Coral Reef Restaurant Reviews at Epcot
Review by Kevin Klose - 4/09
I had been asked to re-visit and re-review The Coral Reef, one of the very first restaurants I reviewed for the DIS and DIS Unplugged Podcast. That visit turned into a debacle that is still discussed in certain circles We tried to approach our recent visit as if it were our first and not let past impressions color our experience. With that in mind, I tried to approach The Coral Reef as if this were my very first visit to Epcot. The Coral Reef is tucked behind the Living Seas pavilion and there is one small sign on the lawn across from the building to guide you in the right direction. There is also a small sign on the front of the restaurant. I don’t find the entrance to the Living Seas to be very welcoming. Other restaurants in Epcot have a host/hostess podium out front to answer questions, make ADRs and to handle check-in. The entrance of the Coral Reef is a set of rather gloomy looking dark glass doors. The podium is inside the restaurant.
The Cast Member that checked us in was very gracious and friendly and suggested that we take a seat while our table was being readied. After a few short minutes, we were shown to our table. I’m not sure why guests were being issued beepers or being asked to wait. There were several empty tables already prepped to accommodate guests. The restaurant itself is a three tiered room with all tables facing the floor to ceiling glass walls showcasing the Living Seas coral reef. Pretty much every table has a view of the reef.
As our ADR was for 2:30, we were given the lunch menu. It consists of 7 appetizers and 10 entrees. There is also a specialty drink menu on each table. The appetizers range in price from $6.99 for a mixed green salad to $16.99 for an appetizer for two which offers a sampling of three of the other apps. From this list, we choose the app for two, the Shrimp and Lobster Cake and a bowl of Curry Corn Chowder. The appetizer for two ($16.99) consists of two seared scallops on a bed of cauliflower foam with black truffle vinaigrette, two grilled shrimp with cucumber salad, one barbecued beef tenderloin with creamy polenta and two tiny demitasse cups of creamy lobster soup. The 2 small scallops were ok but I had a hard time with the cauliflower foam. It was more of a cauliflower spit and added nothing to the sweetness of the scallops. It looked unappealing and the scallops would have been more appetizing on their own. The 2 shrimp were grilled and sitting on shredded cucumber. Nothing wrong here….but nothing exciting either. The single piece of beef was approximately the size of an adults pinkie finger and served on a skewer over polenta. The barbecue sauce was very sweet. For 2 people sharing this app….this would be one quarter of an ounce of beef per person. The polenta was tasty. The final items were the two demitasse cups of lobster soup. You receive approximately one tablespoon of soup per person. It’s tasty but a ridiculously small portion. To sum this up….for $8.50 per person, you receive a scallop, a shrimp, a morsel of beef and a tablespoon of soup. While all of the items were edible and some even tasty….none were prepared with the finesse or talent to warrant this price.
We also tried the shrimp and lobster cake ($11.49) which is served over “Napa cabbage slaw with spicy Vietnamese vinaigrette”. This app was brought to the table “just out of the fridge” cold and we requested that we get a warm one. It’s my belief that they warmed up the one originally brought to the table. The two cakes were a mix of shrimp and lobster (mostly shrimp) with a small amount of filler. The cakes had a very oily feel to them and overly fishy taste. I believe they were cooked in an oil that was too heavy for such delicate flavors and the oil wasn’t hot enough which allowed the cakes to absorb too much. The overly fishy taste leads me to believe that they aren’t as fresh as they should be. On the other hand…the cabbage slaw was excellent with a slight cilantro flavor. This is feint praise for an app priced at $11.49.
The final app was the curry corn chowder ($6.99) served with applewood smoked bacon and coconut milk. This intrigued me as it stood out on a menu made up mostly of seafood dishes. I would have thought it was a nod to vegetarians, except for the inclusion of the bacon. The curry and coconut milk were too mild in my opinion. This soup would have been benefitted from a stronger flavor from both ingredients or to just be left as a decent corn chowder.
At this point, I should explain that when we began ordering the appetizers, I clearly explained to our server, that we wanted to wait to order our entrees. She assured me that we would be given ample time to enjoy our apps and have the dishes cleared prior to our entrees being delivered. I took her word for this. Needless to say, our apps and entrees arrived at the exact same moment. Leslie, to her credit, apologized profusely and explained that our apps took too long so everything was done at the same time. I explained that I didn’t want my entrée at the same time and they should be sent back. I also explained that I didn’t want our entrees “kept warm” but that I expected fresh new entrees prepared. Some might consider this to be a minor point, but any restaurant, no matter how busy, should be able to pace a meal, especially when charging exorbitant prices. This is poor timing and mismanagement or lack of communication in the kitchen. On to the re-delivered entrees... The Pan-Seared Tilapia ($20.99) is approximately 6 ounces of tilapia served over roasted white and green bean salad in tomato vinaigrette. The tilapia is a rather basic presentation of seared fish. We found that the addition of salt, pepper and some lemon gave it some much needed flavor. The fish is nothing special but the salad under the fish was delicious. It consisted of mixed greens, roasted white beans and skinny green beans (haricotvert) tossed in a tasty tomato dressing. The secondary part of this entrée elevated the main ingredient considerably. It almost made it worth $21.00.
The Lobster Salad ($20.99) didn’t fare as well. We received an “ice cream scoop sized” portion sitting on mixed greens with vinaigrette and a small bowl of lobster soup. The mixed greens were crisp and fresh. The soup (which I had already had a tablespoon of earlier) was good…..not great….not bad…..just good The lobster salad itself was dreadful. Two of us could not decide if it was lobster or tuna salad. I know it’s not really fare to compare a non-theme park restaurant to a Disney restaurant, but I go to a local restaurant that serves a lobster roll for $14.99. You know with each and every bite that you are eating lobster. There is no doubt as you can actually see the large chunks of tail meat. This is NOT the case with Coral Reef’s lobster salad. Without including the discussion of price, I am floored by the difference in quality. There was nothing in Coral Reef’s lobster salad that said to me “you are eating lobster”. It had the taste, color and consistency of tuna salad…and not the good, solid, white tuna. In addition, the menu lists this as being served on a toasted baguette. We received two small slices of bread that had been toasted at one time and then microwaved when the entrée was re-delivered after being refused the first time. This would have been evident to anyone that has ever made the mistake of microwaving bread and ended up with something akin to shoe leather.
There are 5 dessert options all priced at $7.99. From these, we chose the Chocolate Wave and the Baileys and Jack Daniels Mousse. Both desserts were good, but the mousse was our favorite. It was three layers of chocolaty goodness with a mild flavor. Very tasty.
I wish that the care and attention to detail that went into the cabbage slaw, bean salad and mousse dessert were applied to all aspects of the menu. Someone in the kitchen understands the need for flavor and freshness. They should be in charge. The cost for 3 apps, 2 entrees and 2 desserts was $99.75. Maybe some day someone will see the true potential of the Coral Reef and make it the destination restaurant it deserves to be. Until then…it remains a mediocre, over-priced, Disney disappointment.
- Cirque du Soleil dining package available - Purchase a ticket to the 6:00 performance of La Nouba and take advantage of this special package, which includes an entree, dessert and non-alcoholic beverage. The dinner package option is available at Wolfgang Puck Grand Cafe, Planet Hollywood and Splitsville Luxury Lanes.
- Rehab planned for Splash Mountain - The ride will be closed 1/4/2015 - 1/30/2015.
- "Disney's Behind the Magic of Our Steam Trains" tour will be closed this fall - This Magic Kingdom tour will be closed 9/29-11/7/14.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Sweet Spells - Sunset Boulevard - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Sweet Spells - Sunset Boulevard
- Carousel of Progress closes today for week-long rehab - The attraction will reopen on the 28th.
- A Guide to Drinking Around Epcot's World Showcase at Walt Disney World - One of the most popular things to do at Epcot’s World Showcase, you know aside from all that pesky learning and culture, is what’s called Drinking Around The World.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe - Sonny Eclipse - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe - Sonny Eclipse
- Festival of the Lion King celebrates 1 millionth guest in new theater - 1 million guests have attended the show since it opened in its new theater in June.
