Chef’s De France Review
by Kevin Klose - 12/18/07
We received a “spur of the moment” invitation to go to the Candlelight Processional and see Chita Rivera. (She did an awesome job)
It was decided that we would make an afternoon of this and have dinner at Epcot. We did not have a Candlelight Processional dinner package (that’s for Christmas Eve) but rather, we just made an ADR for a couple hours prior to the show.
We arrived at the France pavilion at the appropriate time and were told it would be just a few moments.
As anyone who has read one of my reviews knows, we often travel with a person in a wheelchair. I had told the Cast Member making the ADR about this and she told me she noted it on the reservation. It was readily apparent upon approaching the podium that we had a wheelchair in our party.
Once inside the building, there is a phalanx of Cast Members all dressed in black and standing with their hands behind their back. It was with this group that the wheelchair seemed to inspire 30 or 40 seconds of French stage whispering and discussion. Now, all that remains of my high school French is the ability state that it’s hard to find domestic help and to inquire as to the whereabouts of Sylvie but I could tell that we were the topic du jour.
After much discussion we were shown to our seat and in my mind it was one of the very best tables in the restaurant. We were off to the side in the smaller room overlooking the fountain, the International Gateway and France’s Santa, Pere noel, talking to a group of kids. We were right in the corner and were very comfortable with our table and location. I am not sure what the stage whispering was about but if this was the outcome…we were thrilled.
Prior to our waiter approaching our table, we enjoyed his attempt to try and discern whether a group seated directly behind to us had the Disney Dining Plan. I’m not sure they understood him or if he understood them but it was clear that they had Candlelight Dinner Package but they never used those words. They kept trying to explain that they could have anything on the menu. The waiter finally resorted to asking if “they were sleeping in a Disney hotel?” (this is much funnier if I use my fractured French imitation…but it doesn’t really translate to the written word)
With this under control, we met our waiter. He seemed a bit distant at first but quickly warmed up and was absolutely charming. I’d share his name but if you are reading this, he is on his way home to France, as his time in Epcot is done.
Dinner started with three soups. Two of us chose the Soupe a l’oignon gratinee ($5.95 Onion Soup) and one of us had the Bisque de homard ($6.25 Lobster Bisque).
The soups are served with wonder, crispy French rolls and butter. When asked if the soups were served with bread our waiter responded almost incredulously…”of course…this is France.” It was a funny line delivered in just the right tone.
The soups were delicious and everyone was happy with their choice. The onion soup is served traditionally with a healthy dose of tender cooked onions and gruyere cheese on top of a slice of French roll and the bisque was creamy and rich with small tidbits of lobster.
When it came time to order dinner, our waiter suggested that we consider a special entrée called “The French Menu”. This is their three most popular menu items grouped and specially priced. It consists of the Onion soup, Demi poulet fermier roti pommes puree au basilica braise (Half of a natural roasted chicken, basil mashed potatoes and braised tomato) and crème brulee. The price is $32.95 and is available until 7:00pm. There are no substitutions. If the items are going to be ordered separately, this works out to be a better deal as the items separately total approximately $38.00.
We went ahead and order that and also the Plat de cote de beouf au cabernet et polenta de Savoie ( $26.95 Beef short ribs braised in Cabernet wine on a bed of polenta) and the Gratin de macaroni (17.95 Baked macaroni with cream and gruyere cheese)
Of the three entrees ordered, the clear winners were the beef short ribs and the baked chicken. Both were deemed “positively delicious”. The beef ribs were tender and infused with a deep wine flavor. The chicken was a large portion which was tender and juicy. The basil mashed potatoes could have been warmer but had a deep rich buttery flavor with a hint of basil. Both were stand out dishes.
The baked macaroni and cheese was less successful. I think this was more because I was expecting a more Americanized dish. This was large pasta tubes cooked in a cream sauce and then baked with a layer of gruyere on top. The dish was very, very rich and filling but if you have your heart set on something more traditional, then you might be disappointed. Please understand, it wasn’t bad, just not what I was expecting. A portion of this entrée was left behind. The other two plates were sent back empty.
Dinner was followed by two cappuccinos (some of the best coffee on Disney property) and the included crème brulee from “The French Menu” entrée.
The restaurant has a cute kids menu which when folded in a certain way can be worn as a chef’s hat like in Ratatouille. We watched one youngster get the mini burger entrée with envy. It looked terrific.
Dinner for the three of us was approximately $94.00 and after using the Disney Dining Experience card, it came to approximately $75.00.
I can state without hesitation that this was one of the best meals we have had in Epcot in quite a while and will go back soon and next time, I’m getting the beef dish. J
- Blog - Polynesian Village Resort at Walt Disney World debuts new lobby
- Perfectly Prepared Princess Package available at Ivy Trellis Salon - From January 8, 2015 through March, young princesses can get a princess hairdo, glitter and tiara for $50 and add princess makeup for $25. For $90, choose hair, makeup and manicure.
- Take a Break From the Wait: Minimal Wait Times In The Magic Kingdom
- (Really) Running around in Walt Disney World
- Haunted Mansion reopens after refurb - The attraction has been closed since the beginning of the month.
- 3 Must-See Character Spots That You Might Have Missed - Today, we will look specifically at 3 Character Meet & Greets that we were completely unaware of and that absolutely made our trip.
- STK Orlando to open at Disney Springs, plus other retailers apply - STK will open in 2015.
- Blog - Christmas by the Numbers at Walt Disney World
- Trattoria al Forno now open at Disney's BoardWalk - This Italian restaurant has opened in the space vacated by Kouzzina by Cat Cora.
- Disney World for College Students: The Spring Break Alternative - When one thinks of Walt Disney World they often think of a place fit for families and little kids and while that is true the allure is for many more. It is certainly not a Spring Breakers-esque destination for college kids but, it can be a great time for all who want to go.
- 4 Reasons Why Tomorrowland Needs Change
- Traveling with kids Part 2 - Bites - Anyone who has traveled with kids knows how important it is to keep them well-fed and hydrated. Actually, that's just a good rule in general...
- Registration now open for the 2015 Expedition Everest Challenge - This event will be held 5/1-5/2/15.
- How Magically Sluggish WiFi Made My Disney Experience Perfect
- Woman dead after car collides with Disney bus - A Windermere, FL, woman is dead after her car collided with a Disney bus.
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party sold out on December 16 - The only available date remaining is December 18.
- Do You Remember the First Time? - I still have very clear memories about my first visit all those years ago. It was 1980, and even though I only spent two days in the Magic Kingdom, as that was the only park to visit, something about the experience clearly resonated deeply with me.
- Information and artist renderings of new Polynesian DVC property - There will be 20 Bungalows and 360 Deluxe Studios.
- Beginning 3/8/15, characters will be at Tusker House dinners - Reservations are now available.
- Aulani plans Christmas festivities - There will be seasonal crafts, movie nights, Christmas dinner and a Holiday Starlit Hui.
- Traveling With Kids Part 1 - Boredom - In this article, Iíll specifically talk about Boredom and some ways to keep the kids entertained while you travel.
- Itinerary change for 12/19/15 Disney Fantasy sailing - This sailing will visit Tortola instead of St. Maarten.
- One Band's Dream | Why Walt would have loved the idea of Magic Bands and FastPass+ - I tend to give Disney the benefit of the doubt in most cases. I want to think that Walt's grand idea of a magical place for families to come and enjoy is still the driving force behind the company. When listening to responses to Fast Pass+ and Magic Bands however, that doesn't seem to be a popular viewpoint. So I am going to come to the defense of these programs and try and offer a slightly more optimistic point of view.
- Purchase tickets directly through My Disney Experience app - Guests can now purchase tickets directly through My Disney Experience. Tickets can be 1-10 days, either one-park or park hoppers. Tickets can be assigned to existing Family and Friends and then Fastpass+ reservations can be made.
- What to Expect When You're Expecting... at Disney - There are many reasons a woman might find herself on a Disney parks vacation while pregnant. Maybe an older child is celebrating a big birthday. Maybe itís a family reunion. Maybe this trip was planned well in advance and now youíre facing it with a happy bundle of joy on the way.
- Blog - Frozen Welcomes the Hour of Code
- "The Taste of Hollywood Winter Holiday Grab n Go" boxed meals offered at Hollywood Studios - These are available from 12/24-12/31 and include reserved seating for Fantasmic.
- Update on check-in times for Tomorrowland Terrace Fireworks Dessert Party - If your reservation is between 6:00 and 6:20pm, you should check in one hour before the fireworks.
- Exposition Park, home to the Disney food trucks, opens at Downtown Disney - This area is located between Bongo's Cuban Cafe and Starbucks.
- Memory Maker pre-purchase price raised to $169 - The price was previously $149.
- Character meals planned for Star Wars Weekends - The Jedi Mickey's Star Wars Dine and the Star Wars Galactic Dine-In Breakfast are back for the second year.
- The Paul McKenna Band joins entertainment at United Kingdom Pavilion - The 4-piece acoustic folk band will perform several times daily.
- Dates announced for 2015 Star Wars Weekends - The event will be held Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, May 15 - June 14, 2015
- December merchandise events at Walt Disney World - Meet Disney artists for signings and appearances around Walt Disney World.
- runDisney reveals medals for Princess Half Marathon Weekend - This event will be held 2/19/15 - 2/22/15.
- Blog - Peter Pan's Flight's new queue opens at Magic Kingdom
- Tangled Tributes - Kingdom Crossing at the Magic Kingdom - I've been through here many times, but after watching the movie so many times recently, I was really struck by all the details here in the theming. There are so many little nods to the film that most guests probably just walk right by.
- Candlelight Processional begins tonight with narrator Jodi Benson - The Candlelight Processional takes place November 28 - December 30, 2014.
- Blog - Vintage Christmas Merchandise at Walt Disney World
- VIDEO: 2014 Walt Disney World Holiday Showcase - Join JeniLynn Knopp of the DIS Unplugged as she speaks with Steven Miller about holiday merchandise and shopping, Robert Hargrove and Santa Stitch about holiday entertainment, and Flash, Garland and The Boss about decorating Walt Disney World!
- 3 Surprising Things About Working at Mission: SPACE - Hereís a few of the things I learned about the attraction and about being a cast member at Mission: SPACE.
- Blog - A Weekend at Give Kids the World Village
- Christmas Eve dinner available for Disney Vacation Club members - The dinner will include a buffet, Christmas carolers and photo ops with Mickey and Minnie.
- Walt Disney World New Year's Eve dining information - Many of the restaurants will offer special meals or dining events to celebrate the holiday.
- Discounts and payment plans available at Walt Disney World Speedway - Several of the driving experiences are available with a discount through the holidays.
- Epcot's Canadian Lumberjack show on hiatus - The show will resume 1/4/15.
- Play nine holes of golf at Disney for just $29 - Play 9 holes at the Disney golf courses starting anytime between 7:00 and 8:30am for just $29.
- Details for 2015 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - Anna and Elsa topiaries will be on display at World Showcase Plaza.
- Epcot's Spice Road Table now accepts reservations - Reservations are available beginning December 2.
- The Comedy Warehouse Holiday Special to return to Hollywood Studios - This improvisational comedy show will return to the Premier Theater at Hollywood Studios from December 21, 2014 - January 4, 2015.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Magic Kingdom Hub - Cinderella Castle - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Magic Kingdom Hub - Cinderella Castle
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - The Diamond Horseshoe Balcony - The Diamond Horseshoe - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at The Diamond Horseshoe Balcony - The Diamond Horseshoe
- Save up to 30% on a stay at Aulani - Discount is available most nights 4/6 - 6/15/15.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Bay Lake Tower 15th Floor - Magic Kingdom - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Bay Lake Tower 15th Floor - Magic Kingdom
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party sold out on November 20 - There are still many MVMCP dates available.
- Plan B Character Dining at Walt Disney World - If youíre looking to make a reservation for a character meal and canít get one, weíve got a couple of suggestions for places you may not have thought of.
- Blizzard Beach to be closed November 17 due to cold temperatures - Typhoon Lagoon is already closed for its annual refurbishment.
- Top 5(+) things that are better at Walt Disney World than at Disneyland - Bigger may not always be better, but isn't always worse either. I can't resist countering with an article that lists, in my view, the things that are better at Walt Disney World.
- Guests meeting Santa at Downtown Disney have new notification option - Guests will get pagers if the wait exceeds 30 minutes (or they can choose to receive a text message instead). When their pager goes off and they return to Santa's Chalet, they will have about a 20 minute wait.
- Disney Visa cardholders get a special gift when taking advantage of Aulani discount - When booking the 4th night free offer, Disney Visa cardholders will also receive a special Welcome Gift at check-in with specialty items and signature Aulani merchandise ($98 value).
- SeaWorld lays off Clyde & Seamore mimes, among others
- Man sentenced to 5 years for Disney ticket scam
- Club 33 members upset about more changes to benefits
- Iger says future Star Wars attractions to be based on new films
- SeaWorld's CEO steps down
- Man sues SeaWorld for automatically renewing his annual pass
- Retirement date set for Disney's Meg Crofton
- Woman sues Disney, claiming disability after falling from carousel horse
- Hotel leadership changes at Walt Disney World
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer released