds of The Grass Roots.
- Fittipaldi Cup racing event planned for Walt Disney World Speedway - The Exotic Driving Experience and 2014 Rolex 24 winner Christian Fittipaldi are putting on a half-day racing event at the Walt Disney World Speedway.
- Grand Floridian hosts Edible Easter Egg Display - This is the third year the resort has hosted the display of hand-painted edible Easter eggs; the eggs are 16 to 20 inches tall.
- Star Wars-themed character meals at Hollywood Studios! - For a limited time, guests will have the opportunity to dine with Star Wars characters or Disney characters dressed up in their Star Wars costumes.
- New 2015 Disney Crusie Line Destinations - Disney Cruise Line has added new destinations for 2015! For the first time, the Disney Magic will set sail for Northern Europe, visiting the Norwegian fjords, Iceland and the Faroe Islands. Seven- and nine-night sailings will depart from Copenhagen, Denmark and will immerse guests in the Viking history of this mystical land, which served as the backdrop for Disney's blockbuster film Frozen. Sail past mountains, glaciers, geysers and fjords and stop in port cities reminiscent of storybook villages.
- Kouzzina by Cat Cora to close September 30 - A new restaurant will open in its place this fall.
- Blog - Saying Farewell to Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade at Animal Kingdom
- Blog - The Dream of Retiring to Central Florida
- Egg-stravaganza Easter egg hunt planned for Epcot - Search for special hidden Disney character "eggs" at Epcot.
- Blog - Review: “Muppets Most Wanted” Now Touring Worldwide and in Theaters!
- Blog - Five Reasons You Should Go See 'Muppets Most Wanted' This Weekend
- Mark Hamill - Luke Skywalker - will be attending Star Wars Weekends! - This will be the actor's first appearance at Star Wars Weekends.
- PEEPS-themed Easter events planned for the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin - The resort will be celebrating a PEEPtastic week 4/16 - 4/20/14.
- Brunch planned to debut new Disney Collection by Vera Bradley design - "Mickey's Perfect Petals" will be showcased at the brunch and will be available for purchase.
- Blog - New Frozen Merchandise at Disney Parks
- Extended preview of Maleficent film at Disney's Hollywood Studios - The upcoming Maleficent film, starring Angelina Jolie, opens in theaters May 30. Theme park guests can see an extended preview of the film beginning April 18 and running through mid-June.
- Food Truck Park to open at Downtown Disney - The Food Truck Park is currently under construction and should open this summer between Bongos and Starbucks.
- Blog - Review: Disney's 'Saving Mr. Banks' Now Available On Blu-ray, DVD, & Digital Download
- Blog - Review: "Frozen" Blu-ray Hits Shelves
- Blog - Top 10 Reasons Why March 18th Is The Best Day Ever For Disney Fans
- First quarter earnings for Universal Orlando
- Cell phone charging stations added to Magic Kingdom
- Today Show to film at Universal Orlando on Friday
- James Cameron pleased with Disney's Avatar Land design
- Disney one of the world's most disappointing destinations?
- Universal Orlando painters sent to hospital
- Kickstarter campaign hopes to raise money for "Dark Side of Disney" film
- Disney plans four Star Wars children's books
- SeaWorld Orlando offers summer camps for kids
- Walt Disney World offers new contract to unions