Wolfgang Puck Café
Review by Kevin Klose
There are three versions of Wolfgang Puck at Walt Disney World.
There are two Wolfgang Puck Express restaurants. One is next to the Days of Christmas store in the Marketplace and one is across from the Virgin Megastore Disney’s West Side.
Next to the West Side location is the Wolfgang Puck Café and then just plain old Wolfgang Puck (the most expensive of the three) is upstairs over that.
Confused? I’ll try to help out.
This review will discuss the Wolfgang Puck Café located between the House of Blues and Bongos Cuban Café. This is not the Express “grab and go” fast food location and not the fanciest of the three although, you would never guess that from the demeanor of the folks that greet you.
We made an advanced dining reservation for 4:30pm on a Friday afternoon. The reservation was for 4 people. Between making the reservation and actually arriving, we asked a 5th person to join us.
Upon arriving (on time) at the restaurant, we inquired as to whether there would be an issue accommodating an additional guest. After much conferencing between the four people standing behind the podium, it was decided that it would be ok that all 5 of us dined.
A seating person (not one of the original 4 tribunal) showed us to our table. Please note that although this building was built in the era of mandated handicapped accessibility, those in wheelchairs (and the companions) must navigate behind the dessert counter, under the main staircase and through part of the prep area, excusing yourself and apologizing all the way to those attempting to get ready for dinner.
Our less than talkative “seater” did not mention this, we just sort of stumbled upon it after realizing that there are three stairs down to the main dining room.
Upon arriving at our table, we found that we were being seated at a table for four with an additional chair wedged between the table and a wall. This table was also located between two of only four occupied tables in the almost empty restaurant. Even if we had remained a party of four, this table was inadequate. I asked our “not friendly” seater if we could move to a larger table. After rolling his eyes, he mumbled that he would check.
I followed him to the podium where he whispered to the tribunal and then one of them (stating that he was the manager) approached me stating that he had chosen this table specifically for us. I explained that we were big folks and had a wheel chair and that we wouldn’t fit at this table to which he replied “Well, you were the one that decided to bring someone else. Your reservation was for 4 and not 5.” I asked nicely if he realized that his restaurant was 95% empty and he told me that these tables were reserved for people that “knew how many people were going to be dining.” I politely told him we were leaving and he told me that was fine. One of the cooler heads in our group talked to him and asked if we were being punished for bringing an additional person. After sucking his teeth and rolling his eyes, he stated that he needed to rearrange things but that we could have a larger table.. He handed an additional menu to the mute “seater” and we were finally sat a larger table in a still nearly empty restaurant.
On to the rest of the experience,…
We ordered appetizers which range from approximately $10.00 to $15.00 per order. We tried the Asian Style Vegetable Spring Rolls ($9.95). which is two spring rolls cut in half, the Truffle – Maytag Blue Kettle Chips ($9.95) which are potato chips with bleu cheese and truffle oil, a cheese pizza (personal size for $11.95), the Butternut Squash soup ($6.95) and a sushi special (14/95).
The appetizers were tasty, but ridiculously overpriced for the quality and amount of food that we received.
For our entrees, which range from $17 – 28.00, we tried the Meatloaf (2 at $17.95), the Spicy Chicken Penne ($17.95), the Roasted Whole Chicken ($18.95) and an Iron Steak Special ($23.95).
Of the entrees, the only one deemed worth the time or the price was the whole roasted chicken. It was tender and juicy and plentiful. This could easily be shared by two (or more) people. The Iron Steak special was deemed tasteless. The two meatloaf entrees were described as having unusual texture and the Spicy Chicken Penne was “HOT” but bland. The only flavor was derived from the heat.
We also tried three deserts which are all $7.95. We had the Vanilla Crème Brulee, the Classic Carrot Cake and the Double Chocolate Mud Pie. All were described good…but not thrilling.
Our check for 5 people was $190.00. The Wolfgang Puck Café does not accept the Disney Dining Experience any longer.
I usually devote much more attention to the actual food in most restaurants but in this case the pretentiousness of our getting a table marred the entire experience. This is a loud boisterous restaurant that in my opinion is placing far too much relevance on a celebrity chef’s name and reputation.
This is Disney World folks…not New York City or Los Angeles. Folks are looking for a good dining experience…not fake snobbery.
By the way….there were empty tables available right up until our departure.
- Blog - Polynesian Village Resort at Walt Disney World debuts new lobby
- Perfectly Prepared Princess Package available at Ivy Trellis Salon - From January 8, 2015 through March, young princesses can get a princess hairdo, glitter and tiara for $50 and add princess makeup for $25. For $90, choose hair, makeup and manicure.
- Take a Break From the Wait: Minimal Wait Times In The Magic Kingdom
- (Really) Running around in Walt Disney World
- Haunted Mansion reopens after refurb - The attraction has been closed since the beginning of the month.
- 3 Must-See Character Spots That You Might Have Missed - Today, we will look specifically at 3 Character Meet & Greets that we were completely unaware of and that absolutely made our trip.
- STK Orlando to open at Disney Springs, plus other retailers apply - STK will open in 2015.
- Blog - Christmas by the Numbers at Walt Disney World
- Trattoria al Forno now open at Disney's BoardWalk - This Italian restaurant has opened in the space vacated by Kouzzina by Cat Cora.
- Disney World for College Students: The Spring Break Alternative - When one thinks of Walt Disney World they often think of a place fit for families and little kids and while that is true the allure is for many more. It is certainly not a Spring Breakers-esque destination for college kids but, it can be a great time for all who want to go.
- 4 Reasons Why Tomorrowland Needs Change
- Traveling with kids Part 2 - Bites - Anyone who has traveled with kids knows how important it is to keep them well-fed and hydrated. Actually, that's just a good rule in general...
- Registration now open for the 2015 Expedition Everest Challenge - This event will be held 5/1-5/2/15.
- How Magically Sluggish WiFi Made My Disney Experience Perfect
- Woman dead after car collides with Disney bus - A Windermere, FL, woman is dead after her car collided with a Disney bus.
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party sold out on December 16 - The only available date remaining is December 18.
- Do You Remember the First Time? - I still have very clear memories about my first visit all those years ago. It was 1980, and even though I only spent two days in the Magic Kingdom, as that was the only park to visit, something about the experience clearly resonated deeply with me.
- Information and artist renderings of new Polynesian DVC property - There will be 20 Bungalows and 360 Deluxe Studios.
- Beginning 3/8/15, characters will be at Tusker House dinners - Reservations are now available.
- Aulani plans Christmas festivities - There will be seasonal crafts, movie nights, Christmas dinner and a Holiday Starlit Hui.
- Traveling With Kids Part 1 - Boredom - In this article, Iíll specifically talk about Boredom and some ways to keep the kids entertained while you travel.
- Itinerary change for 12/19/15 Disney Fantasy sailing - This sailing will visit Tortola instead of St. Maarten.
- One Band's Dream | Why Walt would have loved the idea of Magic Bands and FastPass+ - I tend to give Disney the benefit of the doubt in most cases. I want to think that Walt's grand idea of a magical place for families to come and enjoy is still the driving force behind the company. When listening to responses to Fast Pass+ and Magic Bands however, that doesn't seem to be a popular viewpoint. So I am going to come to the defense of these programs and try and offer a slightly more optimistic point of view.
- Purchase tickets directly through My Disney Experience app - Guests can now purchase tickets directly through My Disney Experience. Tickets can be 1-10 days, either one-park or park hoppers. Tickets can be assigned to existing Family and Friends and then Fastpass+ reservations can be made.
- What to Expect When You're Expecting... at Disney - There are many reasons a woman might find herself on a Disney parks vacation while pregnant. Maybe an older child is celebrating a big birthday. Maybe itís a family reunion. Maybe this trip was planned well in advance and now youíre facing it with a happy bundle of joy on the way.
- Blog - Frozen Welcomes the Hour of Code
- "The Taste of Hollywood Winter Holiday Grab n Go" boxed meals offered at Hollywood Studios - These are available from 12/24-12/31 and include reserved seating for Fantasmic.
- Update on check-in times for Tomorrowland Terrace Fireworks Dessert Party - If your reservation is between 6:00 and 6:20pm, you should check in one hour before the fireworks.
- Exposition Park, home to the Disney food trucks, opens at Downtown Disney - This area is located between Bongo's Cuban Cafe and Starbucks.
- Memory Maker pre-purchase price raised to $169 - The price was previously $149.
- Character meals planned for Star Wars Weekends - The Jedi Mickey's Star Wars Dine and the Star Wars Galactic Dine-In Breakfast are back for the second year.
- The Paul McKenna Band joins entertainment at United Kingdom Pavilion - The 4-piece acoustic folk band will perform several times daily.
- Dates announced for 2015 Star Wars Weekends - The event will be held Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, May 15 - June 14, 2015
- December merchandise events at Walt Disney World - Meet Disney artists for signings and appearances around Walt Disney World.
- runDisney reveals medals for Princess Half Marathon Weekend - This event will be held 2/19/15 - 2/22/15.
- Blog - Peter Pan's Flight's new queue opens at Magic Kingdom
- Tangled Tributes - Kingdom Crossing at the Magic Kingdom - I've been through here many times, but after watching the movie so many times recently, I was really struck by all the details here in the theming. There are so many little nods to the film that most guests probably just walk right by.
- Candlelight Processional begins tonight with narrator Jodi Benson - The Candlelight Processional takes place November 28 - December 30, 2014.
- Blog - Vintage Christmas Merchandise at Walt Disney World
- VIDEO: 2014 Walt Disney World Holiday Showcase - Join JeniLynn Knopp of the DIS Unplugged as she speaks with Steven Miller about holiday merchandise and shopping, Robert Hargrove and Santa Stitch about holiday entertainment, and Flash, Garland and The Boss about decorating Walt Disney World!
- 3 Surprising Things About Working at Mission: SPACE - Hereís a few of the things I learned about the attraction and about being a cast member at Mission: SPACE.
- Blog - A Weekend at Give Kids the World Village
- Christmas Eve dinner available for Disney Vacation Club members - The dinner will include a buffet, Christmas carolers and photo ops with Mickey and Minnie.
- Walt Disney World New Year's Eve dining information - Many of the restaurants will offer special meals or dining events to celebrate the holiday.
- Discounts and payment plans available at Walt Disney World Speedway - Several of the driving experiences are available with a discount through the holidays.
- Epcot's Canadian Lumberjack show on hiatus - The show will resume 1/4/15.
- Play nine holes of golf at Disney for just $29 - Play 9 holes at the Disney golf courses starting anytime between 7:00 and 8:30am for just $29.
- Details for 2015 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - Anna and Elsa topiaries will be on display at World Showcase Plaza.
- Epcot's Spice Road Table now accepts reservations - Reservations are available beginning December 2.
- The Comedy Warehouse Holiday Special to return to Hollywood Studios - This improvisational comedy show will return to the Premier Theater at Hollywood Studios from December 21, 2014 - January 4, 2015.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Magic Kingdom Hub - Cinderella Castle - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Magic Kingdom Hub - Cinderella Castle
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - The Diamond Horseshoe Balcony - The Diamond Horseshoe - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at The Diamond Horseshoe Balcony - The Diamond Horseshoe
- Save up to 30% on a stay at Aulani - Discount is available most nights 4/6 - 6/15/15.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Bay Lake Tower 15th Floor - Magic Kingdom - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Bay Lake Tower 15th Floor - Magic Kingdom
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party sold out on November 20 - There are still many MVMCP dates available.
- Plan B Character Dining at Walt Disney World - If youíre looking to make a reservation for a character meal and canít get one, weíve got a couple of suggestions for places you may not have thought of.
- Blizzard Beach to be closed November 17 due to cold temperatures - Typhoon Lagoon is already closed for its annual refurbishment.
- Top 5(+) things that are better at Walt Disney World than at Disneyland - Bigger may not always be better, but isn't always worse either. I can't resist countering with an article that lists, in my view, the things that are better at Walt Disney World.
- Guests meeting Santa at Downtown Disney have new notification option - Guests will get pagers if the wait exceeds 30 minutes (or they can choose to receive a text message instead). When their pager goes off and they return to Santa's Chalet, they will have about a 20 minute wait.
- Disney Visa cardholders get a special gift when taking advantage of Aulani discount - When booking the 4th night free offer, Disney Visa cardholders will also receive a special Welcome Gift at check-in with specialty items and signature Aulani merchandise ($98 value).
- SeaWorld lays off Clyde & Seamore mimes, among others
- Man sentenced to 5 years for Disney ticket scam
- Club 33 members upset about more changes to benefits
- Iger says future Star Wars attractions to be based on new films
- SeaWorld's CEO steps down
- Man sues SeaWorld for automatically renewing his annual pass
- Retirement date set for Disney's Meg Crofton
- Woman sues Disney, claiming disability after falling from carousel horse
- Hotel leadership changes at Walt Disney World
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer released