Yak and Yeti Review
By Kevin Klose
There is a new full service restaurant in Disney’s Animal Kingdom. It is located in the Asia section of the park and is named Anandapur Yak and Yeti Restaurant.
The theme-ing meshes nicely with the area around Expedition Everest and goes a long way in rounding out that area of the park.
The two story restaurant sits adjacent to the Kali River Rapids and also offers an outdoor counter service area as well. The indoor area of the restaurant seats 250 guests on two floors. The dining rooms are divided into smaller sections so you don’t get that “mess hall” feeling. The upstairs is serviced by a beautiful staircase but is also fully accessible by elevator. The outdoor counter service area seats 350 according to a supervisor we spoke with.
While we dined downstairs, I am told that the daily Animal Kingdom Parade can be seen from the window seats upstairs. I can imagine that these seats will be covetedespecially during the very warm summer months.
As we have come to expect from Disney, this restaurant is very well themed and decorated. You can see the time and planning that went into executing the décor. This restaurant is surprisingly sedate compared to other venues operated by the Landry Company. (i.e. Rainforest Café) There are no animatronic Yaks or Yetis to be found.
The restaurant is currently in a “soft opening” phase and just opened their doors to the paying public on 11/14/2007. They are not accepting reservations until January 3rd, 2008 and will only accept walk-ups until then.
The food selection offered is a pan-Asian sampling with strong Americanized bent. ( full menu )
The appetizers garnered rave reviews, even from the less adventurous eaters. It seemed that we hit the right combination and found something for everyone. I would tell you if one stood out but all were delicious. The only negative, and it’s not really a negative but more a matter of personal taste, were with the lettuce cups. The ingredients were delicious, but the lettuce seemed to get in the way.
After we received our appetizers, we ordered our entrees. As we had ordered a number of appetizers, we decided to share three entrees for four people. We tried the Crispy Honey Chicken ($15.99), the Baby Back Ribs ($22.99) and the Pho ($16.99).
Where the appetizers got rave reviews, the entrees were deemed good, except for the Pho. This dish carried the following description:
Pho - Lemon grass-scented broth, poached shrimp, rice noodles, and traditional Vietnamese garnishes.
Maybe I’m not as adventurous an eater as I have always thought but we found this to be truly bad. The traditional Vietnamese garnishes included a bowl of fish oil. This was new to me and the smell was so strong and unpleasant that we asked something I have never asked before in a restaurant. I asked that this entrée be removed from the table.
I have to commend the staff. This was done without fanfare and I was offered a new entrée. I apologized for not liking the dish and offered to pay for it as it was my error in ordering it, but it was replaced with out charge. Our server did note that this entrée was not proving to be well liked, so I am guessing that I might not have been the first to have this reaction.
My entrée of choice was the Maple Tamarind Chicken ($17.99) which was far more successful.
While all of our entrees were tasty, none had the wow factor of the appetizers.
About the highest compliment I can give this new restaurant is that everyone in our party had no trouble deciding what we would order on our next visit.
We finished our meal by sharing one dessert. We tried the Fried Wontons (7.99). This consists of fried wontons filled with cream cheese on a skewer with grilled pineapple and served with a vanilla sauce and a bowl of vanilla ice cream. It was a nice sweet ending to a good meal.
The restaurant does not currently accept the Disney Dining Experience but is considering it. It does accept the Disney Dining Plan..
For an establishment that has been open for less than one full week, I must commend the staff and management. It seemed that everyone had been well trained and were eager to please.
Other than the mis-step with one entrée (and that was my fault) it turned out to be an experience I’d recommend.
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
- PBS plans Walt Disney biopic
- Release date set for 5th Pirates of the Caribbean film
- Man arrested at Typhoon Lagoon for molesting 4 teenage girls
- Standby line to be cut off in Anna and Elsa meet and greet
- Disney's second quarter injury report: 12-year-old boy cuts fingers on Pirates ride
- 30 years in prison for man who molested girl at SeaWorld
- Possible agreement reached between Disney and unions
- Disney's CEO Bob Iger honored as CEO of the Year by Chief Executive magazine
- Trattoria al Forno to replace Cat Cora's Kouzzina at Disney World
- Technical glitch causes Universal's Transformers ride to stall