- Blog - Epcot's International Food & Wine Festival FAQ
- Prices for Epcot International Food & Wine Festival Marketplaces - This year's Festival runs from September 19 - November 10, 2014.
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train onboard videos and photos available with Memory Maker - After riding the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, a video and photos of the guest's ride will be added to their My Disney Experience account. These photos/video are only available to guests who have purchased Memory Maker.
- Planet Hollywood's outside merchandise location has closed - This is due to construction. Merchandise is still available inside the restaurant or at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
- Blog - Handbag Round Up: Dooney & Bourke, Vera Bradley, & LeSportsac
- Top 4 Best Thrill Rides At Walt Disney World According to You - The list below is the “final four” of a series of polls tournament bracket style from the DIS Unplugged Facebook page.
- VIDEO: Drinks Around The World Epcot - Corey, Shaun and Craig finish the Drinks Around The World series with the ultimate challenge – drinking around Epcot’s World Showcase!
- Blog - Looking for something to do before your cruise? Visit the Exploration Tower at Port Canaveral
- Chase Lounge will return to the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival - This lounge offers Chase cardholders a place to relax, enjoy complimentary beverages and charging stations for their electronics.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon registration re-opened - Runners can now have the chance to sign up for the 1/2 Marathon, the full Marathon and/or the Goofy Challenge as part of the Goofy Giveback.
- A Simple Guide to Planning Your First Walt Disney World Vacation - Planning a trip to Walt Disney World and don't know where to start? I've simplified the process by suggesting some decisions that need to be made before others.
- Blog - What to Expect at Disney's D23 Destination D Event this November
- New version of My Disney Experience app is available - Users can now check meet and greet wait times and view updated park maps. The method for linking park tickets and passes has also been improved.
- New Disney Vera Bradley pattern to be released September 19 - Disney Dreaming, the newest addition to the Disney Collection by Vera Bradley, will debut at Cherry Tree Lane in Downtown Disney's Marketplace Co-Op on September 19.
- Blog - Apple Pay is coming to the Walt Disney World Resort - What does it mean for the average Disney guest?
- Blog - Disney Opposes "Inflammatory" Amended Complaint in DAS Lawsuit
- Disney Cast Members - What is the one "tip" you can give us? - Don't have time to read a 89-page thread on the DISboards? We've summed up the highlights for you so you can find out cast members' best tips for guests!
- Blog - The Good and Bad of "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" on Blu-ray
- L'Artisan des Glaces in France Pavilion introduces Pumpkin Spice ice cream - Pumpkin spice ice cream and pumpkin spice macaron ice cream sandwiches are now available for the fall season.
- Food & Wine Festival's Late Nights LIVE! now only available on Thursdays - The new event at Epcot's International Food & Wine Festival was originally scheduled to be held every Tuesday and Thursday during the Festival, but will now just take place on Thursdays.
- Last day for Maelstrom will be October 5 - The new Frozen attraction is expected to open in early 2016.
- Ticket discounts available for Cirque du Soleil La Nouba - Discounted tickets must be purchased by 9/22/14.
- Blog - A Walking Tour of Disney's Polynesian Village Resort at Walt Disney World - Construction Update
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Crescent Lake Bridge - Crescent Lake - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Crescent Lake Bridge - Crescent Lake
- 5 Tips for Taking Better Photos at Walt Disney World - It’s a given fact that when you go on a Disney vacation you are going to take a ton of photos throughout your trip. Use these tips to make those photos the best they can be.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - New Fantasyland - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at New Fantasyland - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- 4 Ways to Make Magic for Other Guests at Walt Disney World - While visiting a Disney theme park, the Cast Members on the clock are tasked with doing their best to ‘make magic’ for as many Guests as possible. But, if you’re anything like my family, seeing others enjoy their time at a Disney park is sometimes just as satisfying as enjoying the parks yourselves.
- Crane now in place behind Cinderella Castle - The crane is now in place behind Cinderella Castle to install the Castle Dream Lights for the holiday season. The anticipated date for the crane removal is September 21.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Splash Mountain Bridge - Splash Mountain - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Splash Mountain Bridge - Splash Mountain
- Top 5 Hidden Gems at Disney's Animal Kingdom - Disney’s Animal Kingdom is crawling with hidden details and overlooked attractions that most people would just walk right past. But there is so much more if you are willing to take a few moments to stop and really look at your surroundings.
- Ride the Comix! closes at DisneyQuest - This attraction is now closed and will allow for an expansion of the FoodQuest seating area.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Japan Gallery - Spirited Beasts - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Japan Gallery - Spirited Beasts
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Club Cool - Fountain of Nations - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Club Cool - Fountain of Nations
- Disney Legend Tony Baxter added to D23 Destination D lineup - Baxter will present a panel featuring an in-depth tour of an expansion for Disneyland that never materialized.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Epcot Entrance - Leave A Legacy - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Epcot Entrance - Leave A Legacy
- Blog - Frustrated At Walt Disney World? "LET IT GO"
- Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue at Walt Disney World's Fort Wilderness Resort celebrates its 40th anniversary - The Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue marks its 40th anniversary after more than 37,000 dinner show performances at Disney's Fort Wilderness campground.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Capt. Cook's - Capt. Cook's Seating Area - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Capt. Cook's - Capt. Cook's Seating Area
- Night of Joy completely sold out at Magic Kingdom - This hard-ticket event features contemporary Christian artists in concert for two nights. This year's event is completely sold out.
- Harmony Barber Shop will close for a month for refurb - The Magic Kingdom shop will be closed from 2/2/15 - 3/30/15.
- Frozen Sing-Along added to FastPass+ choices at Hollywood Studios - This is a Tier 2 FastPass+ choice.
- Time change for internal boat service at Downtown Disney - The red route previously closed at 11:30pm. It will now run until 2:00am.
- VIDEO: 2014 Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party Overview - Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party is the yearly event that brings the spookiest holiday of them all to Magic Kingdom. This hard-ticket party allows guests to dress up in costumes, trick-or-treat throughout the park, and meet some characters in their costumes.
- Neil Patrick Harris, Isabella Rossellini and Blair Underwood added as Candlelight Processional narrators - There are still a few narrators left to be announced.
- VIDEO: Cruising Around Hawaii - Explore the Hawaiian islands of Maui, Hawai'i, and Kauai while sailing onboard Norwegians Cruise Line's Pride of America.
- VIDEO: Driving Around Oahu - Explore the island of Oahu by driving around to different unique locations. Ted's Bakery, Haleiwa, Matsumoto's Shave Ice, and many others make Oahu a great place to find local treasures.
- Blog - Back to School Disney Style: Great Merchandise Finds in the Parks
- Pricing structure changed for Valet Parking at Downtown Disney - Pricing is based on length of stay - time starts when you reach the valet podium and stops when you return to the podium to pick up your car.
- Blog - Top 5 Must Do's at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party
- Pangani Research Center closes for refurb - Pangani Research Center- Aviary and Hippo viewing area will be closed 9/2 - 11/14/2014.
- Blog - Villains Soiree - Wickedly Disappointing
- Blog - Dole Whips are back at the Polynesian Village Resort at the new and disappointing Pineapple Lanai
- Shortened monorail operating hours now in place - The monorail will have a different operating schedule than normal as an automation upgrade takes place.
- Blog - The Good and Bad of "Toy Story of TERROR!" on Blu-ray
- American Idol Experience is now closed at Disney's Hollywood Studios - This attraction closed August 30, 2014. No definitive plans have been announced for this space.
- VIDEO: Oogie Boogie's Freaky Funhouse Show at Villains Unleashed - Oogie Boogie's Freaky Funhouse Show at Villains Unleashed brings Vegas to Walt Disney World. Villains Unleashed took over Disney's Hollywood Studios on August 23, 2014 and part of the hard ticket event was Oogie Boogie's Freak Funhouse Show. Oogie Boogie hosts the show that features a sword-swallowing act, daredevil archery and a finale full of fire!
- Refurb closures planned for Walt Disney World water parks - Typhoon Lagoon will be closed 10/26/14-1/3/15 and Blizzard Beach will be closed 1/4/15-3/14/15.
- Top 5 Signature Dining Experiences at the Walt Disney World Resorts - 1,600 listeners and viewers of our DIS Unplugged web-cast voted on their favorite signature restaurants at the Walt Disney World resort hotels.
- Blog - The Top 5 Underutilized Spaces at Walt Disney World
- Starbucks will open at Hollywood Studios in February 2015 - The Trolley Car Cafe will be located along Hollywood Boulevard and be themed like a trolley car station. Disney baked goods and Starbucks La Boulange pastry items will be available. An exact location hasn't been announced.
- VIDEO - Frozen Fireworks Multi-Angle Full Show - “Frozen” Fireworks Spectacular – Everything wraps up at 9:45 p.m. when Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, and Olaf come together at the Sorcerer’s Hat Icon Stage for a grand finale to the day’s festivities, kicking off an awe-inspiring fireworks display set to the glorious music of “Frozen!”
- VIDEO: Star-Lord & Gamora from 'Guardians of the Galaxy' at Villains Unleashed - Peter Quill, aka Star-Lord, and Gamora made their first appearance ever at the Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix Tape Vol. 1 Dance Party during the Villains Unleashed event at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
- Mikala Canoe Club Marina at Polynesian to be closed for refurb - The marina will be closed 9/15 - 9/19/2014. Sail boat/motorized boats and fishing excursions will not be available.
- Entrance 4 to Downtown Disney's parking lot now closed - Entrance 4 (between Cirque du Soleil and DisneyQuest) is now closed permanently. The only entrances are Entrance 2 (across from the Hess Station) and Entrance 5 (across from Typhoon Lagoon).
- VIDEO: Villains Unleashed Opening Ceremony - Villains Unleashed kicked off at Disney's Hollywood Studios with an opening ceremony hosted by Hades, Pain, Panic and Megara from Hercules. Once the stars of the night took the stage they introduced some of the 50 Disney Villains guests could meet at the special hard ticket event.
- VIDEO: Villains Unleashed Event Overview - Over 50 Disney villains took over Disney's Hollywood Studios for the Villains Unleashed Event.
- Times updated for events at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - The Party is a specially ticketed event at the Magic Kingdom that begins September 1.
- Villains' Sinister Soiree add-on available for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - This special add-on will give guests preferred viewing for Mickey's Boo to You Halloween Parade (8:15pm) and the Happy HalloWishes fireworks show. Lady Tremaine will host a dessert soiree at Cinderella's Royal Table Restaurant for you and some of her friends.
- 5 Elements from the Disney Parks that You'll Find on a Disney Cruise Ship - You have been to the Disney Parks, and you love them. You keep going back for that pixie-dust rush. You can’t imagine a vacation apart from Disney Parks, yet somehow the “old and familiar” is getting a bit old and familiar. This is where the Disney Cruise Line enters. It’s a Disney vacation of a different variety. The dissimilarities are a bit obvious. You’re on a ship in the ocean, visiting foreign places. This is nothing like being landlocked in a park, surrounded by coasters and kiosks. So what can you expect from the Disney Parks to carry over to your cruise?
- Blog - "Villains Unleashed" needs leashing up - Disney's overcrowded hard ticket event leaves guests in long lines most of the night
- Mickey's PhilharMagic refurb extended - The end date has been moved from September 19 to the 28th. The attraction will go down September 8.
- Enchanted Tiki Room going down for refurb in late September - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed from 9/27 - 10/3/2014.
- Aulani honored by Fodor's Travel
- Studio Backlot Tour at Disney's Hollywood Studios closing September 27
- New drawbridge for Sleeping Beauty Castle
- Plot details released for Avengers: Age of Ultron
- Protesters demonstrate outside SeaWorld Orlando
- Confirmed: Maelstrom to be replaced by FROZEN attraction
- SeaWorld, Universal and Epcot honored by Amusement Today
- Apple Pay to work at Walt Disney World
- Luxury villa community to be built near Orlando theme parks
- Fifth resort to open at Universal Orlando in Summer 2016